Author Topic: One more question on yidams  (Read 4275 times)

dharmabrother

• Email
One more question on yidams
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
May I ask one more question.. If I chose a yidam say medicine buddha or yamantaka, how does one do it.. I know I visualize but do I do a sadhana or just mantra and visualization?

Ensapa

• Email
Re: One more question on yidams
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
Usually the Yidam is chosen by the lama for the student and depending on the students' needs, the lama might prescribe a certain way of visualizing that suits the students' needs. If you do not have a Lama to assign you a Yidam, you can do the sadhanas that are meant for the uninitiated. At this day and age, many Buddhist bookshops will indicate if the sadhana or text requires an initiation before the practice can be done. It is best to stay away from practices that require initiations if you have not acquired any. The sadhana of the Yidam itself would usually indicate on how you should visualize the deity. This is stated in the invocation part. Take for example, as found in the Dorje Shugden sadhana:

HUM
I have the clarity of the Yidam.
Before me in the centre of red and black fire and wind,
visualize being surrounded by flames  and a wind that are red and black in color, like what you see on flaming yidams.

On a lotus and sun, trampling demons and obstructors,
Lotus and sun here means the lotus base that the deity sits on. refer to the above as you can see the moon cushion on the lotus.
Is a terrifying lion, which is powerful and alert.
Visualize the snow lion.

Upon this sits the great king Dorje Shugden,
The supreme Heart Jewel of Dharma Protectors.
His body is clothed in the garments of a monk,
And on his head he wears a round, yellow hat.

His hands hold a sword and a heart of compassion.
To his followers he shows an expression of delight,
But to subdue demons and obstructors he displays a wrathful manner.
He is surrounded by a vast, assembled retinue
Such as his attendant Kache Marpo and so forth.

Light rays from my heart
Instantly invite the wisdom beings from the sphere of nature
And from all the palaces where they abide.
They become inseperable from the commitment beings.

From the sadhana, you can see that it is exactly like how the image is. An easy way is to just visualize the yidam as according to the picture, without referring to the picture, and as detailed as possible.

Big Uncle

Re: One more question on yidams
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
Please remember that yidam practice is Tantric practice and therefore, maintenance of our Samaya to our Lama is of paramount importance. One have to understand the 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion and be able to practice it. For lower Tantric initiations like Manjushri, Lama Tsongkhapa, Dzambala, Tara and so forth, one will be taking the refuge vows and Bodhisattva Vows as well. So, we must understand what the vows entail and how to hold them and what do we do when we have infringed upon our vows. For higher initiations like Heruka, Yamantaka, Kalachakra, Vajrayogini and so forth, we have to take up Tantric vows and commitments on top of the Bodhisattva and Refuge Vows.

Once we understand what the vows entail and how to maintain the vows and the Lama feels that we are able to maintain the vows, then an initiation of a yidam would be given. However, most Lamas would generally just offer large initiations in Dharma centers and it would be up to the center's teachers to educate and prepare the students to receive initiations. However, the choice of yidam would usually be prescribed the Lama based upon the student's karma and affinity. Some centers even prescribe a general yidam for everyone like Lama Tsongkhapa's Gaden Lhagyema practice for all.