Author Topic: More contradictory statements.  (Read 7513 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
More contradictory statements.
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I recently came across an old interview with the Dalai Lama’s elder brother, Thubten Jigme Norbu. In it, he spoke about Dorje Shugden. While it is natural for the Dalai Lama’s own brother to adopt HH’s stance on Dorje Shugden, closer examination of the interview indicates a lot of contradictions (some of which are so obvious) which leads me to ask if the HHDL’s own brother is advising people to really think for themselves instead of merely following the ban.

Highlighted are some of the statements made by TJN that should get people thinking.

Lopez: Within this context that you’ve described, who is Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: You know, I was brought up in the Kumbum monastery [in Amdo, built at Tsongkhapa’s birthplace]. Until I was seventeen or eighteen, when I came to Lhasa, I never heard about Dorje Shugden. In Lhasa, people talked about Shugden this and that. But I never paid any attention. Then, ever since His Holiness tried to tell people not to worship - or not to take refuge in - Shugden, I tried to learn a little.

Lopez: Did you know Pabongka Rinpoche at all in Tibet?

Norbu: Of course. Pabongka Rinpoche is one of the most popular teachers of our century. But he propagated so much about this Shugden. Recently, I heard that the Thirteenth Dalai Lama had asked him to stop this promoting of Shugden. So then he slowed down a little, but after His Holiness, the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, passed away, then he tried to do all that all over again. I never met him personally. But he’s one of the learned teachers of the lamas, one of the important ones.

Lopez: And Pabongka Rinpoche would give the sok-deh ceremony for Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: He must have done lots, yes. That’s why the Thirteenth Dalai Lama stopped him.

Lopez: So,is Dorje Shugden a transcendent protector or a worldly protector?

Norbu: He’s definitely a worldly god. I put him in the hungry ghost category. You know that in Buddhism, when you die and you take rebirth, the rebirth must be in one of these six places. He’s not a god, he’s not a demigod, he’s not a human being. Okay - then what three are left? Animals, ghosts, and hell beings. Shugden came back born as a ghost. He was so hungry that he went to the Sakya monastery asking for food. One of the great Sakya lamas said to him: Do no harm to sentient beings, and in return, I will give you a little food. Then he made a little offering and a ceremony, and they went into the temple and they gave him the food. So that means Shugden is a hungry ghost.

Lopez: His Holiness the Dalai Lama has asked Tibetans not to worship Dorje Shugden.

Norbu: That’s right, yes.

Lopez: Why?

Norbu: All Buddhists should look for something to take refuge in and to regard as a protector. You take refuge in the Three Precious Jewels. You cannot have more than that; that’s the only thing - the three principles. Then for the protectors, there are Mahakala, Belden Lhamo, and Tamchen Chogyal. These are there already. So now if you try to come to this Shugden, who is a ghost, then what you’re doing is not very good. Particularly for the monks. Monks have a vow. If you have such a vow, you cannot take refuge in this kind of thing.

Lopez: And then there are also stories that Dorje Shugden has punished people in the past who have mixed Gelugpa and Nyingma.

Norbu: This happened just a few years back, I think. There was a gentleman from Ganden monastery.

Lopez: Zemey Rinpoche.

Norbu: Yes. He tried to say that if any Gelugpa man or Gelugpa lama tried to join or practice the Nyingmapa tradition, then Shugden will take his life. But I’ll tell you something simple. If you are really authentic, if you are a genuine Gelugpa - or a genuine Nyingmapa - you don’t need to worry about all this. All the lamas and protectors can take care of you, you know, so the ghost will not come near you, not near your house even. That’s what I believe.

Lopez: Worshipers of Shugden claim that His Holiness is limiting their religious freedom by telling them not to worship Shugden.

Norbu: No, no, this worship of Shugden is not a religion at all. If I open my big mouth, I can say this is a cult. So I think His Holiness should be limiting it, because he is the leader of the Tibetan people. And all these different sects, you know, Nyingmapa, Gelugpa, Sakyapa, Kagyupa - he has authority over all of these because he’s the leader of the country, the leader of the people. He’s correct to think and to do as he does about this. This has nothing to do with politics. Nothing to do with religion. He never said, “Don’t try to take refuge in the Three Precious Jewels.” He just tried to say, “Don’t go for refuge to the worldly gods.” That’s it.

Lopez: Do you think that the worship of Dorje Shugden is harmful to the cause of Tibetan independence?

Norbu: It seems to be. When I read what was said by Mrs. Yuthok [a Tibetan noblewoman], in which she mentioned that this Shugden killed her little child, I thought that was probably true, because recently I read something that said that Pabongka himself was killed by Shugden even though he worshiped Shugden. He went someplace to give a Lamrim teaching. And he was coming back and got sick on the road, and they say this was caused by Shugden. I saw something like that, but I don’t know if that’s the way it was, really. Lots of gossip, you know, lots of gossip.

Lopez: Now, those who are devotees and supporters of Dorje Shugden would point out that Pabongka, a very famous Gelugpa lama, and also Trijang Rinpoche, His Holiness’s junior tutor, were worshipers of Shugden and promoted the worship of Shugden. So,we have them on one side. Then we have His Holiness on the other side. Some people say Dorje Shugden is a buddha, some say he’s a ghost. How do we decide who’s correct?

Norbu: [laughter] I think it would be very sad if Buddha had become this Shugden in order to try to take somebody’s life, people’s lives. That’s very sad. We are very lucky to have such great people as Pabongka and Trijang Rinpoche and all the rest. But great people sometimes make mistakes, too.

Lopez: You know that people picketed His Holiness in London about this situation, and that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s group, the New Kadampa Tradition, has spoken out against His Holiness. What’s your feeling about this?

Norbu: We have no country. Our country is run by the Chinese and their ruthless government. All that His Holiness is trying to do is on behalf of all Tibetans. And now this little-bitty thing: everybody fighting over this ghost. I think it’s very pitiful. I think it’s terrible.

Lopez: What’s your own thought about why Geshe Lobsang Gyatso was murdered? Do you think that was connected to Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: I don’t know exactly what happened. It looks as if monks came to kill the monks there. They wore the robe; they had taken the vow not to harm living beings. Monks killing monks. Terrible.

Lopez: Many Westerners are very confused about this whole Shugden affair. What advice would you give them?

Norbu: If somebody who doesn’t know anything comes to you and says, I’m great and this is good, this is wonderful, and so on - if he says that, and because of his saying it and because you trust him, you then try to do it - this is not your fault, you know.

Lopez: So you feel that they’ve been sort of taken in by people, and they really don’t understand, don’t know enough about it to make their own decision?

Norbu: I think it is very sad what has happened to the Buddhist precepts of renunciation, bodhicitta, and the correct view. You must know all these three to practice, to become enlightened, right? I mean, this is a real responsibility for those geshes and lamas who come to say such things. Westerners, they are so honest, they are so faithful. And those lamas that came to say: This is copper - they told them it was gold, you know. And the Westerners took this “gold.” You have to check, you know - just as with gold, you must check, analyze for purity. This is not only for the Western disciples, but for Tibetans also. When you make a teacher-disciple relationship, then you need to check to see if the person has the characteristics or qualities of a true lama. And the quality of the disciple is also important. You must check both of these. Lama will check the disciple, disciple will check the lama. Without such checking, to take this and that indiscriminately - that, I think, is pretty dangerous. Also: now, our geshes, our lamas, have come to be dependent on their disciples just for their own stomachs, you know. Yes, for their own stomach, their own piece of bread - that’s why they are saying all these things. I think this is true of humans in general. We can see this happening now in our Buddhism. But you also have this in Christianity: “God called me, you must send me two million dollars.” You know the sort of thing.

Lopez: That exists in Buddhism also?

Norbu: Of course. Now, the important thing is, Tibetans are human beings, you know. Don’t think everything is just so good, just like what you’ve read, you know. When you read the dharma books, everything is so good, so nice. But in a basketful of apples, you always find a rotten apple somewhere. To check is very important.

Lopez: So your advice to Westerners on this Shugden affair is to investigate for themselves to see what’s true and what’s false.

Norbu: First, think about Buddhism. Then think about the six places of rebirth. I think that’s very important. So you know what Shugden is.

Lopez: There are a number of Westerners who are Buddhists, and they are disciples of lamas who worship Dorje Shugden, and they’ve been told: Dorje Shugden is your protector. So they have that as part of their practice. On the other hand, they feel great devotion and loyalty to the Dalai Lama, and they feel torn apart by this controversy.

Norbu: If you really practice, then the Three Precious Jewels are your protector. You don’t need more than that. You follow what are the Buddha’s teachings, the Buddha’s words, what the sangha says, what the community is teaching, what it is doing. You follow that. That is your protector more than if you pay millions of dollars to hire security. I heard His Holiness in Los Angeles say, “Your protector is the Buddha. Nothing more than Buddha protects you.”

Lopez: Is there anything else you’d like to add?

Norbu: I’m sorry about this whole crisis. But there is one thing I’m very happy about. There are worshipers of Shugden who try to give some good teachings about Buddhism. And people will learn something about Buddhism. The sad thing is, they try to tell people to worship this ghost - that’s very sad. But, too, you know, the good and the bad - which one is it? If worldly power is with you, you always have duality.

In summary Thubten Jingme Norbu seems to be saying:

1.   Dorje Shugden is definitely a worldly god but also a hungry ghost (?);
2.   Dorje Shugden is harmful and killed even Pabongkha Rinpoche (which is in line with his brother the Dalai  Lama’s claim that Dorje Shugden is harmful to HH’s life);
3.   But… “if you are a genuine Gelugpa - or a genuine Nyingmapa - you don’t need to worry about all this. All the lamas and protectors can take care of you, you know, so the ghost will not come near you, not near your house even”. (So if the Dalai Lama is genuine, why worry?)
4.   And as for the Shugden affair, TJN seem to feel that all this fighting is over gossips…”lots of gossip”;
5.   People should check and investigate for themselves as to what is true and what is false instead of taking a gossip as fact;
6.   In the final analysis, he is happy that Shugden worshippers do also practice good Buddhism;
7.   And cryptically, what is the truth in the duality of good and bad?

Ensapa

• Email
Re: More contradictory statements.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
I recently came across an old interview with the Dalai Lama’s elder brother, Thubten Jigme Norbu. In it, he spoke about Dorje Shugden. While it is natural for the Dalai Lama’s own brother to adopt HH’s stance on Dorje Shugden, closer examination of the interview indicates a lot of contradictions (some of which are so obvious) which leads me to ask if the HHDL’s own brother is advising people to really think for themselves instead of merely following the ban.
After reading through I realize he was actually taking some potshots at several other parties as well that did some pretty illogical things about the Dorje Shugden ban. Interesting indeed! It seems that the Dalai Lama and the Lamas aligned to him are actually Dorje Shugden practitioners that outwardly speak against Dorje Shugden but hold him close!

Highlighted are some of the statements made by TJN that should get people thinking.

Lopez: Within this context that you’ve described, who is Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: You know, I was brought up in the Kumbum monastery [in Amdo, built at Tsongkhapa’s birthplace]. Until I was seventeen or eighteen, when I came to Lhasa, I never heard about Dorje Shugden. In Lhasa, people talked about Shugden this and that. But I never paid any attention. Then, ever since His Holiness tried to tell people not to worship - or not to take refuge in - Shugden, I tried to learn a little.

Lopez: Did you know Pabongka Rinpoche at all in Tibet?

Norbu: Of course. Pabongka Rinpoche is one of the most popular teachers of our century. But he propagated so much about this Shugden. Recently, I heard that the Thirteenth Dalai Lama had asked him to stop this promoting of Shugden. So then he slowed down a little, but after His Holiness, the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, passed away, then he tried to do all that all over again. I never met him personally. But he’s one of the learned teachers of the lamas, one of the important ones.

Lopez: And Pabongka Rinpoche would give the sok-deh ceremony for Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: He must have done lots, yes. That’s why the Thirteenth Dalai Lama stopped him.

Lopez: So,is Dorje Shugden a transcendent protector or a worldly protector?

Norbu: He’s definitely a worldly god. I put him in the hungry ghost category. You know that in Buddhism, when you die and you take rebirth, the rebirth must be in one of these six places. He’s not a god, he’s not a demigod, he’s not a human being. Okay - then what three are left? Animals, ghosts, and hell beings. Shugden came back born as a ghost. He was so hungry that he went to the Sakya monastery asking for food. One of the great Sakya lamas said to him: Do no harm to sentient beings, and in return, I will give you a little food. Then he made a little offering and a ceremony, and they went into the temple and they gave him the food. So that means Shugden is a hungry ghost.
Thats not a nice lie! but oh well.
Lopez: His Holiness the Dalai Lama has asked Tibetans not to worship Dorje Shugden.

Norbu: That’s right, yes.

Lopez: Why?

Norbu: All Buddhists should look for something to take refuge in and to regard as a protector. You take refuge in the Three Precious Jewels. You cannot have more than that; that’s the only thing - the three principles. Then for the protectors, there are Mahakala, Belden Lhamo, and Tamchen Chogyal. These are there already. So now if you try to come to this Shugden, who is a ghost, then what you’re doing is not very good. Particularly for the monks. Monks have a vow. If you have such a vow, you cannot take refuge in this kind of thing.

Lopez: And then there are also stories that Dorje Shugden has punished people in the past who have mixed Gelugpa and Nyingma.

Norbu: This happened just a few years back, I think. There was a gentleman from Ganden monastery.

Lopez: Zemey Rinpoche.
It was also clear, later that the yellow book was never meant to be published but his disciple Thutben Jinpa went ahead anyway. It was based on a collection of oral stories that Trijang Rinpoche told him, and he told his disciple. His disciple published it without his consent. Thats what I read somewhere a long time ago anyway...
Norbu: Yes. He tried to say that if any Gelugpa man or Gelugpa lama tried to join or practice the Nyingmapa tradition, then Shugden will take his life. But I’ll tell you something simple. If you are really authentic, if you are a genuine Gelugpa - or a genuine Nyingmapa - you don’t need to worry about all this. All the lamas and protectors can take care of you, you know, so the ghost will not come near you, not near your house even. That’s what I believe.
Zing! this looks like a very, very hard and painful potshot at Dudjom Tersar who was responsible for all the anti Dorje Shugden material: Guru Tragpur, Dorje Drollo on Dorje Shugden, Anti Shugden chakras etc...which is true. unless of course, they did not have faith in the 3 jewels in the first place = insecure about their own practices that they had to make "protection items" against....

Lopez: Worshipers of Shugden claim that His Holiness is limiting their religious freedom by telling them not to worship Shugden.

Norbu: No, no, this worship of Shugden is not a religion at all. If I open my big mouth, I can say this is a cult. So I think His Holiness should be limiting it, because he is the leader of the Tibetan people. And all these different sects, you know, Nyingmapa, Gelugpa, Sakyapa, Kagyupa - he has authority over all of these because he’s the leader of the country, the leader of the people. He’s correct to think and to do as he does about this. This has nothing to do with politics. Nothing to do with religion. He never said, “Don’t try to take refuge in the Three Precious Jewels.” He just tried to say, “Don’t go for refuge to the worldly gods.” That’s it.

Lopez: Do you think that the worship of Dorje Shugden is harmful to the cause of Tibetan independence?

Norbu: It seems to be. When I read what was said by Mrs. Yuthok [a Tibetan noblewoman], in which she mentioned that this Shugden killed her little child, I thought that was probably true, because recently I read something that said that Pabongka himself was killed by Shugden even though he worshiped Shugden. He went someplace to give a Lamrim teaching. And he was coming back and got sick on the road, and they say this was caused by Shugden. I saw something like that, but I don’t know if that’s the way it was, really. Lots of gossip, you know, lots of gossip.
Lol its more like he's saying that the earlier statement was gossip as well. There was no concrete evidence whatsoever regarding this and he pulls out that word so fast. Is he trying to send a message in this way?

Lopez: Now, those who are devotees and supporters of Dorje Shugden would point out that Pabongka, a very famous Gelugpa lama, and also Trijang Rinpoche, His Holiness’s junior tutor, were worshipers of Shugden and promoted the worship of Shugden. So,we have them on one side. Then we have His Holiness on the other side. Some people say Dorje Shugden is a buddha, some say he’s a ghost. How do we decide who’s correct?

Norbu: [laughter] I think it would be very sad if Buddha had become this Shugden in order to try to take somebody’s life, people’s lives. That’s very sad. We are very lucky to have such great people as Pabongka and Trijang Rinpoche and all the rest. But great people sometimes make mistakes, too.
Yeah but how about these people died because of their own broken samaya and not Dorje Shugden? What about the death of Serkong Tenshab which Dromtung Rinpoche of the green sect claims that he died in rather, interesting circumstances. Why hide that?

Lopez: You know that people picketed His Holiness in London about this situation, and that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s group, the New Kadampa Tradition, has spoken out against His Holiness. What’s your feeling about this?

Norbu: We have no country. Our country is run by the Chinese and their ruthless government. All that His Holiness is trying to do is on behalf of all Tibetans. And now this little-bitty thing: everybody fighting over this ghost. I think it’s very pitiful. I think it’s terrible.
Lift the ban and move on!

Lopez: What’s your own thought about why Geshe Lobsang Gyatso was murdered? Do you think that was connected to Dorje Shugden?

Norbu: I don’t know exactly what happened. It looks as if monks came to kill the monks there. They wore the robe; they had taken the vow not to harm living beings. Monks killing monks. Terrible.

Lopez: Many Westerners are very confused about this whole Shugden affair. What advice would you give them?

Norbu: If somebody who doesn’t know anything comes to you and says, I’m great and this is good, this is wonderful, and so on - if he says that, and because of his saying it and because you trust him, you then try to do it - this is not your fault, you know.

Lopez: So you feel that they’ve been sort of taken in by people, and they really don’t understand, don’t know enough about it to make their own decision?

Norbu: I think it is very sad what has happened to the Buddhist precepts of renunciation, bodhicitta, and the correct view. You must know all these three to practice, to become enlightened, right? I mean, this is a real responsibility for those geshes and lamas who come to say such things. Westerners, they are so honest, they are so faithful. And those lamas that came to say: This is copper - they told them it was gold, you know. And the Westerners took this “gold.” You have to check, you know - just as with gold, you must check, analyze for purity. This is not only for the Western disciples, but for Tibetans also. When you make a teacher-disciple relationship, then you need to check to see if the person has the characteristics or qualities of a true lama. And the quality of the disciple is also important. You must check both of these. Lama will check the disciple, disciple will check the lama. Without such checking, to take this and that indiscriminately - that, I think, is pretty dangerous. Also: now, our geshes, our lamas, have come to be dependent on their disciples just for their own stomachs, you know. Yes, for their own stomach, their own piece of bread - that’s why they are saying all these things. I think this is true of humans in general. We can see this happening now in our Buddhism. But you also have this in Christianity: “God called me, you must send me two million dollars.” You know the sort of thing.
See, its all about checking out before accepting, and what if at the conclusion that Dorje Shugden is good? Then what?
Lopez: That exists in Buddhism also?

Norbu: Of course. Now, the important thing is, Tibetans are human beings, you know. Don’t think everything is just so good, just like what you’ve read, you know. When you read the dharma books, everything is so good, so nice. But in a basketful of apples, you always find a rotten apple somewhere. To check is very important.

Lopez: So your advice to Westerners on this Shugden affair is to investigate for themselves to see what’s true and what’s false.

Norbu: First, think about Buddhism. Then think about the six places of rebirth. I think that’s very important. So you know what Shugden is.
That's right. He's a Buddha! A Buddha, I tell you!
Lopez: There are a number of Westerners who are Buddhists, and they are disciples of lamas who worship Dorje Shugden, and they’ve been told: Dorje Shugden is your protector. So they have that as part of their practice. On the other hand, they feel great devotion and loyalty to the Dalai Lama, and they feel torn apart by this controversy.

Norbu: If you really practice, then the Three Precious Jewels are your protector. You don’t need more than that. You follow what are the Buddha’s teachings, the Buddha’s words, what the sangha says, what the community is teaching, what it is doing. You follow that. That is your protector more than if you pay millions of dollars to hire security. I heard His Holiness in Los Angeles say, “Your protector is the Buddha. Nothing more than Buddha protects you.”
So...that means we dont need Guru Tragphur and those anti Dorje Shugden chakras? hmmm....
Lopez: Is there anything else you’d like to add?

Norbu: I’m sorry about this whole crisis. But there is one thing I’m very happy about. There are worshipers of Shugden who try to give some good teachings about Buddhism. And people will learn something about Buddhism. The sad thing is, they try to tell people to worship this ghost - that’s very sad. But, too, you know, the good and the bad - which one is it? If worldly power is with you, you always have duality.
 So he's praising Geshe Keslang Gyatso now! how interesting for him to make such a statement!
In summary Thubten Jingme Norbu seems to be saying:

1.   Dorje Shugden is definitely a worldly god but also a hungry ghost (?);
2.   Dorje Shugden is harmful and killed even Pabongkha Rinpoche (which is in line with his brother the Dalai  Lama’s claim that Dorje Shugden is harmful to HH’s life);
3.   But… “if you are a genuine Gelugpa - or a genuine Nyingmapa - you don’t need to worry about all this. All the lamas and protectors can take care of you, you know, so the ghost will not come near you, not near your house even”. (So if the Dalai Lama is genuine, why worry?)
4.   And as for the Shugden affair, TJN seem to feel that all this fighting is over gossips…”lots of gossip”;
5.   People should check and investigate for themselves as to what is true and what is false instead of taking a gossip as fact;
6.   In the final analysis, he is happy that Shugden worshippers do also practice good Buddhism;
7.   And cryptically, what is the truth in the duality of good and bad?

I think, on the many statements of the Dalai Lama and those from his camp (scholars excluded, thanks) such as himself, Samdhong Rinpoche and his brothers, they seem to be rooting for Dorje Shugden but in a very cryptic way and you can actually see it by reading between the lines. It is interesting on how to put the whole thing together tho and allow less intelligent people to think otherwise.

beggar

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
there are many things wrong in the contradictory statements being made in this interview. But i would like to address particularly the consistent claim throughout this time of Dorje Shugden being a worldly god. This in itself has always been contradictory statement, contravening all of the most basic tenants of Buddhism. This is for a number of reasons, namely:

- the same people (the Dalai Lama etc) who claimed that he was an enlightened being are now claiming that he is a spirit. The Dalai Lama is recognised to be an emanation of Chenrezig, so that is to say that Chenrezig, an enlightened Buddha, is capable of making such fundamental mistakes.

- If Dalai Lama really is Chenrezig, then the claim that this "spirit" can harm his life is totally illogical. It is saying that Chenrezig - a Buddha - can be harmed a spirit, that a spirit is more powerful than a Buddha.

- one of the most basic benefits of taking the most basic vows of refuge is that one is protected from spirits and harm from other such beings. Surely, the Dalai Lama has taken far many more sets of vows than refuge, including ordination vows, bodhicitta and tantric vows. To make this claim is to defy all the power of the vows, stating that a spirit can override all these vows and the very nature of the Dharma.

- to be so fearful of a spirit completely contradicts the law of karma. We must understand that if we do not have the karma to be harmed by a spirit, then no matter how evil the spirit is, or how many of them there are around us, we will not be harmed. Surely, the Dalai Lama who has full control of his rebirths and widely recognised as an emanation of the Buddha of Compassion Chenrezig will not have the karma to be harmed! If he still has the karma to be harmed by worldly beings, then he is not enlightened!

- there have been claims that many rituals have been done to exorcise this so-called spirit. Some accounts, back in the time of the 5th dalai lama, even have witness accounts to state that they smelt the smell of burning flesh, as if to confirm that the spirit had in fact been destroyed. If this was really the case, then what is everyone so afraid of now, 350 years later? Why are we so frightened of a being that is supposed to have been destroyed and no longer existent?

- If this is the case therefore, we conclude that this being CANNOT be destroyed. The only being that cannot be destroyed is a Buddha, which thus logically leads to the final conclusion that Dorje Shugden is indeed NOT a spirit, but a fully enlightened being.

Q.E.D.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »

This is one of the claims that bothers me the most. Why?

1. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, what is Nechung? Isnt Nechung a subdued spirit? So how come the Tibetan government consults an unenlightened spirit for political advice?!

2. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, how come the Mindroling Lamas couldnt kill him? How come their pujas were ineffective?

3. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, why do so many high lamas make the mistake of practising him? If they are attained why cant they see hes a spirit and not have ever begun his practice?

So what the CTA is basically saying is that for the last 350 years, theyve been bested by a spirit? A spirit so powerful, no Buddha in their nirmanakaya form can subdue him?

Its just so laughable that the CTA keeps perpetuating this myth that Dorje Shugden is a spirit, because in doing so they just show us how stupid and uninformed they are.

Barzin

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Personally I feel that it is definitely contradictory because his answers are not definite.  If you are the brother to His Holiness, shouldn't you be well informed about the history and the story behind the ban already?  But mentioning something like "lots of gossip" is not based on true study and research.  Therefore I am sure he knows better than just giving vague answers.  If he is on His Holiness side, he should be very firm about his answer in standing in line with His Holiness banning the spirit worshipping.  But if he is not, then he will be very weak in his answers.  That's how I see in this very interview, it is as though he is 50/50 and got something to hide.  So what is left to say?  Even if His Holiness's brother can't even confirmed if Dorje Shugden is "hungry ghost" (he thinks) then who else can (His Brother not confirm also?)?  If Shugden killed Pabongkha or even harm the slightest bit of the Gelug lineage, then I don't think Gelug would be exist now because Shugden still exist then all the high lamas are wrong.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »

1. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, what is Nechung? Isnt Nechung a subdued spirit? So how come the Tibetan government consults an unenlightened spirit for political advice?!

2. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, how come the Mindroling Lamas couldnt kill him? How come their pujas were ineffective?

3. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, why do so many high lamas make the mistake of practising him? If they are attained why cant they see hes a spirit and not have ever begun his practice?

So what the CTA is basically saying is that for the last 350 years, theyve been bested by a spirit? A spirit so powerful, no Buddha in their nirmanakaya form can subdue him?

Its just so laughable that the CTA keeps perpetuating this myth that Dorje Shugden is a spirit, because in doing so they just show us how stupid and uninformed they are.

1. That contradictory statement stood out for me the most too. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, and we're not supposed to propitiate Him (reason being that there are other protectors, like Palden Lhamo and Mahakala that we can propitiate in) then what about Nechung?

Why is Nechung the State Oracle of Tibet? Why place the risk of an entire nation in the hands of a subdued spirit? Why not Palden Lhamo instead? http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=5609

2. Another contradiction is when Thubten Jigme Norbu mentions Pabongkha Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche: "We are very lucky to have such great people as Pabongka and Trijang Rinpoche and all the rest. But great people sometimes make mistakes, too."

So these highly attained lamas have room for fault? If Pabongkha Rinpoche isn't faultless, and neither is Trijang Rinpoche - then what about the teachings given by Trijang Rinpoche towards His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama? Are the teachings imperfect too? Can't be.

3. "Pabongka himself was killed by Shugden"...  ??? Need I say anything.

-------------------

From reading the interview transcript, I agree with vajratruth in that the interview causes people to think. There are many contradictory statements that proves to be hints that we should think for ourselves re the Dorje Shugden ban.

However, those who think deeper and between the lines are for those who can think deeper. For the rest it would just create a lot of doubt.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »

This is interesting because not only that Nechung was sought for advice, but he also gave bad advice. However, the Dalai Lama and the more intellectual anti Dorje Shugden people argue that it was not Dorje Shugden was a spirit that was wrong, but rather that he was practiced and prayed to as if he was a Buddha that was wrong. That is an interesting point we need to learn how to counter.
Obviously because the mindroling lamas werent effective or powerful and they are not attained at all, that they cannot even subdue a spirit, or that they Dorje Shugden is a Buddha because how do you exorcize a Buddha? Pick.

If he was an evil spirit, then the Lamas who practice him would have invalidated their refuge vows as well and would not return as Rinpoches, but Zemey Rinpoche and Domo Geshe Rinpoche has returned, no? So has Pabongkha, Trijang and Zong Rinpoche. And all of the were perfect, unlike Lelung Rinpoche, whom as a result of mixing the Mindroling Mahamudra Termas with the Ganden Kagyu Mahamudra and acted in perverse ways, 4 of his incarnations were unable to manifest properly. So, this also highlights the importance of not mixing the teachings. Where is the logic that these lamas can return perfectly if Dorje Shugden was a spirit?

1. That contradictory statement stood out for me the most too. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, and we're not supposed to propitiate Him (reason being that there are other protectors, like Palden Lhamo and Mahakala that we can propitiate in) then what about Nechung?

Why is Nechung the State Oracle of Tibet? Why place the risk of an entire nation in the hands of a subdued spirit? Why not Palden Lhamo instead? http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=5609

2. Another contradiction is when Thubten Jigme Norbu mentions Pabongkha Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche: "We are very lucky to have such great people as Pabongka and Trijang Rinpoche and all the rest. But great people sometimes make mistakes, too."

So these highly attained lamas have room for fault? If Pabongkha Rinpoche isn't faultless, and neither is Trijang Rinpoche - then what about the teachings given by Trijang Rinpoche towards His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama? Are the teachings imperfect too? Can't be.
More like he's trying to imply a hidden message, that is to look into this further.

3. "Pabongka himself was killed by Shugden"...  ??? Need I say anything.
I like it how this statement contradicts historical accounts.
-------------------

From reading the interview transcript, I agree with vajratruth in that the interview causes people to think. There are many contradictory statements that proves to be hints that we should think for ourselves re the Dorje Shugden ban.

However, those who think deeper and between the lines are for those who can think deeper. For the rest it would just create a lot of doubt.
Or those who take things at face value. Those are really hilarious as they just accept the statements without much thought

In any case, the entire interview was quite, informative, simply to put it, especially if we read between the lines.

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
So these highly attained lamas have room for fault? If Pabongkha Rinpoche isn't faultless, and neither is Trijang Rinpoche - then what about the teachings given by Trijang Rinpoche towards His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama? Are the teachings imperfect too?

From this string of thoughts.... Well then all of the teachings and initiations that His Holiness is giving, spreading and initiating will also be at fault, no? Because most of the philosophical teachings His Holines got were from Trijang Rinpoche... so all must be impure and wrong then? No blessings or attainments will come to thos who took initiation from him then? So what is the point of HHDL even teaching anyone or anyone getting any initiation from him because the will get ZERO results, no? This is if we apply logic and going along these lines of logic...

Hence it is a rather stupid made up reason that is used to cover up the bigger agenda behind this whole ridiculous BAN!!! Unless ur not exposed, uneducated, a farmer, a believer who does not think but just close ur eyes and follow... any child could see right through this! So c'mon what is the true reasons behind all this madness??? If it is for HHDL personal reasons and goals... I question it too because... why would someone who is so highly regards as a compassionate noble peace prize thinker do so much damage and harm that would ruined His reputation?! It does not make no sense at all... hence the thought of a much much bigger picture is... to spread Dorje Shugden to the world, this is my view of course.

Well at least his name is has been heard by millions if not billions! 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
From this string of thoughts.... Well then all of the teachings and initiations that His Holiness is giving, spreading and initiating will also be at fault, no? Because most of the philosophical teachings His Holines got were from Trijang Rinpoche... so all must be impure and wrong then? No blessings or attainments will come to thos who took initiation from him then? So what is the point of HHDL even teaching anyone or anyone getting any initiation from him because the will get ZERO results, no? This is if we apply logic and going along these lines of logic...
Its not just that. The other day, he was questioning Tapu Dorjechang as Dorje Shugden's initiation/life entrustment or sogtae came from him. He brought those teachings directly from Tushita and the Dalai Lama actually said this about it:

As many have suggested that the whole tradition of "life offering" in relation to Dolgyal practice sprung from a vision that Tagpu Dorje Chang had, I wanted to query this. I posed the question that, if this indeed were something that can be traced back to such a vision, wouldn't it be something that can be relied upon? The response was that visions are of two types. There are reliable ones that come due to blessings of higher powers and those that are in the nature of hindrances. This, it was stated, was a case of the latter. It was made quite clear then and events seem to have born this out.

Ironically, he does transmit the practice of Cittamani Tara, which also springs from Tapu Dorjechang, and who also received the teachings and practice from the same method. If Sogtae comes from the nature of hindrances, what about the practice of Cittamani Tara who also came from the same person? Why the double standard?
[/color]

Hence it is a rather stupid made up reason that is used to cover up the bigger agenda behind this whole ridiculous BAN!!! Unless ur not exposed, uneducated, a farmer, a believer who does not think but just close ur eyes and follow... any child could see right through this! So c'mon what is the true reasons behind all this madness??? If it is for HHDL personal reasons and goals... I question it too because... why would someone who is so highly regards as a compassionate noble peace prize thinker do so much damage and harm that would ruined His reputation?! It does not make no sense at all... hence the thought of a much much bigger picture is... to spread Dorje Shugden to the world, this is my view of course.

Sadly many people still prefer to be uneducated and blind as opposed to actually questioning and investigating the claims by the Dalai Lama. Why is it that they need to investigate when it is not Dalai Lama, but when it is Dalai Lama they do not need to check? why the double standard?

Well at least his name is has been heard by millions if not billions!

Nice observation on this point, dsiluvu. This is something that many people tend to overlook merely because they lack exposure, so they only see things from one side instead of the whole picture and if that is not ignorance, i dont know what is. The Buddha has always emphasized on removing ignorance by maintaining a balanced view, so why are they taking sides because its easier as opposed to following advice?

Galen

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

There are definitely many discrepancies in the interview. This may be due to the fact that Thubten Jingme Norbu is not sure of the facts or is he trying to cover up. You know when we try to cover up, we need to make up more stories to cover the cover up and over time, it will be exposed as they can't be covered anymore.

I would like to add to Dharma Defender.
If Dorje Shugden is a spirit and the high lamas who practices his are not following the perfect Buddha dharma. Then, how come the high lamas like Trijang Rinpoche, Pabongkha Rinpoche, Domo Geshe Rinpoche and others are reincarnated and recognised. Shouldn't they be reborn in hell because they were propitiating a spirit/ghost?

Also, how come the Dalai Lama enforces the ban on everyone but does not enforce it on Trijang Rinpoche?

I also do not think that we Westerners are so ignorant to just blindly follow what their gurus say. They would have investigated enough about Dorje Shugden for them to follow the practices. And for them to fight for the freedom of Dorje Shugden practitioners to practice freely say alot of due diligence was done.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
There are definitely many discrepancies in the interview. This may be due to the fact that Thubten Jingme Norbu is not sure of the facts or is he trying to cover up. You know when we try to cover up, we need to make up more stories to cover the cover up and over time, it will be exposed as they can't be covered anymore.
To be honest, the interview itself sounds really interesting because in many parts, the Thutben Jigme Norbu is somewhat urging the interviewer to actually read between the lines, as if someone or something is stopping him from openly declaring his support for Dorje Shugden. This pattern has been observed in the Dalai Lama's speeches, as well as on Ngari Rinpoche and Samdhong Rinpoche. Odd, huh?

I would like to add to Dharma Defender.
If Dorje Shugden is a spirit and the high lamas who practices his are not following the perfect Buddha dharma. Then, how come the high lamas like Trijang Rinpoche, Pabongkha Rinpoche, Domo Geshe Rinpoche and others are reincarnated and recognised. Shouldn't they be reborn in hell because they were propitiating a spirit/ghost?
If Dorje Shugden was a spirit, it would invalidate the entire generation of Gelug lamas because ot would mean that they are all tainted. This is a very popular tactic that western Nyingma and Kagyu students use to turn people away from Gelug, saying that lamas who are the disciples of Dorje Shugden practitioners are tainted and will harm. They might not talk about this openly, but it was happening everywhere on the internet. very evil and sneaky way of subverting others.

Also, how come the Dalai Lama enforces the ban on everyone but does not enforce it on Trijang Rinpoche?
HHDL gave him a threat/choice: Give up Dorje Shugden and have a chance to pursue traditional monastic training, or continue with Dorje Shugden and be ostracized by the Tibetan community. Obviously, Trijang Rinpoche chose the latter. If HHDL's permission to him was real, HHDL would have forbidden anyone to have death threats by saying anyone who harms Trijang Rinpoche harms me, and Trijang Rinpoche would have been able to remain in Dharamsala and pursue his education. That did not happen. Take a guess why.

I also do not think that we Westerners are so ignorant to just blindly follow what their gurus say. They would have investigated enough about Dorje Shugden for them to follow the practices. And for them to fight for the freedom of Dorje Shugden practitioners to practice freely say alot of due diligence was done.
Surprisingly, a lot of westerners I know prefer to follow blindly instead of investigating everything first before accepting. I am not sure if these are remnants of the imprints that were planted in by their Christian heritage, or that they are just too lazy to investigate for whatever reason and want a quick fix for their problems. Case in point: Robert Thurman and George Dreyfus.

There is just so much loopholes and westerners just drink it all up blindly without investigating. And now the trend has spread to the asians as well. Anyone who is truly unbiased and who really studies will always and only come to the conclusion that Dorje Shugden is not an evil spirit but a Buddha. But it is easier to accept blindly rather than to investigate and learn about things that challenge our comprehension and our perceptions. Kaliyuga indeed.