Author Topic: A nice story to share with ~ Cause and Effect  (Read 14374 times)

nagaseeker

A nice story to share with ~ Cause and Effect
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
Cause and Effect

[  At the time of Buddha, a farmer asked to be ordained as a monk. Shariputra did not see his merit. But, with a great, compassionate mind, the Buddha took his hand and said, "I will give you ordination. You do have a seed to attain arhatship...."  ]

The Buddha explained, "Thousands and thousands of kalpas ago, this man was born as a fly. He was sitting on a pile of cow dung when a sudden rush of water caught the cow dung, along with the fly, and sent them into the river. Downstream, someone had placed a prayer wheel in the water, and that cow dung and fly swirled around and around it. Because of that circumambulation, this man now has a seed to attain arhatship in this lifetime."

Cause and result are so subtle that only omniscient wisdom can perceive every detail. That is why we must be very careful that our actions are truly beneficial.

Reciting just one mantra, protecting the life of even one small bug, giving a small thing--we should not ignore such actions by saying, "This is nothing; it makes no difference if I do it or not." Many small actions will gather and swell like the ocean. These are not merely Buddhist beliefs; these are the causes that create our world no matter who we are. Our study and practice give us the opportunity to understand this and to be sincere with ourselves even in small things.

Om Mani Padme Hum

Poonlarp

• Email
Re: A nice story to share with ~ Cause and Effect
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Thanks nagaseeker, I completely agree and surrender myself to cause and effect. For me, cause and effect is one of the universal law, like gravity. It does exist even if you can't see or touch it physically.

There was a very famous book a few years ago called "The Secret" which has sold over 21 millions copies  and been translated to 44 languages. A lot of people are practicing " The Law of Attraction" promoted by the author, I think the theory is the same develop from the fundamental concept of cause and effects, it's not something new or magical.

Practicing Buddhism is practicing mindfulness towards our body, speech and mind to other people and things, it assembles the causes that is bringing back the same result to us. For lay person like me, this concept become a very stable foundation, which I dare to go against the living standard from secular thinking.

What you do is what you get, it's simple but it's not easy to do. I am doing my best now, hehe...

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »
Nagaseeker. Thanks for the nice story. It reminds us to be aware of every little things we do lest we generate negative karma. More importantly it reminds me of our precious human life. It is so rare and is the only realm where  one can practically generate tremendous intentional positive karma. It is hard to do this in the other 5 realms.

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
stories of such sure helps illustrate deep teachings…else how would one even explain the quality omniscience, all seeing!

I enjoyed reading the story as I find it encouraging in modifying one's action and behavior. Often times, we strive to accomplish big changes, puts forth high expectations and overlook the smallest actions which are critical to sustaining our practice.

A straw house can be built rather quickly but when the wind blows, it's the first to go. Some will say, well, at least the house is built.

It is good to focus on laying each brick well and firmly to build a strong foundation for the house.

It is good to focus on modifying our negative behaviors and developing virtues with each thought, though small, insignificant and unobservable as it is. Every effort counts...

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
stories of such sure helps illustrate deep teachings…else how would one even explain the quality of omniscience, all seeing, karma etc...

I enjoyed reading the story as I find it encouraging in modifying one's action and behavior. Often times, we strive to accomplish big changes, puts forth high expectations and overlook the smallest actions which are critical to sustaining our practice.

A straw house can be built rather quickly but when the wind blows, it's the first to go. Some will say, well, at least the house is built.

It is good to focus on laying each brick well and firmly to build a strong foundation for the house.

It is good to focus on modifying our negative behaviors and developing virtues with each thought, though small, insignificant and unobservable as it is. Every effort counts...

Q

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
Cause and Effect

[  At the time of Buddha, a farmer asked to be ordained as a monk. Shariputra did not see his merit. But, with a great, compassionate mind, the Buddha took his hand and said, "I will give you ordination. You do have a seed to attain arhatship...."  ]

The Buddha explained, "Thousands and thousands of kalpas ago, this man was born as a fly. He was sitting on a pile of cow dung when a sudden rush of water caught the cow dung, along with the fly, and sent them into the river. Downstream, someone had placed a prayer wheel in the water, and that cow dung and fly swirled around and around it. Because of that circumambulation, this man now has a seed to attain arhatship in this lifetime."

Cause and result are so subtle that only omniscient wisdom can perceive every detail. That is why we must be very careful that our actions are truly beneficial.

Reciting just one mantra, protecting the life of even one small bug, giving a small thing--we should not ignore such actions by saying, "This is nothing; it makes no difference if I do it or not." Many small actions will gather and swell like the ocean. These are not merely Buddhist beliefs; these are the causes that create our world no matter who we are. Our study and practice give us the opportunity to understand this and to be sincere with ourselves even in small things.

Om Mani Padme Hum

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I believe this story teaches us a variaty of things. Among them for us to be extra mindful in things as you have pointed out. That even a small being have the potential to eventually reach the state of an Arhat, even if it takes a very very very long time.

It also teaches us the power of mantras and it is not to be taken lightly. Mantras are after all Buddhas in the form of word and sound.

One question, I believe there are mantras that we can blow to the feet so that if we accidently step on an insect unknowingly, the negative karma will be lighter... if i'm not mistaken. However, is there any mantras that we can recite to blow to our feet so that it can have the same effect as stated in the story above??

Gypsy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »
This is very true nagaseeker. Before i know Buddhism, i read about a famous self-help book called "The secret". It's based on law of attraction and i can relate cause and effect in this book. The book teaches us "likes attract likes", think positively and positive thing will come back to us. On the other hand, if we are a negative person, of course bad things will most likely happen on us.

I find this book quite interesting and do really apply this principal in my life. Every little actions we do count, whether or not it is out of good will or bad motivation, karma bites and it comes back.

nagaseeker

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
Cause and Effect

Om Mani Padme Hum

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I believe this story teaches us a variaty of things. Among them for us to be extra mindful in things as you have pointed out. That even a small being have the potential to eventually reach the state of an Arhat, even if it takes a very very very long time.

It also teaches us the power of mantras and it is not to be taken lightly. Mantras are after all Buddhas in the form of word and sound.

One question, I believe there are mantras that we can blow to the feet so that if we accidently step on an insect unknowingly, the negative karma will be lighter... if i'm not mistaken. However, is there any mantras that we can recite to blow to our feet so that it can have the same effect as stated in the story above??

Dear Q ,
The mantra you talk about is  - Om Kre tsara gana hum hri soha .  You should recite this mantra 3 times  every morning n spit on your feet before you go out . Not only the negative karma will be lighter when you accidently step on insects unknowingly , it can also help the insect to have a good rebirth ! that is the power of Mantra. But i'm not sure whether it plan the seed for the insect to attain arhatship..... ::)

negra orquida

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Reciting just one mantra, protecting the life of even one small bug, giving a small thing--we should not ignore such actions by saying, "This is nothing; it makes no difference if I do it or not." Many small actions will gather and swell like the ocean.

I think this relates to the concept of universal responsibility.  A lot of the problems we face globally is due to our belief that "I cannot make a difference or change a situation / solve a big problem, hence there is no point in ME doing something about it."  But we never thought about how many other people share that same view as ME and the effect of them all not taking action to help solve a big problem.

If we had been thinking all this while that "I alone cannot solve the problem. But together, WE can" then perhaps our world would've been different.

Here's a 3 min video on how to start a movement ("it is the first follower that transformed the lone nut into a leader"): http://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_how_to_start_a_movement.html

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »

Dear Q ,
The mantra you talk about is  - Om Kre tsara gana hum hri soha .  You should recite this mantra 3 times  every morning n spit on your feet before you go out . Not only the negative karma will be lighter when you accidently step on insects unknowingly , it can also help the insect to have a good rebirth ! that is the power of Mantra. But i'm not sure whether it plan the seed for the insect to attain arhatship..... ::)

Dear Nagaseeker,

If my memory serves me correctly, to plant the seed of enlightenment (or at least promote good rebirth), we should chant Om Ara Ba Sa Na Di (Manjushri's mantra) and blow onto any animals/insects that we encountered. Chant and blow this mantra on our pets - this is the best way to love them..

x
Down with the BAN!!!

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
As Buddhist we believe in karma - cause and effect. This story teaches us to be mindful of whatever actions we do whether is good or bad as all actions have its results. In order for something to manifest, even though it may take a very long time to manifest,  we have to plant the seed. Thus if we want good results, we need to be mindful of our actions now and to use our precious human body to be of benefit to others by planting the right seed. It is easier said than done but it has to start from some where ;)

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
Cause and Effect

Om Mani Padme Hum

Nice story to illustrate how all of us can be Buddhas by starting with what we can do first. Like helping out by returning kindness to our loved ones, transforming our negative traits, contributing to our favorite charity, performing our Sadhana, getting involved with our Dharma center, studying the Lamrim and following instructions of our Lama. These are just some of what I know that will help in small and big ways.

Reena Searl

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
thanks for this nice story sharing. I like it very much

This remind me DO NOT TAKE THINGS/ACTIONS/PPL AROUND US FOR GRANTED,
minor little action that beneficial others may lead to positive effect, precious human life the main purpose is to benefit others. Performing action that is beneficial to others definitely will collect merits.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
According to Buddhism, this inequality is due not only to heredity, environment, "nature and nurture", but also to Karma. In other words, it is the result of our own past actions and our own present doings. We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.

Perplexed by the seemingly inexplicable, apparent disparity that existed among humanity, a young truth-seeker approached the Buddha and questioned him regarding this intricate problem of inequality:

"What is the cause, what is the reason, O Lord," questioned he, "that we find amongst mankind the short-lived and long-lived, the healthy and the diseased, the ugly and beautiful, those lacking influence and the powerful, the poor and the rich, the low-born and the high-born, and the ignorant and the wise?"

The Buddha’s reply was:

"All living beings have actions (Karma) as their own, their inheritance, their congenital cause, their kinsman, their refuge. It is Karma that differentiates beings into low and high states."

He then explained the cause of such differences in accordance with the law of cause and effect.

Certainly we are born with hereditary characteristics. At the same time we possess certain innate abilities that science cannot adequately account for. To our parents we are indebted for the gross sperm and ovum that form the nucleus of this so-called being. They remain dormant within each parent until this potential germinal compound is vitalised by the karmic energy needed for the production of the foetus. Karma is therefore the indispensable conceptive cause of this being.

The accumulated karmic tendencies, inherited in the course of previous lives, at times play a far greater role than the hereditary parental cells and genes in the formation of both physical and mental characteristics.

The Buddha, for instance, inherited, like every other person, the reproductive cells and genes from his parents. But physically, morally and intellectually there was none comparable to him in his long line of Royal ancestors. In the Buddha’s own words, he belonged not to the Royal lineage, but to that of the Aryan Buddhas. He was certainly a superman, an extraordinary creation of his own Karma.

RedLantern

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Our actions are all we really have that truly belong to us,and we are bound to them all-past, present and future.The teachings also show that mind is the forerunner to all actions.Therefore, it is the wise person who is conscious and mindful of the quality of his/her thoughts and intentions before taking action.The law of cause and effect can produce positive or wholesome consequences,but it also serves as a reminder of the many negative or unwholesome things that can and will come into our life.But if we want to live a happy life and achieve positive results,we should learn to take a moment to notice the quality of our mind before we automatically respond to others and react to situations. taking responsibility for our actions by understanding the law of cause and effect can help attract more positive experiences to our life,as well as help us develop healthy relationships within our family,our community and the larger world.