Author Topic: Final Message of Jamphel Yeshi Before Self-Immolation  (Read 8409 times)

sonamdhargey

Final Message of Jamphel Yeshi Before Self-Immolation
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »
Jamphel Yeshi, who immolated himself on Monday in New Delhi and died on Wednesday, left a letter which seems to be an attempt to explain his actions.  The hand-written letter, dated March 16, 2012, was found in the room where Mr. Yeshi stayed in India’s capital, and was translated by Bhuchung D. Sonam.

He said in the letter: Freedom is the basis of happiness for all living beings. Without freedom, six million Tibetans are like a butter lamp in the wind, without direction. My fellow Tibetans from Three Provinces, it is clear to us all that if we unitedly put our strength together, there will be result. So, don’t be disheartened.

Read more here: https://sites.google.com/site/tibetanpoliticalreview/articles/finalmessageofjamphelyeshibeforeself-immolation

dondrup

Re: Final Message of Jamphel Yeshi Before Self-Immolation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
We can sympathise with the plights of the Tibetans who had lost their country to China and now having to settle down in other foreign countries.  What baffles me is that how would self-immolation help bring back Tibetans’ independence from China?  So many immolations and sacrifices had been made by Tibetans and yet China and the World had not even responded with the demands of the Tibetans.  Why persist with this self-immolation act which is totally against the virtue of non-killing?  The biggest irony is that Tibetans being Buddhists should have realised if not understood what impermanence is.  Freedom from China is not the true freedom.  Freedom from samsara is the true freedom!  If Tibetans cannot accept their karma, they cannot be practising Buddhism because karma is the backbone of Buddhism!  Please let go and move on and focus on accomplishing the happiness of future lives than the present lives!

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »
There are only few ways to get the media's attention. I guess that the Tibetans chose the fastest way to get themselves onto the papers, in order to highlight their cause.

I am not for self-immolation, and it may even go to show that the average Tibetan are not very well-learned in Buddhism. A life is a life, and this man seemed blessed with the 18 opportune conditions... what a waste of a precious human life. However, considering how this fanatical act is similar to those displayed by fanatical Muslims - it may be better to self-immolate than to immolate others. Sick logic.

Those who have thus far self-immolated, killing themselves may have had a backlash effect (karmically, and for their other fellow Tibetans). I wouldn't be surprised, if the Chinese laugh it off saying that they don't have to kill them as they're already doing it themselves. Another sick possibility.

It may prove to be more effective to study hard and be effective legislative changers/makers. Or do an Au Sang Suu Kyi, inspire change through morally sound actions. It provides slow, but steady results.

Tibetans gotta learn to be more skilful to get attention, it's reflecting quite badly on them at the moment.

brian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:07 AM »
Self immolation is not a good idea at all because the human life is precious and should not be wasted in such a way. I know it is very very noble to have sacrificed his own life for the other fellow Tibetans but this is also giving bad image to the eyes of the world and sending out the wrong messages thinking Tibetans are extremists(!) Which is very wrong. Even after numerous self immolation cases now, they still have not managed to make the sacrifice count worth matching as their warrior like act have fallen to death ears. China haven't came out and said anything concrete about this and I am not sure when will (or will it ever) be the day that China will return the freedom of Tibet.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
Self-immolation as a political statement was used by a Vietnamese monk a long time and he was amazing in the fact that he stayed in meditational posture as he was burnt alive. Here's a very interesting article that picked off from the net. :-

A Brief History of Self-Immolation
By Josh Sanburn     Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011

MALCOLM BROWNE / AP
Quang Duc, a Buddhist monk, burns himself to death on a Saigon street June 11, 1963 to protest alleged persecution of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government.

Follow @TIME
When Mohamed Bouazizi set himself alight on Dec. 17, he sparked flames far greater than the ones that would ultimately kill him. The Tunisian man, an unemployed college graduate with children to feed, had tried finding work hawking vegetables, but was thwarted by police, who confiscated his cart. So in a grisly act of protest and anguish, Bouazizi doused himself in gasoline and set himself ablaze.

The act of self-immolation not only triggered the current political crisis in Tunisia, which ousted the president Jan. 14 and has led to a complicated political impasse. It also inspired copycat self-immolations across North Africa, who attempted this very sensational form of suicide as statements of their own desperation and frustration with the authoritarian regimes in their countries. The latest count of protesters who have set themselves on fire in North Africa is up to eight, with four in Algeria, two in Egypt and one in Mauritania, as well as Bouazizi's act in Tunisia.

(Read about self-immolation in Afghanistan.)
Legends of people of committing the act of self-immolation date back centuries. The first instance is said to come from Sati, one of the wives of the Hindu god Shiva. According to myths, she married against her father's wishes and then burned herself to death after her father insulted her husband. This story is often linked to the practice of sati, which was a custom in some parts of India where a widow would burn herself on the funeral pyre of her dead husband. The practice was outlawed in India in 1829. History through the ages in various parts of the world is lined with tales of female spouses, consorts and concubines being consigned to the flames, often against their will, to join some deceased warrior king or chieftain.

The first and most famous moment of self-immolation as agitprop was that of Thich Quang Duc in 1963. Under the rule of Ngo Dinh Diem, South Vietnam largely advanced the agenda of the country's Catholic minority and discriminated against Buddhist monks. In one of the most dramatic instances of individual protest, Quang Duc doused himself in gasoline in the middle of a Saigon street and lit himself ablaze.

(Watch a video about Buddhist monks in war and protest.)
Journalist David Halberstam, who witnessed the monk's self-immolation and won a Pultizer Prize for his war stories, remembered the moment in one of his books, The Making of a Quagmire: "Flames were coming form a human being; his body was slowly withering and shriveling up, his head blackening and charring. In the air was the smell of burning flesh. ... Behind me I could hear the sobbing of the Vietnamese who were now gathering. I was too shocked to cry, too confused to take notes or ask questions, too bewildered to even think."

Afterward, four more monks and a nun set themselves ablaze protesting Diem before his regime finally fell in 1963. Rather suddenly, setting oneself on fire became a political act. As the American presence increased in Vietnam in the mid- to late 1960s, more and more monks committed self-immolation, including thirteen in one week. It even took place in the U.S., right outside the Pentagon, when Norman Morrison, an American Quaker burned himself to death while clinging onto his child as a mark of his rejection of the Vietnam War. (His child survived, and Morrison was revered in Vietnam for his purported martyrdom.)

The grim tactic has spread across the globe: Czechoslovaks did it to protest the Soviet invasion in 1968; five Indian students did it to protest job quotas in 1990; a Tibetan monk did it to protest the Indian police stopping an anti-Chinese hunger strike in 1998; Kurds did it to protest Turkey in 1999; outlawed Falun Gong practitioners did it in Tiananmen Square in 2009, at least according to authorities in Beijing.

Only within the last few weeks have such acts of self-immolation caught on in North Africa. They seem to all come out of moments of urgency and helplessness. And sometimes they light fires in the minds of countless others in their midst.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2043123,00.html

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
I dont really think that self immolation helps with the Tibetan cause or whatever they hope to achieve with it because it will not work and it has not worked so far. Nobody has been touched enough to say that they will help CTA out of the mess they brought themselves into. The Tibetans got what they deserved for desecrating the Dharma such as murdering high lamas and banning their incarnations so they had their land taken away from them. Self immolation will only make china more angry against them, so the best thing they can do is stop this nonsense and instead focus on getting along with China.

Tenzin K

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
I total agree with dondrup!

Jamphel  Yeshi mentioned so many times on ‘freedom’ but the real and true freedom is to let go what you demand from ‘freedom’. 

The practice of ‘freedom’ is through the realization and our action to let go in order to gain it not to chase for it. To sacrifices in order to be able to benefits others is virtue acts but I would not agree with Jamphel Yeshi act by burning himself to send the message to the world. If everybody burn themselves how does it shows that this act spiritually benefiting others? In fact it create fear to others  and I can’t understand the rational of it or the connection to the dharma value of compassion and wisdom.

If it’s a spiritual act for spiritual reason let practice it spiritually with great compassion and kindness by absorbing the pain for others in order to benefit others.   

Klein

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
I total agree with dondrup!

Jamphel  Yeshi mentioned so many times on ‘freedom’ but the real and true freedom is to let go what you demand from ‘freedom’. 

The practice of ‘freedom’ is through the realization and our action to let go in order to gain it not to chase for it. To sacrifices in order to be able to benefits others is virtue acts but I would not agree with Jamphel Yeshi act by burning himself to send the message to the world. If everybody burn themselves how does it shows that this act spiritually benefiting others? In fact it create fear to others  and I can’t understand the rational of it or the connection to the dharma value of compassion and wisdom.

If it’s a spiritual act for spiritual reason let practice it spiritually with great compassion and kindness by absorbing the pain for others in order to benefit others.

I like what you wrote in your last sentence. If Jamphel Yeshe really wanted true freedom, he would have endured the sufferings  and absorb the pain for others. Freecom is in the mind.

I don't agree with his act of self immolation. Any act of demonstration should be done peacefully. Killing oneself will create the karma to be in hell. Being Buddhist, he should know better.

Anyway,  I doubt China would bat an eye. With more than a billion citizens in the country, 80 people dying is far from significant to them. Furthermore, if Tibetans do get  their independence, is CTA ready to govern their country?  CTA  can't even manage their  people in exile, let alone manage the entire Tibet. The Tibetans are really asking for more trouble.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »
It is such a tragedy that people are driven by such mental anguish that they do not see any solution other than suicide. If Jamphel Yeshi's self immolation was meant to be a political statement then I can understand although I do not agree, with his actions. But if his suicide was a means for him to find freedom then he made a horrible mistake. To be free from one political master does not free one from samsara and suffering. In samsara, every single life is like a butter lamp flickering in the wind and it is only a matter of time before that lamp is snuffed out. Killing himself may not earn him freedom from samsara and may even have guaranteed his return to a life of even greater enslavement.

Freedom is a state of mind and a person can be living in a totally democratic country where one can be free to do just about anything and yet be enslaved by own's own thoughts, desire and attachment.

Still, it is not right for me to pass judgement on someone who is a least prepared to give his life for something he believes in.

I feel that the CTA must now pull out all stops and sincerely and realistically engage with the Chinese to seek the return of their homeland to the Tibetans. I also feel strongly that if all Tibetans feel so strongly about having their freedom restored to them, they must also restore the freedom to those amongst them whom they have robbed of the freedom to practice a belief.

diablo1974

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Its a tragedy and sad to see many tibetans immolatate themselves for their country freedom. I would like the tibetans to ponder properly even if there are hundreds or thousands commiting suicide for the sake of independene..frankly, do u think china will budge and give in to ur requests. I personally do not think so....so as an outsider i would besseech tibetans to stop committing suidcide and stop independence but rather spend your lives benefitting others. 

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
Just 9 hours ago, the 92nd Tibetan self-immolated... I still echo the same opinions from my previous post. Still extremely bewildered at how a monk thinks it's ok to self-immolate.

"Lobsang Gendun, a 29-year-old Tibetan monk self-immolated in Golog Pema Dzong at around 7:45 pm (local time). He succumbed to his injuries at the site of his protest.

Tsangyang Gyatso, an exiled Tibetan told Phayul that Lobsang Gendun was a monk at the Penag Kadak Troedreling Monastery in Seley Thang region of Golog Pema Dzong.

“According to eyewitnesses, Lobsang Gendun had his hands clasped in prayers as he raised slogans while engulfed in flames,” Tsangyang said. “He walked a few steps towards a busy road intersection and then fell to the ground.”"

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2012/12/92nd-tibetan-self-immolation-reported/

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:11 AM »
To the Tibetans and CTA, self immolation is more of a political statement, more than anything. It represents their desperation for their homeland. Actually, self immolation is the easier way because then they wont have to work hard to be recognized by China and actually prove to be a civilized nationality of people. All the self immolators could have worked hard in their respective communities and gain China's recognition and then serve their communities as they would and give them the Tibetan governance they so desire but they did not.

This is what I feel about all the self immolations anyway.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
Just 9 hours ago, the 92nd Tibetan self-immolated... I still echo the same opinions from my previous post. Still extremely bewildered at how a monk thinks it's ok to self-immolate.

"Lobsang Gendun, a 29-year-old Tibetan monk self-immolated in Golog Pema Dzong at around 7:45 pm (local time). He succumbed to his injuries at the site of his protest.

Tsangyang Gyatso, an exiled Tibetan told Phayul that Lobsang Gendun was a monk at the Penag Kadak Troedreling Monastery in Seley Thang region of Golog Pema Dzong.

“According to eyewitnesses, Lobsang Gendun had his hands clasped in prayers as he raised slogans while engulfed in flames,” Tsangyang said. “He walked a few steps towards a busy road intersection and then fell to the ground.”"

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2012/12/92nd-tibetan-self-immolation-reported/

It is really sad to see that Tibetans are sefl-immolating themselves all this time to fight for the freedom of their country. Isn't there a better way do fight for freedom? History has shown us that there are  better ways like what Gandhi did for the the independence of India and more recently, Aung San Suu Kyi for the independence of Myanmar.  However, does the CTA have the courage and persistency to seek their independence from China and all Tibetans unite? As of now, the Tibetans are not even united because of the Dorje Shugden issue. The Tibetan nation is separated into two groups i.e. Dorje Shugden practitioners and Non-Doeje Shugden practitioners. With CTA not doing anything with the ban, either lifting the ban or even showing signs of accepting Dorje Shugden practioners, there will not be a united Tibet. So, how to fight for independence?

We all know that China will not let go of Tibet simply because they believe that Tibet is part of China. And China has developed Tibet so much like how they have developed their other cities. They have also revived Tibetan culture in China, recently with the completion of restoration of the Tibetan Buddhism hall in Forbidden City. How could anyone not like the developments brought by China to Tibet?

Only those TIbetans who do not live in China are protesting and self immolating. They are fighting fora a cause which is not leading them anywhere. the 92 lives are wasted just like that because it did not make a slight dent in China's policy for Tibet.

I believe that the self-immolators have a good intention and motivation but there are wiser ways to get your message across.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »
I agree that its shameful this happens that that the Chinese will not change because of it, but I wanted to add that the people who do it, I think, are not doing it to get China to listen to them. They are attempting to bring attention to their plight to the rest of the world that could possibly make a difference. However, we have no dog in the fight with Tibet, put plenty with China, so we'll just not get involved to protect our own interests. Not that I think the US can, or should, get involved in every conflict. Just bothers me that since we do involve ourselves in other countries conflicts, we do it solely to protect our own interests/greed, and I find that sad.

Sometimes there's just nothing else to do. When it has gotten to that point. We can always imagine a more fruitful act, but when the situation is so desperate, there may not actually be one. At some point, all that is left to do is express one's anguish, and hope against hope that it will force the world to give a fraction of a second of pause to think that maybe something really must be done to help these families. I think all suicide, in the end, is a human expression of anguish.

In the sense that these people still have hope that their expression of anguish might do even the smallest bit of good for someone else, they are still one last notch away from the ultimate desperation of their grandparents and great-grandparents who committed suicide, understandably, out of sheer physical misery and overall hopelessness.

bambi

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:01 AM »
It brings tears to my eyes to read about this every time. What is the benefit of self immolation? It does not bring back Tibet nor anything. Why throw away such a precious thing? There are much better ways than to do this. Imagine the pain that they go thru while being burnt alive! Whatever the motivation, it is so WRONG!

Galen is right. No matter what you do, the Chinese will not give up Tibet as they believe that it is lawfully right, theirs.

Even if another 100 of them self immolate, it will not help. Please stop this approach...