Author Topic: Shugdenpa Fire Ritual Offering in Ulaan Baator, Mongolia  (Read 6646 times)

icy

Shugdenpa Fire Ritual Offering in Ulaan Baator, Mongolia
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Dorje Shugden practice is very much alive and well preserved in Mongolia.  Its literature, liturgy and rituals are intact and used openly, fearlessly, widely and undiscriminately in all parts of Mongolia.  There is no doubt Dorje Shugden practice will increase and flourish forever more.  Many people are practising Dorje Shugden fire offering rituals as shown in the picture here which means many people here have DS initiation.   8) :)

After receiving the initation of DS one practices the tantric path for the welfare of sentient beings.  On the initial stage of the path to this goal, one closely identify with DS by meditating on DS and reciting his mantras and making a ritual offering.  Peforming the ritual fire offering pleases Dorje Shugden and collect huge merits to help and gain accomplishments on the path.  It also serves to remove the faults of badly or incompletely recited mantras and removes obstacles to a good meditative stablisation.

There are four types of ritual fire offerings:

Peaceful
Increasing
Subduing, and
Forceful.

A peaceful ritual fire offering may be performed to pacify the results of unwholesome action, or to clear away obstaces and defilements.  It may also be done to forestall impending difficulties and illnesses which have manifested themselves through dreams and inauspicious omens.

Among the purposes of performing an increasing ritual fire offering are the achievement of long life and the increase of one's wealth, wisdom and merit.

A subduing ritual fire offering may be performed to subdue forces that are harming other beings.  A forceful ritual fire offering is performed against harmful forces or people, if attempts to subdue them have failed and they continue to harm others.   A forceful ritual fire offering can banish or instil such fear in the victim that he ceased to be harmful.  When performing such a forceful ritual the master must be motivated purely by great compassion, not only for those beings harmed, but also for those who are harming them.  These rituals were most often employed to dispel or subdue local disturbances, such as the harmful interference of spirits, possession by spirits, military aggression and so forth.

michaela

Re: Shugdenpa Fire Ritual Offering in Ulaan Baator, Mongolia
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
After Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen passed away, there were a lot of calamities and disturbances in Tibet.  These happenings caused some people to think that Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen has manifested as an angry spirit.  Dalai Lama the 5th ordered many pacifying rituals and Fire Pujas were performed to subdue him, however, none of them were successful.  Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen has manifested as Dorje Shugden (DS), a powerful and unique enlightened Dharma protector.

Since His Holiness Dalai Lama the 14th implemented the ban against DS practice, He also ordered many Pujas to be performed to subdue DS.  Just like in the past, none of them were successful.

All of these were obvious to me, Dalai Lama the 5th and the 14th were staging a play for us to watch to instill in our mind that Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being.

dsiluvu

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
Je Tsong Khapa's lineage not only had great influence in Tibet. His fame and his lineage spread far into the lands of Mongolia and China. Most of the Mongolian and Chinese emperors from Tsong Khapa's time onwards have been devoted followers of the Gelugpa tradition.

The first monastery Je Tsongkhapa that was established was Ganden, and to this day the Ganden Tripa is the nominal head of the school, though its most influential figure is the Dalai Lama. Allying themselves with the Mongols as a powerful patron, the Gelug emerged as the pre-eminent Buddhist school in Tibet since the end of the 16th century.

So if we look back, Mongolians practise the Gelug Tradition since the 16th century, so obviously it is very likely they would also be practising Dorje Shugden. The Mongolians were converted to Buddhism by the great 3rd Dalai Lama - Sonam Gyatso.

Hence I am not surprise but with much rejoice to see and hear that Dorje Shugden practices is very preserved, active and continues to grow in Mongolia...

Here's 2 beautiful video of  Gandan Monastery in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - rejoice and enjoy

Gandan Monastery - Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Part 1
Gandan Monastery - Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Part 1 Small | Large

Gandan Monastery - Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Part 2
Gandan Monastery - Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Part 2 Small | Large

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:55:14 PM »
The question had always been asked that if Dorje Shugden is a spirit as proclaimed by the Dalai Lama how come he does not rid this spirit with a Fire Ritual or Fire Puja.

This article explains about Fire Pujas. Very educational with great videos to see.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »
Nice video on Gandan Monastery many thanks to the people sharing this with the rest of us. Mongolia apparently is going through a difficult patch due to a slowing down in demand for minerals across the globe and China's slowing economy. May Dorje Shudgen help the Mongolians regain their growth in the near furture.

Many fire pujas had been done to destroy Dorje Shugden, so much so some have said that after the fire puja they could smell burnt flesh and that was their proof that Dorje Shudgen was destroyed. Many people have said that Dorje Shudgen is a worldly protector that only fulfill one's worldly desires. This is very shallow thinking that is only one dimensional, there are many many people who have issues and problems that hinder them from even engaging in any form of spiritual practices.

So for those of us who have been relying on Dorje Shugden for many years to hear stories of 'miracles' and turn arounds for people who have hit some problems in their lives. For the ones who are aspiring for develop themselves more on the spiritual path the protector gives a lot of support and creates the condition for spiritual development and opportunities to benefit others.   

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »
As explained by Icy the purpose of fire pujas to Dorje Shugden have many purposes and reasons and also the results that arise from the offering of fire pujas.

I was very fortunate to have witnessed a fire puja and the amazing thing was after the puja, photos were taken of the fire and the photos showed a image arising from the fire like Dorje Shugden.  It was such a blessing to have witnessed that.

The fire puja which I witnessed was for blessing a piece of land.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »
Dondrub Shugden, can u get ahold of said picture with Protector in the fire?

Icy mentions that we practice Tantra after receiving the Protector initiation and that we then identify closely with him and recite his mantras. I don't know his specific meaning, but the language sounds like Icy is saying that the Protector initiation is a Highest Yoga Tantra wang, that we can practice tantra after the initiation, and that we self-generate as the Protector. All three of these implications are incorrect.

Please allow me to share some clarification I received from Je Losang Tsering Lotsawa (David Gonsalez). He received this clarification from Trijang Dorjechang's previous attendant Gelong Losang Choepel, and sealed it with perfect understanding of Lama Tsongkhapa's Ngarim Chenmo explanation of these things. Furthermore, for those of you who respect the Dalai Lama as a teacher, the Dalai Lama was consulted regarding this and asked the Lotsawa to clarify this for not only Westerners, but many qualified Geshes who were doing things incorrectly.

To practice tantra, we must receive a Wang into the mandala of a tantric Yidam. To preform tantric rituals we must self-generate as a Yidam. Dorje Shugden is not a Yidam, he is a Dharmapala; his initiation does not give permission or instruction to self-generate as the Dharmapala, or permission to perform tantric rituals. It is necessary to receive the proper Wang in order to do those things. The Solitary Hero Yamanataka of 13-Deity Yamanataka is typical prerequisite, but other Yidams are also qualified. For example, some sadhanas use Heruka 5-Deity sadhana as part of the Kangso.

To attend a fire puja, at the very least we must have received a Wang of Highest Yoga Tantra because these are 'secret' rituals and this is a qualification given by Vajradhara. During fire puja, unless we ourself have completed the close retreat of the Supramundane guest of the fire puja, we are not permitted to recite the section of sadhana where we make offerings to the Supramundane guest. Similarly, we can recite the tantric sadhana encasing self-initiation and can be present at self-initiation, but unless we have completed the close retreat of the Yidam whose self-initiation is being performed, we are not permitted to recite or meditate in the self-initiation section of sadhana. The reason for this is that Fire Puja and Self-initiation are considered 'Actions of the mandala' and we are not permitted to perform such actions until we have completed the close retreat of the particular Deity whose practice we're performing. Another example to help clarify is though we may have the Wang of Heruka and Vajrayogini, if we have performed the close retreat of Vajrayogini with closing fire puja, we are permitted to do the Vajrayogini self-initiation, but not the Heruka self-initiation and vice versa. If we have done the close retreat of Solitary Yamantaka with fire puja, we can do his self-initiation, but not the self-initiation of other deities.

To attend Dorje Shugden fire puja, we must have received a tantric Wang. To perform Dorje Shugden fire puja, by which I mean reciting the verses to the Supramundane guest or making the actual offerings, we must have received the Yamantaka Wang, completed the Yamantaka close retreat with subsequent fire puja, received Dorje Shugden life-entrustment, completed a Migtsema close retreat, and completed the Dorje Shugden close retreat. These things come from Vajradhara, Lama Tsongkhapa, and other lineage Gurus of the Gelug. If people aren't following this, it is inappropriate, though these days it is often the case that people just do things out of either unknowing, or simply not caring about having the proper qualifications.

Je Losang Tsering Lotsawa (David Gonsalez of Dechen Ling Press) clarified many things. He received clarification from Trijang Dorjechang's attendant Gelong Losang Choepel, as well as impeccable understanding of Lama Tsongkhapa's Ngarim Chenmo. The Dalai Lama  for instance, even suggested that Je Tsering Lotsawa clarify such things, particularly the differences between a Wang and Jenang, not only for Westerners, but for Geshes as well who were making mistakes. My notes here are also based on a fire puja transcript in which the Dorje Shugden fire puja is explained.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
Meant to say Solitary Hero Yamantaka OR 13-Deity Yamantaka are typical prerequisite...

Also, yes I understand we view Dorje Shugden as the embodiment of the Guru, Yidam, and Protector, but the meaning of that declaration or view is not that we are to do actual self-generation as Dorje Shugden, as cool as that would be!

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:18:39 AM »
From the explanations, then I should have been at the fire puja.  But I was, is there anything wrong then.

Was I there inappropriately?

psylotripitaka

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
Dondrub Shugden, there are various ways to consider these things.

These days it seems that people are generally dismissive of the tantric vows and commitments that would prevent them from doing whatever they want. Though we cannot keep all of them perfectly, it does not mean that they do not apply to us, and definitely downfalls accumulate.

However, there is also a theme happening in these degenerate times, that Tantric initiation and secret tantric objects are given or displayed openly, and tantric teachings that were previously sealed-in-secrecy are given to thousands of people that don't even have a Wang. This does not mean that the command of secrecy is no longer important. These things are happening for a variety of reasons. The teachings are going to disappear, so by making these things open to many minds, it delays the dissapearance. They're also given so that many people can make a connection with the tantric Deities and teachings. They're also given because despite a practitioner supposedly being of low worldly mind and so an 'unsuitable vessel', these people already have karma with the tantric Deities and path from before, their potentials are ready to ripen, and so the door is opened for them to realize these things, or people are inspired to enter the mandala by receiving initiation. Because these things are given or displayed openly, strictly speaking it does not mean that secrecy is irrelevant or should be dismissed by the practitioner, or that it is ok to do a bunch of tantric practices and never receive initiation, or that the vows and commitments of tantra no longer apply. If we are continuously dismissive of Vajradhara's commands and do not deeply consider the Profound meaning of his words, definitely we will litter our path with downfalls.

In short, strictly speaking, it is not appropriate to continue attending tantric functions if we are not actively seeking and preparing to receive a tantric initiation and keep the vows and commitments better and better and better. But, if we are inspired to seek initiation and to follow the path, at this time it is ok to attend to some extent, but it is really important to consider the Profound meaning of Vajradhara's words and try to abide by them.

As it says in Lama Chopa:

"And then the swirling ocean of the Tantras is crossed, through the kindness of the Navigator, the Vajra Holder, I seek your blessings to cherish more than my life, the vows and commitments, the root of attainments."

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
Dear Chokyi Dorje, thank you for your explanation, although I was at the fire puja I was not participating in the prayers.  I was more like a spectator.

Of course I hope to be initiated with tantric practice, but I do not think that although my intention is clear, I may not be suitable vessel yet.

If I am ever given tantric practice, I will definitely remember what you have shared in this space.  Once again thank you.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Hello Dondrup Shugden,

Please excuse me if u already know these things. Though I address specific people, I write things with many people in mind and a hope that it contributes in some small way to their attainments.

I'd like to share my view about 'suitable vessel'. There are different approaches to this. In the past, it was very strict, but nowadays there are a couple ways people do things. Some Lamas maintain the strict approach for various reasons, but the effect is that only a small handful of people ever meet the qualifications. That is fine, and has its place, as we can see from certain liberation life stories where certain realized disciples only gave transmission to a small handful of people. It seems Tsem Rinpoche is an example of this, but when you read (o you must read) his talk about Practice Vajrayogini Right Now, you will see how incredibly beautiful his approach is!! I don't have time to fish the link. Let me know if u can't locate it and I'll dig it up later.

There are some Lamas that give tantric initiation to many many people without much if any conventional examination of the disciple, thereby providing a doorway for people to enter the practice. Mahasiddha Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche is an example of this. Some people do not prepare even a little or consider whether or not they are even committed to the Buddhist path in general before taking initiation, then although they accumulate downfalls by not continuing to train even as a Buddhist, they have made a special connection to the Guru-Deity, which in the grand scheme of things is much more important than some temporary downfalls that they will purify in the future through reconnecting.

In the Kadampa tradition, though there is 6 session guru yoga commitment, people are able to keep this by reciting a four-line prayer. This prayer was actually created by Ngulchu Dharmabhadra for illiterate Tibetans who were required to memorize it before leaving the initiation and teachings. It is a vast and profound prayer, and very skillful. The NKT does not give a daily sadhana commitment or the commitment to perform a close retreat. It is only the 6 session 4 line prayer and a mantra commitment, which u can even promise only 1 mantra a day! This way, people can enter the mandala, keep very basic commitments with the intention to build on that, and the decision to do sadhanas or which Yidam is left to the individuals according to their own organic decisions.

Nonetheless, I believe it is important for people are 100% committed to following the Buddhist path for their whole life and beyond until enlightenment. If they are, and they are comfortable to committing to reciting a 4-line prayer six times each day together with a small mantra commitment, they are a 'suitable vessel' for receiving empowerment from the New Kadampa Tradition.

What is ideal is to then become familiar and experienced a bit in the common path, and to explore the bodhisattva and tantric vows and get clarification. If they also do some ngondro, this is excellent.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Thank you, Chokyi Dorje.  I will continue my aspiration on the Buddhists path and even with downfalls will be conscientious in both my meditation and percepts practices and hope that all will be fine to eventually towards the path to enlightenment.

Your explanation is greatly appreciated.