Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 17221 times)

Tammy

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
When the facts are presented to us in plain sight, we would, of course, say we would choose the run-less-traveled as we already knew and we have faith that the challenges are meant for greater purposes and hence the choice is obvious.

However, for people who have no dharma knowledge, they would definitely take the comfortable way (ie Option 1). Not because they are lazy/stupid/dont transform/etc etc. They simply do not have the essential knowledge to make a good decision. They choose based on what they know!

Hence spreading dharma is vital, knowledge changes people's perspectives and is the only enabler to facilitate good decisions.
Down with the BAN!!!

Tenzin K

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »
I use to choose path 1. Knowing what you know better and used to. This also make me much confident in my decision making.

But lately things changes. I'm getting or tend to choose path 2. Exploring and learning something new give me more opt or the best solution in facing my problem.
It's difficult to move from your comfort zone but i just keep on reminding myself that in our life we always learn to improve ourself.

The world is keep on changing. Our life too.
If we do not adjust to it we will never make it.

valeriecheung

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »
Option 1 : its been proven not a long term happiness for me.

Option 2:  is my current decision. Life is impermanent, don't time due to our bad karma will just rioen anytime without any warning.

hope rainbow

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 03:22:17 AM »
At the crossroads, which of the following would YOU chose:

1. Continuing along a similar path we were, knowing full well from past, it has not served us well. But it is the path that we know so well and is comfortable with so much so we think merely because of this, it is actually a case of "better the devil you know!"

OR

2. We challenge ourselves on a whole new path where everything is new and possibly uncomfortable/difficult even, but yet there is this possibility it may well work because it is a path not yet trodden on? Would we actually bite the bullet and pursue this chance?

We need to choose a DESTINATION first, then take the path to it.

So this not a choice between paths.
We might even have to open the path at times!

bambi

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:28:38 AM »
Before I got the chance to see this website... I would have continued with the mundane activities that are so comfortable without a care in the world. Goodness.. Who wouldn't? Why make things so complicated? I was fueling my needs of which I knew was suicidal and 1 day I woke up when I found this site!
And that was when I knew I have to go further and challenge myself because of all the negative imprints I have caused.  With DS practice, I became someone I never thought I could! So long as I know that Dharma will be my way, I will not be scared biting any bullet that comes my way!  ;D

negra orquida

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
I agree with Kurava... won't want to make the same mistake over and over again by going on the path which has failed me before, and won't want to take a path untrodden by anyone else.. I'm game to try something new and see what happens, but I also want to make sure I don't suffer for nothing or end up in deeper 5h#t!

Galen

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

1. Continuing along a similar path we were, knowing full well from past, it has not served us well. But it is the path that we know so well and is comfortable with so much so we think merely because of this, it is actually a case of "better the devil you know!"

OR

2. We challenge ourselves on a whole new path where everything is new and possibly uncomfortable/difficult even, but yet there is this possibility it may well work because it is a path not yet trodden on? Would we actually bite the bullet and pursue this chance?

If I am at the crossroad, then I would choose option 2 cos there is a possibility of a change and will not lead me to the crossroad now. If I choose Option 1, the it is still the same and nothing would change. It is like doing things over and over again expecting a different result, which we call Insanity.

In choosing Option2, we must have all our backdoors closed so that there is no turning back. Cos in option 2, the road will be harder and will encounter more knocks than usual. It will be easy to give up. THerefore, all backdoors must be eliminated before we trod on option2. The result will be a 50/50 chance of either failing or succeeding.

I would choose option 2.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Choose (2) because since (1) is already the tried and tested path that did not work.  No point to travel that path again as it is going to be another disappointment, though it feels safe as it is familiar.  A path well travelled.  It is like going against a concrete wall, knowing full well that you will not get through but keep insisting on banging your head against it.

Taking (2) will be challenging as it is new.  Uncomfortable and difficult yes, but then we would not know if we do not try to find out if it will work since the other choice did not serve well.  We should not sit on our laurels but instead push ourselves to try other methods to accomplish our task.

dsiluvu

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »

OR

We need to choose a DESTINATION first, then take the path to it.

So this not a choice between paths.
We might even have to open the path at times!

DITTO WHAT U SAY REALLY CAUGHT MY ATTENTION amongst all because REALLY THE PATH IS IN YOUR OWN HANDS AND YOU ARE CARVING IT DAILY. It is not something from somewhere suddenly presents itself to you independently. In Dharma the one consistent thing I have been hearing is that YOU ARE YOU CREATOR AND YOU TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR EVERY SINGLE SITUATION that you EXPEREINCE>

So if there we 2 paths to choose... it would probably because I have created these two paths for my self to choose. So why create two paths? Just create one... and YES where's the destination? I think that is the key :)

ratanasutra

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
dsiluvu, as a practitioner so the ultimate goal is of course to gain enlightenment and i think that apply to every practitioners otherwise why engage in religions and begin you practice?

For pc's question whether is concern in spiritual path or not the answer might not be so much different but definitely it will make it clearer for everyone to choose their path.

For me as the first path is does't work, i won't waste my time to continue it as it will be the same result but i will try on with other paths. Yes, there will a challenge, effort, patience etc that need to put in with the right attitude as there is nothing to loose but perhaps it might work well.

biggyboy

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »

I wouldn't want to rest on my laurel and be comfortable.  Why? How long can we hide within this comfortable zone and be the loser till we breathe our last breath? I would be bored then! Nothing exciting and accomplishing nothing in life.  If we have not accomplish anything and sitting till bored in life is already a suffering.  Worst accumulation of suffering if we keep it this way.

I definitely choose this whole new unknown path.  How would we know that we cannot be successful to make it in life and to leave a legacy behind if we have not tried and give it all?  Wouldn't this a better bet and best assurance that we can get in life rather than not doing anything?  Why? It is the sweetness of success one can savour in accomplishing something in an unknown path.

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
At the crossroads, which of the following would YOU choose:

OR

Very often the case, although we know continuing on with a similar path will give us similar results, many stick with it and go through the same problems over and over again. Why? Well, simply because it’s comfortable. We do not want to do extra, to be a little uncomfortable and make that little effort to change. How can we do the same repetitive action, which failed many times, and expect a different result? Choosing path number 1 will lead to much unhappiness, blaming and complain. Most importantly, it will start over and over again because it’s craziness to expect different doing the same action!

Although guilty of having chosen path number 1 myself quite many times, I am glad I am more aware these days and remind myself to always move out and be a little uncomfortable. To tread that new path I’ve not been before. I realize, walking down a new path, I get to see and learn new things. I get more experience rather than staying stagnant and the possibilities are endless, unlike path number 1, predicted.  I will choose path number 2, so that this life is not wasted doing the same repetitive things over and over until the day I die.
DORJE PAKMO

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Although it is generally safer to stick to the path that we know that is within our expectations, we will never grow if we always stick to the safe side of things. In fact, i find living life that way is boring and pretty much useless as there is no progress in life. There is nothing new to learn or explore. Even animals, as much as they fear for their own life and protect it with everything that they have still explore new territories and expand their horizons. To stay within our own comfort zones aka the safe route is a definite way of closing ourselves up to new ideas and also a one way road to more failures, dissapointments, bitterness and lack of growth as a person or in any other aspects of our lives. People who always play it on the safe side rarely get respect and admiration from others, and they rarely achieve much with their lives for that matter.

On the other hand, people who dare to explore new horizons tend to be a lot more successful than those who dont. When we learn to take and manage risks, we grow in many ways as it is a very direct lesson on taking responsibility and doing more as opposed to staying on the safe side and not growing at all. Most successful businessmen are successful because they are willing to take risks and do something out of the box or unconventional and in the end, even if they fail, they develop the capabilities to actually handle such failures and improve and learn from there. That is how they become successful. The same applies for successful innovators, scientists, pioneers and even motivational speakers as well. They all took the hard route to success, and therefore they deserve what they have.

Personally, i prefer to explore my options rather than getting stuck with what I have. Life becomes more meaningful and fun that way as opposed to doing something mundane and the same thing on a daily basis...then whats the meaning of life?

I often kinda let this song "guide" me in some decisions and inspire me to step out of my comfort zone.

What You Waiting For? (Extended Clean Version) Small | Large

Hope it inspires you guys too!