Author Topic: Buddhism in Modern Society - Venerable Thubten Chodron  (Read 4364 times)

Positive Change

Buddhism in Modern Society - Venerable Thubten Chodron
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I found this really poignant article by Venerable Thubten Chodron.

Born in 1950, Thubten Chodron grew up near Los Angeles. She graduated with a B.A. in History from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1971. After traveling through Europe, North Africa and Asia for one and a half years, she received a teaching credential and went to the University of Southern California to do post-graduate work in Education while working as a teacher in the Los Angeles City School System.

In 1975, she attended a meditation course given by Ven. Lama Yeshe and Ven. Zopa Rinpoche, and subsequently went to Kopan Monastery in Nepal to continue to study and practice Buddha's teachings. In 1977 she was ordained as a Buddhist nun by Kyabje Ling Rinpoche in Dharamsala, India, and in 1986 she received bhikshuni (full) ordination in Taiwan.

She studied and practiced Buddhism of the Tibetan tradition for many years in India and Nepal under the guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tsenzhap Serkong Rinpoche, Zopa Rinpoche and other Tibetan masters. She directed the spiritual program at Lama Tzong Khapa Institute in Italy for nearly two years, studied three years at Dorje Pamo Monastery in France, and was resident teacher at Amitabha Buddhist Center in Singapore. For ten years she was resident teacher at Dharma Friendship Founation in Seattle.

Ven. Chodron was a co-organizer of Life as a Western Buddhist Nun, and took part in the conferences of Western Buddhist teachers with H.H. the Dalai Lama in 1993 and 1994. Keen on interfaith dialogue, she was present during the Jewish delegation's visit to Dharamsala, India, in 1990, which was the basis for Rodger Kamenetz' The Jew in the Lotus, and attended the Second Gethsemani Encounter in 2002. She has also been present at several of the Mind-Life Conferences in which H. H. the Dalai Lama dialogues with Western scientists, and regularly attends the annual Western Buddhist Monastic Gatherings. She is active in Dharma outreach to people who are incarcerated in prisons.

Ven. Chodron travels worldwide to teach the Dharma: North America, Latin America, Israel, Singapore, Malaysia, India, and former communist countries. Seeing the importance and necessity of a monastery for Westerners training in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, she founded Sravasti Abbey, a Buddhist monastic community in Washington State, USA, and is currently the abbess there.

Her books include Open Heart, Clear Mind; Taming the Mind; Buddhism for Beginners; Working with Anger; Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path (with CD); Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: The Yoga Method of Chenrezig; How to Free Your Mind: Tara the Liberator. She has also edited several books for her teachers, including Transforming Adversity into Joy and Courage by Geshe Jampa Tegchok; Choosing Simplicity by Bhikshuni Master Wu Yin; A Chat about Heruka and A Chat about Yamantaka, both by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche. Many of her talks can be found on the web in both written and audio form as well as short daily talks on video, longer video talks, and live Internet teachings.

Ven. Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well-known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings.

The following is an extract from the article:

Appreciating Our Advantageous Circumstances

We are extraordinarily fortunate to have the circumstances for Dharma practice that are presently available to us. In both 1993 and 1994 I went to Mainland China on a pilgrimage and visited many temples there. Seeing the situation of Buddhism there made me appreciate the fortune we have here. However, we often take our freedom, material prosperity, spiritual masters and the Budda's teachings for granted and are blind to the wonderful opportunity that we have to practice. For example, we take for granted our ability to gather together to learn the Dharma. But this is not the case in many places. For example, when I was on a pilgrimage at Jiu Hua Shan, Kshitigarbha's Holy Mountain, the abbess of a nunnery asked me to give a talk to the pilgrims there. But my friends from Shanghai who were traveling with me said, "No, you can't do that. The police will come and all of us will get in trouble." We had to be careful about even an innocent activity like teaching the Dharma. Only when the abbess said that she was a friend of the police did my friends say it was safe for me to teach.

It is important that we reflect on the advantages and good circumstances that we have to practice right now. Otherwise, we will take them for granted and they will go to waste. We tend to select one or two small problems in our life, emphasize them, and blow them out of proportion. Then we think, "I can't be happy. I can't practice the Dharma," and this thought itself prevents us from enjoying our life and making it meaningful. We human beings are very funny: when something bad happens in our lives we say, "Why me? Why is this happening to me?" But when we wake up every morning and are alive and healthy and our family is well, we never say, "Why me? Why am I so fortunate?"

Not only should we open our eyes to all the things that are going right in our lives, but also we should recognize that they are results of our own previously-created positive actions or karma. It is helpful to think, "Whoever I was in a previous life, I did a lot of positive actions which make it possible for me to have so many good circumstances now. So in this life I should also act constructively by being ethical and kind so that in the future such fortune will continue."

Appreciating Our Problems

Appreciating our advantageous circumstances is important as is appreciating our problems. Why appreciate our problems? Because the difficult situations in our lives are the ones that make us grow the most. Take a minute and think about a difficult time in your life, a time when you had a lot of problems. Didn't you learn something valuable from that experience? You wouldn't be the person you are now without having gone through those difficulties. We may have gone through a painful time in our life, but we came out the other side with stronger inner resources and a better understanding of life. Seen in this way, even our problems enable us to become better people and aid us on the path to enlightenment.

Before we take refuge in the Three Jewels -- the Buddhas, the Dharma, and the Sangha -- it is helpful to visualize them in the space in front of us. That is, we imagine the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, and arhats in a pure land. We are there too, surrounded by all sentient beings. A pure land is a place where all the circumstances are conducive to practicing the Dharma. When I visualized being in a Pure Land, I used to imagine only the people I liked and left out the people with whom I felt uncomfortable, threatened, insecure, or fearful. It was nice to imagine being in a place where everything was very pleasant and it was easy to practice the Dharma.

But one time when I was visualizing the pure land, all the people who were giving me problems were there too! I recognized that if a pure land is a place conducive for Dharma practice, then I also need the people who harm me to be there, because they help me to practice. In fact, sometimes those who harm us help us more to practice the Dharma than those who help us. The people who help us, give us gifts, and tell us how wonderful, talented, and intelligent we are often cause us to get puffed up. On the other hand, the people who harm us show us very clearly how much resentment and jealousy we have and how attached we are to our reputations. They help us to see our attachments and aversions and they point out the things we need to work on in ourselves. Sometimes they help us even more than our teachers do in this respect.

For example, our Dharma teachers tell us, "Try to forgive other people, try not to be angry. Jealousy and pride are defilements, so try not to follow them because they will cause you and others difficulties." We say, "Yes, yes, that's true. But I don't have those negative qualities. But the people who harm me are very resentful, jealous, and attached!" Even though our Dharma teachers point out our faults to us, we still don't see them. But when people with whom we don't get along point out our faults to us, we have to look at them. We can't run away anymore. When we're outrageously angry or burning with jealousy or attachment is eating away at us, we can't deny that we have these negative emotions. Of course, we try to say that it's the other person's fault, that we have these horrible emotions only because they made us have them. But after we've listened to the Buddha's teachings, this rationale doesn't work any more. We know in our hearts that our happiness and suffering come from our own mind. Then, even though we try to blame our difficulties on other people, we know we can't. We are forced to look at them ourselves. And when we do, we also see that they are incredible opportunities to grow and learn.

Venerable Thubten Chodron

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Re: Buddhism in Modern Society - Venerable Thubten Chodron
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
I love reading Ven. Thubten Chodron's book, and in fact I have found some of her books (free distribution) in Singapore.

I really love how she talks about practicing Buddhism in daily life and give guidelines and examples of how to do it explicitly. For example, setting good motivation upon waking up, try to be aware of what you are thinking, feeling, saying, and doing, instead of living on "automatic"  and so on. It is very good for beginners and those new to Buddhism. This is what she says about Spiritual Life and Daily Life.

Many people have the misconception that spiritual life or religious life is somewhere up there in the sky -- an ethereal or mystical reality -- and that our everyday life is too mundane and not so nice. Often people think that to be a spiritual person, we must ignore or neglect our everyday life, and go into another, special realm. Actually, I think being a spiritual person means becoming a real human being. Thich Nhat Hanh, a well-known Vietnamese monk, said, "It is not so important whether you walk on water or walk in space. The true miracle is to walk on earth." It's true. In other words, becoming a kind human being is probably the greatest miracle we can perform.[/i]

You can read the e-book, Transforming Our Daily Activities: A Practical Guide To Practising Buddhism In Daily Life, here: http://media.kmspks.org/files/2011/10/Transforming2ndE-062011web.pdf

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Buddhism in Modern Society - Venerable Thubten Chodron
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
Buddhism discards all the mythical views and it paved the way for tearing the mythical curtain of dogmatic views of the time of the Buddha. It teaches us to be open-minded and to give up pre-conceived ideas and prejudices. Buddhism is not a secret doctrine and it is open to all human beings alike. Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its followers and it teaches us to cultivate "saddha" (confidence) but not "bhakti" (mere faith). "Bhakti may lead us to the blindness of knowledge. "Saddha" is two-fold: amulika saddha (blind faith) and akarawati saddha (confidence based on knowledge and inquiry). Buddhists are advised to cultivate akarawati saddha whereas amulika saddha is to be abandoned.

What is the Buddhist attitude to the problems of modern man? Does it propose any process of finding an answer to these continual hardships? Before going to give solutions to various problems of this modern industrial man, Buddhism advises us to scrutinise the real cause of all problems. It says that all the problems of humans beings arise as a consequence of man’s desire(lobha), hatred(dosa) and delusion(moha). Man abuses world resources and produces pernicious nuclear weapons. Why does he produce inter-continental atomic missiles and laser bombs? Why are there supersonic fighters? These are results of human's desire and hatred. Therefore, it is not untrue to say that over the entire world today spreads an invisible umbrella - the umbrella of nuclear terror.

Today, man is not intelligent enough to understand the sacredness of humanity for his commercial motivations. As he cannot understand the fact that why he hates his own species. In accordance with the summary of the Vasettha Sutta of the Majjhima Nikaya, we may come to the following conclusion:"There is one race in the world, that is human race. There is one caste in the world, that is human caste." Although human beings have certain wrong views and assumptions regarding race and caste distinctions, they have to accept that all are equal before the moral law (dhamma). Negligence of moral law means the deterioration and destruction of every thing. It is very clear that war-games are targeted at the destruction of man's own species and again it is without the understanding of the Dhamma. In the Dhammapada, we find the most fitting admonition for war-like ideas and hatred of man thus: "Hatred is never appeased through hatred in this world. It is appeased only by loving-kindness. This is an ancient law." It is this attitude that all political leaders of the modern world should cultivate irrespective of their "isms" or ideologies. Mind-culture is very significant for it is the fore-runner of all the other things. Therefore, compassion and loving-kindness for their own fellow citizens are badly needed today. Supersonic fighters or inter-continental atomic missiles do not operate themselves. It is man who make them operate. Who are the people that give orders to operate them? It is political leaders who pass orders and make them operate. They also have hearts and minds which can be changed and it is not impossible to do so. The problem is that they do not see that their own fellow human- brothers are suffering at the battle-fields. They do see only the statistics and not the suffering people. Statistics do not lament. Statistics do not bleed. Political leaders think that their decisions are correct.