Author Topic: A nice story to share with~  (Read 18367 times)

Q

Re: A nice story to share with~
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 04:54:12 AM »
The wise woman is not practising Buddhism because of blind faith.She found peace,joy and happiness after practising Buddhism for many years.By practising compassion and gratefulness,she obtained great joy in her life.The Buddha's teachings is the greatest heritage that man has received from the past.Buddha's message of non violence and peace of love and compassion,of tolerance and understanding,of truth and wisdom,of respect and respect and regard for all life,of freedom and selfishness,hatred and violence,delivered over 2,500 years ago,stand good for today and will stand forever as as the truth.
Therefore,we will gain instead of lose if we practise.

vajraD

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
This is really a nice story that you are sharing.

This story also tells me that even if one person is highly educated we may not have the answer to everything.

The woman do not have a education background but just simply learning Buddhism she has such a high wisdom. Sometimes simplicity and having strong faith brings us the answer that we are looking for.

It also reminds me that we have nothing to loose because when we transform our mind and become a happier person we have actually gain the best blessing ever.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »
There is so much truth that we cannot perceive, not because the truth is not truth, but because we cannot see it due to our ignorance, due to our closed-mindedness and due to our karmic obscurations. Its ironic and sad that we should demand proof when the only proof lies in the result of following a practice.

We are like the frog that lives in a well, looking up from the bottom and thinking that the small bit of the sky it sees is the entire sky. How silly and unfortunate it would be if the frog demands to be shown the entire sky before it agrees to come out from the bottom of the well. The actual coming out of the well itself is a great benefit.

Similarly, the actual practice of Buddhism - right views, right livelihood, living compassionately and wisely, and without greedy attachments - these are benefits to be experienced when living a spiritual life. The experience that leads us to see the Buddha is all things.

dondrup

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
In today’s materialistic world, many people do not subscribe to any religion.  Only when these people encounter some tragic loss or suffered a terrible life-threatening illness and so on would they start to consider to embrace a religion.  Buddhism offers a way of life that brings happiness, overcomes suffering and gives a clear understanding of what life is all about.  Buddhism was founded by Lord Buddha more than two thousand five hundred years ago.  His teachings have benefitted countless beings since and will continue to benefit more.

A Buddha is defined as an enlightened being whose sole purpose is to benefit sentient beings.  A Buddha will not lie to harm us in any way.  Even if the Buddha had lied, He is skillfully benefiting us. All the 84,000 methods that Buddha had taught will only benefit us.  Hence if we put into practice the teachings of Buddha, we will surely gain just like the farm lady had in the story.  Buddha’s teachings are meant to transform our minds and bring happiness.  What is that to lose if you practise Dharma and because you know that these methods can benefit you?  Why wait until you die to find out this answer?  The scholar was trying to prove the existence of Buddha.  Buddha was already there with the gathering.  He as well as the people in the gathering couldn’t see and believe the existence of Buddha due to their lack of merit.  Only the farm lady had!

To understand everything logically and completely before one commits to practise Buddhism is not a skillful way to practise.  By putting into practice Dharma, we purify our negativities and increase our wisdom.  Along the way, we experience the benefits of developing our compassion, gratefulness, joy, peacefulness and equanimity like the farm lady. Gradually we become purer and eventually, we gain the state of Buddhahood.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »
In Buddhism...we practices a way of life. To be able to realized the truth. A realization which we all somehow neglects in modern society. A lot of us think with money, it'll bring us joy and laughter and yes it'll might be doing that, but for how long?

How many of us really putting up an effort to spend time with our parents and really talk to them? Most of us will give them some cash and think that it'll automatically bring joy into their life.

In Dharma...Buddha taught us to develop compassion, calmness, happiness, helpful, gratefulness and kindness. After all, what harm will it cause by practicing all those good qualities. Don't we all want to be treated with these kind of manners. So, why are we still thinking about it? Is there something to lose?

jeremyg

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
We do not lose anything from practicing buddhism. It integrates with the nature of life. It makes us better people. It teaches us to help people, to be compassionate. Even if the Buddha isn't real there is nothing wrong with that. Even if the buddha wasn't real Buddhism doesn't make you hurt people, instead it teaches you to be kind. Buddhism doesn't make you lose friends, instead it helps you to make better ones. It doesn't slow your progress, it teaches you what makes you suffer, so that you don't suffer. So even if the Buddha didn't exist I haven't lost anything. I'd rather spend my life helping or benefitting others that sitting on my ass all day.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
Hey Poonlarp.  You got a point there.  Buddha will manifest in a form that the other person can perceive. So in this story that scholar did not expect a farming woman. When she debated with him, he was taken off guard; smug person that he was.  He thought he was better off than that woman who was just a simpleton.  He was bragging about his scholastic achievements, wanting proof; yet it was all just right in front of him.

negra orquida

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
This is a great story, thank you!  I suppose we can use the moral of story to encourage people to do certain practices, such as daily sadhana or just weekly puja.

Thinking deeper on "what's in it for me? what have i got to lose?" is pretty important in our spiritual practice.  It is part of understanding the value of Dharma.  If we know that we have all to gain and nothing to lose, we will be more willing to go ahead with following the teachings and be greedy for the merits arising therefrom.  It is just like how we would evaluate an investment before putting in our money.  Zero risk, max returns = full speed ahead!

Aurore

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Good story! Yes, it's better safe than sorry!

Few years ago, I couldn't tell the difference between religions at all. To me all is the same. These higher power in all religion is the same. I did question the concept such as heaven and hell, karma and reincarnation. I wanted to choose and embrace just one religion at one point. I thought the idea of asking for forgiveness after we sinned was excellent, but it was too easy. The concept of karma and reincarnation sounded so difficult though most logical. So which is the so-called correct religion? It played in my mind for a long time.

This story reminded me that I shouldn't really need to care so much which was the right religion if I didn't harm anyone and anything.

The moral of the story is ... being smart, rich or learned can't bring one happiness. Whether there is a real God, Buddha, Allah, etc does not really matter. What matters most is to live the right way and we make the most out of our precious human life to benefit others.

ratanasutra

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 02:10:30 AM »
Thank you for sharing very an interesting story.
I agreed that if we have faith or believe in something good then definitely it will bring good result, in this case the lady farmer believes in Buddha which it beyond than just the good thing so she will got a good result because of her whole life did all good virtuous things and even the present when she talked she is happy and feel peace and calm which direct result from her  faith of buddha and her good deeds.

There is no lost for her..

DS Star

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 05:46:44 AM »
It is very interesting story... definitely the farm lady (peasant) is not a normal person. Buddhas do manifest in different forms to help us understand true Dharma.

Somehow I heard of a similar story but in version that was forwarded by my Christian friend to argue on the existence of God... Oops haha...

The point is, as long as the religions / teachings bring happiness to everyone and teach us to be kind and live in harmony, it is no point fighting over who is right or wrong, who is greater Buddha or....

Many people claimed to be in spiritual practice but they practice just to boost their ego by thinking oh this is the teachings from Great Teacher, so I am great too...

Like in one of the sutras, when the house already caught fire, it is more important for us to find our way to escape from the burning house rather than concentrate on checking who started the fire.

Anyway, whatever the version is, as long as the story inspires readers to understand Dharma and contemplate and thus be kind to others, it is good for us to repeat it to benefit others.

Thank you for sharing.

biggyboy

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
Thank you Nagaseeker for the inspiring story.

This reminds me of times when I talk to friends about Buddhism and the teachings. Their reaction is often “ I am not sure if this is right for me”. Going by the logic of this story, (which I will use the next time I talk about Buddhism to friends) if one puts the teachings of Buddha into practice, one has nothing to lose.

Buddha does not discriminate. Anyone who puts his teachings into practice will benefit, irrespective of whether Buddha exists or not. Buddha’s teachings cover all aspect of life and one would be able to transform into a better person for it. How can one lose?  In fact, Buddha is within us.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
Anyone who puts his teachings into practice will benefit, irrespective of whether Buddha exists or not.

If Buddha does not exist, how did his teachings come into being?

If we are to continue to argue on the existence (or not) of Buddha with someone whose mind is already closed up, not wanting to accept His existence, we're gonna land into a big pile of arguments.  Yes, this storyline is a good one to use an example when talking with friends.  Let them use their own logic. 

bambi

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »

If Buddha does not exist, how did his teachings come into being?

If we are to continue to argue on the existence (or not) of Buddha with someone whose mind is already closed up, not wanting to accept His existence, we're gonna land into a big pile of arguments.  Yes, this storyline is a good one to use an example when talking with friends.  Let them use their own logic.

Maybe the teachings fell from a tree or sky? LOL

Yes, there are so many debates going on everyday because of people's wrong view and the obstacles we face in spreading the teachings. I remember once during a gathering with friends, a middle aged man suddenly talked about Christianity because he saw my Buddha pendant and wanted to 'show off' his religion. I have nothing against it but come on, do we even need to talk about who's 'god' is better? It can go on and on and on. He kept on asking and asking and to a point I asked him this 'do you know Buddhism was before Christianity? Does this mean beings before that all went to hell for not believing?'. No disrespect, really. Just that :

All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
Dalai Lama