Author Topic: Lobsang Sangay-New Prime Minister of Tibetan Govt in Exile??  (Read 26207 times)

thaimonk

Lobsang Sangay-New Prime Minister of Tibetan Govt in Exile??
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
Exiled Tibetans elect new leader
Thousands of Tibetans worldwide voted on Sunday for a new political leader who hopes to become a fresh face of their struggle for freedom in China, a cause embodied for decades by the Dalai Lama.

Thousands of Tibetans worldwide voted on Sunday for a new political leader who hopes to become a fresh face of their struggle for freedom in China, a cause embodied for decades by the Dalai Lama.

The revered monk, 75, announced 10 days ago that he wanted to retire as political head of his exiled government and hand power to an elected leader who could continue the fight after his death.

Amid anxiety about the change, exiled Tibetans in 13 countries from Australia to the United States cast ballots on Sunday for a new prime minister, known as the Kalon Tripa, and a new exile parliament.

The front-runner for the prime minister's job is 43-year-old Harvard scholar and international law expert Lobsang Sangay, who was born in a tea-growing area of northeast India. He has never visited his homeland.

"His Holiness is devolving powers and we should be more cautious in electing the representatives and the Kalon Tripa," said Tsering Choedup, a political activist in Dharamshala, where the movement is based.

"This time, people feel more responsibility to vote," he said as he waited in line with others to vote at a Buddhist temple.

The exact details of the transfer of power are yet to be worked out -- the parliament in exile still hopes to block the change -- but the Dalai Lama is adamant that the movement must be fully democratic to prepare for the future.

Under his plans, he will remain spiritual head of Tibet and the figurehead of the struggle for autonomy for Tibetans in China, but he will no longer be head of the exile government.

The job is mostly ceremonial -- he signs resolutions, swears in the cabinet and occasionally attends parliament -- but the move is part of the Dalai Lama's plan to hand power to elected representatives.

"Rule by spiritual leaders or by kings, these are now out of date," he told AFP last week during an interview in his home in exile in the foothills of the Indian Himalayas.

Sangay is the clear favourite for Sunday's contest between three secular candidates, having triumphed in a first round of the election last year with nearly 50 percent of the votes.

"People see in me someone who is rooted in tradition but is also modern," he told AFP last Friday.

He voted to applause at a temple in Dharamshala on Sunday morning.

Final results will be known sometime at the end of April. Preliminary figures are expected to emerge in the next few weeks.

The move by the Dalai Lama to relinquish power is seen by observers as a risky but necessary step to prepare for a future without his charismatic leadership, which has kept the cause alive for the last 50 years.

It is unclear, however, whether the new leader will have the power or influence to advance the cause.

Despite 50 years of lobbying, even the Dalai Lama has little to show for his efforts. Beijing continues to brand him a "splittist" and subjects him to virulent attacks in public.

An uprising by Tibetans in 2008 was brutally suppressed.

The victor's legitimacy might also be in question among Tibetans in Tibet who will not take part in the election. Their loyalty remains with the Dalai Lama, who must convince them to accept his transfer of power.

Sangay faces competition from two older candidates, Tenzin Tethong and Tashi Wangdi, who both have a long track record in government in the Tibetan administration in exile in Dharamshala.

The election did not go ahead in Nepal where 20,000 of the estimated 150,000 exiled Tibetans live. Under Chinese pressure, authorities in Kathmandu prevented what they see as an unlawful vote.

"The mood of optimism across the diaspora was marred by the news," said a statement from the International Campaign for Tibet.

The Tibetan exile movement has been based in India since 1959 when the Dalai Lama fled across the Himalayas after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:52:38 PM by Admin »

thaimonk

Re: Lobsang Sangay-New Prime Minister of Tibetan Govt in Exile??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:01:04 AM »
Harvard Graduate Lobsang is the face of the new Tibetan govt? If he does a good job, Tibetans will never be ruled by Dalai Lama again. Many of the Dalai Lama's policies will fade in time. Lobsang like many lay Tibetans will know very little dharma and will not be so apt to be involved with alot of religious debates and sect differences. It will be very hopeful for the cause of Dorje Shugden's ban to fade into obscurity.

What Harvard graduate Prime Minister would want to be seen as repressing or supressing religious freedom as the newly elected DEMOCRATIC prime minister?

DSFriend

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
Ah..this is such a refreshing read dear Thaimonk. Thanks for the news.

Harvard. Progressive and forward thinking I would assume. Good looking too! :) I'd think the new generation will be able to relate to him well after a bit of warming up to the new policies.

I certainly do not think any Harvard graduate Prime Minister with friends in the high places and elites of the nations  would want to be associated to run a country with feudal systems, oppression, supressing religious freedom, promotes discrimination and violates human rights. Perhaps it's too premature to bid farewell to the ban, but certainly not too early to say hello to religious freedom and practice of Dorje Shugden!

What I'm not too sure of is how successful he will be in facing China, the Goliath. I personally do not think he will be able to get Tibet "back" but perhaps strike policies that will be a win-win for all..if not, close to it.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I came across this interesting article from the New York Times website from September last year.
http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/china-and-tibet-2/

The writer states that "China is waiting for the Dalai Lama to die, so that Tibetans will lose their leader and cohesion. But the result is not that Tibet will be easier to dominate; rather, it is likely to become more violent. There already are many, many young Tibetans who think the Dalai Lama has been too patient, too conciliatory, too pacifist. This is particularly true of the exiles; Tibetans actually in China tend to be more pragmatic and willing to work things out. But overall, my hunch is that we’ll see more violent resistance after the Dalai Lama goes."

Why i found this interesting was that many people think that the Tibetan issue will pass away with the passing of the Dalai Lama, but this writer says that "The chance of a peaceful political solution will die with the Dalai Lama." and that the current restraint on violence from the Tibetans has been because of the Dalai Lama.

The writer should consider how the Dalai Lama didn't ask the anti-Shugden brigade to restrain their violence though.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Vast majority of Tibetans have very little exposure to the outside world and know very little. To explain democracy, or freedom of religion, or religious supression to them is beyond what they can understand. Their world is very small. Their world consists of:

1. Get Tibet back and be as they were.
2. Dalai Lama will save the day, and no one else in the world can lead them.
3. Recite Om Mani Peme Hungs as much as possible to improve their lot in this life and the next.
4. How to get to US or Europe for a better life and make much more money.
5. Make sure the Dalai Lama is happy and not offended or you'll be ostracized.

Majority of Tibetans living in India and Nepal revolve around the 'GOLDEN FIVE THOUGHTS'. They are not concerned of Global warming, environmental degradation, world economy, wars in the middle east, alternative power sources, rise of China as a super power, or how to help quake victims in Japan, etc. Even if they knew more, they would not be concerned.

By the 'grace' of the Tibetan Govt they are still kept in peasant mode of thinking. The younger generation may have a better education, but the Tibetan Govt does not allow them to think, act, grow or expand. Besides the Dalai Lama, you have no Tibetans who are global force, thinkers, players of any sort. Tibetans do not affect the world as much as the Dalai Lama would like to think and hope so. His very presence as the Dalai Lama was a great unifying force in Tibet of old and kept Tibetans together. But in the modern world today, his role MUST CHANGE DRAMATICALLY. If the younger generation of Tibetans scattered throughout the globe were educated correctly, exposed and aware of events around the world besides their Tibet-centric focus, you would see more Tibetan Global players. But the sad fact is you don't. This leads directly to the failure of the Tibetan Govt in Exile in Dharamsala. Their biggest concern is to make Dalai Lama's star drawing power bigger so they can all make their private connections and move their families out of India and to the eventual safety all Tibetans crave fearing the eventual demise of Dalai Lama. This fear of what will happen to them after the Dalai Lama's death is unspoken as it's 'inauspicious' to talk of the Dalai Lama's death, in other words, treason.

The bigger the Dalai Lama becomes, the more benefits the cronies and subserviants would benefit naturally. Just like in old Tibet.

Dalai Lama holding onto power this long has not brought back independence of Tibet ( the land of milk and honey). Dalai Lama holding onto power has made Tibetan Buddhism mainstream and accepted but with the recent controversies such two Panchen Lamas, two Karmapas, Succession and Dorje Shugden has disappointed many truth be told.

There will be very little significant changes to the Tibetan Govt as long as the Dalai Lama is alive even with the election of the new prime minister or the devolvement of power by the Dalai Lama. Tibetan Buddhism will continue to grow because Dalai Lama is alive which is good. That is the dichotamy. I guess for the growth of Tibetan Buddhism, the Tibetan cause must be 'sacrificed' and remain unfulfilled.

Dorje Shugden's ban still will not go away, but start to fade with the new prime minister. As he is purely secular, let's hope he doesn't use the Tibetan govt to back up religious edicts as the Dalai Lama has been doing.
It's one thing when one Lama speaks up about a religious issue. It's another thing when the Tibetan Govt backs up the Lama's views and integrates it into their policies for their citizens. So and so Rinpoche may express this or that, but it will not become a govt policy. When Dalai Lama issued his ban, the govt fully 'supported' the ban all the way. The Tibetan constitution was amended to suit the ban. For example children of Dorje Shugden practitioners may not attend Tibetan schools. No other Lama after the Dalai Lama will be supported by the Tibetan Govt. In fact the Tibetan govt will fade after the demise of the Dalai Lama. Any other lamas speaking negatively about Dorje Shugden will be ignored or taken to court for defamation.

Surely the new prime minister will have to please the Dalai Lama for now,  but eventually he and his successors will have to shift his focus away from religious and more towards secular. That is when we shall see the ban fade. It is the beginning to the end.

TK

thaimonk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Its confirmed, whats next... Tibetan Parliament accepts Dalai Lama decision The Tibetan parliament has decided to honour the Dalai Lama’s decision to retire. A three-member committee of Tibetan MPs, headed by outgoing Prime Minister Dr Samdhong Rimpoche, on Wednesday tabled a report in parliament providing suggestions for amending the Charter for Tibetans-in-Exile. The 10-page report was read out by Rimpoche. The changes which the committee has proposed include giving more powers to the Tibetan Supreme Justice Commission, Speaker and Deputy Speaker. Rimpoche said that though the committee, comprising Deputy Speaker Gary Dolma and another MP, has agreed to recommend the amendments, the MPs need to go to the people and create a consensus since Tibetans want the Dalai Lama to lead them. On March 10, the 75-year-old Nobel prize winner had announced his decision to quit as the political head of the Tibetan government-in-exile.

from Danielle on Guestbook

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:16:22 PM »
I have just read this interesting news from facebook:

The name of the winner of the recent election, Mr. Lobsang Singey, has leaked through all over Tibetan settlements into the streets, even though the TGIE did not plan to release the results of Kalon Tripa elections until April 27. The overwhelming majority of the Tibetans voted for him – 29,253 leaving behind Tenzin Tethang with 18,415 votes and Tashi Wangdu – 8,967.

Lobsang Singey is an outsider of TGIE, and his victory with such a huge margin demonstrated that the Tibetans are fed up with the existing TGIE and the scandals around it for the last years.

Samdong Rinpoche’s speech in May 2010 in New York City expressed his fear that more and more Tibetan people start losing faith in Dalai Lama. He also mentioned that Rangzen (Tibetan for “Independence”) activists and democratic thinkers are more “dangerous” to Dalai Lama than Chinese communists and Shugden followers.

http://www.jamyangnorbu.com/blog/2010/09/10/dangerous-liaison-i/

Certainly Dalai Lama found himself on the same side with Chinese government and on the other side of his supporters in the whole world who had been expressing their support to him and Tibetan independence for the last 50 years.
It is obvious that the recent elections showed that Tibetan people do not want theocracy government any more. Dalai Lama was one step ahead to step down. If he waited then people would ask him to step down. ..

Shugden USA

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »
Oh My Buddha!!! This is really a piece of fresh and interesting news for decades!!!

It is almost like a prophesy coming true where by the Tibetan Govt and H.H. with all due respect will change, Dalai Lama will step down and no longer be the ruler life after life... this is Tibetan history in the making and what is most exciting is that the time for Dharmapala Dorje Shugden to arise is becoming more and more real! I remember TK once used to ask and pose such questions about when the Dalai Lama is old and he starts taking his leave and preparign for his next rebirth, what will the Tibetan then do or say.

Looks like most of them Tibetan are also tired of all the TGIE's games!

This makes me think, and I am convinced truly this whole drama about Dorje Shugden being evil, bad ban was all a premeditated mission by the Dalai Lama to prepare for DS to come in anda big way!!! And all this nonsense of a ban this anwill all surely fade and behold to open up the gateway for Dorje Shugden to just come to the world!

This new young, Lobsang Singey sounds more open and promising...

WoselTenzin

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »
Having Lobsang Sangay as the new Prime Minister of the TGIE sounds refreshing and promising for the future of Tibetans.  After decades of being governed by oppressive policies of Shugden ban and the fear of being ostracized for offending the Dalai Lama, Tibetans will for their first time experience a taste of real freedom and democracy. 

Even if not completely in the beginning, having a secular educated leader will send a message to other young progressive educated Tibetans, that the Tibetan communities do not always have to revolve around the Dalai Lama and his policies.  Things can change and there is hope for the future.

I am not sure how successful Lobsang Sangay is going to be but if the leadership of Tibet can be passed over to this young new leader who is attuned to the modern world and it's needs, it is an indication that the future of Tibetans is taking the right direction.  If and when he becomes the Prime Minister, if he is a true sincere leader out there to improve the lot of his country men, he would be dealing with so many real issues and the illogical senseless Shugden ban will be the least of his concern.  Eventually, the archaic Shugden ban policy would fade into oblivion...   

Roberto

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »
There are high hopes for the new prime minister. I just hope it won't be like Afghanistan's prime minister, a token puppet in place to satisfy international concerns and keep the situation under wraps and control.

You don't here anything about Afghanistan anymore do you? Would this be any different?

It sounds promising for now, but i were China I would be very concerned as the Tibetans generation today is very far removed from a spiritual background, they have influence of what other cultures and religions are doing for their causes (suicide bombing, international terrorism) all it takes is for them to just get more aggressive and they have a whole new ball game to deal with.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
There are high hopes for the new prime minister. I just hope it won't be like Afghanistan's prime minister, a token puppet in place to satisfy international concerns and keep the situation under wraps and control.

You don't here anything about Afghanistan anymore do you? Would this be any different?

It sounds promising for now, but i were China I would be very concerned as the Tibetans generation today is very far removed from a spiritual background, they have influence of what other cultures and religions are doing for their causes (suicide bombing, international terrorism) all it takes is for them to just get more aggressive and they have a whole new ball game to deal with.

Yes i have heard that actually the Dalai Lama is the one keeping the aggression of the Tibetan independence movement under control. So when the Dalai Lama steps down - now on the secular level and then spiritually when he passes - there is speculation that the leash on the pro-independence rebels will be released and there could be violent repercussions. Let's hope that Dorje Shugden protects Tibetans so that there are no casualties due to wrong views.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 07:17:03 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion as CHANGE is set in motion as we speak with the installation of a new Prime Minister, Lobsang Sangay.

This is what I have found about Lobsang Sangay from http://www.kalontripa.org/endorse/see-all-nominees/76.html

Lobsang Sangay la grew up in a Tibetan settlement and attended CST in Darjeeling. He completed his B.A. (Honors) and LLB from Delhi University. In 1992, he was elected as the youngest executive member of the Tibetan Youth Congress (CENTREX).

In 1996, as a Fulbright Scholar, he obtained Masters degree and in 2004, Doctorate in Law from Harvard Law School, the first Tibetan to receive this degree and his dissertation, Democracy and History of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile from 1959-2004 was awarded the Yong K. Kim' 95 Prize for Excellence. In 2005, he was granted waiver by the Department of Education to continue his academic work in the US.

Mr. Sangay is an expert on International Law, Democratic Constitutionalism, and Conflict Resolution. He has spoken in hundreds of seminars around the world and debated with renowned Chinese scholars from top universities in China and is well versed in contemporary Chinese politics and legal issues. He organized seven major conferences among Chinese, Tibetan, Indian and Western scholars including two unprecedented meeting between H.H. the Dalai Lama and Chinese scholars in 2003, and in 2009 at Harvard University.

In 2007, he was selected as one of the twenty-four Young Leaders of Asia by the Asia Society and a delegate to the World Justice Forum in Vienna, Austria, where top legal experts and judges from around the world congregate.

In 2008, he testified as an expert before the US Senate Foreign Relations Sub-committee on East Asia and Pacific Affairs, along with the United States Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte.

He regularly visits Dharamsala and interacts with Tibetan government officials at every level. He has given numerous lectures and workshops in and around Dharamsala and visited many of the Tibetan refugee settlements, monasteries and schools in India. He coordinates the Tibetan Nutritional Project aiding dozen schools in India through Sherig Lekhung.

Let us pray that Lobsang Sangay's expertise in "Democratic Constitutionalism, and Conflict Resolution" will translate into lifting the ban of Dorje Shugden and uniting the Tibetan community across the globe.

With or without regaining Tibet, all Tibetans-In-Exile should be 'guided' into the reality of the world as it really is. As long as they remain within the confines of Dharamsala and the exiled communities, they are not going to grow and develop in ways that would allow them to be independent and resourceful beyond HHDL.

As long as the Tibetans-In-Exile keep thinking and relying on one person to save them and resolve all their problems for them, they would never truly be free and independent even if they did regained Tibet. It is their mind set, more than anything else, that has been kept in exile from reality.

Ironically, because of what has transpired with the ban on Dorje Shugden and etc - all Dorje Shugden practitioners and Lamas have been forced to become independent and self-reliant. Funny enough, all DS practitioners and Lamas have learnt how to move on and are carving a place for themselves everywhere in the world. I can't say the same for those still living within the exiled community.

Helena

DharmaDefender

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
This is a very interesting discussion as CHANGE is set in motion as we speak with the installation of a new Prime Minister, Lobsang Sangay.

This is what I have found about Lobsang Sangay from http://www.kalontripa.org/endorse/see-all-nominees/76.html

Lobsang Sangay la grew up in a Tibetan settlement and attended CST in Darjeeling. He completed his B.A. (Honors) and LLB from Delhi University. In 1992, he was elected as the youngest executive member of the Tibetan Youth Congress (CENTREX).

In 1996, as a Fulbright Scholar, he obtained Masters degree and in 2004, Doctorate in Law from Harvard Law School, the first Tibetan to receive this degree and his dissertation, Democracy and History of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile from 1959-2004 was awarded the Yong K. Kim' 95 Prize for Excellence. In 2005, he was granted waiver by the Department of Education to continue his academic work in the US.

Mr. Sangay is an expert on International Law, Democratic Constitutionalism, and Conflict Resolution. He has spoken in hundreds of seminars around the world and debated with renowned Chinese scholars from top universities in China and is well versed in contemporary Chinese politics and legal issues. He organized seven major conferences among Chinese, Tibetan, Indian and Western scholars including two unprecedented meeting between H.H. the Dalai Lama and Chinese scholars in 2003, and in 2009 at Harvard University.

In 2007, he was selected as one of the twenty-four Young Leaders of Asia by the Asia Society and a delegate to the World Justice Forum in Vienna, Austria, where top legal experts and judges from around the world congregate.

In 2008, he testified as an expert before the US Senate Foreign Relations Sub-committee on East Asia and Pacific Affairs, along with the United States Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte.

He regularly visits Dharamsala and interacts with Tibetan government officials at every level. He has given numerous lectures and workshops in and around Dharamsala and visited many of the Tibetan refugee settlements, monasteries and schools in India. He coordinates the Tibetan Nutritional Project aiding dozen schools in India through Sherig Lekhung.

His story sounds like what many of my mates have gone through. Born in settlements, given scholarships to schools and universities, and then go off to the States to study something to do with politics or democracy or human rights.

Let's hope he makes good for the Tibetan people.

As much as I lambast the TGIE for their failure to take care of their people, I have to admit that for the privileged few, they do have access to many opportunities because a lot of nations and educational institutions sympathise with their stateless plight.

Having said that, the goodwill can't last forever, especially in the light of suppressing Dorje Shugden practitioners. Sooner or later, the TGIE is going to start losing foreign support.

Yes i have heard that actually the Dalai Lama is the one keeping the aggression of the Tibetan independence movement under control. So when the Dalai Lama steps down - now on the secular level and then spiritually when he passes - there is speculation that the leash on the pro-independence rebels will be released and there could be violent repercussions. Let's hope that Dorje Shugden protects Tibetans so that there are no casualties due to wrong views.

That's true...news like this (http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/news/tibet/1582-china-arrests-3-monks-in-tibet-heavy-restrictions-placed) has been filtering out more and more in recent times.

Since Nangpa La, there have been rumblings that groups (especially involving the youth) want a more aggressive approach towards China. It's a bit ironic since more often than not, the ones who want an aggressive approach have never stepped foot in Tibet before. Why fight for something you have never experienced or don't fully understand?

To be honest, I think the government should be more focused on keeping their people happy wherever they are, right here, right now. Makes more sense that way.

thaimonk

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
There are groups within the Exiled Tibetan communities who wish to be more violent or more virulent in their approach to Tibetan Independence, but it is ill founded.

They are too little in number, no financial backing and no backing from any government in the world. What government will benefit from a Free Tibet? No one. Why would anyone put resources towards this? Not practical.

What everyone wants now is a stable China. If Dalai Lama passes and Tibetans try their hands at violence, it will be pure suicide and no one will come to their aid. It is better to work with the Chinese within Tibet to preserve the religion, culture and unique way of life. After all a preserved Tibetan culture will benefit China also. I do not agree with China taking over Tibet decades ago, but we have to work with the current situation and the actual circumstances. Reality is important to face now. I am sorry for the many Tibetans that have suffered, but we must work a solution that no more will suffer in the future.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
There are groups within the Exiled Tibetan communities who wish to be more violent or more virulent in their approach to Tibetan Independence, but it is ill founded.

They are too little in number, no financial backing and no backing from any government in the world. What government will benefit from a Free Tibet? No one. Why would anyone put resources towards this? Not practical.

Whenever there is a change in government or a civil war or when a nation is overtaken by another nation, there will always be sections of society who wish that things were how they used to be, not realising that everything is impermanent. These pockets of resistance become domestic terrorists who can continue for centuries and aside from causing pain and destruction to small and usually innocent sections of society, do not achieve anything for their cause. It is quite sad how much anger and bitterness people hold because they are unable to accept that things have changed.

What everyone wants now is a stable China. If Dalai Lama passes and Tibetans try their hands at violence, it will be pure suicide and no one will come to their aid. It is better to work with the Chinese within Tibet to preserve the religion, culture and unique way of life. After all a preserved Tibetan culture will benefit China also. I do not agree with China taking over Tibet decades ago, but we have to work with the current situation and the actual circumstances. Reality is important to face now. I am sorry for the many Tibetans that have suffered, but we must work a solution that no more will suffer in the future.

I agree that to work with the current situation is the best way forward. There have been so many 'protests' and support from international leaders of nations, yet there have been no results. China is too big an economic power in the world today, and sad to say, economics rule. Sometimes it is better to work with the system rather than against it in order to achieve the bigger goal of peace and harmony.