Author Topic: How to explain Karma without sounding like Fear Tactics?  (Read 11716 times)

Aurore

Re: How to explain Karma without sounding like Fear Tactics?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
Fear tactics seem to work for other religion, why can't it work for Buddhism?

One of my friend told me this before about her husband and how she appreciated that her husband was god-fearing hence he is a good man. To the spiritual ones or if they are already Buddhist, etc, I feel that karma should be explained. What is the point of calling yourself a Buddhist and not believe in karma?

For non-believers, I wouldn't go so deep into karma and the three lower realms, etc. I would focus on what goes around comes around. It is quite normal for people to believe that there is consequences to all their actions. Give simple scenarios that makes sense in the layman term such as if you drink water, your thirst will be quenched. If you hit or scold a stranger, you will get shit look, scolded back or beaten. It's samples of action and reaction. When people understand that karma is not something mystical but it's something that makes sense in the ordinary world, then you can explain further about why some are born unfortunate, disabled and in a bad condition. Make them think by asking questions.

Hope this help.

Midakpa

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
I agree with Kurava that fear is a good thing. Because of fear we take refuge in the three jewels so we won't go to the lower realms. If fear tactics work, a lot of people would be saved! Unfortunately, for people who don't believe in karma or future lives, whatever you say will have no effect.

If the person is open what you can do is give him/her something to read about karma and the fruits of karma. In books on karma, there would be lots of examples on the results of good and bad karma, so the reader will be able to get the knowledge and examine his own downfalls and virtues as well. Karma is not only about going to hell or heaven. It's about overcoming suffering and become liberated from cyclic existence.

Tenzin K

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
Human phycology act effectively towards fear. With fear it able to push someone to another level. Personally to me, fear is something that we worry of bad thing happen to us. Sound like some selfish thought but for me it’s a good start.

Understanding Karma and fear for act resulted in negative effect is fine. We might no need to fear if we able to fully control our mind and act but for a start or beginner it’s completely fine because we need a mechanism to watch us to control our thought and action. 

Positive Change

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »
It is quite common for religions to use fear tactics, for example in one of the famous religions, it is said that if you don't believe in their supreme being, then you will go to hell.

I love the Karma theory, but, I thought karma theory itself also sound like a fear tactic: If you don't do good things, then you will go to the lower realms (and hell is one of the 3 lower realms).

I personally hate this fear tactic even though many people actually buy in to this. While I "condemn" others for using fear tactics, it seems like I am shooting myself in the foot because I am explaining Karma in a fear tactic way.

So, my question is, how do I explain karma without sounding too much like fear tactics? Any help here will be grateful!

I reckon we only "fear" it because it rings true. I do not believe it to be fear tactics as such. It is merely the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts! I hurts the very core of our being, our ego and that realization translates into fear because we know it to be true.

And as such this is a good thing. As Buddhist we believe in Karma and the after life more so than most. That does not make is better in anyway but merely more "well informed" I would say. And if the information makes us fearful of our samsaric actions and makes us change for the better great! That is what transformation is about.

If living with Dharma does not make us come to such realization what is the point. Less I digress further, to explain Karma as the truth will sound frightful and by right it should be. We cannot water down the truth... we should not! At least that is my belief. If one is not ready to hear about Karma then there are other means of "explaining" life after death... the disparity of lives on this very earth and if we were indeed created equal (I mean no disrespect to anyone with that reference and is by no means a referral to any person or persons)...

Aurore

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »

I reckon we only "fear" it because it rings true. I do not believe it to be fear tactics as such. It is merely the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts! I hurts the very core of our being, our ego and that realization translates into fear because we know it to be true.

And as such this is a good thing. As Buddhist we believe in Karma and the after life more so than most. That does not make is better in anyway but merely more "well informed" I would say. And if the information makes us fearful of our samsaric actions and makes us change for the better great! That is what transformation is about.

Agree with Positive Change on truth factor causes the fear factor. To add on to this, for fear to be felt, truth has to be accepted in the first place. When someone feels the fear after being explained about karma means they accept karma (which is a good thing btw). If they don't, I doubt they will feel any fear because in their mind they are already thinking firm this karma thing is bullshit. Some find it easier to believe other "truth" which is believe in god and you go to heaven and vice versa. Faith is what determines someone to believe the truth. Lay more facts can help one gain more faith in the subject matter.

ratanasutra

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »
Karma has it own meaning but how we can deliver it to other it depend on how skilful we are, we should not explain to other base on our knowledge but should explain to other base on their level of mind.

When i first joined in Tibetan buddhist, my teacher only taught me simple thing and simple meaning that i can relate and understand as he knew it won't frighten me out and that what i can absorb, few years later he taught me same topic again but the way he explained and give example was much different which i won't understand this in a few years ago.

For me, i won't force the fact of people doing bad things will collect negative karma and end up to the hell. i will be explain karma about yesterday, today and tomorrow.