Author Topic: What do we seek in life?  (Read 5842 times)

RedLantern

What do we seek in life?
« on: May 12, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »
In life,we are always in search of answers.By asking the right question from the right person,the correct answer will inevitably be found.No answer is an answer.No choice is also a choice.Where does the answer exactly lie?It is all in the Dharma.The answer is embedded deep in our heart where there lies the pure sense of enlightenment.
Sometimes,no answer is an answer and no choice is also a choice.What exactly is the correct answer?For instance,one plus one is not necessarily equal to two.It all depends on the circumstances.

dondrup

Re: What do we seek in life?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »
This is probably the question in everyone’s mind that will pop up in their lives.  Everyone is different and each will have a different meaning of life.  Buddhists seek for the permanent happiness of liberation and enlightenment.  Non-Buddhists too seek for happiness in another manner.  Even atheists have their own definition of the meaning of life.  Understanding the true meaning of life is very important.  Otherwise we will waste the precious and rare opportunity of being born as human. It is very precious and rarest where a human is born with the eight freedoms and ten endowments!  Only after realizing the preciousness and rarity of human life, will we take the essence of our life.

pgdharma

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
Every individual has their own definition of life and happiness but as Buddhists, we strive to achieve the state of “enlightenment” where all negative traits like the three poisons; greed, hatred and delusions are eradicated.  Without these defilement there will no longer be any clinging to future rebirth. When we seek to gain liberation, to break away from the endless cycle of birth and death, to gain realization and enlightenment, we can only do this by our own efforts, by our own concentrated will power. This is the ultimate happiness that we should seek.

DS Star

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Redlantern, you mentioned this interesting statement:

"...one plus one is not necessarily equal to two. It all depends on the circumstances."  :-\

By the way, I totally agreed with your statement below:

"It is all in the Dharma. The answer is embedded deep in our heart where there lies the pure sense of enlightenment."

Actually the Sanskrit word “Dharma” means "something" that holds us back or prevents us from suffering i.e. from having problems.

That is also why "Dharma" is sometimes known as the "ultimate medicine" because it can cure us from our suffering. Buddha's teachings IS the 'Dharma' that can prevent us from problems, difficulties.

In short, if we study, understand and apply Dharma in our daily life, we can prevent ourselves from having problems, thus unhappiness.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
What DO we seek in life? I ask myself that every passing day. It's just inevitably confusing and it doesn't take a night to figure out the whole controversial hunt.

Everyone says they seek for happiness and peace. Well to begin with, what is the definition of happiness and peace? We all come from various backgrounds and eventually the end perspective of what it is would be a jumble of unexplained theories. Truth be told, I don't think it exists. We ACT as if we know. We PRETEND as if happiness comes naturally within out homosapien lives. I disagree. Apologies for my negativity but there is no real end to what we wish to seek.

Everyday we are searching, and for what? In hopes for a better future? People say it's not what you achieved in the end but the journey that is most treasurable. Well, yes, but do people even take into appreciation of the people and places that brought them here? NO. Humanity is going on a downward spiral to a black hole of non-existence. I am frustrated but TRIES to ignore what my selfish brain is urging me to greed off what the world cannot give. Sometimes I think we are just all made out of molecules of un-ending lies and deceit, just so we can obtain our personal pleasures. I don't know what others may be wishing but I do wish for a more honest and trusting livelihood where anxiety will no longer burst into our doors of vulnerability.

Q

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »
Life is a big puzzle itself... However, no matter how complicated life is, I believe the one purpose that people live for is the same which is to have happiness and free of suffering..

The methods of which people choose to attain these purpose however is different and there comes the problem. Those like us, that has chosen the path of Enlightenment are fortunate... But some people, not having heard the preaching of Buddha, certainly have a disadvantage and will find it more difficult to achieve happiness and peace.

While some of us may feel that meeting the Dharma actually is a difficult path and that sometimes the lives we had is so much peaceful... I must say that that false sense of peace is due to us being accustomed to that lifestyle and we find the difficulty of practicing the Dharma as it requires a certain shift and change in our previous lifestyle. But it will all be worth it, just as how the Buddha showed us by example.

So what do we seek in life... it's the same in everyone, and it is our purpose to set an example to others that the road to Enlightenment is really the peace and happiness that we have always been searching for.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
A simple question which is asked in many different ways.  I quote below a statement which will give us some direction to the way we choose to live our lives from the perceptive of our religion, goal and beliefs.

"This is probably the question in everyone’s mind that will pop up in their lives.  Everyone is different and each will have a different meaning of life.  Buddhists seek for the permanent happiness of liberation and enlightenment.  Non-Buddhists too seek for happiness in another manner.  Even atheists have their own definition of the meaning of life.  Understanding the true meaning of life is very important.  Otherwise we will waste the precious and rare opportunity of being born as human. It is very precious and rarest where a human is born with the eight freedoms and ten endowments!  Only after realizing the preciousness and rarity of human life, will we take the essence of our life."