Author Topic: "AH" character that appreared on the previous Zong Rinpoche's skull relic  (Read 15384 times)

Namdrol

• Email
This is said to be the "AH" character that appreared on the previous Zong Rinpoche's skull relic.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Just to clarify, this 'ah' apeared on the skull of the second Zong Rinpoche, Tenpa Choephel.

The current Zong Choktrul Rinpoche is the 4th incarnation to hold the 'Zong' tulku name.

The sourse of this information is Kyabje Zong Rinpoche's biography, pg. 287

Namdrol

• Email
You sure about this Losang Tenpa? Thank you for your clarification then.

Midakpa

Does anyone know the significance of this syllable on the skull relic? Why did "AH" appear and not other syllables? Does "AH" here refer to Buddha's sacred speech or does it mean "uniting in non-duality"?

lightning

I like this ;)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
You sure about this Losang Tenpa? Thank you for your clarification then.

Yes, I have the biography in front of me with this picture. It clearly states that this is from the skull of the second Zong Rinpoche, Tenpa Choephel.

bambi

Wow! This is something new. This shows that Zong Rinpoche is indeed an Enlightened being.

Manjushri

This is very interesting, I didn't know that. How did this "AH" character appear on Zong Rinpoche's skull relic and why "Ah"? Anyone knows why?

Just for your information for those who wants to know what the meaning behind "Om Ah Hum" is, here it is:

"The syllables OM AH HUM have outer, inner, and "secret" meanings. At each of these levels, however, OM stands for the body, AH for the speech, and HUM for the mind. They represent the transformative blessings of the body, speech, and mind of all the buddhas. Externally OM purifies all the negative actions committed through your body, AH through your speech, and HUM through your mind. By purifying your body, speech, and mind, OM AH HUM grants the blessing of the body, speech, and mind of the buddhas.

OM is also the essence of form, AH the essence of sound, and HUM the essence of mind. So by reciting this mantra, you are also purifying the environment, as well as yourself and all other beings within it. OM purifies all perceptions, AH all sounds, and HUM the mind, its thoughts and emotions. "

~taken from: http://bhutanbuddhism.blogspot.com/2009/10/om-ah-hum-explained.html

Big Uncle

I know of another Tulku (I can't remember his name) that has this sacred syllable appear spontaneously on his tongue when he was very young. I also heard that many mystical syllables of the letter Ah descended upon the earth where Sera Monastery was to be founded after Lama Tsongkhapa prophesied about it. I don't fully recall the details but the common theme is the sacred syllable Ah.

As someone has mentioned, Ah is the purification of the speech and also representative of the Buddha's own sacred speech. I think this syllable appears constantly is because it is through speech that sacred mantras are uttered. Sacred verbal and meditative formulas are uttered to purify the mind and transform it into that of the Buddha. Tantric meditations often contain many recitations of mantric formulas in its meditative exercises. Therefore, it is a significant syllable that symbolized the path from which many of gained their meditative powers and attainments.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
I know of another Tulku (I can't remember his name) that has this sacred syllable appear spontaneously on his tongue when he was very young. I also heard that many mystical syllables of the letter Ah descended upon the earth where Sera Monastery was to be founded after Lama Tsongkhapa prophesied about it. I don't fully recall the details but the common theme is the sacred syllable Ah.

As someone has mentioned, Ah is the purification of the speech and also representative of the Buddha's own sacred speech. I think this syllable appears constantly is because it is through speech that sacred mantras are uttered. Sacred verbal and meditative formulas are uttered to purify the mind and transform it into that of the Buddha. Tantric meditations often contain many recitations of mantric formulas in its meditative exercises. Therefore, it is a significant syllable that symbolized the path from which many of gained their meditative powers and attainments.

There is a Geshe here at Shar Gaden who is well known for having an 'Ah' appear on his tongue when he was very young. :)

samayakeeper

• Email
This is really cool! Only a fully realized being like Kyabje Zong Rinpoche manifested such a clear sign after having realized emptiness. There were so many highly attained beings who had manifested such signs, offering inspiration and showing enlightenment is possible even at this day and age.

pgdharma

Wow, how fortunate to be able to see this holy relics of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche.

By seeing, making offerings to holy relics, we can purify our negative karma and open up our past life good karma in order for us to practice more this life time. Holy beings are very compassionate and they will show signs for us to generate merit.

Benny

The syllable looks absolutely as it should look , very clear and unambiguous . What a miracle to behold , thank you for sharing this photograph .

RedLantern

Viewing a relic can offer inspiration or compassion to people.Relics can provide blessings or an opportunity
to view something of importance to a special person.
It will be a blessing to view this holy relic of Zpng Rinpoche.The main idea behind the relics of the Buddhist is to show it's followers that the possibility of Enlightenment is real and promote good virtue too.