Author Topic: Buddhism for Vampires??  (Read 16816 times)

dsiluvu

Re: Buddhism for Vampires??
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »
This sure is an interesting topic and good reading! Love vampires and I am sure they exist.

I've learnt so much from this post on tretons and termas. I've heard that sometimes 9 naga kings are the ones who guard these tretons/termas. And when the time is right and the right lineage holder/guru comes along they will reveal it to them. They can be kept hidden for hundreds or thousands of years. It is amazing.

However Ensapa... you said something about Dorje Shugden terma? This is very interesting... where did you hear or get ur fun fact from? Do share and why is it that instead of Manjushri it is Avalokiteshvara and how is it no different from Guru Rinpoche? Thought Guru Rinpoche was actually emanation of Atisha, who is also Lama Tsongkhapa? Do correct me if I am wrong. This is nice learning... :)

Fun fact: there is even a Dorje Shugden Terma that was revealed quite sometime ago containing the full prayers, except that instead of being Manjushri's emanation he is Avalokitesvara's and is not different than Guru Rinpoche himself. What does Dudjom Rinpoche has to say about this? hehehe. Now we can tell the Nyigmas that they are in fact blasphemous for making Guru Rinpoche stepping on himself.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
This sure is an interesting topic and good reading! Love vampires and I am sure they exist.

I've learnt so much from this post on tretons and termas. I've heard that sometimes 9 naga kings are the ones who guard these tretons/termas. And when the time is right and the right lineage holder/guru comes along they will reveal it to them. They can be kept hidden for hundreds or thousands of years. It is amazing.

However Ensapa... you said something about Dorje Shugden terma? This is very interesting... where did you hear or get ur fun fact from? Do share and why is it that instead of Manjushri it is Avalokiteshvara and how is it no different from Guru Rinpoche? Thought Guru Rinpoche was actually emanation of Atisha, who is also Lama Tsongkhapa? Do correct me if I am wrong. This is nice learning... :)

Fun fact: there is even a Dorje Shugden Terma that was revealed quite sometime ago containing the full prayers, except that instead of being Manjushri's emanation he is Avalokitesvara's and is not different than Guru Rinpoche himself. What does Dudjom Rinpoche has to say about this? hehehe. Now we can tell the Nyigmas that they are in fact blasphemous for making Guru Rinpoche stepping on himself.

I found this piece of info here:

Both the Sakya Throne Holders and Morchen Kunga Lhundrub enthroned Dorje Shugden and entrusted him with activities. The Sakya Throne Holders justified their relation with Dorje Shugden with the Nyingma Tantra Rin chen sna bdun which states that Dorje Shugden was in essence Avalokiteshvara. Sachen Kunga Lodro cultivated the two basic iconographic systems of the practice and wrote rituals recognizing the principal form as the Vinayadhara, holder of the monastic Vinaya.

http://www.dorjeshugdenhistory.org/among-shugden-texts-summary.html

What is equally interesting regarding the ban is this:

In making references to Guru Padmasambhava and the Nyingma tradition he discusses the Dorje Shugden side as the sectarian one. Dorje Shugden is originally a deity of the Sakya tradition. There is a belief that no ordinary being ever appears as throne holder of this tradition but rather that all Sakya Dagchens (Lords) are emanations of the eighty great Siddhas and the sixteen Arhats. The one before the last Sakya throne holder, Dragshül Trinley Rinchen, was the most prominent Sakya master of this century. He called his father a manifestation of Avalokiteshvara, the Buddha of compassion, because before his father was born, his grandfather had received signs that Dorje Shugden himself would come as his son. The master proves the connection between Dorje Shugden and Avalokiteshvara by citing from the Nyingma tantra Rinchen Na-Dün, rnying.rgud rin.chen sna.bdun, "Dolgyal, Dolgyal he who is thus called is by nature undeceiving, because he is the Great Compassionate One himself."

The defamation of Dorje Shugden constitutes a grave offense to the Sakya tradition and surely the Dalai Lama is aware of it. Thus he mentioned to some people that in his dreams the four-faced deity Mahakala appears annoyed at the restrictions against Dorje Shugden.

Four-faced Mahakala is one of the most important guardian deities of the Sakya tradition. (from Helmut Gassner’s speech)

Even the great Dharma protectors have shown their displeasure at the ban and HHDL has even openly admitted to this....now this is getting more and more interesting...

DharmaDefender

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
I was told by my Lama that Vetali or in Tibetan, Rolang is a self-arisen corpse or more accurately translated as a zombie. But I guess a vampire could go under that category as well. I have also heard that Black Manjushri practice is particularly powerful to dispel a threat from a zombie/vampire. But I have not heard of anyone who has had that experience.

Apparently, in certain parts of Tibet where Bon practice was still strong, the threat of zombies and vampires are a very real threat. Anyway, tales of zombies and vampires are not restricted to just Tibetan culture but it is prevalent in almost every single culture. So, there must be an element of truth in these mythology.

I think theres a bit in the Kalarupa puja too that mentions zombies... is he black Manjushri? Ive heard of him being referred to as black Yamaraja, and Kalarupa is an emanation of Manjushri.

Last time I was in Nepal, I was told the doorways are particularly low to stop zombies from entering the houses because zombies cant bend...not sure how much truth there is in this or if my guide was taking the piss. But if spirit possession of a living human body is plausible, then surely possession of an empty shell is equally plausible.

Not sure what Robert "Sparkly" Pattison would have to say about all this talk of zombies and vampires and Buddhism...

Big Uncle

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »
I was told by my Lama that Vetali or in Tibetan, Rolang is a self-arisen corpse or more accurately translated as a zombie. But I guess a vampire could go under that category as well. I have also heard that Black Manjushri practice is particularly powerful to dispel a threat from a zombie/vampire. But I have not heard of anyone who has had that experience.

Apparently, in certain parts of Tibet where Bon practice was still strong, the threat of zombies and vampires are a very real threat. Anyway, tales of zombies and vampires are not restricted to just Tibetan culture but it is prevalent in almost every single culture. So, there must be an element of truth in these mythology.

I think theres a bit in the Kalarupa puja too that mentions zombies... is he black Manjushri? Ive heard of him being referred to as black Yamaraja, and Kalarupa is an emanation of Manjushri.

Last time I was in Nepal, I was told the doorways are particularly low to stop zombies from entering the houses because zombies cant bend...not sure how much truth there is in this or if my guide was taking the piss. But if spirit possession of a living human body is plausible, then surely possession of an empty shell is equally plausible.

Not sure what Robert "Sparkly" Pattison would have to say about all this talk of zombies and vampires and Buddhism...

Nope, Kalarupa is a Dharma Protector which is an emanation of Manjushri and he arose to protect the Yamantaka Tantras. On the other hand, Black Manjushri is a Yidam of the Lower Tantras. His practice is a perfect preliminary to the highest class of Tantras like Vajrayogini.

On the other hand, it is interesting if there's really an authentic Terma of Dorje Shugden. I find that most interesting and have never heard of one until now. That's fantastic and I hope a Nyingma Lama will popularized this Terma of the Nyingma lineage and Dorje Shugden in turn will help the Nyingma lineage grow and increase. How fantastic. It is always neat that Buddhadharma grows in the world.

Klein

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
Buddha dharma is for all sentient beings in all 6 realms. The only concern is whether we practise it. Just like some even ask do we teach Buddhism to animals? Well, unfortunately animals do not have the aggregates to understand the dharma. So the only thing we can do for them is to bless them by chanting mantras, show them Buddha images and help them circumabulate  Buddha statues or stupas. This will plant seeds of Enlightenment in their mind stream for their future lives.

So if Vajra Vetali or the Queen of Vampires can attain Enlightenment in her form, it proves that other vampires can also attain Enlightenment, unlike animals. My question would be whether they exist in the human realm or a different realm? Are there Lamas who's students are vampires?

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
I have not come across Buddhism for vampires, but how about Buddhism for Nagas  ;D

The Nagas live at the bottom of deep rivers, seas and oceans and in the bowels of the earth and they also live in wells and lakes. They can fly in the air, however; they do not do so too often because they will become exposed to attacks from their eternal enemies, the garuda birds. They protect meditators and they have strong magical powers (theikdi).

The best known of all is Mahakala, king of Mañjerika-bhavana (the dragon dwelling under Sineru/ Sumeru). He lives for an entire age (Sanskrit kalpa, Pali kappa can refer either to an aeon or a full "life term," which for nagas is either 90,000 or 90 million human years), and is a very pious follower of the Buddha.

They also played an important role in the custodianship of a part of the Buddha's relics until they were needed for the "Great Pagoda" (M?ha St?pa). And when the Bodhi tree was being taken to Sri Lanka, they did it great honour during the voyage. Other Reptilian kings are also mentioned as ruling with great power and majesty and being converted to the Buddha's teaching -- for example, Arav?la, Apal?l?, Erapatta, Nandopananda, and Pannaka.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

Nope, Kalarupa is a Dharma Protector which is an emanation of Manjushri and he arose to protect the Yamantaka Tantras. On the other hand, Black Manjushri is a Yidam of the Lower Tantras. His practice is a perfect preliminary to the highest class of Tantras like Vajrayogini.

On the other hand, it is interesting if there's really an authentic Terma of Dorje Shugden. I find that most interesting and have never heard of one until now. That's fantastic and I hope a Nyingma Lama will popularized this Terma of the Nyingma lineage and Dorje Shugden in turn will help the Nyingma lineage grow and increase. How fantastic. It is always neat that Buddhadharma grows in the world.

There is a story of how Kalarupa came about. Apparently, he was this yogi in a cave that was beheaded by some cow thieves and as a result put the cows head onto his own body and terrorized everyone around. Manjushri saw this and appeared in his likeness but many times more ferocious, in the form of Yamantaka and subdued him since. This is the kagyu's version of how Kalarupa came about.

Black Manjushri is a very powerful practice that can help against spirit disturbances as well as obstacles such as gossip. The sadhanas that are in existence today especially those that are in the Gelug tradition were written by none other than Chakya Rolpa Dorje himself, which is Pabongkha Rinpoche's previous incarnation and until now, that practice is still very effective.

There is a terma of Dorje Shugden that the Nyigmas and Sakyas have since hidden. This terma points out that Dorje Shugden is the same nature as Chenrenzig and also of Guru Rinpoche. However due to the ban this terma has been hidden out of sight and existence and no one has heard about it since. It seems that the sakyas based their Dorje Shugden practice on this terma.

I am not sure what is considered a vampire, but I have mostly heard of zombies (vetalas) in Buddhist mythology and probably incubus (khubhadas) but not much on vampires. rolang/vetala definetly does not mean vampire but zombie where they are mindless while vampire is closer to an incubus but with a physical body and much greater powers instead.