Author Topic: Serkong Dorje Chang (2 incarnation ago)  (Read 7678 times)

shugdenpromoter

• Email
Serkong Dorje Chang (2 incarnation ago)
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
This was taken from TK post quite some time back which I thought will be nice to revived it as there are information inside about Serkong Dorje Chang and also answered my question on why Gelug lineage do not encourage the lamas from having consort.

Source : http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=569.0

Serkong Dorje Chang (Two incarnations ago. He is a tulku of Gaden Jangtze Monastery and he has a monastery in Swayambunath, Nepal also) was a enrolled in Gyurme tantric college. During prayers, he would see mini small females dancing in his tea bowls always. He reported this to 13th Dalai lama who advised him to give his robes back and take a consort. He had reached a level where the consort practice would not create desire in his mind, but elevate his practice as he is able to control the flow of 'bodhicitta' hence can experience uncontaminated great bliss and clear light directly.

The 13th Dalai Lama has never advised this to any other Gelug monk. 

Tsongkapa Himself did not take a consort, but left the last stage for the Bardo. Tsongkapa in order to keep his monk vows pure and set the correct example for thousands of disciples, entered clear light of death as a pure monk and attained enlightenment in bardo.

Serkong Dorje Chang did as advised by the 13th Dalai Lama. A consort was seen going inside his meditation cave. The consort gave birth to Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche (also a tulku of Gaden Jangtze Monastery). After the birth, the consort disappeared nowhere to be found. So Serkong Dorje Chang took care of Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche.

Serkong Dorje Chang was often invited to give teachings wearing a layman's chuba in Gaden Jangtze prayer hall attended by all the elites. While he was teaching, he would have the infant Serkong Tsenshab in his arms on the throne. That was a great exception.

Reminiscent of when Candragomin was invited to Nalanda and gave teachings although he was a layman. In order to not confuse the villagers that monks are putting high status on a layperson, they would invite a Manjushri statue and have Candragomin walk behind it. So when they blew conshells, burned incense and threw flowers, ppl thought it was for Manjushri. Otherwise why do sangha show so much respect to layman would have been on the villagers minds creating doubt.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Re: Serkong Dorje Chang (2 incarnation ago)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »
Consort practice has been doubted by many, especially when it seems to clash with the image of holy celibate monks meditating in the forest. It also caused a lot of doubt, especially when there were accusations like that of June Campbell against Kalu Rinpoche (previous incarnation).

Of course, we cannot judge great masters and mahasiddhas, but not many would understand that even sex is a method to liberation. Lord Tsongkhapa is famous for his emphasis on vinaya which was important for the society at that time. Also, establishment of Gelug monasteries especially devoted to Tantric studies dispelled the popular notion that Tantric practitioners always represent a corrupt and degenerate group in Tibet.

According to the Dalai Lama, only a person who views all the phenomena of cyclic existence with complete impartiality is qualified to engage in tantric sexual practices:

“Truthfully, you can only do such practice if there is no sexual desire whatsoever. The kind of realization that is required is like this: If someone gives you a goblet of wine and a glass of urine, or a plate of wonderful food and a piece of excrement, you must be in such a state that you can eat and drink from all four and it makes no difference to you what they are. Then maybe you can do this practice.

(John Powers, ‘Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism’, Snow Lion Publications, 1995, p. 252.)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »

“Truthfully, you can only do such practice if there is no sexual desire whatsoever. The kind of realization that is required is like this: If someone gives you a goblet of wine and a glass of urine, or a plate of wonderful food and a piece of excrement, you must be in such a state that you can eat and drink from all four and it makes no difference to you what they are. Then maybe you can do this practice.

(John Powers, ‘Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism’, Snow Lion Publications, 1995, p. 252.)

There is an incredible account of Serkong Dorje Chang which tells of how Serkong Dorje Chang’s behaviour was very similar to that of the great yogis such as Tilopa and Naropa.

One actual account was during Lhabab Duchen (commemoration of Buddha’s descent from heaven) when the monks of Samteling Monastery were doing the fasting retreat of Avalokiteshvara. Some wanted Serkong Dorje Chang to give the 8 Mahayana Precepts and to lead the retreat.

Serkong Rinpoche came into the gompa, opened a text and said: “If the Lama tells you to lick fresh warm excrement, you should get down on the ground and lick it immediately like this” and Serkong Rinpoche proceeded to make licking sounds. “This is the way to practice Dharma” he said. Then Serkong Dorje Chang closed the text and left!

So attained was Serkong Rinpoche that he viewed all phenomena in Samsara with complete indifference. And with that, Serkong Dorje Chang was allowed by the 13th Dalai Lama to practice with a consort, as desire had no hold on him.

Serkong Dorje Chang was no doubt one of the greatest Masters at the end of the 19th century and many see him as having attained Vajrayogini.

And how did such an acclaimed master see Dorje Shugden?

"Serkong Dorje Chang refers to Dorje Shugden as the Dharma Protector of the Conqueror Manjunatha (Je Tsongkhapa).

There is a modified verse attributed to Sangye Yeshe that says “Lord of Secrets Dulzin Dragpa Gyaltsen, his emanation Dorje Shugden, I respectfully prostrate with my body, speech and mind.” For the short mantra of Dorje Shugden, Rinchen Wangyal’s initiation manual is cited as the source.

In particular, the verses are very specific for describing Dorje Shugden as a special protector of the Gelug, especially of the hearing lineage (snyan rgyud) of “Jamgon Lama Tsongkhapa, Togden Jampel Gyatso, Dulzin Dragpa Gyaltsen, Ensapa, Panchen Lobsang Chokyi Gyaltsen.”

A method of reciting the Migtsema is integrated into the ritual as well. Also, there is a short verse for offering which was spoken by the Dharma Protector himself.

Moreover, Serkong Dorje Chang also wrote this verse:

Fierce collection of all power and capability, clothed in blue,?
Showing in the form of a dregs to subdue the unsuitable,?
Magic-wielding Dorje Shugden and retinue,?I respectfully prostrate with my body, speech and mind.

The initial epithets obviously refer to Vajrapani, and Dorje Shugden is Vajrapani with the same characteristics of possessing both power and strength".

Source: http://dorjeshugdenhistory.org/among-shugden-texts-1856.html

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »
Well, that incarnation was responsible for one of the earliest known puja text in use by Trode Khangsar for a long time, even before the advent of Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche. 

"Serkong Dorje Chang writes that one of the earliest and most significant Dorje Shugden rituals, Petition to Dorje Shugden Tsel: Granting all Desired Activities, is most likely co-composed by the third Dreuley incarnation, Drubwang Tenzin Zangpo and Morchen Kunga Lhundrub. So significant it was that Serkong Dorje Chang would also later incorporate this ritual into his own writings and it was included in the extensive catalogue of Shugden texts and lineages compiled by Lobsang Tamdin." - http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=13533

In this text, Serkong Dorje Chang called Dorje Shugden, Dharma Protector of the Conqueror Manjunatha (Je Tsongkhapa).

Unfortunately, the current incarnation, the 3rd Serkong Dorje Chang has declared on his new blog:-

"UNFORTUNATELY WHEN SOMEONE LOOKS UP MY NAME ON INTERNET,  IT IMMEDIATELY APPEARS IN THE DORJE SHUGDEN WEBSITES.
I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER PRAY TO DORJE SHUGDEN!
THIS MUST BE MADE CLEAR FROM THE FIRST PAGE OF MY BLOG!

WHEN I WAS 4 YEARS OLD I WAS RECOGNIZED BY HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA DURING A KALACHAKRA INITIATION IN BODHGAYA AS THE REINCARNATION OF THE 2nd SERKONG DORJEE CHANG.

AT 19 YEARS OLD I ALSO RECEIVED FULL MONASTIC ORDINATION FROM HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA.

HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA GAVE ME MY NAME "TENZIN NGAWANG TSULTRIM DHONDEN".

I FOLLOW EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING THAT HH THE DALAI LAMA TELLS ME."

http://www.serkongdorjeechangrinpoche.com/?view=classic

negra orquida

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Well, that incarnation was responsible for one of the earliest known puja text in use by Trode Khangsar for a long time, even before the advent of Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche. 

"Serkong Dorje Chang writes that one of the earliest and most significant Dorje Shugden rituals, Petition to Dorje Shugden Tsel: Granting all Desired Activities, is most likely co-composed by the third Dreuley incarnation, Drubwang Tenzin Zangpo and Morchen Kunga Lhundrub. So significant it was that Serkong Dorje Chang would also later incorporate this ritual into his own writings and it was included in the extensive catalogue of Shugden texts and lineages compiled by Lobsang Tamdin." - http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=13533

In this text, Serkong Dorje Chang called Dorje Shugden, Dharma Protector of the Conqueror Manjunatha (Je Tsongkhapa).

Unfortunately, the current incarnation, the 3rd Serkong Dorje Chang has declared on his new blog:-

"UNFORTUNATELY WHEN SOMEONE LOOKS UP MY NAME ON INTERNET,  IT IMMEDIATELY APPEARS IN THE DORJE SHUGDEN WEBSITES.
I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER PRAY TO DORJE SHUGDEN!
THIS MUST BE MADE CLEAR FROM THE FIRST PAGE OF MY BLOG!

WHEN I WAS 4 YEARS OLD I WAS RECOGNIZED BY HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA DURING A KALACHAKRA INITIATION IN BODHGAYA AS THE REINCARNATION OF THE 2nd SERKONG DORJEE CHANG.

AT 19 YEARS OLD I ALSO RECEIVED FULL MONASTIC ORDINATION FROM HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA.

HH THE 14th DALAI LAMA GAVE ME MY NAME "TENZIN NGAWANG TSULTRIM DHONDEN".

I FOLLOW EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING THAT HH THE DALAI LAMA TELLS ME."

http://www.serkongdorjeechangrinpoche.com/?view=classic

I was about to rejoice that such a highly attained master was in the DS camp until i saw this post... all i can say is "woah". at least his first sentence indicates that Shugdenpas cared most about him to research about him and promote him online! wonder why he'd make such a statement when there are so many text to evidence that he had very high respect for DS... he could have just stayed quiet and not appear to be eating his previous reincarnation's words? unless that is precisely the effect he's trying to achieve to attract awareness of the DS issue.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »

I was about to rejoice that such a highly attained master was in the DS camp until i saw this post... all i can say is "woah". at least his first sentence indicates that Shugdenpas cared most about him to research about him and promote him online! wonder why he'd make such a statement when there are so many text to evidence that he had very high respect for DS... he could have just stayed quiet and not appear to be eating his previous reincarnation's words? unless that is precisely the effect he's trying to achieve to attract awareness of the DS issue.

Well, like I said earlier, we cannot judge great masters at work  ;D

I am not very familiar with Serkong Dorje Chang, except that I know he was close with Lama Zopa. Lama Zopa has high regards for Serkong Dorje Chang. Although Lama Zopa never received any initiations or oral transmission of texts from Serkong Dorje Chang, Lama Zopa regards him as one of his Gurus. Lama Zopa also said that whenever he went to see Serkong Dorje Chang, he would have no doubt that he was in the presence of Yamantaka.

In Lama Zopa's book, "The Joy of Compassion",  Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche (son of Serkong Dorje Chang) became the teacher of the current incarnation of Serkong Dorje Chang, and Serkong Tsenshab Rinpoche always used to say, "Oh, Serkong Dorje Chang - those ancient yogis were something like that". 

I have no doubt that this great Lama is a Mahasiddha and of course are here again to benefit sentient beings. I also think Lama Zopa is an extraordinary Lama, and you know what these extraordinary people do?  ;D I heard that Lama Zopa Rinpoche once took Serkong Dorje Chang 'shopping' to buy a monastery in Nepal, not your usual shopping!