Author Topic: We Live In a Degenerate Age  (Read 20660 times)

beggar

Re: We Live In a Degenerate Age
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
I think the dark age may refer only to this world, this planet. Remember that the Buddha has said that there are hundreds and thousands of other world systems out there. So we may be getting to a dark age in this world and a point where there is no longer practice, BUT if we practice sincerely and well now, we create the cause to still continue receiving the teachings and opportunities to practice - if not in this world, then perhaps in another world where the teachings may be flourishing.

It is not good to think that "since there is a dark age coming, we might as well not bother since we're all doomed". Just thinking this way creates a negative thought. By cause and effect, you create a situation that you WILL be doomed and not receive the teachings at all.

Logically, by cause and effect, if we really work hard at our practice and have a sincere motivation, then even if this world totally collapse, we will have created the causes to be reborn into a place where we can continue this practice. There are also the Buddha realms to aspire to go towards like Tushita and Kechara, where we can continue our practice uninterruptedly, even if all the other planets and world systems are in pitch black darkness or have collapsed.

The efforts in our practice are never wasted if we are sincere about them.

dsiluvu

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
I think the dark age may refer only to this world, this planet. Remember that the Buddha has said that there are hundreds and thousands of other world systems out there. So we may be getting to a dark age in this world and a point where there is no longer practice, BUT if we practice sincerely and well now, we create the cause to still continue receiving the teachings and opportunities to practice - if not in this world, then perhaps in another world where the teachings may be flourishing.

It is not good to think that "since there is a dark age coming, we might as well not bother since we're all doomed". Just thinking this way creates a negative thought. By cause and effect, you create a situation that you WILL be doomed and not receive the teachings at all.

Logically, by cause and effect, if we really work hard at our practice and have a sincere motivation, then even if this world totally collapse, we will have created the causes to be reborn into a place where we can continue this practice. There are also the Buddha realms to aspire to go towards like Tushita and Kechara, where we can continue our practice uninterruptedly, even if all the other planets and world systems are in pitch black darkness or have collapsed.

The efforts in our practice are never wasted if we are sincere about them.

Thanks beggar for this clear explanation of dark ages and it does gives more reason why we should continue with our practice no matter what comes our way.

I guess our minds are limited, not realising there are still many different worlds out there that they Buddhas are probably teaching and Dharma flourishing! Amazing when you imagine. I guess this can be a positive focus now when depression sets in and when you think all you are doing is hopeless.

Why does negative thoughts always arise in our minds... is it to test our practice, our devotion, or just simple negative karma coming back? I guess the best would be just keep on practising till we overcome it :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:51 AM »
A friend of mine told me that it is possible to gain enlightenment in this lifetime if i follow the vajrayana path, so if this is possible, we don't even need to worry about the next life, we can achieve our goal and then return in our next life fully equipped to help other sentient beings. From what i have read, those who gain enlightenment in one lifetime seem to have undergone great hardship to purify, like milarepa. Does this mean that if i want to gain enlightenment, i have to go through a similar kind of suffering? I do get it that i need to accumulate merit and purify my negative karma in order to even progress on the path, let alone gain enlightenment, but what does it actually take? Do i have to be ordained?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaSpace

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
Gyalwa Ensapa (1505 - 1566) was a great Kadampa master born in Ensa, at Hlaku near the Tsang River in Tibet. He achieved enlightenment in one brief lifetime like the famous yogi Milarepa. Unlike Milarepa, Gyalwa Ensapa achieved enlightenment without having to endure such hardship.

Many great lineage Teachers of Je Tsongkhapa’s tradition  never passed a Geshe degree but they were serious, wise and realized Teachers.  As Gyalwa Ensapa, a lineage holder of Je Tsongkhapa’s tradition, said in one of his many songs:

My only good qualities are that first I made single-pointed requests to my Spiritual Guide, then I practised my sadhanas as soon as I received them, and finally I attained enlightenment in three years and three months.

Yes like its mentioned it is possible not to struggle like Milarepa.

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:12 AM »
@Dharmaspace.... I wish i could be like Gyalwa Ensapa, just by making such a motivation / wish to practice sincerely and get the result.

I cannot even remember my Prayers very well, I keep myself busy with my samsara work and distractions that I don't give myself time to pray, I can't control myself in tense situations that require skilful means and I lash out with vulgarities and sarcasms.  Given a choice of my bed on my days off and other beings, more often than not I wish to benefit myself.

I wonder at what stage does the dharma create change when there is so much karma being created causing it to be further from me.

I think a lot of people who start on the path go for awhile then get disheartened when they see that the outside world hasn't changed even with them being in it.

hope rainbow

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
So if the Buddha predicted that the Buddhism will inevitably degenerate to the point that we have a dark period without the Dharma. Then why are we even practicing? Shouldn't we make the dark age come faster so that a new age can begin again?

I mean what would be the point of such hard practice when no matter how many lives (if any we have left) how much suffering we will endure what would be the point?

I had this thought too at one point...
Like any other thinking that goes bias, like when one says: "if I don't remember this life in the next, then why bother?"
It is bias, it is wrong view.

I think the thing is: do we care that other less fortunate beings may one day enjoy the benefits of Dharma practice?
If we do, we would create the causes for that now, while we still can.
If we let go of Dharma out of defeatism, we won't have causes in place for Dharma to return.
Nor would we create causes for us to meet the Dharma again.

"Hey, i am going to die anyway, so what's the point making a living or anything at all, I could just let myself die right now..."
How beneficial to oneself and others is that? It is just like spitting in everyone's face with arrogance and hatred.
Bias, counter-productive, silly, sense-less.

Dharma will degenerate? Ok, we are warned, let's work harder at it before conducive conditions dissipate, before there is no more teacher, before merit runs out.
let's do it for the sake of others...

WisdomBeing

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
Gyalwa Ensapa (1505 - 1566) was a great Kadampa master born in Ensa, at Hlaku near the Tsang River in Tibet. He achieved enlightenment in one brief lifetime like the famous yogi Milarepa. Unlike Milarepa, Gyalwa Ensapa achieved enlightenment without having to endure such hardship.

Many great lineage Teachers of Je Tsongkhapa’s tradition  never passed a Geshe degree but they were serious, wise and realized Teachers.  As Gyalwa Ensapa, a lineage holder of Je Tsongkhapa’s tradition, said in one of his many songs:

My only good qualities are that first I made single-pointed requests to my Spiritual Guide, then I practised my sadhanas as soon as I received them, and finally I attained enlightenment in three years and three months.

Yes like its mentioned it is possible not to struggle like Milarepa.

Thanks for that Dharmaspace - however, is it possible in this time and age that we can do what the great masters did? Historically people seemed to be able to get enlightened much faster... perhaps these days there are more distractions that people are less committed or people are more fickle or that there are less accessible masters around. It's very scary - if we cannot gain enlightenment in this life, i think next life will be even more difficult.

hope rainbow

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
Thanks for that Dharmaspace - however, is it possible in this time and age that we can do what the great masters did?
Historically people seemed to be able to get enlightened much faster... perhaps these days there are more distractions that people are less committed or people are more fickle or that there are less accessible masters around.
It's very scary - if we cannot gain enlightenment in this life, I think next life will be even more difficult.

More distractions indeed, but who created them?
"Less accessible masters", but then owing to who's karma do I experience that?
I can blame the circumstances and conditions, but then who created them?

I did.

So, what am I doing about it...
I think that is the point, right?

Degeneration does not come from circumstances, conditions or lack of compassion from masters, it comes from a lack of merit.

Big Uncle

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
Well, the dark ages mean there would be even more distractions from practicing the Dharma. People's faith in the Dharma is waning and will disappear one day. Physical signs of Dharma would continue to abound but they are like museums and just a physical building. The disappearance of Dharma doesn't happen overnight. It happens in stages and we are right now moving towards the beginning of the end. You will see more and more temples but Mahasiddhas and attained beings are hard to find amongst the clergy in these institutions.

Under such circumstances, we need to rely upon a powerful protection. Hence, Dorje Shugden comes into the picture. Through him and the hard work of numerous great Lamas in the world today, the Dharma will reach a crescendo - a renaissance of Buddhism before everything ebbs away and the dark ages through begins.

diamond girl

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
It is scary to acknowledge that we are living in degenerate times. For the longest time, I thought my life was fulfilling and precious until I learnt more about Karma and how everything I thought was precious and fulfilling were only mere specks of false joy. I will not say that what I have is rubbish nor will I nullify what I have done in my life thus far. But, what I will say is that understanding samsara and the sufferings I understand why I am still in search of happiness - the inner light in my world of the dark ages.

I had a thought, which may seem irrelevant - does the lighting of candles during all Buddhist events create the habituation of dispelling the darkness in our minds? Candles = Light. Does this help in combatting the darkness in out thoughts?

beggar

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
A friend of mine told me that it is possible to gain enlightenment in this lifetime if i follow the vajrayana path, so if this is possible, we don't even need to worry about the next life, we can achieve our goal and then return in our next life fully equipped to help other sentient beings. From what i have read, those who gain enlightenment in one lifetime seem to have undergone great hardship to purify, like milarepa. Does this mean that if i want to gain enlightenment, i have to go through a similar kind of suffering? I do get it that i need to accumulate merit and purify my negative karma in order to even progress on the path, let alone gain enlightenment, but what does it actually take? Do i have to be ordained?

That's a good question. No, you don't have to be ordained. there are many highly attained beings who are not ordained. It is not about whether we formally take ordination or not. It could also be that you are living as if you are ordained, holding your vows very sincerely and dedicating your life to others.

I like your question about whether we have to go through a similar kind of suffering. Firstly, I guess this will depend mostly on our individual karmas which can manifest in many ways. It could maybe also manifest like this: we could be very committed to our practice and continually focus our mind and actions towards virtuous deeds, thoughts and speech. Because of this, we constantly activate positive karmas in our mindstream which open up to good things, higher merit, more good things to support our practice; at the same time, we stave off the negative karmas from arising in its full potentiality (e.g. gross purifications like sicknesses, accidents). It could be that we collect a tremendous amount of merit within that life to become enlightened directly, or we we ascend to a pure realm like Tushita or Sukhavati or Kechara and can then spend the rest of our time there practicing until we are able to purify all our karma. I don't know if this necessarily means you have to "suffer" though.

Another way of looking at it is: if you are sincere in the path and have a deep understanding of the meaning of practice, then whatever arises as suffering (purification) is not regarded as suffering. You will happily endure the pains and hardships because you know what it is for and it will not deter you from the path. So actually, you are not suffering at all... in fact, you look forward to it and are happy to have the pain come to you.

myself, I'm not sure I'm ready to handle that yet... I can't even stand it when I get the flu!

WisdomBeing

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 02:26:24 AM »
Thanks Beggar - appreciate your answer. It's good to know that i don't have to be ordained... i don't even have a teacher yet. I guess when i get a teacher, my teacher would be able to tell me whether i should be ordained or not in order to get to my goal. From my readings.. i do need a teacher to get enlightened though, so i am also worried - what if i can't find a teacher? So far, I have met a few teachers - but i don;t feel a connection to the teachers i have met with. How do i know someone is the right teacher for me? I mean do i just settle for one just because i can't find another more suitable one. It's like finding a life partner, I wouldn't just settle for one, I'd need to find one who i would feel I can spend the rest of my life with. So if a teacher is someone who i'd spend eternity until enlightenment with, is it better to wait for the right one?

I've just been contemplating that time's a-running and if i don't get a teacher soon, i can't start my path properly then i'm up the creek.

Sorry this is a little off-track...

hope rainbow

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Another way of looking at it is: if you are sincere in the path and have a deep understanding of the meaning of practice, then whatever arises as suffering (purification) is not regarded as suffering. You will happily endure the pains and hardships because you know what it is for and it will not deter you from the path. So actually, you are not suffering at all... in fact, you look forward to it and are happy to have the pain come to you.

It sounds like the pain we get from exercising at the gym, for a result that we value as worth the pain.
So I guess, the first thing to work on is value the result, so that when suffering occurs, we find them worth it and even rejoice at them.
Just like the gym...right?

valeriecheung

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
Sadly to know we all live in this degenerate age but according to lamrin we also should happy and appreciate born as a human this life time to practise dharma.  ;D

beggar

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
From my readings.. i do need a teacher to get enlightened though, so i am also worried - what if i can't find a teacher? So far, I have met a few teachers - but i don;t feel a connection to the teachers i have met with. How do i know someone is the right teacher for me? I mean do i just settle for one just because i can't find another more suitable one. It's like finding a life partner, I wouldn't just settle for one, I'd need to find one who i would feel I can spend the rest of my life with. So if a teacher is someone who i'd spend eternity until enlightenment with, is it better to wait for the right one?

I've just been contemplating that time's a-running and if i don't get a teacher soon, i can't start my path properly then i'm up the creek.

Sorry this is a little off-track...

Hey wisdombeing, don't get yourself down! There is always a big HOPE RAINBOW at the end.
Yes, we do need the help of a teacher to head all the way to enlightenment. There are people who will say that you can do it on your own - perhaps some can, but it will be much slower. Even Buddha shakyamuni himself needed a teacher! So it is definitely a very important part of our practice and our Dharma journey.

It is important to check. I am sure you know what already. But also, you don't go around checking forever and forever. Be careful not to use that as an excuse not to commit to a teacher and keep hopping about (though I'm sure you are not like that - you sound very serious about your practices!) The scriptures give very clear points to look for a teacher and what will help to guide you in your search (check the 50 verses of Guru devotion, which is a good guide).

Also, this helps very much: When you do your prayers to Lama Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden, focus particularly on the verses of the 7limbed prayers which Request the Lamas to remain and for the Lamas to continue turning the wheel of Lama. This doesn't refer specifically and only to Lama Tsongkhapa because obviously he has already long passed away. But focus on Lama tsongkhapa for now if you don't have a teacher yet.  When we focus on these verses and request sincerely we create very strong causes for us to be connected to a qualified teacher in the future and continue to receive the teachings.

You can also place images of our lineage lamas on your altar (Trijang Rinpoche, Pabongka Rinpoche for example) and make aspirational prayers to receive their teachings and guidance. You can do your prayers to them, make offerings and do prostrations towards their images and think strongly that you wish to be their students. Even if you don't literally become their students, you will create the affinity and the karma to meet a teacher who will be qualified to teach you. It also creates the causes than when/if your lama passes away before you do, you will either be able to continue your practice on your own very strongly or you'll meet with another teacher in the same lineage who is also able to guide you.