Author Topic: How does Protectors such as Dorje Shugden clear obstacles?  (Read 18867 times)

Positive Change

Re: How does Protectors such as Dorje Shugden clear obstacles?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
There are two ways that protectors help to clear our obstacles

1) no, a protector cannot just take away our karma and cancel out our karma. What protectors can do however, is to hold back a particular karma from manifesting at a particular time. This "buys us time" to practice and purify our karma so that it doesn't not ripen or, even if it does, the obstacle is not as disastrous or difficult as it would have been.

2) by doing protector practices - such as Dorje Shugden's, for example, who is one with Manjushri - we are also making offerings and prayers directly to an enlightened being. The merit we gain is incredible. At the same time, we open inherent imprints of Dharma. Together, this makes it easier for us to understand the Dharma teachings when we receive them. It also becomes easier for us to put these teachings into practice because we have the merit to support the practice. At the same time, before obstacles are removed (or lessened), there is more opportunity for us to practice. When we receive the teachings, practice, gain realisations then ultimately, we are able to gain the wisdom and means to remove our own obstacles.

Ultimately, this is what we aim for. What is wonderful about Dharma protector practice is that they don't just remove our problems with a magic wand. They "arm" us with the ability and merit and eventually, the wisdom to be able to remove them ourselves.

What I believe it means by our Protector such as Dorje Shugden clearing obstacles is precisely as Beggar has explained brilliantly. To add, I heard a brilliant analogy on this:

Karma is like a river from the mountains flowing right through the middle of a village. Come a certain time of the year the snow cap mountains will melt and a flood is inevitable. Clearing of obstacles is like creating trenches that circumnavigate around the village. The deluge still happens but is "diverted" safely avoiding the village. Hence the karma (heavy flow of water rushing down the river) still happens but is "avoided".

An illustration of this analogy to the best of my understanding is as follows:

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »
Dear positive change, I like how you put in such a simple manner how protectors help to clear our obstacles. I am also very glad that I have found a protector in Dorje Shugden who is enlightened and one with Manjushri. Although no one (not even Buddha) can take away our negative karma, I am certainly glad there is a method that can help purify/lighten my negative karmas so that even if it ripens, the magnitude would not be as big as it might be according to the law of cause and effect. I am putting my full trust in Dorje Shugden to guide me along my spiritual path.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
From my understanding, a Dharma protector can remove obstacles in a few ways: by diverting the karma so that it ripens in the future, causing the karma to ripen where we can easily reverse it or challenging and training us up to face the karma so that when the karma comes we can handle it with ease and it does not come as a huge obstacle, so huge that it affects our Dharma practice or cut us off from Dharma practice for good. Do correct me if I am wrong.

dsiluvu

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »
It is really super amazing that we have Dharma and Dharma protectors to guide us through the course of our spiritual path especially one who is Manjushri. Not only does He protect us He also shed light of wisdom which is the main key to clearing our own obstacles because at the end of the day we create our own karmas. Dorje Shugden can only help so much in manipulating it, holding it and protecting us from experiencing the full swing of it all, but ultimately we are our own protector through the very actions we create daily. If we are not practicing Dharma and doing more negative then positive, even we chant mantras it is not going to help, knowing highly attained Lamas is also not going to help.

However, we ought to be glad and feel fortunate we do have some an upper hand because we do have a kind powerful Protector that would and could help us if we practice Dharma well; which is having a kind, compassionate heart well. It helps us speed the things we want achieve up tremendously fast.

The picture that you drew Positive change is a perfect analogy to explain how protector helps us - thank you.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
It is really super amazing that we have Dharma and Dharma protectors to guide us through the course of our spiritual path especially one who is Manjushri. Not only does He protect us He also shed light of wisdom which is the main key to clearing our own obstacles because at the end of the day we create our own karmas. Dorje Shugden can only help so much in manipulating it, holding it and protecting us from experiencing the full swing of it all, but ultimately we are our own protector through the very actions we create daily. If we are not practicing Dharma and doing more negative then positive, even we chant mantras it is not going to help, knowing highly attained Lamas is also not going to help.

However, we ought to be glad and feel fortunate we do have some an upper hand because we do have a kind powerful Protector that would and could help us if we practice Dharma well; which is having a kind, compassionate heart well. It helps us speed the things we want achieve up tremendously fast.

The picture that you drew Positive change is a perfect analogy to explain how protector helps us - thank you.

Dorje Shugden may not be classified as a Yidam, but he certainly does behave as one as he can take trance of Duldzin and then give a Dharma talk or an initiation. I wouldnt want to miss out on this special Dharma protector just to be on the side of the Dalai Lama -- what do I get? I am right, I am on the popular side but at the end of the day I have to face my obstacles and lose out on the many benefits that Dorje Shugden can offer. I'd definitely take Dorje Shugden's side anytime.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
This question is asked often and different experiences by different practitioners will have different answers.

There are lively explanations for how the process of purification of negative karma by Protector Dorje Shugden.

My personal experience is that purification comes in many forms sometimes with illnesses, sometimes with some form misfortune.  However with consistent daily recitation of the Dorje Shugden prayers and gaining merits with virtuous deeds, the negativities can be reduced and purified.

With consistent good living with virtuous acts and compassion, negative karma can be suppressed and positivities enhanced.

I believe this is the way Protector Dorje Shugden clear obstacles.  And you may have a completely different experience.   

grandmapele

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 02:48:33 AM »
Thank you, Beggar and DharmaDefender for putting it clearly. Many a times I had the same problem of how to put the teachings in layman terms such that it is clear. All the Buddhas help us to find the path, follow it and eventually find our inner Buddha.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
Grandmapele, great deduction on how the Protector helps us to clear obstacles.  As per the Buddha's teachings, Buddhism shows the methods and way to purification.  You follow the path and with realisations, you can avert calamities or lessen the ripening of negative Karma.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 03:34:26 AM »
They bless us with a ferocious appetite for realizations so much so that we change the label 'obstacles' to 'fuel for realizations - the meaning of life'

Homage to the Lama, whose kindness in revealing such magic cannot be matched!

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
Thank you Chokyi Dorje for such a great description of how our Protector clear our obstacles.  From perceived obstacles to fuel for realisations.  The genuine Buddhist way by looking at "things" in a positive and enlightening way. Reminds me of my Guru's teaching of NOTHING CHANGES BUT EVERYTHING CHANGES.

And all I thought was the removal of obstacles is by purification. What a low level of thought, even there is some truth to my ignorant thinking.