Author Topic: Vajrayana's New Ugly Culture - Buddhist Police  (Read 17578 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
Vajrayana's New Ugly Culture - Buddhist Police
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:22 AM »
Dear All,
There has been a rising hate culture for all Shugden practitioners and I have sent a few e-mails to different forums and Buddhist chat rooms like the below link to raise awareness of their conduct be it in accordance to the CTA or many a times for their own benefit. Please take a read on my points based on the Refuge vows and also the Perfections of a Bodhisattva in hopes and requests for them to stop their discrimination. In the long run if this goes on uncontrolled, they will evolve to be an uprising Buddhist Taliban. Let's start the awareness now, we don't wanna have DS centres all over the world to suffer in silence like the monks in Shar Gaden and Serpom do we?

Do feel free to add onto the points I've presented or even come up with your own. Remember, diligence is strength!

Harry Nephew
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sgforums.com/forums/1728/topics/374821

A quote from this forum:

“I would also like to state that on account of my moderator's (a Vajrayana practitioner) advice, and the advice of countless great Vajrayana Masters, that one should stay away from all Dolgyal practice, I hereby announce that this forum does not recognize groups affiliated with the practice, and there shall be no links to NKT website and groups that are the proponents of the Dolgyal practice as from today. (Actually this has already been a rule for years, but I so happen to have taken down the old rules and regulations page from the stickied list for just one day in order to write a new one and apparently people start 'hijacking' and flooding the forum with pro-Dolgyal articles)”

Dear forum Admin,

It has come to my disturbed mind that the culture which you are currently implicating onto the world of Buddhism is very sickening and ugly for a practitioner/layman such as myself. What has sprouted from the ban of Dorje Shugden’s practice has led to many other implications whereby Buddhists layman or not have surfaced themselves to be “Buddhist Polices”.

A bit of explanation of this term called the “Buddhist Police”. Emulating officials and aristocrats from the Tibetan Government in Exile(back then) and Central Tibetan Administration(now) who went from one monastery to another to tell off monks and the Sangha against the worship of Shugden, people across the globe who ‘felt’ that it was their duty to do the same in their homeland.  Watch this link: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10777

What happens outside of the Tibetan Buddhist circle is that people take it onto their own hands by putting up notices and warnings against peaceful practitioners of Dorje Shugden in Buddhist centres, temples and places of worship and also on Buddhist forums and chat rooms online. Please take some time to read my presentation below from a person who is exposed to both worlds within the community and in a modern city where Buddhism of different traditions are flourishing rapidly.

AVOID EVIL

Being Buddhist, our core practice laid down by none other than Lord Buddha Himself is “Avoid Evil, Do Good and Purify the mind.” In order to discern evil from good, the Buddha have spoken lucidly on the guidelines of what is termed to be unwholesome in actions of body, speech and the mind. This is clearly stated in our refuge vows and commitments. Let me write them down here so that we get a good reminder:
1.   To avoid killing
2.   To refrain from stealing
3.   To abstain from sexual misconduct
4.   Not to lie
5.   Not to use harsh speech
6.   Not to use divisive speech
7.   Not to cheat
8.   To avoid intoxicants
9.   To refrain from malice
10.   To have right view

Any transgressions of the above ten would render it to be unwholesome from the Buddhist perspective. In my right frame of mind, I feel that by practicing Dorje Shugden, it doesn’t infringe in any of the above ten vows of being a Buddhist. How then is it evil for you “Buddhist Police” to deem it evil? Has he physically made you or any of his practitioners evil in any sense in the Buddhist context? I do not think so. Even during the parades surrounding His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, everything was done in accordance to law and also peacefully. No war was raged in Dorje Shugden’s name and there will not be such claims in future.

In fact, harbouring malice towards other practitioners whether Buddhist or not is definitely NOT BUDDHIST. We are not Lord Buddha Shakyamuni, Guru Padmasambhava, Atisha Dipankara Shrijana, or Manjunatha Tsongkhapa, so how dare we impose such things on others with ill respect for the teachings. Dorje Shugden practitioners are law abiding and holders of the Vinaya too! Inflicting malice and insinuating that you are on the right path does not give you power to put another practice down.

The law of karma revolves around us whether we like it or not. Have you not put deep thoughts into what will come out of this on the long run? We love to be Buddhist party parading people of what is ‘cool’ or ‘in-trend’, this does not mean that we are bad, but shows us the level of our practice. Will we ever grow and mature into people who embody the Buddha’s love and compassion for all living beings? Will we ever host the wisdom which is promised to arise in our mindstream with proper practice and contemplation? Will we develop spiritual powers which will deem us respect from even the gods from holding our vows intact?
Please do consider what I have to say and end all these fiasco of Buddha/Lama bashing. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, he deserves your compassion. Why? Simply because you are a Buddhist (a practicing one).

DOING GOOD

In accordance with the Mahayana vehicle of putting the welfare of others before ourselves, the Bodhisattva Ideal is a much sought after practice inspiring people from all walks of life. Shouldn’t it be the same when it comes to the Shugden issue? The six mighty practices of a Bodhisattva:
1.   Perfection of Giving
2.   Perfection of Morality
3.   Perfection of Patience
4.   Perfection of Rigorous Effort
5.   Perfection of Meditative Concentration
6.   Perfection of Wisdom

Have we given a chance for Dorje Shugden to come into our mind? Understand how the lineage of this uncommon protector of the Gaden tradition has come into being? Never mind to accept but have we given some time off our busy schedule to listen to what they have to say? Regardless if they are from NKT, Kadhampa etc., as a Buddhist with forbearance, we should have an open mind to what comes before us and compare them with the scriptural facts as passed down from generations from the time of Lord Buddha. It is never good to close our minds to thinking that what is bad is always bad. Even the cousin of Lord Buddha, Devadatta was never condemned but Buddha foretold that he will become a Buddha in a future time.

Morality has been the essence of Buddhist practice. When the Buddha was about to pass into the state of Parinirvana, his last teaching was for his disciples to uphold morality as their teacher in his absence. What is fundamental morality translated in today’s language? Acceptance of others’ flaws, helping people to overcome their shortcomings should be the ethics of the modern day Buddhists. We should not exert our social influence against another’s spiritual practice.

Furthermore, we are lay followers of the Buddha and do not have a spiritual establishment in which we are appointed by our track records to govern the belief and practice of other Buddhists. We have to keep this always in mind. If we have done so, we have already gone against the establishment of the Sangha whereby the Gekuls(disciplinarians) or Acharyas who have special duty to oversee the welfare of the monastic codes within the community of monks.

Patience is becoming a virtue very hard to practice these days. Given the distractions and mental anguish which we face at work, it it even harder for us to practice properly. How do we find harmony within ourselves if we cannot be patient and hold forbearance with other brothers and sisters in the Dharma? Yes, we may not be agreeable with their practice but it doesn’t mean we shove them out from the Buddhist platforms? We need to see them as our mother sentient beings too, no?

Putting our energies where there is a need should be of right action arising from the development of right view. There are so much issues within the Buddhist circle that when we put aside this small difference within ourselves, we are able to bring Buddhism into the fore front and spear head our efforts in achieving a better society for humankind. Don’t you think so?

As this is not a difference by choice due to the fact that these teachings of Dorje Shugden were passed down by highly acclaimed masters whom some of them are His Holiness the Dalai Lamas’ own personal tutors and root gurus. We should not be judgemental to put this onto our jurisdiction based on the fact that we are not at that level. What we can do is to put this aside and it would leave us less room for confusion and more room for our mental concentration. Won’t it be so?

The highest of all Perfections in the Bodhisattva’s way of life is none other than Wisdom. Here, I would like to urge everyone to focus on the teachings of lord Buddha. Regardless of your school of thought, we can read up and understand the Lamrim Chenmo, the sacred works of Je Tsongkhapa which does not discriminate any sect whatsoever. In fact, these teachings have the basis of all 4 schools of Buddhism in Tibet and all tenets of the Indian Buddhist lineage. It is worth a good read and understanding without abandoning your own tradition as I know by my own experience it will help you greatly. It is without prejudice that Lama Tsongkhapa was and is accepted by all schools of Tibetan Buddhism to be the reformer of Buddhist teachings during degenerate times. His works and writings are definitely written for the busy people of today such as ourselves.

PURIFY THE MIND

The distinction of the Buddha’s doctrine when compared with other religions of the world is the works and practices concerning the maturity of the mind. Letting politics and different views distract us from our practice is our loss. The defilements which we’ve collected over time definitely cannot be eradicated in such short span of practice. What we really need to do is to translate what we have learnt into action.

We are our own master of our destiny, please think about what I have to say and make a decision for yourselves today. What we learn and held the oath to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha should be of the same nature as how we hold ourselves as Buddhists and not the other way around. We cannot continue our hypocritical ethics by saying that we are loving compassionate Buddhists and hating Dorje Shugden on the other hand.

I send you my warm greetings and my above stated viewpoints in peace and hopes for change in your mind base on logic and how it is stated in the scriptures. I hope Dorje Shugden practitioners may be given the same chances as all the other members of the public are given to pray and meditate in harmony with hopes for the Buddha Dharma to grow and flourish in this region.

It is also my intention and hope that this ugly culture of “Buddhist Police” of any traditions of Buddhism should face out over time with this understanding.

Much prayers

Harry Nephew
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

kris

Re: Vajrayana's New Ugly Culture - Buddhist Police
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
In fact, harbouring malice towards other practitioners whether Buddhist or not is definitely NOT BUDDHIST. We are not Lord Buddha Shakyamuni, Guru Padmasambhava, Atisha Dipankara Shrijana, or Manjunatha Tsongkhapa, so how dare we impose such things on others with ill respect for the teachings. Dorje Shugden practitioners are law abiding and holders of the Vinaya too! Inflicting malice and insinuating that you are on the right path does not give you power to put another practice down.

How true... Thank you for coming out with such a logical explanation.

I am interested to know if you have already posted it in their website? I can't seem to find your article in forum. Or is it you have posted and they deleted it?

lightning

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »

I am interested to know if you have already posted it in their website? I can't seem to find your article in forum. Or is it you have posted and they deleted it?
They are react to DS folks very fast and no point talking to them and a bunch of them will swarm in with verbal assault.

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »

They are react to DS folks very fast and no point talking to them and a bunch of them will swarm in with verbal assault.

I guess it is time for us to swarm back with logic? Just like harry's article that is with logical explanation, we can do that. Good work harry, and may there be more such articles. We should write skilfully, not to put down/condemn but with facts and logical reasons to make them think. Through compassion we need to help not just the people who are condemning Dorje Shugden but imagine those newbies who are seeking for real spiritual advice/direction. For their sake at least we need to clarify and bring truth to them, hopefully they will have less wrong views n collect less negative karma? and hopefully it will not appalled newbies on the path of Buddhism to give up and walk a way with such -ve views like Stephen Schettini which end up spreading more wrong views and cashing in on it too, which is definitely very sad.

harrynephew

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »

I guess it is time for us to swarm back with logic? Just like harry's article that is with logical explanation, we can do that. Good work harry, and may there be more such articles. We should write skilfully, not to put down/condemn but with facts and logical reasons to make them think. Through compassion we need to help not just the people who are condemning Dorje Shugden but imagine those newbies who are seeking for real spiritual advice/direction. For their sake at least we need to clarify and bring truth to them, hopefully they will have less wrong views n collect less negative karma? and hopefully it will not appalled newbies on the path of Buddhism to give up and walk a way with such -ve views like Stephen Schettini which end up spreading more wrong views and cashing in on it too, which is definitely very sad.

I've not posted this put on the forum but I've mailed to them in private as a mark of respect. Otherwise knowing where they come from, they'll prolly take it down immediately. They can block us from their e-mails but they can't stop us from telling the truth!

Spread the truth, it is the only +ve thing to say

HarryNephew
Harry Nephew

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
Buddhist police has been everywhere since the early days, but from what I can read from the forum rules, its the remnants of esangha who has created a legacy of unfounded fear.

The very reason why those moderators block and ban posts regarding to DS is because they do not know how to answer, they lack knowledge and their fear has no basis, other than wanting to be politically correct. There is no way we can outreason them because blind faith and fear is a very strong combination but we can taunt them when the ban has  been lifted. hehe.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Very well said Harry Nephew. Give them facts so that they cannot rebutt. All that was said is logical as DS practitioners are abiding to Buddhist practices and are acting in kindness and compassion. What is asked from the practitioners is the right to practice DS openly, without discrimination. This is the very least a Buddhist practitioner could offer to another Buddhist practitioner.

Instead of spreading the dharma together, they are creating more misunderstanding among the Buddhist community especially the new ones. THANK YOU Harry Nephew for giving them a piece of your mind on behalf of us practitioners.

beggar

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
Harry Nephew, what an incredible contribution and initiative. It would be good to also send these to any groups that are actually acting in this way, and also to Dharma centers in general so they can know how to answer any such questions / conflicts which may arise within their own centers.

I'd like to also add that there is another more subtle trend within this "Buddhist policing". This seems to happen within specific sects, in this case, Gelugpas. You see, one sect cannot really criticise another sect for fear of being accused of being sectarianism. So they criticise themselves. Non-DS Gelugpa groups begin to criticise DS Gelugpa groups, exerting their authority over each other in the name of "upholding the teachings of the lineage" (or something ridiculous like that). Then one Gelugpa center starts to say that another is "not very correct"; and they start trumping themselves as being more "correct", more aligned to the instructions of the Dalai Lama etc Divisions and conflicts in Buddhism are happening not by any external opposition, but between Buddhists themselves; worse still, between Buddhists within the same sect/ tradition.

Really, all this shouldn't matter if we only followed the instructions of our teacher. No real teacher would ever, ever encourage putting down or making judgements against another Dharma group. You don't need to agree with or want to follow the practices of another group, but respecting the choices of other centers and practitioners is essential to creating harmony between all Buddhist groups.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:41:07 AM »
Very well said Harry Nephew. Give them facts so that they cannot rebutt. All that was said is logical as DS practitioners are abiding to Buddhist practices and are acting in kindness and compassion. What is asked from the practitioners is the right to practice DS openly, without discrimination. This is the very least a Buddhist practitioner could offer to another Buddhist practitioner.

Instead of spreading the dharma together, they are creating more misunderstanding among the Buddhist community especially the new ones. THANK YOU Harry Nephew for giving them a piece of your mind on behalf of us practitioners.

Unfortunately Galen, facts dont always matter to them. Take a look at Phayul and the trolls there - whenever faced with facts, their favourite accusations are (1) your not Tibetan so you dont know what your talking about (2) stop taking Chinese money... preferences in that order.

Of course the fact that Shakyamuni saw no colour, creed or race doesnt matter to them. Sorry but Im resigned to the fact anti-Shugdenites will not change their minds. Id much rather focus on spreading DS and reaching out to those who dont have experience with the anti-Shugdenites...and  making sure the practice grows so big, the anti-Shugdenites have no choice but to shut up!

harrynephew

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »
Buddhist police has been everywhere since the early days, but from what I can read from the forum rules, its the remnants of esangha who has created a legacy of unfounded fear.

The very reason why those moderators block and ban posts regarding to DS is because they do not know how to answer, they lack knowledge and their fear has no basis, other than wanting to be politically correct. There is no way we can outreason them because blind faith and fear is a very strong combination but we can taunt them when the ban has  been lifted. hehe.

Love the replies on this thread.

Dear Guys,
Don't just reply here, be a form of energy to lift the ban. Clear the doubts and write to them politely and with reason. We need to do this as a group. Of course we are not allowed on the forum etc according to their 'rules' but we can write to them and let them take a read. One after another, they can ignore us for all they want. Be creative about it and lure them to read. A line or two with reasoning, it will seep into their minds over time.

If we wanna lift the ban, we gotta work now, get them reading. Let their ignorance of blind faith go down the drain. We need power, a few of us is not anough. Do join in the bandwagon and down with CTA's ignorrance!

Join us at this forum/website with the efforts to give everyone a chance to connect with our Lord Protector.

Cheerios

Harry Nephew
Harry Nephew

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »

Dear Guys,
Don't just reply here, be a form of energy to lift the ban. Clear the doubts and write to them politely and with reason. We need to do this as a group. Of course we are not allowed on the forum etc according to their 'rules' but we can write to them and let them take a read. One after another, they can ignore us for all they want. Be creative about it and lure them to read. A line or two with reasoning, it will seep into their minds over time.

If we wanna lift the ban, we gotta work now, get them reading. Let their ignorance of blind faith go down the drain. We need power, a few of us is not anough. Do join in the bandwagon and down with CTA's ignorrance!

Join us at this forum/website with the efforts to give everyone a chance to connect with our Lord Protector.

Cheerios

Harry Nephew

thing is they will only delete the posts every single time we post there. Its not a good idea to just barrage in as it will give them bad impressions and will reinforce the image of a cult in their minds. The best idea is just to post here in our own forum and also in more public forums like beliefnet and freesangha where the moderators are not controlled/affected by the CTA.

The alternate strategy is to just hammer the forums with Dorje Shugden posts until people who visit the forums gain an imprint and investigate. But that is not exactly nice as I have mentioned it will give a bad impression of DS practitioners to those people.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:06:13 AM »
Phayul trolls they never answer you directly, especially the person with the north american animal handle :) .

If people spend the time to investigate the truth behind the Dorje Shugden issue, or instead of bashing and banning and spreading rumours of how bad the the practise and how evil it is instead to do real sincere meditation I think a lot of them would get some where in their spiritual practise. Some may even get enlightened by now. If we put others down so we can feel self righteous and better than thou attitude it leads to a false sense of confidence as it is based on a relative deluded comparison. you are not good because you practise this or that, hence I feel goo or better than you are. So my self worth is based on something being much less or worst off than I am, what kind of strength is that?

Thanks HN for taking the time to write a letter to them and share with us things that will tickle and disturb the minds of CTA and those who oppose the ban.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

Dear Guys,

Cheerios

Harry Nephew

thing is they will only delete the posts every single time we post there. Its not a good idea to just barrage in as it will give them bad impressions and will reinforce the image of a cult in their minds. The best idea is just to post here in our own forum and also in more public forums like beliefnet and freesangha where the moderators are not controlled/affected by the CTA.

The alternate strategy is to just hammer the forums with Dorje Shugden posts until people who visit the forums gain an imprint and investigate. But that is not exactly nice as I have mentioned it will give a bad impression of DS practitioners to those people.

Hahaha Ensapa, as much as I like your idea, no one takes kindly to spam ;) I believe Harrys proposals works because whilst they might delete every single post, at least they know were out there watching them. And that forms a sort of pressure in their subconscious... ever seen Inception? A quote from it:

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

We keep poking at them, keep adding pressure to the thought of Dorje Shugden in their minds until they can no longer ignore us. They can block us, they can argue with us but that only creates a furore that will interest others into exploring the topic.

Responding to them, whilst keeping cool, calm, collected and LOGICAL are our weapons because the truth always prevails!

pgdharma

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
Thank you, harrynephew for taking the initiative to write to them. Good work! The article is skillfully written, unbiased and logical.  I hope this is the start of a wakeup call for them. Some facts may be implanted in their ignorant minds even though they may deny the logical explanations.

“In fact, harbouring malice towards other practitioners whether Buddhist or not is definitely NOT BUDDHIST.

This is so true. As Buddhists we should show compassion for all beings. So how can they show malice and hatred towards DS practitioners and put the practice down. As Buddhists we should work together to spread the dharma instead of creating misunderstanding and giving false information. 

Let us through combined effort spread the truth so that newbie will not be misled by false information!
And to quote from Dharmadefender " the truth always prevails!".

harrynephew

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
@Dharmadefender & all

Let's just not keep this website and forum to ourselves and put a link into our e-mails and send it to them!

We keep poking silently and they will have to be so intrigued that one fine day they'll click open our e-mails and "ta-da!" be charmed into our side.

hehe
Harry Nephew