Author Topic: Gang Rape - what drove them to it?  (Read 13437 times)

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Gang Rape - what drove them to it?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
The violence subsided after some 90 minutes of running battles during which crowds charged at security forces around India Gate and retreated in the face of teargas and batons.

"We hope these protests wake up the government," said Rakesh Kumar, a businessman in south Delhi who was at the site with his wife and two young daughters.

The younger protesters were more militant and angry.

Pallavi, a 25-year-old working for a multinational, said: "The government is sleeping... The law against rape must be stronger and should be implemented properly."

Delhi University student Hemant said the protests would continue "until we are assured that girls are safe in Delhi".

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Well I definitely think that men who rape do it because they want to control and degrade someone and in this case, it's a woman. They want to do that is because either they have been degraded their whole lives, been treat the same way before and have seen similar examples when they were younger in a senior like a parent or a guardian.

In societies like India where sexual harassment is commonplace and tolerated, that's when boundaries are easily pushed and very few people actually care, that's where you see that sexual crimes will keep increasing. There's little that can be done except having spreading more awareness especially amongst the lesser educated members of society in the great slums throughout India.

It is quite sad that such a spiritual society like India has degenerated in this manner. What happened to the age-old customs of old and the unspoken etiquette of respect and of spiritual enquiry and pursuit? Perhaps, someone has got to do more to educate the younger generation of the virtues of spirituality in a progressive manner that would appeal to the respective segments of society.

You have forgotten that India has been invaded by the British empire and perhaps, that is what that has weakened India on an economic level. If you check them out, the gap between the rich and the poor is huge. When this happens, people will focus more on making a living and ethics become something secondary to them rather than it being a necessity. Honor is useless if it does not feed the empty stomach at the end. Perhaps, one day, India may turn back to Buddhism for answers, just like what China did.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »

A 17-year-old Indian girl who was gang-raped committed suicide after police pressured her to drop the case and marry one of her attackers, police and a relative said on Thursday.

Amid the ongoing uproar over the gang-rape of a student on a bus in New Delhi earlier this month, the latest case has again shone the spotlight on the police's handling of sex crimes.

One police officer has been sacked and another suspended over their conduct after the assault during the festival of Diwali on November 13 in the Patiala region in the Punjab, according to officials.

The teenager was found dead on Wednesday night after swallowing poison.

Inspector General Paramjit Singh Gill said that the teenager had been "running from pillar to post to get her case registered" but officers failed to open a formal inquiry.

"One of the officers tried to convince her to withdraw the case," Gill, the police chief for the area, told AFP.

Before her death, there had been no arrests over her case although three people were detained on Thursday. Two of them were her alleged male attackers and the third was a suspected woman accomplice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------: ---------------------------------

In another rape case, the victim was found dead from committing suicide.  The police had pressured her to drop her case and asked her to marry one of the attackers.

I fail to comprehend why the police decided on that course of action.  I guess that police officer did not bother to find out how the rape victim felt, having been physically brutalised and her dignity taken away, and to be asked to marry one of the attackers.  Wouldn't that have given the attacker a license to continue abusing her sexually?

Positive Change

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
It is a known phenomena that many people would do things in a group that they wouldn't do alone. The group gives a sense of "protection", because even when doing un-virtuous actions, they are done in the company of others, therefore the blame (it seems) is shared and seems less heavy a burden, and so it seems, is the culpability also. This is illusory!
Within a group, to speak up and stand against something un-virtuous going on while everyone is indulging in it is a very courageous act. It is going against all, it is facing the possibility of the same torments that we witness...

I had a philosophy teacher who asked us once this very difficult question that divided us then and divides the world still today: "between the victim and the executioner, which do you choose to be?".
What is gonna be your pick?

Dear Hope Rainbow the question you have posed here is most interesting and prompts much thought. For me, it clearly denotes the workings of karma and that regardless of whether we think we are the victims or the perpetrators, the link between the two is explicitly intertwined.

In essence there really is no difference because if we were the victim we have the karma to be victimise and if we were the perpetrators we have the karma to hurt others because of our inter related karma with them. There has to be some link from a previous life or lives to have such "explosive" results. Perhaps the reverse resulted in a previous life and it culminates to this point. It will continue to "exchange" as long as this cycle is NOT broken. Hence our practice of compassion and forgiveness is of utmost importance!

dsiluvu

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
Imagine the group karma they collected from this act. And even if one or two person from the group does it and some does not... the one that does not who just stands there and watch also collect the negative karma...

Then we also have to understand the karma of the "victim", how did ended up in such a situation to experience this kind of harm and hurt... the cause resembles the results and Dharma makes us realise how we can deal with such horrible incidences with acceptance, forgiveness and patience...

We are so fortunate to be able to come across the Dharma and for some of us... a Lama. We should always treasure this.

The rapist if do not regret and remorse will eventually face their hardest judge... their own karma. The "victim" can either rise above it and gain strength from it like Oprah Winfrey, who also was a victim of such abuse or they could spiral down... if the rise above it, it could be one heavy karma purified.

I found this quote quite apt.... 

Galen

• Email
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
What has happened to society? In India where society still thinks that the men are far more superior than women has created this incident and many more that were not reported. Many of the women folk are too distraught, traumatised and scared to report when rape happens to them because culture still thinks that the women are the ones at fault because they do not handle themselves well and are the object that lure the men. It is not what they wear or how they behave that caused the rape to occur! It is the men who wants to have control. Most likely, the men are insecure themselves that they have to resort to hurting women to gain their own confidence. How sad!

This happens when there is still inequality in society.

Being in India where spirituality (Buddhism and Hinduism) is widely practiced, we would expect that the morals of people would be higher but this is not the case. I guess that actions are still bounded by culture and habits that was inherited from previous generations where a gender is considered more superior that the other. We have to change this!

ratanasutra

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
The rapists created a negative karma from their harmful action which hurt the victim on both physical and mentally. How the victim can deal with this bad situation is depend on how strong of her mind and understand the truth of karma as many of them could not take it and the whole future got destroy.

In this degenerate time, there will be more cases happened which reflect how people mind operate now. 

diamond girl

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Personally, I cannot find anywhere in me to address this matter on a spiritual level. These men who raped are just scum worse than animals. It is not lust nor desire but pure evil. Even if they throw in the alcohol it is still not an excuse to commit such a despicable inhuman act. It is absolutely abhorring to read this. The girl has died. Nothing and no one can ever change that or take away the pain of her family. Nor the pain to her soul. Imagine her mind when she passed, the suffering...where will she reincarnate to? These rapists have not only raped her physically but also tore away her soul. Even if the rapists are punished by stoning, the damage and karma is done.

I do not wish them any forgiveness and I wish they be punished severely. And should there be any salvation for them, I hope they can take the karma they have accumulated. I can expect them to return as animals. May Buddha's compassion help them then that they are not tortured as an animal.   

Q

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »
Horrible news...

Imagine, to be born and live in a group of friends that encourage you to create negative karma by performing terrible deeds such as this... what type of karma they must have had to be in the situation where they find raping a women is fun...

I highly doubt this is due to lust... Lust comes in many different forms and it makes people chase after pleasures the body can provide. But rape is different.

Majority cases of rape is due to anger and the need to feel powerful. These men who raped the girl must have shared this common thoughts... their anger towards women and their need to feel they are overpowering one. These are all psychological issues that are not addressed and corrected... unfortunately, it ended up to this.

There really is no point for us to 'wish these boys get punished'... they will. The truth of karma is no exception to anyone, everyone experiences it equally... karma will come back and they will pay their debt just as how the girl paid her debt.

Big Uncle

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
You have forgotten that India has been invaded by the British empire and perhaps, that is what that has weakened India on an economic level. If you check them out, the gap between the rich and the poor is huge. When this happens, people will focus more on making a living and ethics become something secondary to them rather than it being a necessity. Honor is useless if it does not feed the empty stomach at the end. Perhaps, one day, India may turn back to Buddhism for answers, just like what China did.

India is independent for over 50 years now. They have half a century to rebuild their plundered economy. Japan was in a worst state after the second world war but it has soared to become a world economic power. So, you point does not hold water. On top of that, there are many countries around the world that is just as poor and worse but their crime rate against women are not as high in terms of percentage.

Since its not poverty that is causing violence against women, it must be misogyny, which is general hatred towards women by men in the way I had described in my previous answer. Here's what have been ruminating by the press and certain individuals on CNN and I think the explanations are pretty spot in presenting the reasons behind a whole culture that allows for violation against woman on CNN's website...

Misogyny in India: We are all guilty
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/30/world/asia/misogyny-india/index.html?hpt=ias_mid
By Leeza Mangaldas, Special to CNN
December 30, 2012 -- Updated 0953 GMT (1753 HKT)

Mumbai, India (CNN) -- Misogyny is so deeply rooted in India's collective psychology that even the president's son -- in this case, Congress Parliament member Abhijit Mukherjee -- could entangle himself with a remark against women protesting gang rape.

He called them "dented and painted women" who go to discos, have little connection with ground realities and are making candlelight vigils fashionable.

After an enormous backlash, he apologized and retracted his comments, but many are not satisfied and want his resignation

Misogyny has long permeated our textbooks, our pedagogy and our parenting. In fact, it runs so deep that it reflects itself even in our linguistics. The Hindi phrase most commonly used to describe sexual violence or rape against women is "izzat lootna," which means "to steal the honor of." Another Hindi word used for rape, "balatkar" (or "bad act"), is considered so erudite and technical that it's barely ever used. (Its English equivalent would be "coitus" instead of "sex.")

So, for the most part, we're stuck with "izzat lootna" -- and the necessary question: Why should a rapist be given so much credit? Rape is a criminal act of force and perverse subjugation. When a woman is raped, her most fundamental rights as a human being are violated.

Yet, she is just as honorable as she ever was. Honor cannot be stolen. It can only be surrendered. Surely in the act of rape, it is the perpetrator, not the victim, who surrenders honor.

The brave girl from Delhi died with her honor intact. Her rapists will live in ignominy.

Unfortunately, in India rape is inextricably linked by men -- and women -- to shame: the ultimate desecration. Many victims are murdered by their rapists or choose to commit suicide. It is also not uncommon for the parents of rape victims to kill themselves. Thus, most victims don't speak up about what happened to them, lest their families be ostracized, lest they never find a husband or be shunned by their friends.

About 10 months ago, I was offered a role of a young, urban woman who gets gang raped. The film explores how she chooses to deal with what happens to her. It is a very powerful script, and most of me wanted to accept the role immediately. But a gnawing part of me worried about how I'd be perceived by the general public were I to perform this role.

Female sexuality in Hindi cinema is extremely fraught, especially because audiences seem unable to comprehend the distinction between what a role demands from an actor and that person's conduct offscreen.
In the script the woman is attractive, confident and self aware; she'd had several consensual relationships with men and enjoyed her sexuality. Truth be told, her character is not far from me in real life. Still, in patriarchal, judgmental, misogynistic Indian society, these are labels most women are afraid to carry publicly. On top of this, the character gets raped.

I was afraid to accept the role. Afraid of whether audiences and the media would think I was promiscuous, desecrated. Embarrassed at the prospect of saying I'm doing a film in which I get raped, lest aspersions be cast on my character.

There lay, in my own mind, the seeds of the same misogyny that makes Mr. Mukherjee's remarks in the wake of the student's gang rape so deplorable. Seeds I had to uproot at once. I accepted the role.

At the time I was offered the film, rape wasn't getting the sort of national attention it is getting right now. It was still a topic that made most people uncomfortable, a topic that women and men alike were not able to freely express their opinions on.

That India's young public is today demanding so vocally the need to address the way we view sexuality and gender equality is empowering. People are sharing their own experiences of sexual violence on blogs and social media. Men and women are collaborating to seek legal reform, to challenge the societal perceptions they have been force-fed.
We now understand that to remain silent bystanders of a crime is to collude with the criminal. It is clear to me that as actors, filmmakers, artists, journalists, activists -- people who use a medium that has the potential to reach so many minds -- it is our responsibility to educate and mobilize, while we entertain.

For the last 10 months, as we have been rehearsing and shooting, the subject of rape has been my foremost preoccupation. Two points have struck me in particular: First, the director, who is also the scriptwriter, is male. His co-writer, the music composer, is also male. These two artists, Tarun Chopra and Daboo Malik, chose to champion a cause that almost always gets packaged as a women's issue.

In India, sexual violence is perpetrated almost entirely by men. Rapists are male. Should men not feel responsible then to prevent the occurrence of this crime? Shouldn't men be disturbed that their mothers, sisters, wives and daughters constantly feel unsafe or feel they have to dress and behave in a particular way to avoid getting raped? Isn't it time men educated other men about consent?

Secondly, and this point took me longer to acknowledge, women are as guilty as men for the mindset that breeds the crime. We kill our own infant daughters, we immolate our sons' wives if they bear female children, we disapprove of women who make an effort to be attractive -- and doubt their character. We still look at marriage as if it's the purpose for which we were born.

But misogyny is no longer misogyny when expressed by a woman. It's self-loathing.

And while it is easy -- and justified -- for women to point fingers at men for the chauvinism in our society, don't we owe it to ourselves to look within?

Tenzin K

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
When the gap of the rich and poor are great the criminal rate will follow. The Poor will only think of how to make more money regardless of whether it’s legal and neglect the human value and moral. It happen to some other country that having the same situation.

The spiritual teaching is very important regardless of the wealth status, skin color, sexes or your ages. The human value and the right conduct is very important to build a strong society that directly build a stable country. Very much now the education system only emphasize on the academic. Spiritual play the same important subject to mold the behavior of the individual.

For the people that convicted the crime, what a negative karma that they created for themselves and it could be due to negative imprint too. What a waste of their precious life.

This is one of the place that we never one to be reborn at and may we able to contribute in any meritorious act and collect more merits to help more people.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
I found the Dalai Lama's say in this incident:

The Dalai Lama on Delhi gang rape: Very, very sad, Degeneration of moral values
Phayul[Monday, December 31, 2012 17:23]

Indian women shout slogans in front of India Gate during a protest in New Delhi, India on December 21, 2012.

DHARAMSHALA, December 31: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has said the recent incident of a brutal gang rape of a young girl in New Delhi is “very, very sad” and expressed his concern over the degeneration of moral values in the society.

The Dalai Lama was speaking to a major Indian news channel NDTV in the Indian capital.

“Firstly, such incidents are really very, very sad,” the 77-year-old Tibetan spiritual leader said. “India is a huge country with a long history and a very, very civilised cultural heritage of non-violence - ahimsa.”

The Dalai Lama noted that although material development with modern education is helpful and necessary, he urged concerned people to pay more serious attention in developing India’s own ancient traditional values.

“These traditional values are basis of moral principles, now that is lacking.”

The Tibetan leader who has lived in India for over five decades now and calls the country his home added that he is concerned over the degeneration of India’s thousands of years old values.

‘Delhi’s Braveheart,’ a 23-year-old medical student, succumbed to her injuries in a hospital in Singapore on Saturday after a gruelling 13-day ordeal. She was repeatedly raped on a moving bus in the Indian capital on December 16 and violated with an iron bar before being thrown from the moving vehicle.

The incident came as a cruel wake up shock to the entire nation, prompting massive protests in the capital and in other cities demanding speedy justice, more stringent anti-rape laws and better security for women.

The Dalai Lama is scheduled to leave for Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh to give four days of teachings on Shantideva's A Guide to the Boddhisattva's Way of Life (chodjug) from January 7 to 10. He is also scheduled to inaugurate a three-day International Buddhist Samagam (convention) at the Buddha Smriti Park in Patna. The convention is expected to attract over 1500 delegates from China, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Japan, Myanmar, and other parts of the world.

Will Buddhism be the spiritual answer to the Indians as well?

Barzin

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
Today I was sharing this topic with some friends and my friend told me this piece of news which is rather disturbing for me.  It is not gang rape, but a 13 year old civilized boy from my country molested and tried to rape a early twenties girl.  Can you guys imagine that?  She screamed so loud, it was at the petrol station and luckily she got helped by the people there.  I can not imagine even a thought of raping a girl exist in a 13 year old boy.  We might ask what the world has become?  The younger generation definitely is harder to control due to easy access to information eg the internet...  Hence as parents, it is so important to educate the kids on to the right path... So that we can guide them the right way at least.

Manjushri

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »
By raping and exerting control over someone, the rapist is able to show dominance and power. Maybe by doing this, it covers and boost the rapist's esteem which he lacks in and from other aspects. Getting pleasure from inflicting pain onto others can only arise from a psychological problem. Who would do that? Any sane person wouldnt go about raping others and beating them up just for their own pleasure!

What Karma do the people have for wanting to inflict pain onto others incessantly. And this goes in a cycle and never stops! In their next life, I wonder what repercussions they will have to endure!

I remember in school, there was also a rape case, involving a 17 year old and a 12 year old girl, who had a little autism. The family of the 12 year old were deeply saddened by the case, but what was worst was the torment and bully the 12 year old girl got after the news was leaked out. Not only did she have to endure the pain of the rape, she had to endure and relive the experience even after the incident Bullying is also another form of "rape", though sometimes not physical, the pain and hurt inflicted on the victim and the "glory" and "power" felt by the bully is alike. Stems from the same basis.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:49 AM »
Rape is an absolutely heinous crime that totally violates a person physically, emotionally and mentally for the rest of the victim's life. It is as horrific as 'killing' the victim as the poor victim carries this trauma within her constantly.
Especially in gang rape situations, the rapists are fuelled with 'the moral support' of the each other and the whole gang - and this basically works on the 'pack mentality ' attitude. Only man commits this horrific crime as no other living being does it. In the animal kingdom, animals usually move and live in packs, and when one of their pack is threatened , the rest of the pack then attacks to protect.
These rapists are driven to gang rape due to lust, ignorance, power and control over the victim, their own issues of insecurities, anger, frustration , lack of compassion etc etc. Whatever it is , they are just worse than animals . What negative karma they would have created for themselves !!!