Author Topic: The useless eyebrows  (Read 4359 times)

bambi

The useless eyebrows
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
Once, a person's eyes, nose, and mouth had a meeting. First the eyes said, "We, the eyes, are of utmost importance to the body. Everything must be seen by us to know whether it is beautiful or not, big or small, tall or short. Without eyes, walking around will be very difficult. So we, the eyes, are very important. But we have been improperly placed under the eyebrows, which are of no use. It is just not fair!"

Next, the nose said, "I, the nose, am the most important. Only I can distinguish a good smell from a foul odor. The act of breathing is also dependent on me. If I do not let the breath pass through, everybody will die. So I am the most important. As important as I am, I have been unfairly placed beneath the useless eyebrows. I am most unhappy."

Then the mouth said, "I am the most important part of the human body. I can speak; if not for me, there would not be any communication among people. I take in the food; if not for me, everybody would die of hunger. Such an important part as myself has been placed in the lowest part of the face. The useless eyebrows, however, have been put on the highest part of the face. This I cannot accept!"

After the others had spoken, the eyebrows spoke slowly, "Please do not fight anymore. We, the eyebrows, are surely the most useless things; we admit defeat. We are willing to be placed below you." Having said this, the eyebrows settled down below the eyes. Unfortunately, the person no longer looked like a human being. Next, they eyebrows settled down below the nose. It was still horrible; it still did not look like a human being. Then the eyebrows settled down below the mouth. This looked even more ghastly! The eyes, nose, and mouth huddled to discuss the situation again. They concluded that it was best if the eyebrows returned to their original place on the face; it was the most appropriate spot for them. When the eyebrows returned to their original spot, the appearance was once again that of a human being. Thus, we can see that what appears to be the most useless thing can be indeed the most useful.

There are so many ways that a teaching can relate to me but may not relate to you.

Were there teachings that you found useless before but now, you realized that they are indeed so useful that they have helped you?

bambi

Re: The useless eyebrows
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »
There are actually a few teachings which I had basic knowledge of but didn't care enough to check deeper. I didn't realize it to be important.

One of it would be karma. Before learning the the deeper meaning of karma, I thought that so long as I do not kill, there will be no bad karma. I totally ignore the fact that I continued to eat meat because I didn't know that even if I don't kill, having the demand to eat it is the same as killing it. And then there are so many points to understanding Dharma. I am still learning and I will continue to understand more on it.