Author Topic: Can we bless a mobile phone?  (Read 17329 times)

Klein

Re: Can we bless a mobile phone?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
Yes. We can bless anything we like. I've seen my Guru bless all the gifts he gives to people from vitamins to soft toys to books. I believe that when the recipient receives these blessed gifts, they trigger the positive karmic seeds in their mind stream to open up.

As an ultimate result, they connect to their spirituality and not necessarily Buddhism. For blessed vitamins and medication, I believe it opens up the karmic seeds for the recipient's body to recover faster and have a healthy body

In some cases, the blessed items protect the person from harm and spirit disturbances.

There are many reasons for blessing an item. So any item can be blessed.;

jeremyg

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
Coming away from the main subject a little, I think blessings are a great way to introduce people to religion for further benefit in the future. I mean after all who doesn't want something that is blessed. Many people believe in the supernatural and want protection, so a great way to do this is try blessing. After they get something blessed, they will want to learn more about the religion. It plants seeds of dharma, and the want to learn more. So in conclusion it is a great way, with no commitment to bring people closer to the dharma.

Now coming back to the mobile phone. For me i see little purpose in blessing a mobile phone, I feel that is is just an act to make money in most cases. Forgive me if this is harsh. But that is the only reason I see. If we took the example of a car, then I can see a bigger reason, because with cars accidents are likely to happen, thus the blessing can reduce the chance of an accident. But with a mobile phone I can't see much of a reason. Having said that I believe that the arguments previously listed are valid.

DSFriend

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
Blessing of objects by the church dates way back during the agricultural period.

Check out this article :  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242566/Vicar-gives-high-tech-blessing-mobile-phones-laptops-BlackBerries.html

A vicar has blessed the mobile phones and laptops of city workers in a church ceremony.
The Rev Canon David Parrott blessed a pile of laptops and smart phones on the altar of London's 17th-century St Lawrence Jewry church.
The ritual was an effort to remind the capital's busy office workers that God's grace can reach them in many ways, he said.

Food is blessed and offered up by christians before meals. It is again serves to remind them of where all the source of good/grace comes from.

I think just about anything can be blessed.

In general, here's what i've observed. Blessing serves as :

- reminder to the devotee to cultivate gratefulness/thankfullness towards Buddha/God/Master/being of worship

- reminder to devotee of the good and protective qualities towards Buddha/God/being of worship

- object is imbued with special powers in their favor

Expectation towards receiving blessings :

-  we have external help from higher powered beings/source towards what we can't normally do for ourselves

- invoke and uncover inner/internal qualities hidden within ourselves

just some thoughts..

ratanasutra

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
Ummm..very interesting to know about this..

Yes, objects can be blessed and so why not handphone.. i just wondering what is the thought behind it.. may be because now a day most of people have mobile phone and it always keep near by us so its good to have blessed items with us all the time, isn't it..

one time i saw the high lama gave the student a semi-precious stone for student to make as a ring to wear it for protection... i felt it's very skilful way of a high lama in this case.

Tenzin K

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
Yes, it can be bless.

My opinion, the object blessed is to benefit the users. Just like blessing houses or vehicle, it’s for the people’s mind that in the house and the people using the vehicle.

The blessing able to help us to minimize the severity of the impact of the negative incident due to our negative karma ripening. In this case, it is the mobile phone. It may bless the user using the phone for good motivation and whatever conversation if for the benefits of people rather than idle chatter or for negative reason. 

biggyboy

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
Why not to even bless a mobile phone?  In my opinion, anything can be blessed for the benefit of one's mind in this case the person who uses the mobile phone.  At least by the mere blessing, planted a karmic seed for that person to connect with a higher being in this case a Guru or a Teacher.  He may not connect nor taken faith straightaway.  At the very least, subconsciously he knew the fact it is from a spiritual Guru.  With this blessing, this will invoke the Buddha nature of that person.  Hence, blessing the person's mind.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
Yes, any object can be blessed.

Who are we blessing ? The object or the user of the 'blessed' object ?

It is quite obvious that blessing is dependent on the user's mind. If the user believes in blessing, wishes to be blessed and upon receiving the blessed object feels he has been blessed then he has been blessed  :)

The receipient's mind will be more at ease, calm . With a peaceful mind, he can see things clearer and handle situations with composure + wisdom.

pgdharma

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
I don't see why we can't bless a mobile phone. I have seen many lamas even my Guru blessing gifts like books, soft cuddly toys to jewelries to name a few before giving to his students. If blessing a car protects from accidents, blessing a house protects from calamities, break ins and thefts, brings peace and harmony in the family then blessing a mobile phone protects from getting stolen. Also because its been blessed we will take care of it better so that it will not be misplaced and get lost. In this modern age, most of us will upload a lot of things including holy images into the mobile phone and since we carry it near us, it acts as a protection and blessings.