Author Topic: Lama Zopa and Ribur Rinpoche  (Read 6089 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Lama Zopa and Ribur Rinpoche
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:36:11 AM »
I just saw this lovely photo of Lama Zopa Rinpoche with the incarnation of Ribur Rinpoche, at Osel Labrang. As Ribur Rinpoche’s previous life root guru was HH Pabongkha Rinpoche, I would presume that Ribur Rinpoche was a Dorje Shugden practitioner in his previous life. I wonder whether he would have access to Dorje Shugden in this life or would his current teachers forbid it. I would dearly hope that he would continue his previous life’s practice in this life also and become another of the new generation of Shugden masters.

From http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/lineage-lamas/498-ribur.html:
Tenzin Pasang, a young Tibetan boy living near Sera Me Monastery, has been recognised by His Holiness Dalai Lama as the reincarnation of Ribur Rinpoche.

When they met in Bodhgaya in early 2010, Lama Zopa Rinpoche offered the young tulku an enthronement ceremony attended by senior Sangha, and family members and close students of the late Ribur Rinpoche.

It is expected that Tenzin Pasang Rinpoche will study at Sera Me when he is older.

The previous Ribur Rinpoche's biography:
Ribur Rinpoche was born in the Kham region of Tibet in 1923, and was recognized by the Thirteenth Dalai Lama as the reincarnation of the head lama of Ribur Monastery. After studying at Sera Me monastery, where he received numerous teachings from his root guru, Pabongka Rinpoche, Rinpoche received his geshe degree in 1948. Rinpoche was then confined in Lhasa from 1959 until 1976, during which time he experienced relentless interrogation and torture during thirty-five of the infamous struggle sessions. "If I told you what happened on a regular basis, you would find it hard to believe."

At the end of the Cultural Revolution in 1976, Ribur Rinpoche spent more than 10 years in Chinese labor camps and was given a job with the Religious Affairs Office in Tibet. On one of his trips to China, he worked with the Panchen Lama and recovered holy objects – including the famous Shakyamuni Buddha statue in the Ramoche temple – that had been dismantled and shipped to China. He also re-established the destroyed stupa of Lama Tsongkhapa, which contained some of Lama Tsongkhapa's bodily relics.

Since his exile to India in 1985, Ribur Rinpoche wrote numerous biographies of great lamas such as the Thirteenth Dalai Lama and an extensive history of Tibet, which includes his autobiography. Ribur Rinpoche spent many years living in northern California where he gave teachings and led retreats, before returning to India, where he passed away in 2006.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

vajrastorm

Re: Lama Zopa and Ribur Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
Thank you for the picture of Lama Zopa and  the young incarnation of Ribur Rinpoche.

Having read the biography of Ribur Rinpoche and his memoir of his Root Guru Pabongka Rinpoche Dorje Chang, two things stand out about him. One was his great love of and devotion towards Pabongka Rinpoche. I quote from his memoir-"The only thing that matters to me is that I was a disciple of Pabongka Rinpoche......To my mind he was the most important guru of all".

The second thing follows from the first. During his years of confinement in Lhasa by the Chinese, during which he was subjected to intense interrogation and torture, he was able to keep his mind peaceful and happy, by applying all that Pabongka Rinpoche had taught him about mind training. In his words: " (D)uring those difficult times my mind was able to recognize the nature of cyclic existence, the nature of afflictive emotions and the nature of karma...  so my mind was at ease".

May his incarnation, the young Tenzin Pasang Rinpoche,  continue his work of spreading the Dharma far and wide. Yes, I too have a strong feeling that the previous Ribur Rinpoche, being so close to Pabongka Rinpoche, would have been practicing the King Protector, Dorje Shugden. May his incarnation continue this practice.

lotus1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
I get to know Ribur Rinpoche from the Memoir that he wrote on Pabongka Rinpoche in the Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand by Pabongka Rinpoche. I am very inspired by his guru devotions towards Pabongka Rinpoche and his humble and humility.
It is great to know that his reincarnation is back. I am sure Ribur Rinpoche was a practitioner of Lord Dorje Shugden. This again proved that practicing Lord Dorje Shugden would not go to hell! The most interesting part is that his reincarnation, Tenzin Pasang Rinpoche is being recognized by His Holiness Dalai Lama and being enthroned by Lama Zopa Rinpoche as a Tulku.
May Tenzin Pasang Rinpoche be well and happy and able to turn the wheel of Dharma soonest!

diablo1974

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
Its always heartwarming to see a elder and young incarnate together. it just strikes me that for the next few decades there will still be someone to carry the torch of Dharma and pass it on to all.  Both Lama Zopa and Ribur rinpoche are very compassionate, they are Buddhas of this era. There was once i saw a video with Lama zopa rinpoche doing his before meal food offering prayers and was unable to start eating because his flight has landed.  He would rather forgo his meal but continue to finish his food offering prayers despite constant reminders from his attendant.  I believe Lama Zopa rinpoche are not against DS practitioners but he has to respect HHDL on this context.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
I did a little google search on Ribur Rinpoche and found little recollections by Ribur Rinpoche on Pabongka Rinpoche. How beautiful! It is amazing how much of an influence Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche has on the greatest Lamas of our tradition! I think it is great what Ribur Rinpoche has done but it would be greater if this current incarnation would spread Dorje Shugden to many, which would most likely happen as when he matures, the ban would probably be lifted by then. 

Ribur Rinpoche On Je Pabongka
(extracted from - http://truthaboutshugden.wordpress.com/2009/02/14/ribur-rinpoche-on-je-pabongka/ )

I have had some success as a scholar, and as a lama I am somebody, but these things are not important. The only thing that matters to me is that I was a disciple of Pabonka Rinpoche. - Ribur Rinpoche

Pabongka Rinpoche: Excerpts from A Memoir by Ribur Rinpoche

“My guru, kind in three ways, who met face-to-face with Heruka, whose name I find difficult to utter, Lord Pabongka Vajradhara Dechen Nyingpo Pal Zangpo, was born north of Lhasa in 1878. His father was a minor official but the family was not wealthy. Although the night was dark, a light shone in the room, and people outside the house had a vision of a protector on the roof.” – from Ribur Rinpoche’s “memoir”

The Venerable Rilbur Rinpoche was born in Eastern Tibet in 1923. At the age of five he was recognised by the Thirteenth Dalai Lama as the sixth incarnation of Sera-mae Rilbur Rinpoche. He entered Sera Monastic University in Lhasa at fourteen and became a Geshe at twenty-four. He meditated and taught Dharma until 1959, after which he suffered under intense Chinese oppression for twenty-one years. Ribur Rinpoche, himself a lifelong practitioner of Dorje Shugden, was held and tortured by the Chinese for two decades. He famously said “If I told you what happened on a regular basis, you would find it hard to believe.”

And yet, by all accounts, he emerged from his trials with a heart full of love and forgiveness. How? Well, according to him, it was due to the blessings and teachings of his root Lama Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche. Below are some excerpts of a memoir of their time together….

Meeting his Root Guru…

His root guru was Dagpo Lama Rinpoche Jampael Lhuendrub Gyatso, from Lhoka. He was definitely a bodhisattva, and Pabongka Rinpoche was his foremost disciple. He lived in a cave in Pasang and his main practice was bodhichitta; his main deity was Avalokiteshvara and he would recite 50,000 manis [the mantra, om mani padme hum] every night. When Kyabje Pabongka first met Dagpo Rinpoche at a tsog offering ceremony in Lhasa, he cried out of reverence from beginning to end.
On his practical style of study (a recurring theme from Je Pabongka’s life)….

When Pabongka Rinpoche had finished his studies he visited Dagpo Lama Rinpoche in his cave and was sent into a Lam-rim retreat nearby. Dagpo Lama Rinpoche would teach him a Lam-rim topic and then Pabongka Rinpoche would go away and meditate on it. Later he would return to explain what he’d understood: if he had gained some realization, Dagpo Lama Rinpoche would teach him some more and Pabongka Rinpoche would go back and meditate on that. It went on like this for ten years (and if that’s not amazing, what is!).
Faithful minds see the miraculous….

One of (my) teachers had a picture of Pabongka Rinpoche that exuded small drops of nectar from between the eyebrows. I saw this with my own eyes, so you can imagine how much faith I had in Rinpoche when I finally came into his presence.
Ribur Rinpoche meets the great lama….

At the time of my arrival in Lhasa, Pabongka Rinpoche was living at Tashi Choeling, a cave above Sera Monastery. We made an appointment and a few days later my mother, my chang-dzoe (the man in charge of my personal affairs), and I rode up on horseback. Although Rinpoche was expecting us that day, we had not arranged a time- Nevertheless, he had just had his own chang-dzoe prepare tea and sweet rice, which freshly awaited our arrival. This convinced me that Rinpoche was clairvoyant, a manifestation of the all-seeing Vajradhara himself.

After we had eaten it was time to visit Rinpoche. I remember this as if it were today. A narrow staircase led up to Pabongka Rinpoche’s tiny room, where he was sitting on his bed. He looked just like his pictures — short and fat! He said, “I knew you were coming — now we have met,” and stroked the sides of my face. While I was sitting there a new geshe from Sera came in to offer Rinpoche a special tsampa dish that is made only at the time of receiving the geshe degree. Rinpoche remarked how auspicious it was that this new geshe had come while I was there and had him fill my bowl just like his own. You can imagine what that did to my mind!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:39:04 AM by Big Uncle »

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Hmm...Lama Zopa and a previously pro-Shugden tulku? That is interesting, considering that he has a blanket ban on Dorje Shugden at all FPMT centers. But what I am more interested is, why would he visit a pro Dorje Shugden tulku in public, and nobody says anything? CTA accused Denma Locho Rinpoche when he went to Taiwan, but why not Lama Zopa? Is it because he is of political importance to CTA that they cannot defame him at this time? Interesting indeed.

And Lama Zopa fearlessly associates himself with more and more pro Dorje Shugden Lamas..