Author Topic: Update on Lama Zopa's health  (Read 16232 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Update on Lama Zopa's health
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
I am sure many people are concerned about Lama Zopa's health since his stroke earlier this year. This is just to share the latest update I received so you can rejoice in Lama Zopa's recovery.

http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/zopa/rinpoches-health-updates-and-practices.html
Rinpoche’s Health – Official Updates and Practices
September 4 2011

Dear Friends,

Rinpoche continues to progress steadily here in Nepal. Rinpoche's doctors have advised to now increase the medication for blood pressure which was started today. The blood pressure has been much better than prior to the stoke but now the doctors aim to bring it 130/80 range.

Rinpoche's sugar levels have also been much better and we will continue with Rinpoche taking insulin but the type of insulin is changing in order to have better control.

Movement of the right leg and right arm is a little better. The speech also is getting a little better.

Rinpoche is continuing the chanting of Chod in particular (also other prayers out loud)  for exercising the speech. Depending on the weather ... we get a lot of rain , Rinpoche does kora 3 or 4 times a week around Bouddhanath  and Swayambunath stupa (alternating). Sometimes it's in the rain. Swayambunath kora at the base  is 3 kms. Rinpoche walks the whole way. At Bouddhanath  Rinpoche does 4 circumambulations walking and then another 6 in the wheel chair. This is one exercise Rinpoche really enjoys. We usually do it late at night, no one else is around so it is really a nice and peaceful time. If we get to the stupa early enough we go to "Flavors" for tea , great "little" place where some of the waiters and waitresses are small people ... not more than 3 feet high.

Sincere thanks  to everyone for all your support in so many ways.

roger
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DSFriend

Re: Update on Lama Zopa's health
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »
Hi Kate
Thanks for the update. It sure is a very encouraging news that lama zopa's health is improving and all the efforts he put in to exercise..which is obviously a practice.

Finds the the small people not more than 3 feet high quite interesting:)

thanks

kurava

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »
Thanks for the update. It's good to know Lama Zopa making progress to recovery.

High lamas are rare jewels and their existence among us is indication of how much merits we have. Students of these lamas must conscientiously create the causes for the lamas to live long and continue with  the turning of dharma wheels.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
Yeah, it is good to know that Lama Zopa is doing well. However, I hope that this period has had an affect on Lama Osel and perhaps he has planted ideas for him reconsider taking up his spiritual responsibilities. After all, Lama Zopa may be a great enlightened Being within but his body is aging and is subject to impermanence. Whatever it is, I hope there is preparation that an heir takes over the spiritual leadership within FPMT. There is always this problem of succession and when a smooth implementation, great institutions can last for long, long time. Otherwise, even great organisations can collapse. We pray that will never happen.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
The issue of succession is interesting, Big Uncle. If Lama Osel does not return to FPMT, who will take over? Does anyone know if there is a successor?

And at NKT, after Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who will be taking over? I presume in NKT, it would be an appointed successor as there is no recognition of the Tulku status. Does that mean that after Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's passing, his students would not look for his incarnation?

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:17:26 PM »
The issue of succession is interesting, Big Uncle. If Lama Osel does not return to FPMT, who will take over? Does anyone know if there is a successor?

And at NKT, after Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who will be taking over? I presume in NKT, it would be an appointed successor as there is no recognition of the Tulku status. Does that mean that after Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's passing, his students would not look for his incarnation?

Thats an interesting thought WB, Ive not considered it before... for FPMT, could it be Ven Roger Kunsang?

And especially for NKT, since theres no recognition of tulku status. I suppose meritocracy is the preferred system... if you take a look at the TGIE, all that dependency on reincarnation... theres not been any training of a successor so what happens when His Holiness the Dalai Lama passes away? Perhaps NKTs method frees things up for them - they can choose and train up whoever they want.

vajrastorm

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 04:58:44 AM »
It's very happy news indeed, that Lama Zopa is making definite progress in recovering from his stroke.

The question of succession that has been raised  here is one that also must be cause for much serious thought and concern for all Dharma centers and organizations which are currently under Spiritual Guides who are great Masters. The successor of a Spiritual Guide must possess qualities that the current Spiritual Guides possess, qualities that make them qualified Spiritual Guides and teachers who can guide their students on the Mahayana Path to Full Enlightenment Hence, as far as one can see, candidates to fill the shoes of qualified Spiritual Guides still need to be incarnations of Great Masters or one who has been trained by the monastic universities(or at least be in possession of  the five essential qualities of a Teacher as stated in the Lamrim) , with an unbroken lineage and tradition of teachings and practice.

vajralight

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
In the NKT Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong, has already taken over the job of spiritual director since Geshe-la retired. There is a system in place where the resident teachers can vote for the General spiritual director and deputy spiritual director. They are both positions now occupied by nuns, Gen-la Dekyong and Gen-la Kunsang.

vajra

WisdomBeing

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
sorry this is off topic but when did Geshe-la retire?

vajralight

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
Although he is in good health, in August 2009 he voluntarily stepped down as General Spiritual Director of the NKT-IKBU, in a democratic system of succession that he established in the NKT-IKBU's Internal Rules.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:56:06 AM »
Not that it matters but did Geshe-la say why he was stepping down, when he's still able to be the General Spiritual Director? Its great to hear NKT has a system that allows the organisation to continue after Geshe-la has to leave this current body...its clear Geshe-la built NKT to serve others and not around himself, and hes got no ego about power.

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:56 AM »
In the NKT Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong, has already taken over the job of spiritual director since Geshe-la retired. There is a system in place where the resident teachers can vote for the General spiritual director and deputy spiritual director. They are both positions now occupied by nuns, Gen-la Dekyong and Gen-la Kunsang.

vajra

I rejoice that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso has taken a bold step to ensure that his organisation thrives and survives far into the future. This organisation is significant in its ability to propagate Buddha's teachings along with Dorje Shugden practice. I wonder what FPMT's protocol would be like? Perhaps they will appoint a spiritual director within their ranks while they await the search, recognition, enthronement and education of the new Lama Zopa's incarnation. That would be many years! Perhaps they will appeal to Lama Osel. 

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
Hearing such good news on Lama Zopa improvement in his health definitely is something all of us should rejoice in.

However, his students still need to or rather continue to repair their samaya especially with Lama Yeshe on the Shugden issue. Right now it is important that Lama Osel takes on his role as the spiritual guide/successor of Lama Zopa and by not repairing their samaya, the chances of Lama Osel not manisfesting what he was supposed to be can be further jeopardized.

whitelion

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »
Thanks WB for updating such a good new. With the news of Lama Zopa's health getting better, which means the Lama who have total control his body choose to stay to benefit more people, this is really a good news. I remember someone told me before, when a high lama manifest sickness it could be a sign for the student to push themselves to do more to benefit others.

Example, when one lama is sick, the students will feel "scared" and worried that they will lost the guru, in order to keep any high lama who have total control of their life, the student will push themselves to generate merits and dedicate for the Lama's long life and stay with them for long long time. Maybe one just do puja once a week, but when the lama is not feeling well, they might do 5 pujas a week to pray for the lama's long life in our world, by dedicating for the lama long life, we actually collected a huge amount of merit.

As you can see the high lama such as Lama Zopa will actually use his own body to remind or transforming the student's mind and behavior. I'm rejoice for FPMT, and I wish all the friends from around the world will never ever separate from the holy masters.

Barzin

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »
wonderful update news on Lama Zopa's health.  Glad that he is recovering.  It must have been hard on the students or rather they might having difficult time to figure out what to do.  Lama Zopa definitely have control over his body but still he is aging.  therefore the students should relook into the issues with Lama Yeshe and the Shugden issues.   whenever there is a cause, there is result.  Therefore it can't be a good one if the lama is having difficulty teaching the dharma to his students.  It means something is wrong, somewhere.  I wish very much the students to make the conditions change for the better soon and never separate with holy masters and dharma.