Author Topic: Geshe Yeshe Wangchuk  (Read 7941 times)

DharmaSpace

Geshe Yeshe Wangchuk
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=6754
This is quite a rare find on this lama. Has his new incarnation been discovered yet? 

Really liked the fact that he climbed trees to memorize more philosophical texts. Falling asleep is something like getting beaten by Zen Masters with a bog stick  when we doze off! what determination.

triesa

Re: Geshe Yeshe Wangchuk
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
All great lamas do share one common character.......that is their amazing discipline. Geshe Yeshe Wangchuk is another shinning example.

"He would recite his texts from memory late into the night, and to keep himself from falling asleep would perch high in a tree, or on a large boulder, where the self-imposed punishment for dozing off would be a nasty fall. In this manner Geshe Wangchuk was able to commit to memory literally thousands of pages of the original works, and became something of a walking encyclopedia."

True effort and perserverance!!! Very inspiring.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
Apart from amazing discipline, another distinguishing characteristic of all great Lamas is having deep guru devotion.  Geshe Wangchuk is no exception.

"The most important part of any Buddhist’s life is the success of his relationship with his spiritual instructors, and in his autobiography Geshe Wangchuk describes his studies under some thirty great religious teachers. In his usual modest way he concludes that “On the good side, I have never once in my life deprecated one of my lamas; and yet, on the bad side, I don’t feel that I was able to pay proper service to any one of them either.”

All great Lamas and practitioners are born from deep Guru devotion. This has never failed to inspire me.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
Apart from amazing discipline, another distinguishing characteristic of all great Lamas is having deep guru devotion.  Geshe Wangchuk is no exception.

"The most important part of any Buddhist’s life is the success of his relationship with his spiritual instructors, and in his autobiography Geshe Wangchuk describes his studies under some thirty great religious teachers. In his usual modest way he concludes that “On the good side, I have never once in my life deprecated one of my lamas; and yet, on the bad side, I don’t feel that I was able to pay proper service to any one of them either.”

All great Lamas and practitioners are born from deep Guru devotion. This has never failed to inspire me.

Someone once told me that no matter how difficult things get for her, she only needs to think of how much more her Guru has to put up with, and it inspires her to keep on going. If we're so difficult and give our Gurus such a hard time, Jesus - our Guru's got hundreds more students just like us. If we can be one less burden...

I think one of the greatest things about having a Guru is that even if you really don't care about anyone else, you still get that chance to practise looking outwards. From that one person, you can train in cutting your self-cherishing mind and slowly spread that selflessness towards others. It gives everyone a chance of getting out of our cycle of me, me, me.

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
The great, highly accomplished, illustrious master Geshe Yeshe Wangchuk, ends his poem with :
It’s though a thing that makes me sad
That if you really check
You’ll find I’ve not the slightest
Thing to show you now.

What an extraordinary being. He's achieved such great feat over all delusions and maras, developed enlightened qualities, pure heart of compassion and great wisdom yet it is not enough for him.... I would think because samsara is still not emptied of suffering beings.

What have I achieved today that truly has any positive, lasting effects on anyone, yet I basks in satisfaction?!

Reading biographies of great masters is so penetrative and inspiring yet it hurts... in a very good way.

May all the lamas have long life and continue to turn the wheel of dharma to show the way.

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
I really love to read about these great masters because their determination is real human determination and not something supernatural. More often than not, we lack role models like these in the media. Rock stars and rich, spoilt heiress always hog the limelight. It is very rare to have real role models to inspire people and even less religious people that inspire spirituality in the masses. Many of these masters are so humble and much of their accomplishments and life stories are not told and sometimes not many people know about them. It is good to talk and find out about great masters and read about their life stories. It inspires and liberates us from doubt, delusion and laziness. That is why the Tibetans call these special biographies, Namthar or 'liberating stories'

thaimonk

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Great beings always have great guru devotion.
Great perseverance.
Adversity never turns them away.
Have great patience.
Care more about others spontaneously than themselves.
Never get involved with disparaging other lamas, lineages or traditions
In the case of Dorje Shugden great lamas, never speak a negative word against ppl who surpress them
Practice their commitments in secret and without any politics
Their aim and purpose is firmly set
Their whole lives from a young age is about Dharma
Exhibit a soft heart ready to assist whenever they can
Forgive ppl that damage or hurt them in an instance
Practice what they have learned
Achieve the 'impossible'
Makes us look deep into ourselves inspiring us to push to do more
Keeps their words of honour more protected than their own eyes

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
Great beings always have great guru devotion.
Great perseverance.
Adversity never turns them away.
Have great patience.
Care more about others spontaneously than themselves.
Never get involved with disparaging other lamas, lineages or traditions
In the case of Dorje Shugden great lamas, never speak a negative word against ppl who surpress them
Practice their commitments in secret and without any politics
Their aim and purpose is firmly set
Their whole lives from a young age is about Dharma
Exhibit a soft heart ready to assist whenever they can
Forgive ppl that damage or hurt them in an instance
Practice what they have learned
Achieve the 'impossible'
Makes us look deep into ourselves inspiring us to push to do more
Keeps their words of honour more protected than their own eyes

Dear Thaimonk
It's beautiful how you capture the essence and quality of great beings. These qualities of great beings are shared throughout any faith.

Dorje Shugden an incredibly, great being has all these qualities. Example, this ban and persecution against him and his people has been ongoing for yearsssss yet, he's never said any negative thing against his prosecutors.