Author Topic: Consort  (Read 14893 times)

Tammy

Consort
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »
Why are some deities appear with 'consort'?
How do we explain to kids when they see these stautes?

Down with the BAN!!!

lightning

Re: Consort
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »
They are the wives of the Buddha ;D

nagaseeker

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
 ???  err..... they are also buddha

Klein

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »

For kids, I'd make it simple. I'd explain to them that they represent the male and female energies like the yin and yang. The statue helps us in our meditation and in this instance we need to use both of these energies.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »
Quote from: Tammy on January 16, 2012, 09:49:15 AM

For kids, I'd make it simple. I'd explain to them that they represent the male and female energies like the yin and yang. The statue helps us in our meditation and in this instance we need to use both of these energies.

To add to Klein, we can tell the kids that the buddhas are in a meditational position that will help us in our practice. And there is nothing wrong to be in the position.

lightning

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »

That is very confusing to kids, why not just explain that the consort is actually the wife of the Buddha. If further explaination, on why they embrace each other. I would tell them dun be rude.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

That is very confusing to kids, why not just explain that the consort is actually the wife of the Buddha. If further explaination, on why they embrace each other. I would tell them dun be rude.

Maybe can tell the kids that they are in a yoga position. And they are practicing yoga. That's the truth, Tantric yoga.

shugdentruth

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
Only my opinion, but would it be better if we choose not to expose young children to buddha statues that look too sexual until they are a at a age where they can understand or an explanation can be understood by them?

pgdharma

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Kids are very inquisitive and ask a lot of questions. For younger kids, it is alright to give them a simple answer. However for older kids, they may want to know more besides the female and male energies or the yin and yang.

For example,  we  can explain to them that the Buddha shown in intimate union with his consort represents the union of wisdom, compassion which eventually using skillful methods will  reach enlightenment. It  is a type of control visualization which are restricted to advanced practitioners.

If they ask more, teach them about basic Buddhism so that they can apply some dharma in their lives  when they are young and they may end up to be advanced practitioners in future.

kris

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Kids like to know more especially if we suppress or don't give them answers. So, we should give them answers. However, I felt there is no need to specifically talk about the too much details.

I would just tell the kids they represent ying and yang, and it is used to teach people how to move their energy (qi).

Gypsy

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
At first when i saw statues with consort i was in shocked too, then later on when i heard the explanation of someone who has great dharma knowledge, i accept his explanation and start to embrace...

Well as for kid, if possible, i wouldn't let them see the statues, it's not asking them to avoid seeing things like that. I just want to avoid them think negatively towards Buddhism if they have the wrong perception and they are not nurtured or explained well why those deities need consort? To kids, one female and one male Buddha in that awkward position, normally would lead ignorant people's mind go wild, and eventually misunderstand the purpose and meaning behind it.

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
I haven't been around that many kids but the few I have been around with didn't react negatively towards yab-yum statues.

Rather, they were interested to know why it looks like that, similar to them being curious about the wrathful expressions of other deities. I find kids are very open and trusting.

I don't see the need to hide yam-yum statues from them... neither is there a need to specially draw their attention to it.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:26 AM »
I don't think we need to hide these statues.. as for what kind of explanation to give to kids, I think it depends on the age. If they are too young to understand, then we can just give a broad answer. I would prefer not to go down the husband and wife route... it could raise more questions than answers.

i've actually been asked by a kid before why that yabyum statue is "Like that". We were in a store and he was about 9 years old and because i do prefer to answer kids' questions as fully as possible rather than fob them off with something, i did give the explanation about the two Buddhas in union representing qualities and that it's symbolic. While hearing myself explaining, I was wondering to myself whether I could even understand what i was saying!!! The kid looked at me and said okay. I'm not sure if he understood but I think kids understand a lot more than we give them credit for these days.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »
This is a sensitive and tricky issue. I am inclined to agree with what DSF n WB.
The responsibility  I believe rests  on the parents or Buddhists adults to give correct  explanations according to their evaluation of the kids' level of maturity..
In this modern era of internet, most kids are already exposed to coupling figures etc , intentional or otherwise. I always believe if  we are onto something good or beneficial, there is no reason to hide the object even if there is some risk of aversion or rejection initially. A big advantage in being  open is that we can correct misunderstandings and wrong perceptions through explaining. Hiding or keeping the object in secret only increase speculation and gossip and adds weight that it is something sinister which we don't want others to find out.
My experience with my own children is to educate and expose them to everything as they grow up so they have a balanced view of things, both good and bad. At the end of the day, it is still their perception that counts and that will not necessarily be due to what we tell them now.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »
With kids, i would usually just explain that they are the wife of the Buddha.

But in the first place, HYT images are supposed to be covered and not shown to the public, specifically to prevent problems like these, so that you dont need to explain. The best thing is  if you are not able to explain or you are sure the receipient wont understand, dont show it to them. Can explain if they saw it elsewhere tho.

My HYT images are covered, except for those already in my room.