Author Topic: Very wrathful Sakya text used by Nyingmapas in nepal  (Read 9363 times)

Mohani

• duldzin
Very wrathful Sakya text used by Nyingmapas in nepal
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »
Hello Folks,
I have just got round to digitalizing this text from 'Himalyan Dialogue'. I have been meaning to for a long time, but as I am not much of a typer I didn't get round to it. Just come across some good free software for making scanned images editable text, this might be helpful for some of you Scholar types...
http://www.topocr.com/topocr.html

Local Text of Srungma rDo-rje Shugs-ldan

Rdo-rje Shugs-ldan mchod-thabs gsol-kha

("Method of offering-petitioning rDo-rje Shugs-ldan"; translated

from a photographed copy of a householder's Srungma text in Tshap

village)

In accord with the sacred action of the victorious one using magical powers [mthu] to protect the dharma: when you have the need to make offerings to rGyal-chen [rGyal-po Shugs-ldan], face your preferred direction at the altar of your lama and tutelary and guardian deities, both general and particular, all before your eyes. In a jeweled container, set the chief torma, surrounded by four small tormas.

The chief torma should be decorated with colorful butter decorations. Visualize an ocean of blood in which there is a human skull and human heart. Decorate the torma further with flames of fire, visualizing boiling blood. If possible put up a red umbrella-cloth over it. To the right side, place a medicinal first fruit offering. Put the ingredients of oath binding to the left, adding raw meat to the blood (or beer). in front of this, set up a triangular torma and set up the offering bowls. Then set up the ritual paraphernalia such as the dorje and thigh bone trumpet. Before you begin the rite, sprinkle water and beer, as a preparation for the practice of generating the god as yourself [bdag-bskyed ], and generating the god before you [mdun bskyed].

From the midst of emptiness [stong-pa nang ne] inside the skull container is a pleasant-appearing torma, scented, tasty, of good quality. It is formed out of the flesh and blood of the enemy harmer [dgra-bgegs]. May this turn into an ocean of nectar.

From the midst of emptiness a black wind arises in the shape of a dome, in the middle of which is the syllable Thi. From this syllable arises rDo-rje Shugsldan, the great king and protector of the dharma. The color of his face is dark red, he has two hands, the right raised to the sky, the left holding a skull containing blood and a human heart. This he holds as his [own] heart. He rides a black horse. The emanations surrounding him are unimaginable.

From your heart [the performer's] you radiate light rays as you welcome rDorie Shugs-ldan.

Please come from your great house of god, with your retinue, to fulfill the requests of the performer and protect the truth of the Buddha. rDo-rje Shugs-ldan, protector of the region, I offer to you and to your warring retinue the entire envisioned world. Please accept this and protect the Buddha dharma.

To increase the prestige of the Buddha, dharma, and sangha, and protect the religious will of the sangha, be our protector and that of our surrounding people. From this moment, until I am enlightened, the obstructions that hinder attainment of the Bodhisattva mind—bodily and mental sickness and misery—may all be dissipated. May you have human wealth, food, life, and good fortune.

Hear this and meditate on it, realize it within yourself. Follow this sacred work. May you be to us as guru to disciple, and may your retinue subdue the enemy harmers. May all your thoughts be compatible so that your religious practices may be fulfilled.

Praise to you the fearsome, quick fulfiller of desires, you great king. Through your emanation power you can travel in one second through the three worlds of emptiness (stong-gsum) to fulfill whatever you have been entrusted with without hesitation.

Hail to the great king and his retinue. Anything you remember in your mind, whatever you think of even without asking, he provides it. Religion protector and wish-fulfilling gem, please fulfill all my desires, without leaving out anything. Particularly in this life, bless me with long life, no disease, with a downpour of nine desires, may my treasure house be filled. May you subdue the people of Tibet and India and then multiply their prosperity. May the three worlds [sa gsum] tremble, may I obtain all my wishes.

From the midst of emptiness, from a perfectly wrathful house, the external, internal, and secret modes of hindrance [sickness, mental suffering, meditation hindrances] may they be put into the torma as the flesh and blood of the enemy harmers. May this be transformed through visualization into an ocean of nectar, consisting of all the perfections, encompassing all qualities in order to please the great king; the offerings becoming heaps of clouds that fill up the sky.

From the palace, in an ocean of blood of fire, wind, and commotion, I welcome rDo-rje Shugs-ldan and his followers, the great protector of the region, who protects the dharma and prevents its destruction. Please fulfill the sacred work in order to repel external and internal enemies of the ten regions. Please come immediately from the four directions to fulfill your orders, with the force of your army: the emanations of Za [Rahula], bdud, the eight brothers, butchers and blood drinkers.

Your palace walls are built with wrathful, arrogant, and frightening human skulls, and from human intestines, lungs, hearts. The bone marrow is burned as a burnt offering, with Shugs-ldan and his retinue sitting in the midst of the smoke of this offering. You, the dharma protector of the victorious one, remember your oath of initiation given by Khro-ba rGyal-po [lama of the Sakyapa sect] before whom you made your promise, agreeing to take responsibility not to transgress your promise. May the life of the dharma beholder be long. May the practitioner of religion, his group, and his wealth be protected.

You, dharma protector of the victorious one, before your eyes, the external,
internal, and secret offerings are made to you. The external offering is black yak, sheep, bird, red dog. The internal offering is red horse, monkey. The secret offering is the Wheel of Life, the offerings on the altar representing body, speech, and mind. By offering these, the dharma protector's desires are fulfilled. May his order fulfillers, Za, bdud, and butcher, also be filled, and may their deteriorations be restored.

The very red greasy blood, like the ocean and the five senses, the flame, piled up like the mountain [Mount Meru], the meat and marrow in the burning smoke, fills up space like clouds. Butter lamps shine like the sun and moon. These wrathful offerings are set up either in reality or they are imagined. May your minds be filled.

In the spacious light derived from the syllable Ra arises a special container with the flesh and blood of the enemy that is repelled from the ten regions. From this meat and blood is built a red torma, big as the hill and the ocean, obtained in actuality or in the imagination. I offer this, having blessed it with a mantra. I pray that your mind may be filled, charmed by the beautiful sounds of the blowing of the trumpets.

The eight auspicious signs and the eight ingredients and the five qualities of your desires, the totally victorious Great House, with gardens and ponds, with fruits growing without cultivation, where there [also] exists the Wish-fulfilling Tree on Mount Meru, surrounded by the four continents and their seven jeweled subsidiary continents, with all the available wealth of India and Tibet: gold, silver, clothes, jewels, the snow lion, tigers, leopards, bears, apes, owls, wild birds that cry when frightened, birds that move in the night, and countless animals that can talk like humans. With all this may your mind be filled.

There is a horse with telepathic knowledge, the color of the jungle and of the rays of the sun. The saddle of the horse is beautified with the five kinds of jewels. There is also a red male yak, like the color of a cloud, agitated like fire and wind; when its tail waves the three worlds tremble. There is the ferocious cry of a dragon, decorated with soft, beautiful cloth, and there is a golden-eyed elephant, and snow lion: all are dharma protectors.

Other offerings consist of sword, gun, armor, bow and arrow, iron hook, sling, bell, all sorts of offerings needed in this cyclical existence of wealth. Whether the sponsor owns these weapons or not, I offer them to you. Thus bestow on us all kinds of luck, bestow on us the Tree of Life, and unending wealth. May we be possessed of faith, studious, and compassionate. All those capable of preserving the dharma, may they be vessels for continuing the tradition like the summer ocean that overflows. May we overpower the kings of India, Tibet, Mongolia, and their kingdoms, ministers, subjects, and wealth as well as their Srungmas. By doing so, may we spread the dharma to people with inferior faith and intelligence too inferior for meritorious acts, and with no opportunity to practice the dharma. May all their minds be directed to the dharma.

The enemy harmers and those who conspire against us, whose oaths of allegiance have deteriorated, you, the powerful one, repel them in the name of religion, without delaying a single month in the year, and put them under my control. Fulfill whatever I wish as my friend, spreading the dharma without deterioration.

May persons like us have long life in all lands of the world, and in this land
in particular. Don't afflict them with diseases, don't send harms to domestic animals, don't send hail storms or drought for our crops. May we as wisdom holders have long life and have our wishes fulfilled.

rDo-rje Shugs-ldan, the time has come to display your power and talent. The force of your btsan army and four garrisons: command them to be harsh! Gather more force, don't hesitate. Don't be impartial. Repel the hated enemy and harming agents by the spirit of religion. Resort to wrathful acts! Blow fire of red and black. Don't belittle your own power and capacity. Subdue the enemy force. Join forces with the gods, the btsan, and others; make as much wrathful noise as possible! Set out in your unending wrathful war against those who destroy the Buddha dharma, those who drag down the prestige of the Buddha, dharma, and sangha, those who harm the body of the lama, the vajra holder.

Whatever schemes they do, wherever they live, whether above ground or underground, with great power and force, destroy them completely! Repel bad dreams and evil thoughts in the subjects. May you repel rGyal-gong, 'dre, and btsan: may their magical weapons [Zor] be repelled. Their evil thoughts, like poison that is softly and sweetly spoken but has evil designs, may they be repelled. Repel also the curses of women and the 420 types of sicknesses.

From the midst of a boiling ocean of blood, may the great king take ferocious form, repelling all enemies and harmers. Destroy the enemy completely. Kill them immediately. Send the butcher killers and blood drinkers to the land of the enemy and kill them right off. Reduce them to dust! Fulfill my requests. Whatever you speak, like the roar of a thousand dragons, may the hearing of it destroy all the enemy harmers of the ten regions. Even if their life force is made of diamonds, may they be reduced to dust.

Protect the dharma in general, and in particular the Sakyapas. I praise you, who have agreed to be the Srungma of the Sakyapas.

Midakpa

Re: Very wrathful Sakya text used by Nyingmapas in nepal
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
Thank you for taking the trouble to send us this text and the source. It is very kind of you. It is very interesting and very useful for research on Dorje Shugden practices.

honeydakini

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
THIS IS FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing this.

I really did not know that Nyingmapas used any text related to Dorje Shugden, least of all propitiated and prayed to him. This is beautiful to see how Dorje Shugden was so highly revered by other schools - in other words, but Dharma practitioners in general, full stop... no matter which school they are/were from. This is the way it should be!

This is what saddens me - that in spite of very clear evidence like this, DS / DS practitioners are accused of being sectarian.

I'm still trying to find any conclusive evidence or information on how this can be at all true and on what basis is this claim being made at all?

Does anyone have any idea of this? I mean, apart from the Yellow book... what is their basis (whether accurate / logical or not) for making all these accusations about DS being a sectarian practice / DS practitioners being sectarian? Can anyone share?

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »
I'm still trying to find any conclusive evidence or information on how this can be at all true and on what basis is this claim being made at all?

Does anyone have any idea of this? I mean, apart from the Yellow book... what is their basis (whether accurate / logical or not) for making all these accusations about DS being a sectarian practice / DS practitioners being sectarian? Can anyone share?

"A leader, or a man of action, in a crisis almost always acts subconsciously
and then thinks of the reasons for his action."
-- Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964)

I'm nowadays inclined to think that the Dalai Lama simply reacted to something (maybe to the Yellow Book) back then, and later tried to find some reasons for his knee-jerk reaction. For after all, all the reasons for the ban are sheer madness, but as he is the DL, he could not say that he had made a bad decision on the spot, so he just had to invent all kinds of insanities as "reasons".

honeydakini

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »

"A leader, or a man of action, in a crisis almost always acts subconsciously
and then thinks of the reasons for his action."
-- Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964)

I'm nowadays inclined to think that the Dalai Lama simply reacted to something (maybe to the Yellow Book) back then, and later tried to find some reasons for his knee-jerk reaction. For after all, all the reasons for the ban are sheer madness, but as he is the DL, he could not say that he had made a bad decision on the spot, so he just had to invent all kinds of insanities as "reasons".

haha I like what you said there!
Also, this means you do not know of any conclusive evidence at all that has pointed towards these claims? (cos i don't know of anyone who has - so for now, all those claims seem to be pulled out of people's behinds!)

I'm just wondering what can be used to refute these claims that DS practitioners or DS practice in general are sectarian? Anti-DS supporters like to bring up the Yellow Book and throw the line "Well you respect Trijang Rinpoche don't you? You support Trijang Rinpoche don't you? Well the yellow book is from his teachings, so how come you don't believe him then?" It becomes a bit of a logger-heads situation because one side takes these teaching from the yellow book and the other (for example, me) takes the teachings where Trijang Rinpoche clearly states that Dorje Shugden is an emanation of a Buddha, Manjushri. Then we get stuck....! Any advice on how to go forward? Or to counter arguments using the yellow book as basis of sectarian accusations?

a friend

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »

Dear Honeydakini,

Maybe the secret is not to get stuck in sterile discussions. I bet you something that none among those who talk about the Yellow Book ever read it. When they start to brandish that weapon turn your back and walk away, you do not need to debate with people who are brainwashed as most Dalai Lama followers are. Where is the benefit to such discussions? They are mostly an opportunity for breaking our basic vows of morality concerning speech.

No matter what, the answer to the Yellow Book is the following:
What on Earth does a book by a single monk --a book not published for the public, a book that was just  addressed to some Lamas, a book that didn't even have a translation-- become the pretext for a ban that has caused such enormous harm to Buddhadharma and sentient beings? That's all.

Nobody has the right to use the pretext of a book to crack down on an entire portion of a society and to destroy the religious freedom of its members. Nobody should be segregated by their fellow monks, by their neighbors, by everybody ... out of fear or out of fanatical adherence to the Dalai Lama.

Read the last reports from our Charitable Society. There you will have plenty of reasons that you can use in a debate. But Honeydakini, don't waste your time. For the moment it's useless to try to convince the followers of the Dalai Lama. Imagine that you yorself believe (until further notice) that his actions were a type of enlightened secret plan for spreading the Budhadharma ... what would you expect from others?

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
Which sort of means, that the publication of Yellow Book was a bad move, or was it? I mean, wasn't it meant for a closed circulation, not for the public? If so, the original mistake was in making it's contents public? So who started to openly discuss the secret contents?

Robert Thomas

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
Dear Trinley Kelsang-la

I think if you follow Geshe Kelsang's short teaching on the Yellow Book there is no need to dis-avow anything Trijang Rinpoche taught. In this short advice Geshe Kelsang doesn't teach what The Meaning of the Yellow book is, but he does clearly teach what it is not. Because his reasons are absolutely sound and because Trijang Rinpoche was of course a peerless logician we can be certain there would be no difference between the two on these points.

Here us the link:
http://www.dharmaprotector.org/yellow-book.html

At the same time we can only wonder how the words in this book might have been used by a teacher of such limitless skillfull means to benefit living beings by working with their individual karma.

honeydakini

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
Dear Trinley Kelsang-la

I think if you follow Geshe Kelsang's short teaching on the Yellow Book there is no need to dis-avow anything Trijang Rinpoche taught. In this short advice Geshe Kelsang doesn't teach what The Meaning of the Yellow book is, but he does clearly teach what it is not. Because his reasons are absolutely sound and because Trijang Rinpoche was of course a peerless logician we can be certain there would be no difference between the two on these points.

Here us the link:
http://www.dharmaprotector.org/yellow-book.html

At the same time we can only wonder how the words in this book might have been used by a teacher of such limitless skillfull means to benefit living beings by working with their individual karma.

Thank you very much Robert Thomas for sharing this link. It is really helpful to read this comment on the Yellow Book which for a change, is not negative, bashing or attacking.

I like particularly what Geshe Kelsang Gyatso said about the stories being superstitions and this I'm sure is not at all unlikely, considering the background that many Tibetans had come from, being based upon spirit practices/ and the more shamanistic Bon beliefs etc. What is interesting is that there is never any direct proven link between the death of those Lamas and the practice of Dorje Shugden. The stories always draw a very vague connection. "He practised Nyingma practices ... and then he died! oh, it must be Dorje Shugden's practice!" which in itself doesn't show anything conclusive.

I agree with you that it must be one of Trijang Rinpoche's most skilful means in working with beings' individual karma.

Geronimo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »
We are the Apostles of Shri Dorje Shugden, The Supreme Dharma Protector of Lord Je T'Song Khapa's Teachings. Brought Down To Us Preserved Exactly as Written With Pure and Pristine Clarity,
In the Moment Lord Buddha Spoke!

We Maintain and Protect Je T'Song Khapa's Teachings!
Lord Shugden request Your Participation
Or did you have something else to do?

And Buddha Spoke.....you should listen....

Serenity and generosity are qualities of the heart. Insight and Concentration are qualities of the mind. Compassion and wisdom are qualities of the ture nature. ~ Heart of A Buddha
There are three ways to correct our faults: We can change through behavior. We can change through understanding. We can change from the heart. ~ Heart of A Buddha
The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings. ~Buddha
What I know is like the leaves on that tree; what I teach is only a small part. But I offer it to all with an open hand. What do I not teach? Whatever is fascinating to discuss, divides people against each other, but has no bearing on putting an end to sorrow. What do I teach? Only what is necessary to take you to the other shore. ~The Buddha
"Reverence, humility, contentment, gratitude, and the timely hearing of the Dhamma, the teaching of the Buddha — this is the highest blessing. ~Buddha
If the causes we create arise from wisdom, so then will the results. If the causes we create arise from ignorance, so then will the results. -Heart of A Buddha
"victory breeds hatred. The defeated live in pain. Happily the peaceful live, giving up victory and defeat." ~The Buddha
Happiness and tranquility arise from concentration. Frustration and worries arise from desire. -Heart of A Buddha
When threatened with danger, men go to many a refuge, - to mountains and forests, to parks and gardens, and to sacred trees. But such a refuge is not a safe refuge, not the best refuge. One is not liberated from all evil consequences of existence (dukkha) for having come to such a refuge. ~Dhammapada

8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:10:26 PM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Robert Thomas

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
Ok here's how it looks to me. Of course people have the right to believe anything. But in the yellow book it seems there are two possibilities, based on the belief that our lineage Gurus hold pure refuge:

1) The stories are true and therefore Dorje Shugden is a Buddha whose actions arise from omniscient wisdom, not sectarianism.
2) the stories are superstions because these Lamas held pure refuge so the scenarios described would be impossible.

It is impossible that our lineage masters taught the second view as true because by so doing they would undermine the whole basis of our lineage (as pure Buddhadharma). As it is we believe Dorje Shugden is a Buddha but I at least have never had a teaching which makes any sense of the stories in the Yellow book in that context. Maybe Dzeme Tulku's students have and of course they have the right to practice that teaching, which according to point 1, by definition cannot be sectarian.

a friend

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »

That is the problem with texts taken out of context and used for politics.

Most possibly all those terrifying stories were meant for young or immature monks ... a cultural thing.
We don´t imagine how ordinary could be some of the people surrounding our great Lamas, back in Tibet.
I can´t forget something that Je Pabongka says to his public, a large gathering of monks and Rinpoches, when he gave the 24 days teachings on the Lamrim. He said to them: “One thing I´m happy about is that this teaching I´m going to give you, you cannot use it to go to the houses of people in Mongolia and try to obtain money from it” ... This is raw. This means that we, ignorant Westerners, are spoiled rotten with the holy Gurus we had and we think everybody was like them back in Shangrila. But no. It was not like that. Our Gurus had to tame the minds of people that were, for example, travelling around and selling Dharma ... and this is only one example.

Try and find a book written by the famous painter and philosopher Nicholas Roerich early last century. You will learn a thing or two about what he saw in Tibet, about the behaviour of what he called “the lamas”, who were in fact monks, not teachers ... appalling. Mind you, Roerich was captivated and loved very much the Panchen Lama, so we are not talking about an enemy of buddhism, on the contrary. But that was the reality. So we don´t know the weight of the skilful means that our holy Lamas had to use to scare those people out of their bad behaviour, in order for them to have an opportunity to liberation.

So let´s forget the Yellow Book and any other scripture that contains those types of stories, they were written for people that we don´t know, in circumstances that we know only dimly.

It is the responsibility of the one sitting in Dharamsala to have brought that book to public knowledge, playing with the fact that we are ignorants of the cultural background, and mainly, ignorants of the categories of interpretive and definite meaning in the scriptures.

And as I said to Honeydakini, we should not let ourselves, neither here nor in other Forum, be dragged into debating these things. For one monumental reason: there is no scripture nor book that justifies the cruel persecution and segregation of an entire segment of the Tibetan population by the rest of the Tibetan population following the orders of their political leader the Dalai Lama.

This is an attack on the human rights of so many innocent people. And it is not in the past, it´s today. So don´t let yourselves be confused by the rethoric of others. They talk to you about the Yellow Book or any other scripture or saying, you don´t discuss the Yellow Book, you demand an explanation for the religious and social persecution, for the character assassination of the innocent Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Middleway

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »

Try and find a book written by the famous painter and philosopher Nicholas Roerich early last century.

Hi A Friend - I'd like to look that book up - here's a website with a list of his books - do you remember which one it is?

http://www.roerich.org/nr.html?mid=wrtgs

ta

crazycloud

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
Another thing, if one is reading the Yellow Book translation floating around on the web it appears to be incomplete.  Important parts may be omitted for political reason.  Caveat emptor.

could you please give an example of something omitted and show how this is important?

we are generally not the ones who need to beware the yellow book, it is those from other traditions who become convinced we are sectarian through reading it. It would be wonderful to correct this impression.

Geshe Kelsang called the yellow book "superstitious nonsense."

a friend

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »

Dear Middleway,

I only remember it was a smallish red hard copy. Unfortunately the link you give me does not open at every name of his written work, so I can't scan them all.
If I find out again which one it was I'll let you know.
Maybe somebody remembers around here?