Author Topic: First Gay Buddhist Wedding In Taiwan  (Read 11609 times)

Big Uncle

First Gay Buddhist Wedding In Taiwan
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
Found this interesting article about the first gay(lesbian) Buddhist marriage in Taiwan. How progressive! It is nice to hear about how inclusive Buddhism is and how much freedom it allows its practitioners. It's amazing Buddha never said anything about homosexuality but the spirit of his teachings dictated acceptance and benefitting each other even within a homosexual relationship. It's just beautiful.

(taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/first-gay-buddhist-wedding_n_1659264.html?utm_hp_ref=religion )

A devoutly Buddhist, lesbian couple will officially wed next month in Taiwan reports the Taipei Times.

30-year old Fish Huang and her partner will be the first gay couple to hold a traditional Buddhist wedding in Taiwan. The couple have been together for 7 years and plan to tie the knot at a Buddhist altar in Taoyuan County on Aug. 11.

“We are not only doing it for ourselves, but also for other gays and lesbians,” Fish Huang told Taipei Times in a telephone interview.

According to Towelrod, Huang hadn't thought of getting married until she was inspired by a film which showed the difficulties faced by gay partners who are denied spousal benefits.

As a result the couple decided a traditional Buddhist wedding was important for them.

“It is meaningful to us that our wedding can give hope to other homosexuals and help heterosexuals understand how Buddhism views sexuality,” Huang told Taipei Times.

However, to Huang's surprise, not all their friends supported the decision.

“They are not sure if it would break their vows and were very anxious,” Huang told Taipei Times.

But a local Buddhist master supported Huang's decision not only to wed, but to have the wedding as per traditional Buddhist standards. Buddhist master Shih Chao-hwei (???), professor at Hsuan Chuang University, said homosexuality is not prohibited in Buddhist teachings.

“It’s difficult enough to maintain a relationship ... how could you be so stingy as to begrudge a couple for wanting to get married, regardless of their sexual orientation,” the professor said in a telephone interview with Taipei Times.

Larry Yang, gay Buddhist meditation teacher, agrees with this principle citing that an intimate relationship, regardless of sexual orientation, "is a door into spiritual freedom."

According to Taipei Times the brides will wear white wedding dresses and the wedding will consist of blessings and prayers by monks and nuns and lectures by Buddhist monks on marriage and its meaning.

Positive Change

Re: First Gay Buddhist Wedding In Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
Much has been said about homosexuality with regards to Buddhism in the threads below:

1. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1119.0
2. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1916.0

What I am actually rather astonished about is that in this day and age, this so called taboo is still grabbing the headlines so to speak. Is there not more pressing issues than a person's mere sexual preference? However it is just not an issue of mere sexual preference because if it were heterosexuality would be given similar if not more emphasis but it is not. Take for example, the issue of the Dorje Shugden ban should be given more precedence but it is not. Where do our priority as a society on a whole lie?

Not to say the rights of homosexuals are not important... it should be! In fact it should NOT be an issue at all to begin with. Therein lies the problem. I found an interesting article here which discusses this very topic in relation to Buddhism:

Buddhism and Homosexuality

According to the ancient Indian understanding, homosexuals were thought of simply as being 'the third nature' (tritiya prakti), rather than as perverted, deviant or sick. With its emphasis on psychology and cause and effect, Buddhism judges acts, including sexual acts, primarily by the intention (cetana) behind them and the effect they have.

We will now briefly examine the various objections to homosexuality and give Buddhist rebuttals to them. The most common Christian and Muslim objection to homosexuality is that it is unnatural and "goes against the order of nature". There seems to be little evidence for this. Miriam Rothschild, the eminent biologist who played a crucial role in the fight to decriminalize homosexuality in Britain, pointed out at the time that homosexual behaviour has been observed in almost every known species of animal. Secondly, it could be argued that while the biological function of sex is reproduction, most sexual activity today is not for reproduction, but for recreation and emotional fulfillment, and that this too is a legitimate function of sex.

Theravada Buddhist countries like Sri Lanka and Burma had no legal statutes against homosexuality between consenting adults until the colonial era when they were introduced by the British. Thailand, which had no colonial experience, still has no such laws. This had led some Western homosexuals to believe that homosexuality is quite accepted in Buddhist countries of South and South-east Asia. This is certainly not true. In such countries, when homosexuals are thought of at all, it is more likely to be in a good-humored way or with a degree of pity. Certainly the loathing, fear and hatred that the Western homosexual has so often had to endure is absent and this is due, to a very large degree, Buddhism's humane and tolerant influence. This has not always been the case though as the Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhism has had a different view on homosexuality.

At a press conference in 1997 the Dalai Lama said; 'From a Buddhist point of view (lesbian and gay sex), is generally considered sexual misconduct.' As soon as he realized what he had done he immediately back-peddled. He called a meeting with gay and lesbian representatives, during which he expressed the 'willingness to consider the possibility that some of the teachings may be specific to a particular cultural and historic context'.

The truth is that while the Dalai Lama is one of the kindest people imaginable, he is also a very traditional Tibetan in many ways – and traditional Tibetan culture, like most cultures, has very skewed and confused ideas about homosexuality. Tibetan Buddhism does not derive its ideas about homosexuality from the earliest teachings of the Buddha but from Mahayana sutras and sastras, the earliest of which dates from approximately 500 year after the Buddha. By this time Indian Buddhists were being influenced by various popular Indian notions and incorporating them into their understanding of the Dhamma; sometimes with not very happy results. One such notion was the idea that sexual acts could be judged right or wrong depending on 'place, person and orifice.'

Exactly how does the law of karma distinguish one orifice from another? Other problems arise when we realize that many male homosexuals practice intercural sex and mutual masturbation rather than penetrative sex. And exactly which sexual organ do lesbians use to penetrate the vagina of their partner? The Dalai Lama is also reported to have said that he had difficulty imagining the mechanics of homosexual sex, saying that nature had arranged male and female organs 'in such a manner that is very suitable... same-sex organs cannot manage well.'

With all due respect to the Dalai Lama, and I do have the highest respect for him, this statement shows both his ignorance and naivety concerning sex, and I might add, of some aspects of the Dharma as well. What on earth have Buddhist ethical judgments got to do with two body-parts fitting together 'properly' or not? I often clean my ear with my finger despite it not fitting into my ear canal very well. Does this mean I make negative karma every time I clean my ear?

bambi

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
As mentioned before, we shouldn't judge gays in any way as I am sure they did not choose to be that way and if it is love that they have found and want to take more responsibilities, why not? They are just humans like all of us. Even the king of Cambodia support them.

Interesting post. Found a video on a teaching about gay marriage.

Gay Buddhism. Why Not? by Ajahn Brahm

Gay Marriage, Why Not?

Cambodian king backs gay marriage

King Sihanouk said he respected gays and lesbians
Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanouk has shown that advancing years are no barrier to an open mind and liberal attitude.
After watching television images of gay marriages in San Francisco, the 81-year-old monarch has decided that single sex weddings should be allowed in Cambodia too.

He expressed his views in a hand written message on his website which has proved extremely popular in Cambodia.

The king said that as a "liberal democracy", Cambodia should allow "marriage between man and man... or between woman and woman."

He said he had respect for homosexual and lesbians and said they were as they were because God loved a "wide range of tastes."

Sihanouk, who is currently in Beijing for medical treatment, also said that transvestites should be "accepted and well-treated in our national community."

Such views are not widespread in Cambodia, but the king is hugely revered, although he is a constitutional monarch and has no executive powers.

San Francisco has issued more than 2,800 marriage licences to gay couples in the past week amid a growing debate in the US over whether such unions should be allowed.

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
Brilliant to know that Buddhism today are changing or rather evolving to embrace the difference in society today. We need to integrate and repackage the teachings to suit people's mind today instead of being rigid and ardent about the application of Buddha's teachings ought to be while still maintaining the essence of Dharma and spreading

It has not been mentioned in any scriptures that lay people cannot be attracted to the same sex, only thing ever mentioned was that in the Vinaya (regulations for Buddhist monks), the Buddha states that those who openly expressed cross-gender features or strong homosexual desires and actions may not become a monk. Note that just having homosexual desires eliminates the person from the possibility of being a Buddhist monk.

So I suppose if you are going to become a monk, hence it is a NO NO... this is okay to me. But if ur not.... I really do not see what's the big fuss about. I think most importantly above sex is the partnership and love of two people uniting. And I guess if we really want to dig deep, by right even marriage between heterosexuals are considered bad karma... cos it increases attachment... so nothing to do with one being straight or gay... the bad karma is more about the attachment to something/someone that is what causes karma to be negative or positive. Boils down to karma again :)

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
I am not surprised by this news. Taiwan repealed their ban on conscripting gay people into the military in 2002.

Also, Master Hsing Yun, a Chinese Buddhist monk and the founder of the *Fo Guang Shan Buddhist order as well as the affiliated Buddha's Light International Association, one of the largest international Buddhist organisations in Taiwan and in the Buddhist world said this below:

Marriage is an institution that reflects the values of the society that supports it. If the people of a society no longer believe that it is important to be married, then there is no reason why they cannot change the institution of marriage.

Marriage is a custom. Customs can always be changed. We can find the same core point in this question as we have in others—the ultimate truth of the matter is that individuals can and should decide for themselves what is right. As long as they are not violating others or breaking the laws of the society in which they are living, then they are free to do what they believe is right. It is not for me or anyone else to tell them that they must get married if they want to live together. That is their choice and their choice alone.

The same analysis can be applied to homosexuality. People often ask me what I think about homosexuality. They wonder, is it right, is it wrong? The answer is, it is neither right nor wrong. It is just something that people do. If people are not harming each other, their private lives are their own business; we should be tolerant of them and not reject them.

However, it will still take some time for the world to fully accept homosexuality. All of us must learn to tolerate the behavior of others. Just as we hope to expand our minds to include all of the universe, so we should also seek to expand our minds to include all of the many forms of human behavior.

Tolerance is a form of generosity and it is a form of wisdom. There is nothing anywhere in the Dharma that should ever lead anyone to become intolerant. Our goal as Buddhists is to learn to accept all kinds of people and to help all kinds of people discover the wisdom of the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha.
—Hsing Yun, Buddhism Pure and Simple, pp. 137–138

*Fo Guang Shan has temples and organisations established in 173 countries throughout the world, and now encompasses more than 3,500 monastics.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
This is a positive news and I am sure there would be many more gay Buddhist weddings all over the world following this. As a Buddhist, we are taught not judge or put a label on anyone. So, whether a person is straight or gay, we must treat them as a human being. I like what Master Hsing Yun said about tolerance being a form of generosity and wisdom. Indeed, if two people are not harming each other, why should we reject them based on their sexual orientation?

Klein

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
Taiwan is setting a good example to other countries and religions to show tolerance and acceptance. As Master Hsing Yun explains:

"The same analysis can be applied to homosexuality. People often ask me what I think about homosexuality. They wonder, is it right, is it wrong? The answer is, it is neither right nor wrong. It is just something that people do. If people are not harming each other, their private lives are their own business; we should be tolerant of them and not reject them.

However, it will still take some time for the world to fully accept homosexuality. All of us must learn to tolerate the behavior of others. Just as we hope to expand our minds to include all of the universe, so we should also seek to expand our minds to include all of the many forms of human behavior.

Tolerance is a form of generosity and it is a form of wisdom. There is nothing anywhere in the Dharma that should ever lead anyone to become intolerant. Our goal as Buddhists is to learn to accept all kinds of people and to help all kinds of people discover the wisdom of the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha."

As my Lama also explains, desire is desire. Whether you choose to have sex with the opposite sex or same sex, it doesn't matter as long as it's with consenting adults. So the issue is desire and not the object of desire in this case. We need to eventually renounce desire if we want to gain some sort of attainments. Desire is an attachment and is the basis of samsara.

On a last note, can you imagine if you were discriminated just because you prefer to eat beef instead of chicken?

diamond girl

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

Although in this thread the context is about gay/lesbian relationships, marriages and orientation, I truly believe that this quote from Hsing Yun is universal. Tolerance is an important ingredient to peace among people. How would the world be a place of peace and harmony if there is no tolerance? How much unhappiness have we suffered in our lives because we did not tolerate something/someone OR someone did not tolerate something with us? Just take a moment and swallow our need to be right, have the compassion to see another person's perspective and we will start having tolerance.

I have no issues with gay/lesbian people, in fact many of my closest friends are gay/lesbian. Like what Positive Change said, "What I am actually rather astonished about is that in this day and age, this so called taboo is still grabbing the headlines so to speak." This is so true. Isn't there more critical issues to talk about? Like how to lift the Ban against Dorje Shugden?

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:28:33 AM »
To be honest, I did not like about homosexuality and even discriminated them. I used to avoid and do not talk to the person anymore after getting to know their sexual preference. All that has changed now after I am into Buddhism, the acceptance is there now that I feel its the mind that is in love and the should never be discrimination just because they are born to be attracted to the same gender.

Positive Change

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
Does being gay or a homosexual define who one is as a Buddhist? Surely not right. In fact does being gay or a homosexual automatically makes the person guilty of sexual misconduct?

Being gay or a homosexual defines one as being attracted to the same gender. The sexual nature that comes with it is human in nature and not gender biased. I know personally homosexual couples that do not engage in sexual misconduct. How and why you might ask? Well they just do no have sex and celibate, plain and simple.

Hence the automatic equation of being gay or homosexual to sexual misconduct is an assumption and wrong! There are even heterosexual couples out there that engage in what is deemed as sexual misconduct through the very sexual acts that "define" homosexuals. Having said that, there are also homosexuals of female gender (lesbians). What then? Since they are of an obvious anatomical difference and sexual misconduct does call upon very specific inappropriate sexual acts that so call violate the body, are lesbians then considered ok?

Generalizations often give rise to such problems hence we have to be careful to not pigeon hole anyone and just keep basic Buddhist principles in mind before we start to assume or judge.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
Two women plan to tie the knot next month in Taiwan’s first same-sex Buddhist wedding, as gay and lesbian groups push to make the island the first society in Asia to legalise gay marriage

Fish Huang and her partner You Ya-ting, both 30, will receive their blessings from Master Shih Chao-hui at a Buddhist monastery in north Taiwan’s Taoyuan county on August 11.

“We decided to get married last year,” Huang told AFP Wednesday. “After being together for six years, we feel we need to make a life-long commitment to each other.”

As a group of Buddhist monks and nuns chant sutras, the couple, both wearing white gowns, will declare their love for each other in a ceremony expected to be witnessed by dozens of close friends.

Huang, a social worker at a Buddhist cultural foundation, said her mother had promised to attend the event but her father remained undecided.

“My father likes Ya-ting, and he says the marriage will make him feel like he has one more daughter,” Huang said.

“Still, time and again, he has voiced his hope that I marry a man… In fact, my decision to marry Ya-ting is also meant to make him drop the thought.”

You’s parents are still reluctant to agree to the planned marriage even though it will have no legal force, Huang said.

Taiwan is one of the most culturally liberal societies in East Asia, and gay and lesbian groups have been urging the government for years to make same-sex marriage legal.

In an event aimed at creating awareness about the issue, about 80 lesbian couples tied the knot in August last year in Taiwan’s biggest same-sex wedding party, attracting about 1,000 friends, relatives and curious onlookers.

The island’s cabinet in 2003 drafted a controversial bill to legalise same-sex marriages and allow homosexual couples to adopt children.

However, President Ma Ying-jeou has said public consensus was needed before the government can move ahead with the law.

Master Shih Chao-hui, who will perform the ceremony and is seen as a liberal on social issues, said her act would reflect the spirit of Buddhism.

“I would like stand up to give blessings to the couple because I hope my step can embody the spirit of Buddhism spreading compassion throughout the world,” said Shih, who is also a professor at Buddhist Hsuan Chuang University.

“As a matter of fact, Buddhist teachings do not discriminate against gays and lesbians and do not consider human desires as a sin although they do call for restraint.”

However, there is no consensus among Taiwanese Buddhist clerics about the issue, as reflected in the words of Master Huei Kai, a professor at Fo Guang University in the south Taiwan’s Kaohsiung city.

“True, no ancient Buddhism scriptures mention gays, but that does not necessarily mean that Buddhism agrees to them,” he told the United Daily News, a Taipei-based newspaper.

Given lingering resistance, Taiwan LGBT Family Rights Advocacy, a Taipei-based non-government group that is organising the upcoming ceremony, said Master Shih Chao-hui’s involvement was significant.

“As a respected Buddhist master, her move may somewhat change the biased attitude of lots of people,” Wu Shao-wen of the rights group said.

hope rainbow

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
Buddhism simply follows the societal changes, for as long as it does not break the 10 non-virtuous actions.

I do not think that this means that buddhism changed its view towards homosexuality or that buddhism campaigns for gay rights.

homosexuality, heterosexuality, xyzsexuality is always sexuality and buddhism has never changed its view towards sexuality.

Buddhism also does not register marriages, at most buddhism may officiate a blessing.
For marriage is relevant to a sociatal organisation that is more relevant to samsara than to the practice of Buddhism. This is a unique characteristic of the Buddhist religion compared to other religions.

so_003

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
This is a good news. Gay or les is a person choice. No one have the rights to discriminate any. These days there are many same sex marriage that we many not know off and is just not done openly due to how the general public will view them. Thank you for sharing the info.