Author Topic: New Gaden Tripa  (Read 19674 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
New Gaden Tripa
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
The 102nd Gaden Tripa Rizong Rinpoche has practiced Dorje Shugden but of course with the ban, he has to fall in line with Dalai Lama's policy. He hails from Drepung Loseling Monastery.

Here Gaden Tripa is pictured welcoming Dalai Lama  to Drepung Loseling Institute in Atlanta, Georgia, on October 16th, 2010.

The Gaden Tripas are the heads of Gelug School of Buddhism but have no power as everything must be approved by the Dalai Lama.

it is not the case with other sects of Tibetan Buddhism who will not tolerate any interference from Dalai Lama within their own schools.

Sakyas, Kagyus, Nyingmas all have their respective heads that make decisions within their own Schools of Buddhism and they do not consult Dalai Lama nor would tolerate any interference from him.

Gelug is the only school completely dominated by Dalai Lama's control.

Hence many broke away and formed their own Monasteries.

TK

hope rainbow

Re: New Gaden Tripa
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
What a beautiful picture, in every sense of the word.
Rizong Sras Rinpoche (the 102nd Gaden Tripa) was born in 1937, the Dalai Lama was born in 1933, and they both teach us that when one cares for others, when one has great compassion and devotes his life to care for others with wisdom, one's mind does not age, keeps the focus, keeps the clarity, keeps its alertness.
Only self-centered, self-bothered minds gets loose, forgetful, get un-focused and wander away with old age.
We just need to look at this picture to sense the vibrant energy radiating from the minds and bodies of these high lamas!
Thank you very much TK for posting this topic and picture.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
Thank you, TK for sharing this post about the New Gaden Tripa.

I had always thought that the Gaden Tripa was very powerful and could decide on all Gelug matters. I did not know that it is completely dominated by HHDL. Thank you for clarifying that for us.

I shared some info that I read in the net about Gaden Tripa below. When one reads the summary below, one would imagine that Gaden Tripa has the power to make decisions and implement what he deems as suitable for the Gelugpas.

I guess, the most interesting part is that anyone can work their way up to become the Gaden Tripa as it is based on your actual qualifications and experience.

Source: http://www.loselingmonastery.org/news.php?id=13

The Gaden Tripa is the supreme spiritual head of the Gelugpa Buddhist tradition worldwide. This position stretches back in an unbroken lineage to Lama Tsongkhapa, who founded Gaden Monastery in 1409. Lama Tsongkhapa had many students, his two main disciples being Gyaltsab Je (1364-1431) and Khedrub Je (1385-1438). After Lama Tsongkhapa’s passing, his teachings were held and passed on by Gyaltsab Je, who became the first Gaden Tripa, the throne-holder of Gaden and Lama Tsongkhapa’s representative on earth. After Gyaltsab Je’s administration, the position of Gaden Tripa was then passed to Khedrub Je, who then passed on this prestigious position in an unbroken lineage to the 102nd throne holder today.

This highly esteemed position as Gaden Throne-holder is attained through a vigorous selection process which requires years of extensive training and service in the highest ranking positions in the monastic institution as Lama Umze, disciplinarian and abbot to one of the tantric colleges: Gyume or Gyuto. This system, which is based on a monk’s academic accomplishment, tenacity in Dharma learning, teaching and practice, and service to the monasteries, ensures that anybody can ascend to the throne as Gaden Tripa. The act of passing the throne from one generation to the other reflects the spirit of equality in Buddhism: even a normal farm boy can work his way up to being the highest lama of the Gelugpa school.

In the History of Gaden Tripa, they are not only supreme spiritual head of Gelugpa but they were tutors and spiritual advisers to young Dalai Lamas and regents of Dalai Lamas during his absence. Thus successive Gaden Tripa had great contribution in Tibetan history on political and spiritual field. Some occasion in history, Gaden Tripas had responsibility to find reincarnation of Dalai Lamas.
Helena

triesa

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »
The Ganden Tripa has traditionally been an elected position from within the monastery system of the Gelug tradition, and is regarded as the throne holder of Lama Tsongkhapa on earth but at some point since 1999, the Dalai Lama has inserted himself into the process and the head of the Gelug tradition is now appointed by this political leader of Tibetans.

Like what TK said, only the Gelugpas are spiritually and politically under the influence and control of the Dalai Lama. The breaking up of the Gelupas seems to be an unavoidable path now. Many monks and high Lamas have already left Gaden Shartse Monastery to Shar Gaden Monastery as a result of the ban on Dorje Shugden issue by the Dalai Lama.

Even the previous 101st Gaden Tripa, Khensur Lungri Namgyal Rinpoche, a Dorje Shugden practitioner,  also left Gaden Shartse for Shar Gaden after his official seven years term has completed. Khensur Rinpoche made this decision only after his seven years term showed what a great DS practitioner he is, not only did he show great respect to the Dalai Lama, he forgoes his own personal desire to be close to his protector for the benefit of the Gelugpa tradition and Tibetan Buddhism during his term.

I wonder what the current 102nd Gaden Tripa Rizong Rinpoche who is also a Dorje Shugden practitioner will do after his term has finished???

kurava

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Since DL said his current incarnation would be the last in the line of Dalai Lama, will DS flourish after DL passes on?
Are all these high masters working together to set the stage for an unprecedented spread of DS practice?

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »
Since DL said his current incarnation would be the last in the line of Dalai Lama, will DS flourish after DL passes on?
Are all these high masters working together to set the stage for an unprecedented spread of DS practice?

Well kurava, there is a chance that the Dalai Lama may appoint someone to carry on his policies of enforcing the ban. But whether or not this person would be able to command the same amount of respect as the Dalai Lama would be another thing. He might just be over run the other Lamas who might at that time... come out of the spiritual closet. I am sure the Dalai Lama has it all planned but right now, what will happen will be everyone's guess. Anyway, all evidence at the moment on this website seem to hint that he is doing this to promote the Protector so logically, he will let things unravel itself and let the ban slowly slide away after his death. That's my speculation at this time. Well everything is a speculation at the moment.

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

I like how Big Uncle speculate and I share the same opinion. I feel that the appointed  person will not be able to commend the same respect as the Dalai Lama. So many high Lamas are doing DS practice secretly and eventually after the passing of the Dalai Lama, they might just do it openly. Eventually the ban and all the controversies will subside.  It is just a plot that the Dalai Lama is planning to make DS practice more well known by the ban.As we can see now, since the ban, DS monasteries and websites are flourishing and more people are aware of this practice.That is how I feel, but I may be wrong.

Zach

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
Now Imagine after his term finished the next Gaden Tripa (102) changes to a shugden monastry to show his solidarity with the 101st  :)

kurava

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:10:17 AM »
Sakyas, Kagyus, Nyingmas all have their respective heads that make decisions within their own Schools of Buddhism and they do not consult Dalai Lama nor would tolerate any interference from him.

Gelug is the only school completely dominated by Dalai Lama's control.

Hence many broke away and formed their own Monasteries.

TK

Some say that DL's ban on DS practice is to promote the Tibetan unity among the other 3 schools. From the above quote,  the ban is not fulfilling its purpose in this respect.

However, looking at  the current situation since the ban was first enforced, the theory of great beings, DL-DS ,working hand in hand certainly seems to prove right.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 07:32:01 AM »
Well everything is a speculation at the moment.

I love what you wrote, BU.

It's so true - everything we think, write, say and feel right now is pure speculation because we can't see that far into the future. A single change of events and with the appearance of new info - everything changes and even the past may be forgotten.

Such is the power of impermanence.

I like looking at what actually remains that is truly positive.

There are still people practising DS openly or behind closed/secret doors.

DS Monasteries have mushroomed up around the world. What's more, their numbers are growing. More monks are joining. These are all promising evidence.

Some say that the Ban has caused many to abandon their practice. Well, if they were real practitioners, they will never abandon. And if they continue to practice in private or secret, how would we ever know as well?

Either way, I think it is a good sign that we are still here today and our numbers are growing.

So, with the ban, things are still growing and progressing - as far as DS is concerned.

Imagine when the ban is a long forgotten dream - imagine the rate it will TAKE OFF AND FLY.

AND IT WILL.
Helena

hope rainbow

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
However, looking at  the current situation since the ban was first enforced, the theory of great beings, DL-DS ,working hand in hand certainly seems to prove right.

Kurava,
I do agree with what you say, and I'd add:
It is only logical that The Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden work hand in hand and that the Gaden Tripa has a clear understanding of the achievements at stake.

I take proof from historical facts that involve:
-The 2nd and 3rd Dalai Lamas
-Panchen Sonam Drakpa (a previous incarnation of Dorje Shugden)
-the 15th Gaden Tripa

The 2nd Dalai Lama (Gyalwa Gendun Gyatso) was the Guru of Panchen Sonam Dragpa.
Panchen Sonam Dragpa besides having been the abbot of Ganden, Sera AND Drepung (a unique situation) also held the chair of the 15th Gaden Tripa and became the guru of the 3rd Dalai Lama (Gyalwa Sonam Gyatso).

Now, how can these holy beings not be working together for the sake of all sentient beings? This would be plain illogical.

Another observation about Gaden Tripa, Trijang Rinpoche, and open practitioner of Dorje Shugden was the 69th and 85th Gaden Tripa in two of his previous incarnations (remarquale achievements!).

After all, Dorje Shugden is the protector of Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings, and the Gaden Tripa is heading the Gelug school of buddhisme
Any contradiction, any conflict can only be a projection from an ignorant state of mind.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:47:07 AM by hope rainbow »

triesa

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »

It is only logical that The Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden work hand in hand and that the Gaden Tripa has a clear understanding of the achievements at stake.

Panchen Sonam Dragpa besides having been the abbot of Ganden, Sera AND Drepung (a unique situation) also held the chair of the 15th Gaden Tripa and became the guru of the 3rd Dalai Lama (Gyalwa Sonam Gyatso).

Very well said and documented Hope Rainbow.

The Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden's previous incarnation has been in a intertwined Guru-Disciple relationship. And I want to bring out again that it was Dorje Shugden who gave the exact route for the current 14th Dalai Lama to safely leave Tibet to India, and not Nechung as many would have thought. So it was all the more crystal clear that these great enlightened beings, DL and DS,  DEFINITELY work hand in hand together for the buddha dharma and preserving the Tsongkhapa lineage.

With all these facts well presented here, I hope everyone should have a better and clearer understanding of the bigger picture of the current DS controversy orchestrated by the Dalai Lama. When DL passes away, (with no disrespect), DS will take the center stage.

Thank you everyone for sharing.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
All Enlightened Beings work for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Imagine the different roles and drama they have to play and enact just to open our eyes and minds.

If not for us, what else would any of them return life after life, taking on different forms and identities?

They do not need us but we definitely need them.

Without the right conditions and situations arising, we can never have the opportunity to learn nor practice the Dharma in any way.

Helena

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 06:31:11 AM »

Dear HR,

I'm just curious - Panchen Sonam Dragpa seems to take the role of the Panchen Lama during the 2nd and 3rd Dalai Lama's time, meaning the teacher and student swap places... do you know if this continued with the 4th Dalai Lama?

Thanks
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

hope rainbow

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
Dear WB, a few facts to cast more light on the forces at work for our sake to us all sentient beings:

4th Panchen Lama (1570–1662)
4th Dalai Lama (1589–1617)
the Great 5th Dalai Lama (1617–1682)
Tulku Dragpa Gyalstsen (1619-1656)

4t Panchen Lama and 4Th Dalai Lama
The 4th Dalai Lama, Yonten Gyatso was a student of Lama Lobsang Chökyi Gyaltsen (to be later titled 4th Panchen Lama), and in 1614 he received full monk ordination from him. The 4th Dalai Lama passed away at the young age of 27 years old.

4t Panchen Lama and 5Th Dalai Lama
Lama Lobsang Chökyi Gyaltsen was also the Guru of the Great 5th Dalai Lama, who gave him the title of 4th Panchen Lama  after his passing away in 1662. This title then continued to be given to his next incarnations and also, retro-actively, to his previous incarnations starting with Khedrup Je (himself a student of Lord Dulzin, a famous previous incarnation of Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen!).

4t Panchen Lama and Tulku Drgpa Gyaltsen
The 4th Panchen Lama was also the Guru of Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen.

Ain't it neat?