Author Topic: Dalai Lama reaffirms that the next Dalai Lama may be female  (Read 17306 times)

Big Uncle

Dalai Lama reaffirms that the next Dalai Lama may be female
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
I find this most interesting and unconventional. It would be interesting to see a female incarnation of the Dalai Lama. I wonder if she would be propagating Dorje Shugden or not? Perhaps, she would do just that and work alongside Tenzin Palmo and other great nuns to revive the Bhikshuni tradition.

--------------------------

Dalai Lama: Women Better Leaders Because Of Potential For Compassion; Next Dalai Lama May Be Female
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/14/dalai-lama-women_n_3440583.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism

The Dalai Lama weighed in on the debate around women leadership and came out firmly on the side of the female.

Talking to reporters during a visit to Australia, the Buddhist leader was asked to weigh in on gender during a race for Prime Minister that has included charges of sexism.

Speaking generally, the Dalai Lama suggested that the crisis of suffering and inequality in the world requires a compassionate approach to leadership:

"In that respect, biologically, females have more potential... Females have more sensitivity about others' wellbeing. In my own case, my father, very short temper. On a few occasions I also got some beatings. But my mother was so wonderfully compassionate."
The exiled Tibeten Buddhist leader then applied the same logic to his eventual successor; reaffirming that a female Dalai Lama is possible.

"If the circumstances are such that a female Dalai Lama is more useful, then automatically a female Dalai Lama will come."

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
Re: Dalai Lama reaffirms that the next Dalai Lama may be female
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
I believe that there is a high possibility that the Dalai Lama may come back as a female. Since in these times, a female incarnation is needed, I think that the Dalai Lama will come back in the female form to help and benefit all sentient beings.

I strongly believe in this because as high lamas, I believe that they would be able to control their birth, and death. In that case, they would also be able to control what they would reincarnate as and the gender of that particular being. This is so that all sentient beings would be able to receive and accept the Dharma faster, thus, would be able to break free from the sufferings that they are in.

lotus1

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
I would be very happy to see a female Dalai Lama. All these while sangha community are dominant by male, it would be great to see female sangha members joining in. I hope it would also help to change the perceived gender inequality in Buddhism and have more nuns and support more on women and women rights.

Recently,  Buddhist nuns just celebrating a landmark victory, i.e. for the first time in the history of Tibetan Buddhism, 27 nuns took Geshe examination, an equivalent of Buddhism Ph.D degress at Jamyang Choling Nunnery near Daramsala. (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.0)

Just like HH Dalai Lama said “If the circumstances are such that a female Dalai Lama is more useful, then automatically a female Dalai Lama will come.” I rejoice and hope that this will bring Buddhism to more people!

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
Wow! We are now coming across this topic again. I have read His Holiness mentioned of the possibility of a female Dalai Lama months ago. Indeed enlightened beings have the abilities to foresee the best ways to benefit all sentient beings. Just as the Bodhisattva Guan Yin who is associated with compassion appears to her devotes as a female, it can also be very apt for the Dalai Lama to come back as a female. Male or female, I would continue to respect the Dalai Lama for the dharma and values that he represent.

fruven

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
There we go again on anything female. Obsession with female.

If the circumstances are such that a female Dalai Lama is more useful, then automatically a female Dalai Lama will come.

What kind of circumstances? Equality. Respect. Woman are not at a disadvantage. Female has always at a  disadvantage in terms of physical strength. The male always has the option of resorting to strength when he wants to achieve what he wants.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:47:35 AM »

If the circumstances are such that a female Dalai Lama is more useful, then automatically a female Dalai Lama will come.

What kind of circumstances? Equality. Respect. Woman are not at a disadvantage. Female has always at a  disadvantage in terms of physical strength. The male always has the option of resorting to strength when he wants to achieve what he wants.

Well I think the Dalai Lama is right (!!!) that a female Dalai Lama would appear automatically if it helped all living beings.  Or a female Karmapa etc.  However, since the Dalai Lama has been teaching in reverse a lot this life, because I think honestly that he is trying to decoy China, he points at the best Dharma Protector of the aeon and says--- oh that's not a Buddha.  Then he points at some guy China likes for Karmapa---  decoying China on both counts--- so a female Dalai Lama?  Decoyed again?  I don't know.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

It is indeed that for women it is considered as a disadvantage. Nuns have more vows to take when compared with the number of vows that monks have to take. Just think of it from another point. The monks are able to take Geshe since a long time ago, but for the nuns? It is only recently that nuns are able to go for Geshe examinations (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=3523.0). Through this example, it already clearly shows that women do stand at a disadvantage in many situations.

Rihanna

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
Regardless of the gender, if the Dalai Lama thinks that it is for the best that He reincarnates in a female form, then He will. For Dalai Lama is one with Chenrizig and I believe all Enlightened Beings will have no issues to reincarnate in whatever form as long as it is for the best interest of all sentient beings. There can be many reasons behind this as to why the Dalai Lama would reincarnate back as a female, just like the decision the Dalai Lama made to 'ban' the practice of Dorje Shugden and come up with such a 'prank' in saying if one practices the practice of Dorje Shugden, it will make the Dalai Lama's life shorter.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
The saying that the practice of Dorje Shugden would shorten Dalai Lama's life is just false and untrue. How would it be possible that the worshipping of another enlightened being would cause the harm of someone?

I believe that there is still the ban on going because the Dalai Lama has greater plans for both the practice of Dorje Shugden, and the Gelug practices. It is because of the ban that allowed almost everyone in the Gelug lineage to know what is going on and the measures that each side of the party are taking. Although, we may not know what is the true reason why the Dalai Lama has chosen to do it in a way that is agreeable to many. But, if it was not for all these protests, would Gelug and Dorje Shugden be as well known today? The answer would be no.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
If we believe that HH the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig in nature, then it only is logical that we believe that ALL his actions are to benefit. He cannot have enlightened activity in one thing he does and be unenlightened in another. Therefore, this includes the ban on Dorje Shugden, as well as the possible incarnation in future as female. Whatever the Dalai Lama decides to manifest, we have to trust that it is with the sole purpose of benefiting others.

Of course there are those who do not believe the Dalai Lama is enlightened and that he is merely a human being, in which case there will be doubt however he manifests. I prefer to think of him as an enlightened being. What about you?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
I would definitely believe that the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig, hence an enlightened being. I believe that whatever that he is doing would be for the greater good of all of us, benefitting all sentient beings.

Just think of it this way, if the ban on Dorje Shugden is not for a greater cause, why would the Dalai Lama not ban Dorje Shugden practices in his earlier incarnations? Instead, the 5th to 13th Dalai Lama worships Dorje Shugden. That would be contradicting to whatever that he is saying now. Hence, I would say that the Dalai Lama has manifested all these for a greater cause.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
Emanating in a powerful women form is truly exciting things to come, and Chenrezig will know what benefits sentient beings the most. If His Holiness do take on a holy Mother tara form to pacify and heal the world, most likely he will be working more on women empowement and issues plaguing women these days.

In our time such thing like this are still happening like child brides
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/30/world/yemen-child-marriage/index.html
There is a lot of work cut out for the future incarnation of Dalai Lama. Gone will be the Dorje Shugden ban by this time, who knows the new Dalai Lama could be spreading Dorje Shugden to those who are weak and downtrodden in his next incarnation. Dorje Shugden rescues all especially those who are disadvantaged. 

fruven

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
Regardless of the gender, if the Dalai Lama thinks that it is for the best that He reincarnates in a female form, then He will. For Dalai Lama is one with Chenrizig and I believe all Enlightened Beings will have no issues to reincarnate in whatever form as long as it is for the best interest of all sentient beings. There can be many reasons behind this as to why the Dalai Lama would reincarnate back as a female, just like the decision the Dalai Lama made to 'ban' the practice of Dorje Shugden and come up with such a 'prank' in saying if one practices the practice of Dorje Shugden, it will make the Dalai Lama's life shorter.

You brought up a good point up. Indeed there is no limit to what form an enlightened being could reincarnate or emanate as. Therefore if the female form can bring more benefits, why not?

China is no different from US or any other country. It is lead by a man. The head of a country doesn't have to be a man. Perhaps woman coming into power in China is the best solution?

icy

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
If the next Dalai Lama is a female, it is breaking from tradition.  We have female prime ministers before why not a female Dalai Lama?  If I am still alive to see a female Dalai Lama, it would be a great welcome.  It would mean that the world needs feminine energy more at the time when the Dalai Lama incarnates as female.  Great beings always manisfest at its best to bring maximum benefits to others. 

icy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
I am just wondering if His Holiness the Dalai Lama is preparing for his next incarnation to return as a female by putting in place the geshema program for the nuns in the nunnery.  In this way Her Holiness the Dalai Lama will in future still undergo the regime training similar to a monastic institution.  Then again he might also wish to change the gender of Her Holiness's tutors.  I am just wondering if Ling Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche will reincarnate in their next incarnations as female to become Her Holiness's tutors for that streak of tradition in gender to remain.