Author Topic: Good books to reccomend for practise.  (Read 8083 times)

lightning

Good books to reccomend for practise.
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »
Hi Dharma Frds,

Any reccomendations on English Dharma books to read up, other than Keslang Gysto's books. His books are excellent, but I would like to read up more. (Naropa 6yoga, lamrim etc.) Must be accurate in Middle way explanation also, preferably has liitle or no relation with HHDL  ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:55:29 AM by lightning »

a friend

Re: Good books to reccomend for practise.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:11:31 AM »
Dear Lightning,

The Lamrim should be perfect for you. Lord Pabongka's "Liberation" is just awesome. You have two versions of the same 24 days teaching: LIBERATION IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND, translated by Michael Richards, and the monumental LIBERATION IN OUR HANDS translated by Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tharchin with Artemus Engle. This last version has a treasure trove of footnotes, and the lineage of the translation is awesome too: Khensur Lobsang Tharchin (whose portrait is in this website's gallery) was disciple both of Je Pabongka and Kyabje Trijang Rinpoché.
Anyway, the first Liberation you will find in WISDOM PUBLICATIONS website, and the second one in MAHAYANA SUTRA AND TANTRA PRESS website.
Lucky you!

lightning

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
Thanks a lot for ur reccomendation :D

Alexis

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:03:41 AM »
One of my favorite books is:

Life Stories From the Ganden Oral Tradition.

It translates and explains the secret biographies of the first six pariarch of the Ganden Ear-Whispered Lineage. Togden Jampel Gyatso, Mahasiddha Dharmavajra, Gyelwa Ensapa, Panchen Losang Chokyi Gyeltsen, etc.

I try to read it at least once a year, before a retreat or something....

Very inspiring and filled with blessed information on our lineage.

lightning

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:37 AM »
Who is the author of this book  :D

Alexis

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:27:24 AM »
The exact title is:

ENLIGHTENED BEINGS.
Life stories from the Ganden Oral Tradition.

By Janice D. Willis.

Wisdom Publications, Boston, 1995, p. 282

Mohani

• duldzin
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
Dear Sangha friends

Does anyone know if there are any biographys of Dromtonpa available in english?

Thanks

lightning

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:44:56 AM »
Thanks alot Alexis ;)
Aside to Mohani, Usually biography of Drom Rinpoche is found in biography of Atisha's biography. All I know that He was serving a Niyma Guru in the past before serving Vernerable Atisha. He carry one hand with the baby, the other weaving clothe and stepping on peddle seems very busy with a lot of things at the same time. His spirit for serving of Guru was highly commendable at that time.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:20:26 AM »
I Will definitely buy Janice's translation,also I heard a new book titled "The Book of Kadam" will be released in 2008,has anyone read the original text,I know it's focused on Atisha and Domtonpa,but that's all I know..
I guess I'm asking,is it relevent to our lineage.

beggar

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
Dear lightning,
the Lamrim classic is, as mentioned, LIBERATION IN YOUR HAND; if you like to read more, here's another lamrim book also based on Kyabjes Pabongkha and Trijang Doje Changs' teachings -ANTHOLOGY OF WELL SPOKEN ADVICE ON THE GRADED PATH OF THE MIND, by Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey, published by LTWA.
About the 6 yogas of Naropa there are two collections of texts by Glenn Mullin (a rather academic affair); the only one known to me with concrete practical advice available to the general public - based on Je Tsongkhapa's commentaries - is Lama Yeshe's THE BLISS OF INNER FIRE. Anything by Lama Yeshe is a real treat anyday anyway... and in my mind it's pioneers like him who truly love their lineage as much as the great 'classical' masters such as HH Dagom Rinpoche, because they create a bridge for us; a wide open gate to enter Dharma. So much for now; more anytime...
yours, beggar

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »
As for Lamrim, my favorities are:

Je Tsongkhapa - Lamrim Chenmo - The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment
http://www.snowlionpub.com/search.php?in_item_id=6022

Je Pabongkhapa - Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand
http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=32886&-Token.Action=Search&image=1
(I think I have the previous edition, but who cares...)

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
- Joyful Path
- Introduction to Buddhism (has it all)
- Meditation Handbook

Geshe Wangyal - Door of Liberation
http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=47&-Token.Action=&image=1
(Contains lots of the Good Stuff, including Kadam Thorbu, collected sayings of the Early Kadam Geshes)

Je Tsongkhapa and Je Phabongkhapa - Principal Teachings of Buddhism
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?CatNumber=883
(A commentary of Pabongkhapa to Tsongkhapa's Short Lamrim text)

Je Tsongkhapa and Je Phabongkhapa - Preparing for Tantra, The Mountain of Blessings
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=6419
(A commentary of Pabongkhapa to Tsongkhapa's Prayer of the Stages of the Path)

And of course the previously mentioned ...
Enlightened Beings - Life Stories from the Ganden Oral Tradition
http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=51&-Token.Action=&image=1
... is wonderful.  ;D I just read the introductory part, and am starting the actual translated text tomorrow. Yippee!

lightning

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »
Thanks alot to Zhalmed Pawo, beggar, Alexis and  a friend for all of ur good reccomendation :D ;) ;D
Kindly update us if any of us has any more good books to reccomend :D

Gabby Potter

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
Thank you for your recommendation A Friend, Lamrim ( Liberation in the Palm of your hand ) is definitely a must read! I've got my hands on this wonderful book few years ago, although I have read everything, but I forgot most of the teachings inside as it has been years, it's time to pick up the book and read again, it very resourceful.