Author Topic: Here's something to rejoice! Tibetan Buddhist nuns finally receive Ph.D degrees  (Read 12766 times)

icy

This is certainly a good news.  Will be a welcoming sight to have more Geshemas teaching around the world.  If there can be Geshemas breaking through the Tibetan tradition, the ban on Dorje Shugden can likewise be lifted.  Nothing is permanent.  What have CTA done constructively so far?  The Geshemas programme is now in place but have the CTA move on to assume credibility and responsibility to uplift the ban?

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
Congratulations to the award of a Geshema PhD degree to nuns after 2,500 years later. It might not have been an easy decision of the Dalai Lama's office to approve this but it is time that female are recognized in the spiritual world for their accomplishments.

Whether we are male or female, does it really matter if the mind strife to attain enlightenment to benefit others? For those that worked hard and put in effort to attain the skills and knowledge required, why shouldn't they be allowed to obtain the same level of academic degree as the rest of the male counterpart?

Even universities has not gender bias these days. It is time for the monastic institution to make changes to suit any current condition and environment just so to preserve the precious pure teachings of Tsongkhapa's lineage for future generations to come, especially when the dharma will degenerate further.

Jessie Fong

It is certainly good news that you shared, Harry Nephew.

Nuns have been studying and working hard to be recognised in their "field" just as much as the monks have obtained their Geshe-la titles. Now with this good news, nuns are able to obtain their Geshe-ma titles.

Buddha had never looked down upon the female gender and had placed high esteem on females, acknowledging their role in the society.

lotus1

Searching the info on the Geshe exam and learned that Geshe Kelsang Wangmo, a German nun, became the first woman to earn a Geshe degree in Tibetan Buddhism.

This is so inspiring and I hope more and more nuns earned their Geshe.

Besides, there are also another inspiring Tibetan nun i.e. Jetsunma Tenzin palmo who has started a nunnery in India. The quotes from her is very touching too, “As long as there is discrimination against females, then one should strive to be born again and again in a female body to help that situation. Should the time come when males are in a weaker position, then one would vow to be reborn in a male body.” Such a Boddhisatva!
http://tenzinpalmo.com/tenzin_palmo/biography.htm

gbds3jewels

• Email
While this certainly is good news it also brought forth the question why it took so long just for women to be recognized as geshe in Tibetan Buddhism. Did Buddha really taught the female to be of a lesser being? If it is people who are causing the discrimination and patriarchy practice in Buddhism then it would also make me wonder what other teachings have been compromised!

For me as a woman, Tenzin Palmo definitely leads the way in inspiring female enlightenment. She is my heroine and inspiration.

Rihanna

This is good news for the future of Buddhism and the preservation of Tibetan culture. Tibetan Buddhist nuns are now receiving educational opportunities previously available only to monks. The debate sessions are an integral part of the nuns reaching the level of excellence in their studies that they have.

Education is the key to empowerment. It must have been THE moment that Tibetan Buddhist nuns dream of -- to be in the presence of the Dalai Lama and to hear his words of encouragement about their studies and to be able to receive Geshema degree. Finally, there is equality in education within the monastic system.

samayakeeper

• Email
This is certainly good news which I truly rejoice. As we know, it is not the physical body but the mind that matters in practicing and teaching dharma and now more geshes will be in the making regardless of gender. I opine what is vital is the propagation of dharma by anybody who is qualified by his or her studies and practice, and not by their gender.

Dondrup Shugden

After 2,500 years, Tibet Buddhism had revolutionised and Nuns are accepted for the Geshe degrees.

I rejoice and thank Tenzin Palmo for her work to making this happen.  Tenzin Palmo is such an inspiration to me.

May more nuns arise to be teachers and enable to sit on the throne to expound the Dharma.  Love to see this happen.