Author Topic: Disappeared for 17 years and finally there's some news.....  (Read 11888 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
Disappeared for 17 years and finally there's some news.....
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
Dear All

After 17years of no news, suddenly there's a call from 'someone' to Phayul informing of the whereabouts of HH the XIth Panchen Lama Gedun Choekyi Nyima. I wonder what's up Phayul's/China's sleeves next.

Take a good read guys!

link: http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=31289&article=Choekyi+Nyima+is+in+mainland+China+with+family%3A+Chinese+Embassy+official

Choekyi Nyima is in mainland China with family: Chinese Embassy official
Phayul[Wednesday, April 25, 2012 17:51]
By Tendar Tsering

DHARAMSHALA, April 25: Speaking to Phayul over phone, an official in the Press Section of the Chinese Embassy in New Delhi today said that the XIth Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima is in “mainland China along with his family.”

“He is currently in mainland China along with his family and he doesn’t want to be disturbed,” the press officer, who declined from giving his name told Phayul.

When asked why the XIth Panchen Lama doesn’t want to be disturbed, the Chinese official, instead of giving a straight answer, blamed the Dalai Lama for “fabricating the truth.”

The XIth Panchen Lama, who turns 23 today, was abducted at the age of six along with his family, shortly after he was recognised as the reincarnation of the Xth Panchen Lama by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Despite repeated international pressure, the Chinese government has refrained from disclosing the well-being and whereabouts of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima and his family.

Coinciding with the XIth Panchen Lama’s 23rd birthday, Tibetans and supporters worldwide organised campaigns demanding his release.

In Dharamshala, the exile Tibetan headquarters, a group of four major Tibetan NGOs conducted a day-long petition drive demanding the Panchen Lama’s release. Signatories were also urged to call the Chinese Embassy to ask for the whereabouts of the XIth Panchen Lama.

“This year marks Panchen Lama’s 17th year of abduction by the Chinese Government after being recognised,” a joint release by the group said. “Gedhun Choekyi Nyima’s abduction is not only a violation of Tibet’s religious freedom but also a human rights violation.”

Following the XIth Panchen Lama’s abduction in 1995, Beijing handpicked another boy, Gyaltsen Norbu to occupy the seat of the Panchen Lamas.

In a release, the exile base of the Panchen Lama’s traditional monastery, Tashi Lhunpo in south India, said the abduction and disappearance of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima were in clear contradiction to China’s claims of “democratic and religious freedom” in Tibet.

“Chinese authorities continue to claim that the people under their rule enjoy democratic and religious freedoms. However, this has repeatedly been proved wrong by the very fact that the Chinese authorities have detained the 11th Panchen Lama for 17 long years since he was only six years old, refusing to provide any verifiable information of his health, well-being and whereabouts and depriving him of traditional Buddhist education,” the statement said.

“The abduction and disappearance of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the rightful Panchen Lama, and the instalment of Gyaltsen Norbu in his place is evidence enough of the fact that Tibetans in Tibet do not enjoy any special child rights, human rights or religious freedom, and that Chinese authorities have no regard whatsoever for these rights and freedoms,” the statement added.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Zach

Re: Disappeared for 17 years and finally there's some news.....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
If I where Him I wouldn't want to be found by people who would use me as a political tool to create more suffering.

Klein

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
If the claim is true that the abducted XI Panchen Lama is still alive, that's great news. It's just a matter of time that the Panchen Lama will do his duty to spread the dharma.

I don't understand what the following refers to:

"When asked why the XIth Panchen Lama doesn’t want to be disturbed, the Chinese official, instead of giving a straight answer, blamed the Dalai Lama for “fabricating the truth.”"

What did HHDL fabricate? Does anyone know? Or is it an excuse from the Chinese for not wanting the public to know the truth of the status of the Panchen Lama? I won't be surprised to hear that the Chinese authorities are trying to brain wash him. If he's the real mc coy, they can forget it!

thor

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Klein, its not difficult to guess.

Many will say that the Chinese government abducted the 11th Panchen Lama as a political move, since the Panchen Lama is considered the 2nd highest Lama in the Tibetan political scene, second only to the Dalai Lama. Whereelse, China would have you believe that the Dalai Lama's chosen candidate is wrong, while China's choice of Panchen Lama is the correct one.

Granted, China's candidate is facing a fair amount of resistance, particularly among those who support the Dalai Lama. In fact, the China Panchen Lama has been doing many tours and public appearances, presumably to boost his credibility. In fact, this is the first time he is giving a speech outside mainland china:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/26/china-panchen-lama-buddhists-speech

Now here is a twist. There are many people who are against China's Panchen Lama, while many others support him too. And although the Dalai Lama is against this Panchen Lama, other high respected Gelug Lamas have been showing great reverence and respect to the Chinese Panchen Lama, including Gaden Trisur Rinpoche and Gangchen Rinpoche. See the attached pictures. Gangchen Rinpoche paid his respects to the newly enthroned Chinese Panchen Lama in 1997, while more recently, Gaden Trisur Rinpoche paid a visit to the Panchen Lama in 2011.

I have asked many monk friends of mine as to what they think of the Chinese Panchen Lama. They all say that they respect him very much, that he is doing good work, and that many people visit him and his monastery. They also say that the presence of the Panchen Lama is a great blessing and people appreciate him.

Now, skeptics may point to the fact that Shugden practitioners are under China's payroll hence their support of the 11th Panchen Lama. However, it is only the Shugden practitioners who dare to go against what the Dalai Lama says. They choose guru devotion and logic over political correctness. Would any lama dare to support the Chinese Panchen Lama and risk the wrath of the Tibetan Administration? Or would they hide behind appearances and not do anything to support the Panchen Lama, just like they practice Dorje Shugden in secret but outwardly condemn Shugden practitioners?

You think for yourself.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
If the claim is true that the abducted XI Panchen Lama is still alive, that's great news. It's just a matter of time that the Panchen Lama will do his duty to spread the dharma.

"When asked why the XIth Panchen Lama doesn’t want to be disturbed, the Chinese official, instead of giving a straight answer, blamed the Dalai Lama for “fabricating the truth.”"

What did HHDL fabricate? Does anyone know? Or is it an excuse from the Chinese for not wanting the public to know the truth of the status of the Panchen Lama? I won't be surprised to hear that the Chinese authorities are trying to brain wash him. If he's the real mc coy, they can forget it!

Does anyone see a coincidence when the Panchen Lama's incarnation dissappeared, it was also the same time when the ban on Dorje Shugden was intensified. I am wondering if there is a connection between these two incidents? Perhaps the Panchen Lama is expressing his disapproval by not manifesting and disappearing? As we know, the Panchen Lama is a very strong practitioner of Dorje Shugden.

Even if China recognized their own Panchen Lama without HHDL's approval, it does not invalidate their choice of the Panchen Lama or make that Panchen Lama less legal or less authentic since we can already have 2 Karmapas already, so why not 2 Panchen Lamas? One in hiding and the other one leading the Tibetans in Tibet spiritually while staying in line with the wishes of the chinese government

So if the ban is the real cause of why the Panchen Lama refused to reconnect with the CTA, is it not time for it to stop? I am very confident that once the CTA stops the ban, the "real" Panchen Lama will surface. The real reason why Panchen Lama cannot manifest is because of the ban. It is very well known that it was Dorje Shugden who had reminded the Panchen Lama in one of his previous lives to focus on Gelug.

If the student defies the Lama, why should the Lama come back and make his appearance to the student again? The samaya has already been broken. Likewise, if the student defies the Lama's practice and expects the Lama to come back, how can this be? The Panchen Lamas has been the traditional teachers of the Dalai Lamas, which makes him the teacher of the Dalai Lama by default and so by defying his teacher, HHDL has prevented his teacher from manifesting for a higher reason, perhaps.

Tammy

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:49:07 AM »
I am not into politics and I can't understand why would anyone used other people for his/her own benefits! Don't they understand this would create huge amount of negative karma for themselves? Sigh I guess not.

By now, China government should already realized their actions had resulted in the spreading of Buddha's teaching in the West by chasing away the Tibetan high lamas!!! Thank you Thank you !!

And now, are they looking looking for the replacement of HHDL? In my mind, no one is able to replace his holiness and I would only recognize HHDL's real reincarnation after his passing.
Down with the BAN!!!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »
I find this quite interesting. Obv the Chinese govt are well aware of the influence of the sangha in Tibet. Otherwise why kidnap a boy whom they say is no one important? Why pick their own boy as the Panchen Lama when they supposedly do not believe in religion? And in fact, by releasing a statement saying that hes alive and well in mainland China, is an admittance to the fact they nicked him so many years ago.

And FYI Tibetan government, your statement can very well apply to yourselves too, for all the Dorje Shugden practitioners you put under effective house arrest, so afraid they are to go outside for fear of being persecuted.

"Chinese authorities continue to claim that the people under their rule enjoy democratic and religious freedoms. However, this has repeatedly been proved wrong by the very fact that the Chinese authorities have detained the 11th Panchen Lama for 17 long years..."

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
Due to the policies of previous chinese leaders, China is now left with a void and a need for spirituality. There are many Chinese citizens now who lack a spiritual direction in life although they have all the wealth that then can possibly imagine and acquire. This is more and more felt in China as people start to lose their values as a human being and they feel empty and there will be more people who will be searching.

And it is due to this void that Dorje Shugden can spread in China, and not only Dorje Shugden but Buddhism in general. China did not promote the other religions as strongly as Buddhism as Buddhism promotes peace and harmony, they even build a huge exhibition hall for Buddhist purposes and held a huge Buddhist convention featuring their choice of the Panchen Lama who led the convention.

It is becoming more and more evident that China needs Buddhism and not the other way round. China did not choose Taoism, Confucianism or any other religion to lead and placate their citizens, but they chose Buddhism. there must be a very strong reason there, no? And coincidentally, Dorje Shugden is promoted very heavily there as well since the Dalai Lama declared that it will shorten his life.

China is one of the world's most populous nations and HHDL is using skillful means to bring Buddhism and Dorje Shugden to China so that more people can reap the benefits of Dorje Shugden. By supporting Dorje Shugden, the Chinese government also helps purity the negative karma they created during the cultural revolution and they will in time be less narrow and more open.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
The Chinese government took the 6 year old boy identified as the reincarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama into "protective custody" as a minor, claiming that HHDL had destroyed the traditional and religious reincarnation system and therefore HHDL's recognition of Gedhun Choeky Nyima as the 11th Panchen Lama was invalid.

If that is the case, then the Chinese government should have been released of their protective custody in 2007 when the boy turned 18 years old and deemed  to an adult, capable of making his own decisions. That did not happen.

No, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima remains a political prisoner of the Chinese government hell bent on destroying the social standing and political influence of the High Lamas in the Tibetan society. And the whereabouts of a few key people involved in the matter, including Chadrel Jampa Thrinley Rinpoche who headed the search party assigned to look for the reincarnation of the 10th Panchen Lama remains unknown. Chadrel Jampa Thrinley Rinpoche was sentenced by the Chinese to serve a 6 year prison sentence for attempting to split the country, and was never heard of since.

It has been decades since China annexed Tibet and embarked on a campaign to eradicate the social and religious structure of Tibet. It doesn't look like they have succeeded.

Under such hostility from the government of China, HHDL has been very skillful in his moves and that has resulted in the spread of Buddhism in China. The master stroke was claiming how Dorje Shugden's practice can harm HH.

Dorje Shugden has spread in China as has Buddhism all around the world. Out of chaos and disorder, Chenrezig has  spread the dharma far and wide.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Great news that the Panchen Lama is well and alive in China. Very good to hear this because there are people out there who are looking for him cos they believe that he is the rightful Panchen Lama and was abducted by China. After his disappearance, the Chinese government has appointed their own Panchen Lama and with this appointment, it has resulted in Buddhism spreading in China. The new Panchen Lama has been accepted by the Chinese people.

However, there are a group of people who still does not believe in the new Panchen Lama. With the appearance of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the this group of people has hope. Maybe it is also political that China wants to get support from the Tibetans.

Be it political or not, I believe that the Panchen Lama lineage is enlightened, just like the Dalai Lama, and could have emanated in both the Panchen Lamas. So, both are also Panchen Lamas and the intent is to spread Buddhism. Great that we have 2 Panchen Lama and the people could choose to believe in whoever they believe in. The bottomline is, Buddhism is spreading greatly in China.

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
This news is clearly politically motivated, recently the tension is high in Tibet due to a series of self-immolation by monks and nuns, the people are fuming with frustration and anger over the suppression by the Chinese government, and since military-style suppression is not the politically correct way to go now, the Chinese government has to try other methods to pacify the Tibetan people, therefore we see a series of propagandistic actions by the Chinese government recently, including Premier Wen Jiabao meeting the Chinese Panchen Lama.

So it is not a coincidence that suddenly the news of the other Panchen Lama, the one appointed by the Dalai Lama, appeared after 17 long years, and at a time where tension is high.

What the Chinese government wants the Tibetans and their symphatizers overseas to believe is that the other Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima is doing fine in China, which means that even being such a politically dangerous person as "the Panchen Lama  appointed  by Dalai Lama" is fine, is being treated kindly by the Chinese, therefore the Chinese is kind, the Chinese government are good people, so please don't feel angry towards the Chinese government.

And it also serves to give a bit of peace of mind to the angry Tibetans and their sympathizers overseas, that at last there is news to ther other Panchen Lama so there is hope, thereby distracting them for the moment from the tension in Tibet.

Definitely a politically crafted move by the Chinese government.

Rihanna

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »

This is a cover up i believe strongly. China has never revealed whereabouts of the REAL XIth Panchen Lama and instead abducted Him and it is a violation of religious freedom and human rights. So far as all the events develops, we have on ly heard one side of the story which is from China's, and China kept on saying the 23 young man does not want to be disturbed and be recognised?? I do not believe that such a high reincarnation would not want to be recognised and uphold the Dharma for the benefit of everyone. We all know what the Chinese government can do...

hope rainbow

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I read this and I wonder: why breaking this news today?
What is the advantage that China has from giving this piece of news today?

I can think of a few:

1. The boy is alive, he has not been emprisonned, nor killed, so China cannot be suspected of such crimes.

2. This young man does not want to be disturbed. This implies that the Dalai lama was wrong and confirmed the wrong boy, for if the Dalai lama was right, then this young man would only want to go back to Dharma.
Of course, the allegations here cannot be verified, for we do not know where the PL is, we have not heard him say these things neither. But the information manipulated can disqualify the Dalai Lama and qualify the China recognized PL.

3. China does not fear the pressure and the media going on about this case, China says: he is alive and does not want to be bothered. In other words, China is saying: stop all these campaigns now, it has no grounding, you're wasting your time.

dondrup

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:54:32 AM »
Unless the real 11th Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima appears to clarify matters as to his abduction, disappearance and ‘reappearance’, no one will know for sure what is happening. China won’t tell us the truth though we wondered why they broke this news about 11th Panchen Lama’s in China with his family.  Perhaps China merely wanted to appease the Tibetans and worldwide supporters’ demand of his release in conjunction with 11th Panchen Lama’s 23rd birthday. 

China is known to not follow the international conventions on human rights and religious freedoms even though they claim to adopt it.  There is nothing much that the Tibetans and the worldwide supporters could do but to continue on the campaigns to demand the release of 11th Panchen Lama.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »
Well I really hope the Chinese Panchen Lama wil study hard and be of great benefit to the Chinese people and the world. If he can take on the mantle of the Panchen Lama why not. If he does bring benefits and bring Buddhism to all the people of China that is 1 billion of beings who will get the BUddha Dharma why not.

If there can be multiple karmapas and if we know about how high lamas can be they can manifest into a few form so why not the Panchen Lama. Well if the 101st Gaden Trisur is starting to engage with the CHinese Panchen Lama perhaps the gaden Trisur does see the potential in this Chinese Panchen Lama ?