Author Topic: wrath  (Read 7163 times)

polartortoise

• Email
wrath
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
not too long ago, karche marpo slapped a young monk before a stunned crowd. it turns out the lad took a car for a joyspin on the roads of italy. without a licence. placing his host at risk of entanglement with the law. boddichitta is an inner aspect. it doesn't necessarily always manifest outwardly as peace n harmony.

and yes, us mere mortals can't see the higher aspects of things. so, we can't fathom the actions of DL. how about an analogy? china taking over tibet was the best thing that could have happened for sentient beings. it scattered the seeds of vajrayana far n wide. does this mean that we applaud EVERYTHING the china govt has done? do we condone the terrible brutalities inflicted because we would not have had our precious gurus n dharma otherwise?

Ensapa

• Email
Re: wrath
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:14:24 AM »
not too long ago, karche marpo slapped a young monk before a stunned crowd. it turns out the lad took a car for a joyspin on the roads of italy. without a licence. placing his host at risk of entanglement with the law. boddichitta is an inner aspect. it doesn't necessarily always manifest outwardly as peace n harmony.

and yes, us mere mortals can't see the higher aspects of things. so, we can't fathom the actions of DL. how about an analogy? china taking over tibet was the best thing that could have happened for sentient beings. it scattered the seeds of vajrayana far n wide. does this mean that we applaud EVERYTHING the china govt has done? do we condone the terrible brutalities inflicted because we would not have had our precious gurus n dharma otherwise?

I have heard of similar stories where the protector in trance would pick up monks and throw them on the floor, in full view of the crowd to purify their negative karma. Usually, monks who were subjected to this are found to have done something wrong in the course of a few months, or they will somehow disrobe. We cannot tell what is going on in reality and the same logic can be applied to the Tibetan occupation. China might have helped disseminate Buddhism in the world, but as everything else in samsara has both positive and negative sides, we should just take the positive side because to take and focus on the negatives brings no benefit whatsoever.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »

That's interesting rhetorical question that you had posed. I don't think anybody is applauding what China did to Tibet. Nobody is really happy, except maybe for the Chinese government. That's one and number 2 is the fact that nobody is applauding everything the Chinese government has done. Come on. Nobody today is that blind towards what the Chinese government has done.

I think people are realistically looking at facts - China is an economic superpower that makes it difficult for Tibet to be antagonized with. Therefore, the stance of many on this forum/website is to try peaceful dialogue instead of protests and self-immolation. Don't misunderstand the meaning behind what the articles and the rest of the things that people are talking about on this forum. I personally feel that the soft approach in engaging China would the most suitable method right now.

Q

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
It is a very common thing for a high lama or even the oracle to beat up monks to purify their negative karma. I have heard stories of which high lamas for example Song Rinpoche would beat his students, and everytime the students will fold their hands, knowing that their compassionate Guru has purified their negative karma which otherwise would have been very bad for them. Our Gurus beat us, is out of compassion, not to harm us.

But it also comes in 2 folds... Some students, if they do not have enough trust in their lama, then the Guru cannot do much for them... So these monks, although it may look 'awful' that they get beaten by the oracle, but you should think it in this way... they had the merits, and their trust in the oracle and their Guru is so strong that they can take this type of beating in front of thousands of other monks, and still fold their hands to thank. Can we do that? I don't think many lay people can be in that position.

dsiluvu

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

That's interesting rhetorical question that you had posed. I don't think anybody is applauding what China did to Tibet. Nobody is really happy, except maybe for the Chinese government. That's one and number 2 is the fact that nobody is applauding everything the Chinese government has done. Come on. Nobody today is that blind towards what the Chinese government has done.

I think people are realistically looking at facts - China is an economic superpower that makes it difficult for Tibet to be antagonized with. Therefore, the stance of many on this forum/website is to try peaceful dialogue instead of protests and self-immolation. Don't misunderstand the meaning behind what the articles and the rest of the things that people are talking about on this forum. I personally feel that the soft approach in engaging China would the most suitable method right now.

I agree with BIG Uncle here... I think we need to be practical and logical when we assess the current situation. The pros and the cons.

Of course we do not applaud EVERYTHING the china govt has done!
Nor do we condone the terrible brutalities inflicted!

But if we have any ounce of intelligence... you would know that the best way to survive, to preserve a culture, in this case Tibetan, and most importantly of all... preserving the Dharma... you would know it is BEST to make FRIENDS with CHINA even though they are the "enemy"! Actually even more so we should be friends... it says even in the 8 verses of mind transformation and it is something "smart" strategist would also do. If you wanna survive and preserved what you have of course. There are more benefits at the moment, more pros to be friends with China.

1. Preserve your culture
2. Spread the Dharma
3. China will help built back your broken monasteries
4. China will allow more monasteries to be built
5. China allows Dorje Shugden or any spiritual practice (except those that look like they are going against the govt)

China is growing, the world listens to them now, so why not ride on their good fortune for now? Think not emotionally but logically is required for survival, for ones future!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

The soft approach has always been the smarter but harder approach because it requires skill, thinking, teamwork and consistency. The refusal of the CTA to try this approach is a clear indication that they lack of all the said qualities, making them an unsuitable government to govern any form of country or land at all. In that light, CTA should not be governing Tibet or Dharamsala at all. So in a way, until CTA changes their approach and clean up their act so to say, they will never get back Tibet for a long, long time. China is ready, Dalai Lama is ready but the CTA is not. All they do is want to get back Tibet but not work towards it in a more solid, realistic way.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
It is such a blessing for the monk to be slapped by Kache Marpo. Just imagine the amount of negative karma that is clear for him just by receiving the slap from Kache Marpo himself. It is such an honor.

Many lama do scold or beat their students. This is out of their compassionate heart to purify or help in the mind transformation of the student, be it a lay person or a sangha member.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:41:26 AM »
It is such a blessing for the monk to be slapped by Kache Marpo. Just imagine the amount of negative karma that is clear for him just by receiving the slap from Kache Marpo himself. It is such an honor.

Many lama do scold or beat their students. This is out of their compassionate heart to purify or help in the mind transformation of the student, be it a lay person or a sangha member.

Sadly, there are many others out there who prefer to have "peaceful" Lamas and say that wrathful lamas are unskillful. They have obviously never gone close to a Lama before and everyone who has would know that a Lama will only manifest his wrathful skills on his closer students and not on the outer students. But then again I think it is because people are too attached to their own comfort zones and to what they think appeals to them the most. Some of these people claim to have received initiations which...makes it even sadder.