Author Topic: What is the true spirit of Buddhist practice?  (Read 10567 times)

Dorje Pakmo

Re: What is the true spirit of Buddhist practice?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
a.  ' Because this is possible , I will do it. '
b.  ' Even though it looks impossible, i will still strive to do it.'
c.  ' Nothing is impossible. Just do it and NOW.

-Which of the above honestly best reflect your attitude to practice?
b. Best reflects my current attitude of practice. Many times we are put into situation where things seem impossible or people telling us it is impossible. We perceive it to be impossible because of our own negativity and thick habituations of giving up each time a difficult situation arises. Giving up is the easiest solution and a cause for us to keep failing in the future. The best way to attack this negative way of thinking is to strive to do it, even though it looks impossible. Nothing is permanent; hence the situation and solutions to the problems will reveal itself if we work hard enough.

-They are all positive attitudes which are helpful to one's spiritual path. What is the difference between them ?
The difference between the three positive attitudes is the degree of commitment one put into practice. One can stay COMFORTABLE and achieve very normal, expected, and predictable results, or one can choose to go OUT OF COMFORT ZONEs, strive to do what seem impossible to the comfortable predictable people and show powerful and inspiring results or one do not hesitate and without a doubt, JUST DO IT AND GET RESULT.

-Which of the three atttitudes best describes Prince Siddharta's quest for enlightenment ?
c
DORJE PAKMO

Dhiman

Re: What is the true spirit of Buddhist practice?
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »
Would there be anything that precedes A? Something like: this is possible but I'm too darn lazy to do it? I think I've spent most of my life with that attitude.

- Which of the above honestly best reflect your attitude of practice?
I think presently I am at B because to me, spiritual tasks and practices are always disguised in that 'impossible' form due to my negative habituations and obscurations. They seem impossible but many others have proven it to be achievable and basically it just depends on how badly I want the results. Additionally I am more open minded towards failing since it is a part of the learning curve.

- They are all positive attitudes which are helpful to one's spiritual path. What is the difference between them?
I think the difference between the 3 attitudes is the level of desire towards the fruit of the practice, on the spiritual path is to gain full realization and to achieve enlightenment.

- Which of the three atttitudes best describes Prince Siddharta's quest for enlightenment?
It is undoubtedly C because during Prince Siddharta's time there were no teachings about Buddhahood to set the bar for him. His situation required him to strongly believe in the impossible (enlightenment) and to spend most of his life committing to it.