Author Topic: 10 Buddhist Women Every Person Should Know  (Read 24184 times)

Big Uncle

10 Buddhist Women Every Person Should Know
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
According to this site,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-zesho-susan-oconnell/10-buddhist-women-you-should-know_b_1388248.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism

everybody should know about these 10 Buddhist women. Click on the link above to read a little article about it and the esteemed women are:-

1. Mahaprajapati
2. Nancy Wilson Ross
3. Elsie Mitchell
4. Maurine Stuart
5. Zenkei Blanche Hartman
6. Eijun Linda Ruth Cutts
7. Pema Chodron
8. Sharon Salzberg
9. Karma Lekshe Tsomo
10. Emila Heller

Notoriously missing are Asian Buddhist women like Rev Cheng Yen of Taiwan and many others. So what do you think of this list?

DSFriend

Re: 10 Buddhist Women Every Person Should Know
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:31:06 AM »
I certainly am not familiar with the names listed in here. It is interesting to know the few from zen tradition having brought Buddhism to elite schools such as Cambridge for the great minds. These are pioneers and is inspiring to read about them as they have in their own rights furthered buddhism and has played a major role for buddhism to take roots in their own countries.

I'd like to add to the list the few names come to mind which inspires me :

-Dorje Pakmo - third highest ranking in hierarchy after the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama
- Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo, the first Western woman to be recognized as a tulku (reincarnate lama) in 1987
- Ven. Tenzin Palmo - (You must read her book "Cave in the Snow")

Positive Change

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
According to this site,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-zesho-susan-oconnell/10-buddhist-women-you-should-know_b_1388248.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism

everybody should know about these 10 Buddhist women. Click on the link above to read a little article about it and the esteemed women are:-

1. Mahaprajapati
2. Nancy Wilson Ross
3. Elsie Mitchell
4. Maurine Stuart
5. Zenkei Blanche Hartman
6. Eijun Linda Ruth Cutts
7. Pema Chodron
8. Sharon Salzberg
9. Karma Lekshe Tsomo
10. Emila Heller

Notoriously missing are Asian Buddhist women like Rev Cheng Yen of Taiwan and many others. So what do you think of this list?

What is really interesting to note is that 8 out of these 10 women are actually Caucasian women. Goes to show Buddhism has indeed spread out to the west and beyond.

Notably missing too are the following:

1. Samding Dorje Pagmo: In the fifteenth century CE, Princess Chokyi-dronme was recognized as the embodiment of the meditation deity and female Buddha in the Vajrayana tradition, Vajravarahi. Chokyi-dronme became known as Samding Dorje Pagmo and began a line of female tulkus, reincarnate lamas. At present, the twelfth of this line lives in Tibet.

2. Shugseb Jetsun Rinpoche (c. 1865–1951): A female tulku lineage that began in the late nineteenth century CE. While she received teachings of all the Tibetan schools, Shugseb Jetsun Rinpoche was particularly known for holding a lineage of Chöd, the meditation practice of offering one's own body for the benefit of others. At the start of the twentieth century, Shugsheb Jetsun Rinpoche - also called Ani Lochen Chönyi Zangmo - founded the Shuksep or Shugsep nunnery located thirty miles from Lhasa on the slopes of Mount Gangri Thökar. It became one of the largest and most famous nunneries in Tibet.

3. Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo: a Tibetan Buddhist nun, author, teacher and founder of the Dongyu Gatsal Ling Nunnery in Himachal Pradesh, India. She spent twelve years living in a remote cave in the Himalayas, three of those years in strict meditation retreat.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
I do not know of anyone on this list. The Buddhist woman that I know that is famous is Tina Turner.  :-\ I really liked the list. I believe that the list will remind those who think that only men can become Buddhist and practice well. Woman all have the ability for Enlightenment. All sentient beings have that possibility. People who still believe women can't become Enlightened have their mind outdated for a few millennia. I can give a whole list of female Buddhas to prove it. But the list would be pretty long. You can refer here (if you like): http://lhamo.tripod.com/9deity.htm

dsiluvu

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
I am also not familiar with this list except for Pema Chodron and they are saying we must know them lol! And Tina is not even in the list.  :-[ Okay... How about adding to the list which includes celebrities that we do know more...  ;)

1. Ernestine Anderson - jazz singer
2. Laurie Anderson - performance artist
3. Kate Bosworth - actress
4. Susan Blackmore - parapsychologist, Zen Buddhist, ghost buster, professional skeptic
5. Cora L. E. Christian - Black female doctor who was an independent candidate for Governor of U.S. Virgin   6. Islands, 2002.
7. Dadon Dawadolma - singer, actress
8. Diane di Prima - Feminist poet
9. Nathaniel Dorsky - filmmaker
10. Goldie Hawn - Oscar-winning actress
11. Becky Johnston - author, screenwriter
12. Jennifer Lopez - singer, actress
13. Joanna Lumley - actress
14. Melissa Mathison - screenwriter
15. Tano Maeda - filmmaker
16. Me'shell Ndegeocello - musician, songwriter
17. Patti Smith - rock star
18. Renee Tajima-Pena - filmmaker
19. Tina Turner - singer
20. Uma Thurman - actress
21. Babeth VanLoo - filmmaker
22. Alice Walker - author, The Color Purple
23. Ruby Wax - actress, comedienne
24. Sharon Stone - actress

Source: http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_buddhist.html

Here a Video - enjoy!

Famous Buddhist women Small | Large

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
I am also not familiar with this list except for Pema Chodron and they are saying we must know them lol! And Tina is not even in the list.  :-[ Okay... How about adding to the list which includes celebrities that we do know more...  ;)

1. Ernestine Anderson - jazz singer
2. Laurie Anderson - performance artist
3. Kate Bosworth - actress
4. Susan Blackmore - parapsychologist, Zen Buddhist, ghost buster, professional skeptic
5. Cora L. E. Christian - Black female doctor who was an independent candidate for Governor of U.S. Virgin   6. Islands, 2002.
7. Dadon Dawadolma - singer, actress
8. Diane di Prima - Feminist poet
9. Nathaniel Dorsky - filmmaker
10. Goldie Hawn - Oscar-winning actress
11. Becky Johnston - author, screenwriter
12. Jennifer Lopez - singer, actress
13. Joanna Lumley - actress
14. Melissa Mathison - screenwriter
15. Tano Maeda - filmmaker
16. Me'shell Ndegeocello - musician, songwriter
17. Patti Smith - rock star
18. Renee Tajima-Pena - filmmaker
19. Tina Turner - singer
20. Uma Thurman - actress
21. Babeth VanLoo - filmmaker
22. Alice Walker - author, The Color Purple
23. Ruby Wax - actress, comedienne
24. Sharon Stone - actress

Source: http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_buddhist.html

Here a Video - enjoy!

Famous Buddhist women

Wow! I didn't know there's so many actresses are Buddhists. They should talk more or perhaps do more to promote Buddhism so we know that Buddhism has a huge following. I really like this and I think there's just so many Buddhist female celebrities is because Buddhist teachings and methods have an amazingly powerful effect to calm the mind and keep it focus in the demanding world of Hollywood celebrityhood.

Actually, I have 2 more famous women in mind. They are famous Yogini teachers from India and Tibet. One is Niguma, the sister of Naropa, who was famous for her 6 yogas of Niguma and the other is Machig Labdron. She founded the Tantric Chod tradition. Machig Labdron is very significant because she started a whole Tantric system that was indigenous of Tibet and her system was debated and checked upon in the monasteries of India.

thor

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »
The difference with the celebrities suggested by dsiluvu and the list of 10 women is that the 10 women actually play a very active role in spreading Buddhism wherever they are. Unfortunately, most of these women are completely unknown to those not into Buddhism, as their name and works remain in Buddhist circles only.

Whereas the celebrities mentioned below are buddhist, but how much do they do for the growth of Buddhism? They could do so much more, since they have the karma to have name, fame and the attention of the world. Sure, KD Lang and Tina Turner do the odd interview and TV show where they talk passionately about the buddhist aspect of their lives. But they dont do it often enough, and I really wish and hope that more celebrities, male or female, will come forward as champions of Buddhism.

Here is one such interview with KD Lang, where she "comes out" more on her practices. More please!
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3184&Itemid=247

Melvin McLeod: Committing to a teacher as you have, particularly one in the Tibetan tradition, can really turn your life upside down.

k.d. lang: Yes, absolutely! [Laughs] That’s very true! When you find your teacher your life is turned upside down, but in the most divine way. My involvement with the dharma has completely changed the structure of my life. Our sangha is very small, so we work very hard. I would say that supporting Lama Gyatso Rinpoche’s activities is my number-one job. Together with my partner, Jamie Price, I’m on the board of directors of Ari Bödh, the American Foundation for Tibetan Cultural Preservation. We’ve been building a long-term retreat centre on a 475-acre retreat property north of Los Angeles. We’re just four years old now, but we are planning to create a facility that will accommodate retreats of three or more years. We have a temple, which has a lovely statue of Guru Rinpoche commissioned by Lama Gyatso.

We also have a children’s camp called Tools for Peace. The curriculum we use there is being translated into four languages now. Kids come to Ari Bödh every summer for the camp, and I serve as a cook and bottle washer there. It’s very rewarding.

diamond girl

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »
The difference with the celebrities suggested by dsiluvu and the list of 10 women is that the 10 women actually play a very active role in spreading Buddhism wherever they are. Unfortunately, most of these women are completely unknown to those not into Buddhism, as their name and works remain in Buddhist circles only.

Whereas the celebrities mentioned below are buddhist, but how much do they do for the growth of Buddhism? They could do so much more, since they have the karma to have name, fame and the attention of the world. Sure, KD Lang and Tina Turner do the odd interview and TV show where they talk passionately about the buddhist aspect of their lives. But they dont do it often enough, and I really wish and hope that more celebrities, male or female, will come forward as champions of Buddhism.

Here is one such interview with KD Lang, where she "comes out" more on her practices. More please!
http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3184&Itemid=247

Melvin McLeod: Committing to a teacher as you have, particularly one in the Tibetan tradition, can really turn your life upside down.

k.d. lang: Yes, absolutely! [Laughs] That’s very true! When you find your teacher your life is turned upside down, but in the most divine way. My involvement with the dharma has completely changed the structure of my life. Our sangha is very small, so we work very hard. I would say that supporting Lama Gyatso Rinpoche’s activities is my number-one job. Together with my partner, Jamie Price, I’m on the board of directors of Ari Bödh, the American Foundation for Tibetan Cultural Preservation. We’ve been building a long-term retreat centre on a 475-acre retreat property north of Los Angeles. We’re just four years old now, but we are planning to create a facility that will accommodate retreats of three or more years. We have a temple, which has a lovely statue of Guru Rinpoche commissioned by Lama Gyatso.

We also have a children’s camp called Tools for Peace. The curriculum we use there is being translated into four languages now. Kids come to Ari Bödh every summer for the camp, and I serve as a cook and bottle washer there. It’s very rewarding.

I appreciate what you have said Thor. Thank you. I do feel that, as much as like the celebrity Women who are Buddhist, the key is really how much are they doing to spread Buddhism? Their practice of Buddhism is for themselves, and I do not mean this in a selfish way. They are Buddhist practitioners who are also famous. But the article here is about Buddhist Women who practise and make a difference in Buddhism around the world.

Also the fact that the ones recognised are Western and recognised in the West, reflects that Asia is still backwards in the gender equality which shows in the lack of recognition for Buddhist nuns. Even in non-religious affairs, successful women are not as promoted and celebrated as men. Personally, I have always grown up seeing monks. And I was always taught that because I am female, I must always not go near or even touch the monks. This always made me feel "rejected" in the religion. However, now I appreciate Buddhism and will learn from any master, irregardless of gender.

negra orquida

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
hmm i have not heard of the 10 women listed in the Huffington Post... When i saw the title of this thread i thought i'd find Tenzin Palmo, Reverend Cheng Yen and Aung San Suu Kyi's names listed..

After going through the brief excerpt of these women, I think this list is to highlight the female pioneers of Buddhism in the West.

I watched the video posted by dsiluvu... its interesting to note that the music theme is oriental and the celebrities featured are westerners. and the description of the video is "a brief list of pictures of some surprisingly buddhist women" why is it that we are surprised if we find out a western celebrity is a Buddhist? i typed "asian christian celebrities" and the type of results that came out are different from "celebrity Buddhists".. check it out...

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
My comments on this list :

1. It is very Western-central, all of the ten notable ladies are from the West, this explains why Rev Cheng Yen, who founded Tsu Chi 40+ years ago in a small town Taiwan and now the organization has thousands of centers worldwide and millions of followers. This shows that the selection was done not based on throughout research.

2. All of the ten notable ladies in the list are either writers (Pema Chodron being the most famous one), or teachers. This shows that their dharma work actually benefit many people.

3. It would be good if the criteria of selecting are made transparent, so we understand why some obvious candidates were left out.

Anyway, for those who had not made it to this list, it doesnt matter for them because a true dharma practitioner would not need any recognition.

Down with the BAN!!!

Q

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
Hmm... of the 10 in the list... I only know one! Which means to say I haven't been doing much reading!

I'm not very surprised on the outcome of that list... after all, it is a list produced by the western world... its not that there are no great Asian masters, there are! Just low profiled.

I once heard someone told me (or perhaps I read it somewhere, cant remember) that... while Buddhism touches the hearts of people in the west, so does it diminish in the east... is it because of balance? karma? I dont know... but it certainly looks logical, for so many reasons. I just hope everyone will get their share of Dharma in their lives.

RedLantern

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

While it is truly beautiful that so many people are realizingthere is more to life than meets the eye,how many people are Buddhist because they want to follow the path and end suffering or because they are looking for a new shining label on their reputation?
People are always fascinated with celebrities especially with their lifestyle,practice and so on.There are many famous Buddhist actors and actresses but not all practice seriously.They are called the 'not-really- a- Buddhist'

Klein

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
There is a lack of Asian women in the list who are Buddhist and very powerful in their own rights. They are:
1. The Princess of Thailand Maha Chakri Sirindhorn
2. Michelle Yeoh of Malaysia
3. Aung San Su Kyi of Burma
4. Lilian Too of Malaysia
5. Queen of Bhutan Jetsun Pema
6. Faye Wong of China
7. Karina Lau of Hong Kong SAR

Historical influential Buddhist women were:
1. Empress Wu of China
2. Prajapati (The 1st Buddhist nun who was Shakymuni Buddha's step mother)
3. Princess Wencheng of Tang Dynasty
4. Princess Kuan Yin of China

The above ladies were and are influential in different areas of their community.

honeydakini

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

LOL I'm not sure you'd quite use the word "notorious" for a lovely gentle nun like the venerable Cheng Yen!

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15:59 PM »
I think I can only think of 8 if I were to prepare a list. Sad. It’s time to produce more great Buddhist women in the world  ???

1. Dorje Pakmo
2. Khandro Rinpoche
3.Tsultrim Allione
4. Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo
5. Master Cheng Yen
6. Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo
7. Pema Chodron
8. Thubten Chodron