Author Topic: What does it mean by Surrendering?  (Read 29140 times)

Gypsy

Re: What does it mean by Surrendering?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »
Surrending in dharma means you give up your attachment and desire and give full force in dharma work. Realize the meaning of dharma and go all the way, no matter how difficult it is, never give up dharma. Let go is another issue, how many of us can really let go and have a pure mind without any negative emotions indulge in it?

Surrending is also when you get disappointed and from there you learn. Face your own problem and think a solution to deal with it. Surrending also means you've tried all sort of methods but you just cannot figure out the answer.

Midakpa

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:54 AM »
Surrending to the guru is giving up one's ego and attachments. It means letting go of all our neuroses and start a journey of basic sanity. Remembering that the guru is the doctor and we are the patient. Surrendering means just that, the wish to be "whole" (sain) and safe. Surrending is seeking protection from the guru, especially protection from fear at the time of death.

When we prostrate to the guru, we are actually surrendering. In our mind, we can say that we are surrendering, for example "I surrender to Guru". And when we get up, we should have the mind that wishes to benefit others. We should ask for the guru's blessings to benefit others.

Why do we want to surrender to the guru? Because he is the source of all our happiness. By following the guru's example, we can learn to achieve the same qualities and benefit others.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
Surrendering in dharma means to give up all your attachments by way of body, speech and mind.  We have to change our thinking and transform it into a positive attitude with the thought of others - though it is much easier said than done.  Then we have to put our good thoughts into action - by watching our speech and body language.

Surrendering is not giving up - giving up is calling it quits; the end; finito.  Surrendering is when you realise that what you have held on to for so long is not going to benefit you, when you realise all the material things in this world are just temporary.

goldengirl

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
To me Surrendering means we have to surrender to our guru by Practising  Guru Devotion with the  Nine Attitudes and  the Eight Verses of Mind Transformation, this will eventually help us to letting go of everything and become selfless for the sake of all sentient beings.

goldengirl

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:27 AM »
To me surrendering means we have to surrender to our Guru by Practising Guru Devotion with the Nine Attitudes and the Eight Verses of Mind  Transformation, this will help us to eventually to letting go of everything and become selfless for the sake of all sentient beings.

bambi

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
Surrendering ourselves does not mean giving up everything and becoming a monk. I believe that there are much more to SURRENDERING!
One way of surrendering here can also mean mind transformation. To be able to accept what our Guru tells us to do and trust completely. If my Guru tells me that I need to give up my secular job and do Dharma all the way, I will believe, accept and have complete trust in my Guru for He and my Protector is ONE!
That will be my way of Surrendering to my Guru, Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

hope rainbow

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
This is what I must surrender:

- that I know better
- that I want it my way
- that it is "my way or the highway"
- that "I have heard it before"
- that I could be somewhere else instead of this class or puja
- that I dislike that monk in the monastery, I won't share a task with him
- that "I don't like to be talked on that tone"
- that I will help all sentient beings, but on my terms
- that I love all sentient beings except that "person"
- that I have compassion towards all sentient beings except chicken, cows and seafood
- that I am the judge of who's been kind enough to deserve my compassion
- that I'll give everything to Dharma but only from my surplus
- that I won't do "that", what would people think of me?

The list is unfortunately endless.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
Definition according to the words of a dictionary : (surrender to) abandon oneself entirely to (a powerful emotion or influence); give in to: he was surprised that Miriam should surrender to this sort of jealousy | he surrendered himself to the mood of the hills.

Dharma is our subject what we surrender to, because it would bring us more benefits for lifetimes than we think we know of. Buddhism is a gentle religion where equality, justice and peace reign supreme. To depend on others for salvation is negative, but to depend on oneself is positive. Dependence on others means surrendering one's intelligence and efforts.