Author Topic: The millionaire monk who renounced it all  (Read 14595 times)

Big Uncle

The millionaire monk who renounced it all
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Interesting news of Mingyur Rinpoche on the The Buddhist Channel:-http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=9,10480,0,0,1,0

Bodhgaya, India -- On first impression, Mingyur Rinpoche seemed to have everything well set up for a high profile career as a globe-trotting meditation teacher in the Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. The youngest of three sons of the late, much venerated Tulku Urgyen, by the age of 36 he had a bestselling book (The Joy of Living) to his name, a monastery in India and Tergar, an international organisation based in the US with branches worldwide.

Mingyur Rinpoche was living comfortably with a retinue of attendants. He was in high demand as a teacher and admired by developed world devotees in particular, for his interest in the scientific implications of meditation – specifically its effect on brain function and the nervous system. He already had 10 years of solitary meditation retreat behind him and Tibetan Buddhist aficionados were impressed with his personal qualities.

But Mingyur Rinpoche was not content to rest on his laurels. Nor was he interested in becoming yet another celebrity guru, living in luxury and spoiled by the adulation accorded to important lamas. One morning in June this year his attendants knocked on the door of his room at his monastery in Bodhgaya, India, and when there was no response they went in to find it empty – except for a letter explaining that he had left for an indeterminate period to become a wandering yogi, meditating wherever he alighted in the Himalayas.

"He took no money, and no possessions," explained his brother Tsoknyi Rinpoche. "He didn't take his passport, his mobile phone or even a toothbrush."

In his letter Mingyur Rinpoche said that from a young age he had "harboured the wish to stay in retreat and practise, wandering from place to place without any fixed location". He advised his followers not to worry about him, assuring them that in a few years they would meet again. To this day no one has any idea of his whereabouts and he has not been in touch with his family.

Mingyur Rinpoche (the title Rinpoche means Precious One) left on his journey from Bodhgaya, the place where the historical Buddha Siddhartha attained enlightenment.

"There's an interesting parallel with the Buddha," says Donald Lopez, professor of Buddhist and Tibetan studies at the University of Michigan. "Since the fall of the Tibetan monarchy in 842, incarnate lamas have served as a kind of aristocracy in Tibet, so a high-ranking tulku is not unlike a prince. Mingyur Rinpoche has renounced royal life, just as Prince Siddhartha did. This radical step that he has taken is essentially a return to the lifestyle that the Buddha prescribed for all monks."

The life of a mendicant monk may have been a viable option for followers of the Buddha in 400BC India and for Tibet's great yogi Milarepa, but among Tibetan tulkus (incarnate lamas) it is virtually unprecedented in the present day. Mingyur Rinpoche's disappearance was greeted by the Tibetan Buddhist establishment with a mixture of astonishment and awe, accustomed as they are to many young tulkus heading off to America in search of fame, fortune and an extravagant lifestyle. They follow precedents set by an older generation of lamas like the late Trungpa Rinpoche, who made no secret of his fondness for vodka and the pleasures of the flesh, and more recently by Sogyal Rinpoche, a notorious womaniser.

Long retreats have become established among western Tibetan Buddhist practitioners, but they usually take place at secure locations and are conducted on a group basis. They are also expensive – especially for people who have to put their careers on hold in order to take part. So is it likely that more aspirant yogis and young lamas will follow Mingyur Rinpoche's example?

"We see his decision as very positive," says Cortland Dahl, the director of Mingyur Rinpoche's organisation Tergar. "It's an inspiration. You read about people doing this in the past, but no one seems to want to do it in this modern age."

Dahl points out that it must have taken some courage: "Rinpoche suffered from panic attacks when he was a child and there he was, heading off into the unknown in Bihar – one of the most bandit-ridden states in India."

The British yogi-lama Ngakpa Chogyam, however, does not fear for Mingyur Rinpoche's wellbeing:

"Religious mendicancy is understood in the Himalayan regions – but it is probably only viable for Tibetans and Indian sadhus. I imagine that Mingyur Rinpoche would be likely to find sponsors wherever he went. The main problem he might face would be people wanting to do too much for him – and he would probably have to spend some time escaping from generous benefactors."

Cortland Dahl says Mingyur Rinpoche is not only uninterested in fame and money, he is also a "pure monk" who maintains vows that include celibacy. He has this in common with a small number of young tulkus – including Kalu Rinpoche and the 17th Karmapa Orgyen Trinley Dorje. It seems as if Tibetan Buddhism might be at a turning point – away from widespread allegations of corruption and towards a revival of the principles laid down by the historical Buddha.

Jessie Fong

Re: The millionaire monk who renounced it all
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Dear Big Uncle

Has there been further news / updates of Mingyur Rinpoche?  The article you posted / extracted was dated 2011.

Thanks.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »
Another interesting article about Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

WHERE’S YONGEY?

As if Buddhism weren’t fascinating enough. Now the eastern religion/philosophy/belief-value system/way of life (touch 5 on your touch-tone mind for more choices) has turned the world of fame on its head. To be a star in Buddhism, you have to flee the limelight. Or just about any artificial light. And permanent shelter.

In March, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, author of two books on meditation in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, up and left his comfortable lodgings at the Tergar Monastery in Bodhgaya, India to wander where fate takes him, a mendicant monk, unaccompanied by people or possessions. In a letter to his followers, Mingyur Rinpoche (“rinpoche” is a Tibetan honorific bestowed on reincarnated lamas and those who achieve great things in meditation) explained that he has wanted to do this from childhood, and that his Tergar colleagues and students should proceed with their Buddhist practice and not worry.

The Tibetan Buddhist author Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, 38, left his monastery to be a wandering monk — without telling anyone.

Mingyur Rinpoche was poised on the edge of international stardom, which seems funny to say for a simple Buddhist monk. The disciplines of Buddhism don’t require complete denial of self, but nothing about Mingyur Rinpoche’s writing suggested inordinate ambition or ego. True, he traveled extensively, offering instruction in meditation and what has come to be known as “mindfulness” — the acknowledgement without judgment of mental processes in a way that can lead to a quiet, peaceful and more powerful mind. But he never seemed bent on profit-taking, on opening Minyur Centres or any such thing as you’d find in a strip mall between the Sport Clips and the GNC. Instead, Mingyur Rinpoche appeared content to continue his teachings, perhaps write another book, and live in the tradition he learned from his father, the late meditation master Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche.

It was my yoga teacher, Gerry Lishin of Southwest Orlando Yoga, who turned me on to Mingyur Rinpoche. I saw him reading the monk’s second book, Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom. Despite my distaste for anything that sounds like a self-help title, I asked about it. After all, I had been enjoying some of the spiritual and calmness benefits of yoga. Why not dig into the meditative end as well?

“Sure, you can have this copy,” Gerry said. “I’m reading it for the second time.” Next class, he handed it over. I started reading on my last trip to Asia. Seemed appropriate.

Mingyur Rinpoche’s latest book

No way this guy can have star ambitions. The language is simple (he speaks English, but he did have help from a native English-speaking co-author, Eric Swanson). There is no circular reasoning or faux mysticism. Mingyur Rinpoche acknowledges the difficulties of modern life, whether you live east or west, whether you grew up in a Tibetan monastery or a Toronto duplex. Unlike so many yogis gone Hollywood, M.Y. has no judgment in his tone. You’re not bad for being who you are, or for not being like him.

This has been refreshing, and with my psychic defenses discarded as unnecessary, I have been able to learn some things. (I’m a little more than halfway through the book.) And what I don’t know or understand, I eventually will. No rush. The whole experience has made me want to meet Mingyur Rinpoche.

Which I may end up doing sooner than I thought. I mean, where is this dude? I don’t care how serene he is; I’m worried about him. There was a rumor of a sighting in Nepal, but the reporter of the gossip predicted that if Mingyur Rinpoche caught wind of any sort of publicity, he would vanish.

Source: Adam Barr. Adam Barr is a television screenwriter and producer best known for his comedy credits, including the hit NBC series Will & Grace.

bambi

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
How wonderful and inspirational to read news like this. Talk about attachements!  :-[

To be able to give up everything to have Dharma and for Dharma is something not everyone can do. And to do retreat without letting anyone know, wandering off into the Himalayas! Exciting! The Dharma center I go to need sponsors so much and here Migyur Rinpoche is avoiding them. LOL

I went to the website and their updates are not really up to date. Only that the students are also in a retreat to help clear their Guru's good health, longevity and no obstacles during His retreat. How wonderful!

http://www.yongey.org/main/events.htm

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
This is so inspiring. It really shows what a true yogi Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche is. Imagine, to leave all the convenience and comfort of home to be a wandering yogi never having a schedule to follow. Sometimes I wish I would be able to do this too. I would feel so lost even if I left my house without my mobile phone. May Rinpoche have a fruitful retreat and write about his journey when he returns.

Tammy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:18 AM »
An interesting way to liken some Tulku's lifestyle in the West to a prince !

I think this came from people who are not very familiar with the concept of taking great of the high and learned lamas so that they could concentrate in teaching and their work in spread dharma.

As it was printed out Yongey Rinpoche left this monastery in 2011, it wold be interesting to know if anyone has any idea of his whereabouts. However, I am sure he will return from his retreat to continue his life mission.
Down with the BAN!!!

kris

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
Talking about letting go attachments! :)

Highly attained practitioners have their reasons for certain things which may not be understood by us normal people, and we can only judge by their result (of whether Dharma grows around them).

At first, I thought that Rinpoche has gained so much and he should use his wealth to benefit others, but hey, who am I to judge?

After deeper thoughts, I think there must be special meaning why He did what He did.. May be He is teaching impermanence to His students?

I have also heard that there are many Rinpoches who just wish to do retreats in the caves and mountains..

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
I don't see it strange in anyway for attained masters to be strongly drawn to be in retreats alone. These beings are who they are because they have renunciation thus, glory in our worldly terms means nothing to them. It is how they can benefit others short and long term which concerns them.

What would you do if your lama leaves one day "out of the blue"?

It is important to continue to practice what has been taught, keep the commitments else it would have defeated the whole reason to have met the lama in the first place.

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
I think Migyur Rinpoche's actions really showed how much He had attained. His sometimes contradicting ways (going away when your sponsors are waiting for you) is just an example to name the least. For a lot of other people, they would have jumped onto trying to meet their sponsors but not Migyur Rinpoche.

He is certainly one of the best Lamas around as we can see from the result he achieved through having a bestselling book to his name. To add to that he also have a lot of other centres worldwide. So if he's not the somebody, will he be able to achieve these?

Klein

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Dear Big Uncle

Has there been further news / updates of Mingyur Rinpoche?  The article you posted / extracted was dated 2011.

Thanks.

The following article is extracted from Shambala Sun in March 2012. Looks like Mingyur Rinpoche is still wandering around.

More than eight months have passed since Mingyur Rinpoche disappeared, and still no one knows where he is. Cortland Dahl is the president of the board of Tergar International, a network of meditation centers and study groups under Mingyur Rinpoche’s guidance. When I ask Dahl if he has any guesses regarding his teacher’s whereabouts, he tells me that the short answer is no, but that there have been rumors.

“I just heard on Facebook,” Dahl tells me, “that he was seen at Tso Pema, which is a famous pilgrimage site in northern India, and I heard someone else say they had an unconfirmed sighting in Ladakh. I have no idea if they really did see him. But if anybody did, and he got the sense that people knew he was there, I’m sure the first thing he would do is pack up and head somewhere else.”

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was a rising star in the Buddhist world. The author of two bestselling books, he had a large community of students around the globe, and he was the abbot of Tergar Osel Ling Monastery in Nepal and Tergar Rigzin Khacho Targye Ling Monastery in India. Adding it all up, when he slipped away last June, he was leaving a lot behind.

According to Cortland Dahl, Mingyur Rinpoche’s panic attacks led him to begin practicing and studying the dharma in a very atypical way for a lama—a way much closer to how we in the West approach it. He believes that one of the reasons that Mingyur Rinpoche’s teachings resonate so much with Western students is his willingness to talk about his own personal challenges.

“For cultural reasons,” Dahl explains, “lamas are happy to talk about other people’s issues, yet they don’t typically talk about their own struggles with practice or emotions. Yes, he was a tulku, a reincarnate lama, and yes, he grew up in this amazing environment with a family of great teachers. But he studied the dharma not only because that’s the typical training of a young tulku, but because he desperately needed it. He really wanted to find a way to work through this painful episode in his life."

“In a similar way, a lot of us in the West have come to Buddhism because we’re suffering and we want some way to work with our minds. Mingyur Rinpoche can really speak to our experience in a very direct way. It’s not only that he went through it, but that he is candid about it.”

In a world that equates happiness with big-ticket items, Mingyur Rinpoche stands in stark contrast. Even before leaving the monastery with just the clothes on his back, he had an ultra simple life. Extremely health conscious, he didn’t eat any meat or refined sugars and he jogged every day. He jogged in old penny loafers. Once, some people wanted to buy him some sneakers, but his response was, “Thank you, but I don’t need them—they won’t fit in my bag.” The one bag he carried with him when he traveled was that tiny.

“Renunciation is the core of the Buddhist path, so if the primary role of the lama is to teach others by giving talks, wandering practice helps them to do that, because it develops their own inner qualities. But lamas can also teach by way of demonstration, and being an exemplar of the renunciate lifestyle is a very powerful way to teach people to rethink their ordinary relationship to their lives and their possessions.”

At the Garrison Institute in July, Sogyal Rinpoche, the author of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, spoke about Mingyur Rinpoche’s retreat as a wandering yogi. “In the future, Sogyal Rinpoche said, “he’ll be someone we all look toward as a guide and refuge.”

Mingyur Rinpoche is expected to wander for three to five years, possibly longer, and to come back in the same way he left. Without warning.

Meanwhile, Myoshin Kelley believes that Mingyur Rinpoche is spending or will spend at least part of his time in the mountains. “This is not only for his love of them,” she says, “but because they are such a conducive environment for meditation. He has frequently told stories of yogis coming down from the cave to test their practice in the marketplace. Maybe he will first head for the mountains and then find his way to the chaos of a big city. Really, Mingyur Rinpoche could turn up anywhere and I find this a fun thought. Keep your eyes open and treat everyone as if they are your guru!”

Manjushri

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
This is a strong story to illustrate to all that if one can do it, so can you. A monk is still human, except with a set of vows. But he still has the very choices to make and has the very choice to break them all. Therefore this shows that like you and I, Migyur Rinpoche had to make decisions and choices, and he shows us that the choice we make, does not need to be difficult at all if we set our mind to it.

Attachment to material goods, and physical goods obviously does nothing for one towards enlightenment as Buddha showed. If money and material goodness did any good for one in their journey towards enlightenment, then Buddha wouldn't have renounced all that he had. The very fact that Buddha renounced his wealth, status shows that those do not play even the slightest role for you to achieve a state of liberation, and now Migyur Rinpoche is walking the same path, to show today's society what needs to be done to achieve results in one's spiritual journey. Attachment is just a state of mind, that will only serve to hold you back from advancing on your spiritual practice.

vajrastorm

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche is a fascinating Lama. At the age of nine he was studying about physics, biology and cosmology from his famous father's (Tulku Urgen Rinpoche's)Western students who were scientists. He even learnt about the science of the mind from world renowned Francisco Varela who was a student of his father at that time too. These lessons in science left a profound impact on him and inspired him to make it his life-long interest to bring principles of Tibetan Buddhism and science together. He became an active participant in the Mind and Life Institute conferences and experiments(on meditation). He became a world-renowned teacher of Tibetan meditation. I am currently reading his bestseller "The JOy of Living", which is filled with a great sense of joyous effort of its writer.

I believe that it was a great act of renunciation for him to leave all the trappings of fame and fine living to wander among the mountains and caves as a mendicant yogi. But he's actually following the footsteps of Tilopa, the founder of his Kagyu Lineage. Finally, I think he is also subjecting himself to an experiment for scientists to study him upon his return, when he would have truly attained the ultimate mind of peace.

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
Highly attained Masters are not drawn to the trappings of life. They have let go of their attachments. As mentioned by Mingyur Rinpoche, he has become disillusioned with this life and according to his hand written letter, it was his genuine conviction in the lineage and instructions that he had received and the motivation to benefit others that had prompted him to be a wandering yogi.

Letter from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

I write this letter to all the wise and pure-intentioned individuals who rely on me, both the monastic communities and lay practitioners throughout India, Nepal, and Tibet.

From a young age, I have harbored the wish to stay in retreat and practice, wandering from place to place without any fixed location. I also received an ocean of instructions from my glorious and kind root gurus. Though I have attempted to stay in retreat and practice, I have passed the rest of my time in laziness and diversions, letting my life come to nothing more than a distraction.

I have made a firm decision, based on the advice of the great masters of times past and my own heart's desire, to, as the example goes, take the reins into my own hands. Our lives are as fragile as a bubble and the activities of this life are as endless as the waves of the ocean. Yet whatever we do, we should rely upon and place our hopes in the Buddha's sacred and divine teachings. It is the Dharma that will benefit both us and other sentient beings. For this and other reasons, I have become disillusioned with the experiences of this life.

With genuine conviction in the lineage and instructions I have received, along with a motivation to be of benefit to others, various causes and conditions have prompted me to make the decision to wander alone, without fixed location, in remote mountain ranges. Though I do not claim to be like the great masters of times past, I am now embarking on this journey as a mere reflection of these teachers, as a faithful imitation of the example they set. For a number of years, my training will consist of simply leaving behind my connections, so please do not be upset with my decision.

As I have recommended before, throughout this period it is important to study, contemplate, and meditate. With a sense of harmony and pure discipline as a basis, it is important to study and contemplate the traditional scriptures of the Buddhist tradition, and [to learn] the traditions, practices, fields of knowledge, and other disciplines [taught in our lineage]. It is especially important to not always focus your attention outward, but to apply the teachings to your own mind. You should calm and pacify your own mind stream. It is important to bring benefit to the Buddha's teachings and to your fellow sentient beings.

There is no need to worry about me. After a few years, we will meet again and, as before, gather together as teacher and student to enjoy a feast of the Dharma. Until that time, I will continually pray to the Three Jewels and make aspirations on your behalf.

Tulku Mingyur

so_003

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »
In this sharing show...it show how much Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche have achieve. Altho he had a panic attack before it never stops him form moving further to go from places to places to practice. It is unbelievable how he can let go of everything and just move on to do his retreat. No cell phone, no contact....wow...

He also reminds me of Buddha that left his Palace to seek The Truth and also Jesus that was also silent in the bible for sometime (in the book call The Lost Years of Jesus). Hmm...high attainment...

I wish I could do what Mingyur Rinpoche does. If not in this life may the next life I'm able. Hehe...

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
 The life of a mendicant monk may have been a viable option for followers of the Buddha in 400BC India and for Tibet's great yogi Milarepa, but among Tibetan tulkus (incarnate lamas) it is virtually unprecedented in the present day. Mingyur Rinpoche's disappearance was greeted by the Tibetan Buddhist establishment with a mixture of astonishment and awe, accustomed as they are to many young tulkus heading off to America in search of fame, fortune and an extravagant lifestyle. They follow precedents set by an older generation of lamas like the late Trungpa Rinpoche, who made no secret of his fondness for vodka and the pleasures of the flesh, and more recently by Sogyal Rinpoche, a notorious womaniser.

Cortland Dahl says Mingyur Rinpoche is not only uninterested in fame and money, he is also a "pure monk" who maintains vows that include celibacy. He has this in common with a small number of young tulkus – including Kalu Rinpoche and the 17th Karmapa Orgyen Trinley Dorje. It seems as if Tibetan Buddhism might be at a turning point – away from widespread allegations of corruption and towards a revival of the principles laid down by the historical Buddha.