Author Topic: Dalai Lama Paying Homage to a Catholic Monk  (Read 10239 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
Re: Dalai Lama Paying Homage to a Catholic Monk
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »
After initially organizing courses in the London area, Manjushri Centre moved to Conishead Priory near Ulverston, on the northwest coast of England, in August 1976. Lama Yeshe had already begun looking for a suitable Teacher. At that time, Geshe Kelsang had accepted an invitation by the Christian monk and writer, Thomas Merton, to live and teach in a centre planned in Canada, but after Thomas Merton's tragic death this was no longer possible. Geshe Kelsang was then free to come to England, and Lama Yeshe requested Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche to ask Geshe Kelsang to become Resident Teacher of Manjushri Centre. Geshe Kelsang later recounted that Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche asked him to go to England, teach Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way and Lamrim, and then check whether there was any meaning in his continuing to stay.

Wow this is interesting! inter religious harmony is something wonderful to see these days. But who could have imagined that a Christian monk would invite a Buddhist one to teach in england? If even a Christian monk could recognized Geshe Keslang Gyatso's knowledge and wisdom, wouldnt it mean that he is indeed someone who can teach and who is a valid teacher? This is one of the few other reasons why people who criticize Geshe Keslang Gyatso have no basis in their claims.

there is a never ending story to the claims people put onto others. whether the reason is valid from the viewpoint at the time which the event took place or other reasons, Buddhists believe in the law of Karma. Karma will eventually catch up with whatever they are doing.

I would like to bring everyone's attention to the Buddhist's perspective of change. Change is constant as we all know and it switches back and forth from negative to positive, wholesome to unwholesome. We must always remember that people are inherently good and will change for the better.

Though the situation now seems like HHDL is doing something inconsistent when compared to the religious prosecution of Dorje Shugden practitioners but I do see one thing consistent with HHDL which is that HHDL lends a helping hand to those who are in need. Acknowledging that grace and kindness, I am sure that the ban will come down someday soon in order to benefit more people.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:02:11 AM »
After initially organizing courses in the London area, Manjushri Centre moved to Conishead Priory near Ulverston, on the northwest coast of England, in August 1976. Lama Yeshe had already begun looking for a suitable Teacher. At that time, Geshe Kelsang had accepted an invitation by the Christian monk and writer, Thomas Merton, to live and teach in a centre planned in Canada, but after Thomas Merton's tragic death this was no longer possible. Geshe Kelsang was then free to come to England, and Lama Yeshe requested Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche to ask Geshe Kelsang to become Resident Teacher of Manjushri Centre. Geshe Kelsang later recounted that Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche asked him to go to England, teach Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way and Lamrim, and then check whether there was any meaning in his continuing to stay.

Wow this is interesting! inter religious harmony is something wonderful to see these days. But who could have imagined that a Christian monk would invite a Buddhist one to teach in england? If even a Christian monk could recognized Geshe Keslang Gyatso's knowledge and wisdom, wouldnt it mean that he is indeed someone who can teach and who is a valid teacher? This is one of the few other reasons why people who criticize Geshe Keslang Gyatso have no basis in their claims.

there is a never ending story to the claims people put onto others. whether the reason is valid from the viewpoint at the time which the event took place or other reasons, Buddhists believe in the law of Karma. Karma will eventually catch up with whatever they are doing.

I would like to bring everyone's attention to the Buddhist's perspective of change. Change is constant as we all know and it switches back and forth from negative to positive, wholesome to unwholesome. We must always remember that people are inherently good and will change for the better.

Though the situation now seems like HHDL is doing something inconsistent when compared to the religious prosecution of Dorje Shugden practitioners but I do see one thing consistent with HHDL which is that HHDL lends a helping hand to those who are in need. Acknowledging that grace and kindness, I am sure that the ban will come down someday soon in order to benefit more people.

I strongly believe that the Dalai Lama will take down the ban once the conditions are right because I dont think the Dalai Lama truly believes that Dorje Shugden is evil based on his previous speeches against him as well as his lack of actions to eliminate Dorje Shugden from the history and texts of the Gelugpas, as what the Sakyas did. To me, that shows that he is actually putting the ban in place for another reason and not exactly because he hates Dorje Shugden and really think he is evil.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »
I feel very touched as I see such a beautiful picture. Friendship and respect should not be dissected by each person's religious views or practise. I absolutely love this picture, thank you for sharing! :)