Author Topic: indifference and equanimity  (Read 13172 times)

vajrastorm

Re: indifference and equanimity
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
"Indifference", as has been agreed upon, arises out of lack of care or concern.

"Equanimity", on the other hand means an equal care and concern for every other being.When we have equanimity, we treasure every being as equally precious. There is no separation of "I"  and "others" .We recognize that each and every being equally desires happiness and does not wanting suffering.With equanimity, there is no more labeling and categorizing of people(for instance) as 'friends', 'enemies ' and 'stranger'. Labelling become meaningless, when in cyclic existence, enemies and even strangers, have been our friends in a previous life.When we have equanimity, we will not have hatred, attachment or indifference. Yes, equanimity arises from 'wisdom' ,and leads to peace

We develop equanimity, when we realize that all beings have been our mothers before. In 'Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand'(p.524), it is established, by logic, that "since we have had more rebirths than there are sentient beings, not only must they have been your mother, but also every single one must have been your mother in human rebirths. Thus it is reasonable to conclude that  all beings have truly been your mother".

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:07 AM »
Indifference is based on personal ego and is one of the 2 obscurations preventing Nirvana. It is based on the "Self of the individual". It acknowledges the existence of others but places oneself as the most important. So it is the manifestation of the "worst of the worse" ego the self. Equanimity is on the basis of selflessness and that others are more important. From the point of view of others, the loved ones, the enemies and the strangers are  equal; hence the word "equanimity".

So, indifference and equanimity are actually opposites.

Positive Change

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
[...]
It is not that we should think that all sentient beings could have been our mothers.
It is that all sentient beings HAVE been our mother.
And not once but countless times.

The logic is here:

We have been wandering in samsara since beginingless time.

Thus we have been taking rebirth since beginning-less time.

Thus there cannot be a being that has not been our mother before.

Thus all beings have been my mother before and countless times.

So, this is not a matter of making-believe that sentient may have been our mothers before, this is facing the reality that all sentient beings have been our mothers before.

I find this hard to contemplate, have all sentient beings been my mother before, even an ant or an earth worm?
This is pretty hard to absorb...
Thus the love that I have for my mother now, I once had it, and several times, for every being that I encounter in my life?
I think I'll pass on KFC today and will just eat vegetables for a day... and will think about this!

Dear BF,

WE can abstain from eating meat for various reasons, some do it because they are convinced that it helps with their health, some do it because they find it unacceptable to abuse animals, some do it because they can recognize the link that is between us all, between all beings.

The link is not only that all beings have been our mothers countless times, it is that they all have been our sons and daughters too, that we have embraced them with wrapping and protecting love, that we would have given our lives for them, that we would have sacrificed anything to bring a smile to their faces, that we cared so much for them that our own desires were extinguished by the power of our love and compassion.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful that the love we are capable of could extend to all beings without any agenda, without expecting anything in return but simply because we care for all without discrimination and equally (with EQUANIMITY thus –and not INDIFFERENCE!).

Then, of course, one consequence is that we would stop indulging in the taste of their flesh.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
What is actually the difference between indifference and equanimity.
Equanimity is described in the lamrim as being free from bias and anger,
but indifference also is free from bias and anger or else it would not be indifference. Right?
So there must be something more to equanimity.
What is it?
Thank you

Very often we get mistaken to the ''method'' and ''cause'' behind indifference and equanimity.  This article is a great learning for us not to be mistaken.