Author Topic: Lithang Kyabgon Rinpoche  (Read 8258 times)

Mana

Lithang Kyabgon Rinpoche
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »
http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/A%20-%20Tibetan%20Buddhism/Authors/Denmo%20Locho%20Rinpoche/Biography/Jamyang%20-%20Denma%20Locho%20Rinpoche%20-%20Biography.htm

Lithang Kyabgon Rinpoche or (Shogdrug Rinpoche)

Tongpon Rinpochey did not believe that a young monk should attend public teachings until he had acquired a sound knowledge of the scriptures, and that to do so could be detrimental and distracting. When I first arrived in Central Tibet, Phabongka Rinpochey was giving a Lam Rim teaching at Sera Mey College and Kyabje Khangsar Rinpochey was teaching the Six Collections of Reasoning Concerning the Middle Way in the Hamdo Assembly Hall. Because of Tongpon Rinpochey's views on the matter, I did not attend the discourses given by these great scholars.

Seven years later, Lithang Kyabgon, a famous lama from Lithang in Eastern Tibet came to Lhasa. On his way to China, Tongpon Rinpochey had stayed with him and requested that he look after my education and spiritual development. When he first arrived, he stayed at Yuthok house, the residence of a high ranking official and due to Tongpon Rinpochey's request I was expected to go and pay him a visit. I went to Lhasa, where I usually stayed with my patron, Phara Chosur. Being cautious and unsure how Phara Chosur felt about Lithang Kyabgon, my attendant told me to keep my visit a secret.

I went to pay my respects and presented a gift of mutton to Lithang Kyabgon, who was also called Shogdrug Rinpochey. When he asked where I had reached in my studies, I told him and he asked me a question. I knew the answer, but somehow could not express it. Suddenly, I found myself in tears and just couldn't stop crying. Shogdrug Rinpochey asked me the reason for this outburst of emotion and I answered it was because I missed Tongpon Rinpochey so much. This wasn't the only reason, I just couldn't pinpoint the source of my grief.

Tongpon Rinpochey had been gone two years. In Lithang, Shogdrug Rinpochey had treated him with the greatest reverence. When they travelled, he offered him his palanquin and joined the other monks in carrying his teacher. This was profound evidence that Shogdrug Rinpochey considered Tongpon Rinpochey to be a highly realised lama.

Shogdrug Rinpochey gave me a tin of biscuits and some money which he told me to keep for myself, adding that he knew all about the difficulties of young monks whose old attendants handled all the money. In the meantime, my old steward had discovered that Phara Chosur was on excellent terms with Shogdrug Rinpochey and unbeknown to me had told him that I had gone to pay him a visit. When I returned, I found Phara Chosur in his living room chatting with a former abbot of Gyuto. He smiled saying, 'So, you've been to see Lithang Kyabgon, have you?' Remembering my attendant's advice, I answered that I had not. Phara Chosur exclaimed, 'What are you saying? Your steward told me that you went this afternoon, with presents of mutton.' I was tongue-tied with embarrassment.

A few months later, Shogdrug Rinpochey came to Drepung and while I was receiving teachings from Gen Nyima, I overheard him whispering something about my taking teachings to a learned monk called Ngawang Jamphel. When I visited Shogdrug Rinpochey shortly afterwards, he told me he was about to give a Yamantaka initiation and asked if I was coming. Remembering that I wasn't usually allowed to attend such teachings, I prudently replied that I didn't know. He told me that if I took this initiation, I would get somewhere in my studies, and if I didn't I wouldn't gain much progress. He gave me some very pleasing little yellow beads and I left pondering his words and how I could convince my attendant and Gen Nyima to let me go. I had no difficulty. My attendant had heard about Shogdrug Rinpochey since we lived in Kham, where he was famous for his clairvoyance. He firmly believed in his abilities and did not prevent me from going. As for Gen Nyima he was already planning to send me.

I took the initiation. Shogdrug Rinpochey, who knew I had very little time, told me that I need not recite the sadhana every day, but instead could recite the Praises of the Names of Manjushri. My old attendant gave me time to say it every day, though when there was a debating session, he thought too much time had already been taken from his checking my memorisation and flatly refused to give me a minute to keep my daily commitment. Knowing I could not break it, I began to recite it on my way to the debate. I would make a note of where I had reached when I arrived, and would mentally mark it as I put on my cloak. When the debate was over I picked up from where I had left off and finished it on my way home. I had no time to talk to anyone, as every minute was precious.

Shogdrug Rinpochey was a noted practitioner of Yamantaka. During his former incarnation, a Chinese battalion from Dartsedo had waged war on Lithang and the monastery had come under attack. A Chinese soldier had made his way into Shogdrug Rinpochey's room and been met by a wrathful horned creature. It was said that it was because of this that the monastery was left alone. I heard that during the life of the incarnation I knew, a Chinese clairvoyant in Dartsedo told of a Tibetan lama in whose heart he could see something with horns. Puzzled by this vision, he had gone to meet Shogdrug Rinpochey.

Shogdrug Rinpochey passed away in Lithang a few years before the arrival of the communists. Shortly before his death, he had given a Lam Rim teaching at the conclusion of which he had said, 'I feel that the situation is going to take a turn for the worse. In each of the three regions, a great lama will soon depart for the pure lands, and difficult events will follow their demise'. No one at the time asked what he meant, but Shogdrug Rinpochey himself in Kham, Jamyang Shayba in Amdo and Reting Rinpochey in U, all passed away within a few months of each other.

Shogdrug Rinpochey was reincarnated in Lithang, where he had little chance of receiving much education, but all the same, I hear that he has a good and stable character. In the 1980s, he was given an official title and people advised him that as an important lama he should cultivate a grave, dignified demeanour in public. He refused to do this and for seven or eight years after it was allowed even refused to wear monks' robes, arguing that although there was no fault in his vow, he felt that while he bore a big title but had no religious education it was inappropriate to wear the robes. He finally put them on at the request of Gya Geshe, a Lithang lama in whom he had great faith.

In the 1980s, the local Tibetan officials asked Lithang Kyabgon to use his influence to encourage the local people to rebuild the ruined monastery. He asked them if they felt it was so important, why they destroyed it in the first place? Why destroy something, if the same people will later tell you it needs to be rebuilt? Wasn't this all just extra work? Since he rarely spoke out, people didn't really know what to say. Among those present was a woman who at the time of the desecration of the monastery had taken the mummified remains of his previous incarnation and thrown them out into the open. Meeting him on the road one day she offered him some vegetables. He declined to accept them, but she insisted. As the vegetables shuttled back and forth between them, they fell on the ground. Finally, annoyed she said, 'Well if you don't want them, I'll have them', and picking them up swept off.

A few years ago, I heard that Lithang Kyabgon was offered a high post in the communist party, but he turned it down saying that being a religious person it would serve no purpose.

(Above story of Lithang Gyabgon Rinpoche was recounted by Denma Locho Rinpoche)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Lithang Kyabgon Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
Interesting bio of Shodrug Rinpoche -  amazing that he was so accomplished that people saw him as Yamantaka. I wonder why some Lamas will deliberately incarnate in a place where their potential is not harnessed. It says here that Shodrug Rinpoche chose to be reborn in Lithang where he didn't receive much education. I guess these attained Lamas must have a bigger picture in mind which is difficult to comprehend for an ignoramus like me.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Wow...this bio is amazing. I really didn't realise that there are so many highly attained Lamas and Masters if I didn't visit this website and read about them. This goes to show how ignorant I am too!

I love every word of this bio. I am always very excited and happy to read bios of lamas, past or present. It just fills me up with so much hope and inspiration.

I just marvel at the displays of Guru Devotion Shogdrug Rinpoche had for those he regarded as a high lama. These days, we can't even revere our own Gurus in the proper manner, let's not talk about other high lamas.

In Lithang, Shogdrug Rinpochey had treated him with the greatest reverence. When they travelled, he offered him his palanquin and joined the other monks in carrying his teacher. This was profound evidence that Shogdrug Rinpochey considered Tongpon Rinpochey to be a highly realised lama.

I didn't quite see it before, but I do understand it now. How we treat our own Gurus is a true reflection of how we really treat everyone else. Our Guru Devotion is best meter or measuring stick on how we really treat people, and perhaps, even ourselves.

These days, it is sad to read and see students talking back to their teachers and even fighting with their teachers. Questioning their teachers' caliber, intent or even wisdom.

It always shocks me to see that, or read about it. Below are the words that really struck me throughout this whole bio.

as every minute was precious.

It summarises everything about what high Lamas do and what their lives are all about. They do not use their time and life in vain. We do.

I am so grateful to have read this bio. Such a beautiful bio.

Every minute is precious, so we shall endeavour to use time well.

I shall start making full use of my time, driving, walking and moving about as well as stated in the bio. I shall chant all my mantras and make sure I always complete them. No excuses to say I have no time. After all, my Guru had given these mantras to me with specific instructions.

Thank you again for wonderful bio.
Helena

Helena

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
Oh yes, I wanted to add that all the high lamas do not have such petty thoughts and feelings on whether their students are attending another lama's teachings or not.

They already know and are planning for their students to attend those teachings.

Pettiness only exist in us, the mere mortals, who have no control of our silly minds.

We look at something and we just automatically start thinking it is like this or like that. And it gets fixated.

I like how the young student has to think of ways to lie, or hide the truth because his own mind was not open and above the pettiness.

That is exactly how we are! Our minds are not above the pettiness and wrong views.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
Similar to Helena, I marvel at the guru devotion of beings such as Lithang Rinpoche. Thank you Mana for bringing this bio into this forum.

Tongpon Rinpochey did not believe that a young monk should attend public teachings until he had acquired a sound knowledge of the scriptures, and that to do so could be detrimental and distracting. When I first arrived in Central Tibet, Phabongka Rinpochey was giving a Lam Rim teaching at Sera Mey College and Kyabje Khangsar Rinpochey was teaching the Six Collections of Reasoning Concerning the Middle Way in the Hamdo Assembly Hall. Because of Tongpon Rinpochey's views on the matter, I did not attend the discourses given by these great scholars.
What would people today do given the same circumstances? Would we have faith and entrust ourselves fully to the guidance of our Guru or act according to what we know best.

My old attendant gave me time to say it every day, though when there was a debating session, he thought too much time had already been taken from his checking my memorisation and flatly refused to give me a minute to keep my daily commitment. Knowing I could not break it, I began to recite it on my way to the debate. I would make a note of where I had reached when I arrived, and would mentally mark it as I put on my cloak. When the debate was over I picked up from where I had left off and finished it on my way home. I had no time to talk to anyone, as every minute was precious.

What struck and inspired me is how these beings take their commitments. This is what makes a being special and attainments to arise. If we busy ourselves with so many other things but keep no commitments, than how can we gain any results unless vows in relation to karma is faulty.

beggar

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
remarkable stuff. Stories are always good to warm the heart!

This account says as much about Lithang Rinpoche as it does about Denma Locho Rinpoche, who gave the account. His devotion to his teachers and practice is unmistakable and only the purest practitioners can demonstrate this kind of steady commitment their whole lives.

The account of him reciting his sadhana and prayers on the way to debate and continuing after is very beautiful. If these lamas can make time for their sacred prayers, even to the extent that they have to recite while walking between events, then we have no excuse. They prove to us that practice is not about whether we can do it but whether we want to do it.

It is sad times that people so quickly forget the accomplishments of these great lamas throughout their whole lives and their unchanging devotion to the Dharma and to their people. What has happened to Denma Locho Rinpoche, being suspected of his associations with Tritul Rinpoche as a DS practitioner and later shunned, is appalling. A real sign of degenerate times, when all the achievements and contributions of a lama his whole life are forgotten because of one particular "hot" political topic and where one lama completely overrides another. There is no Shame!

I think this is what makes these biographies all the more important. it shares what they have done their whole lives, their endurance and strength and never giving up no matter how difficult times may be. Then, you see that when the whole ds issue came about, they remain just as strong as ever in their practice and what they do for the world. What does that say about them as practitioners and about ds as a practice? so much more than the people who are persecuting them.

thaimonk

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
How beautiful to know the current incarnation is so humble and quietly does his practice. Great Tulkus manifest in myriad ways.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Interesting bio of Shodrug Rinpoche -  amazing that he was so accomplished that people saw him as Yamantaka. I wonder why some Lamas will deliberately incarnate in a place where their potential is not harnessed. It says here that Shodrug Rinpoche chose to be reborn in Lithang where he didn't receive much education. I guess these attained Lamas must have a bigger picture in mind which is difficult to comprehend for an ignoramus like me.

Such lamas most probably have a very long line of incarnations and many life times of practice.  Therefore, their attainment is stable and they cannot be swayed away from their intended path.  Their past imprints are be very strong and they can somehow remember their past learning with little effort and the slightest trigger.  Therefore, in a way, they don't really need education. The place they choose to incarnate in would most probably be a place where they can reach the people they have karmic affinity with.