Author Topic: Discrimination against Shugden practitioners today?  (Read 8651 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Discrimination against Shugden practitioners today?
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:33:53 AM »
There is not much headlines regarding discrimination against Shugden practitioners today. Sad to say though, it appears that it is still happening.

Shar Gaden Monastery reported today that on 9th, April, 8 teenagers who came from Chatring, Kham,Tibet, have been rejected the issuance of SEP (special entry permit) to enter India by Embassy of India in Nepal and as well as by the Reception Center for Tibetan Refugee which is under the Exile Tibetan Govt command.

It is well-known that Chatring is an area where Dorje Shugden practice is prevalent - do read Tibet in Exile (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1149) and HH Trijang Rinpoche's biography for more info. For Shar Gaden to report this implies that these teenagers were rejected because of possible links with Shugden. However, I would not have thought that the Embassy of India would pander to this discriminatory ban by the TGIE, although perhaps they take advice from the TGIE in cases like this. In either case, it is sad that these refugees are not permitted to enter India and perhaps join one of the monasteries there.

What do you think?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaSpace

Re: Discrimination against Shugden practitioners today?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
Yes it seems there is much less online news about the ban these days. That’s a start I think and very encouraging.  It will take time for the stigma of the Dorje Shugden to die down eventually.

Everything starts small, just like an avalanche.  And like an avalanche once it starts there is no way to stop it once the momentum is reached.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

However, I would not have thought that the Embassy of India would pander to this discriminatory ban by the TGIE, although perhaps they take advice from the TGIE in cases like this.

I thought the same thing.

I didn't think that India (gov/embassy) gave two hoots about the Shugden ban! Since when did they get involved in Tibetan politics (religiously-orientated ones anyways)?

No offense, but it's not as if they would gain anything by sticking their foot into the controversy, no?

Barzin

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
I am just thinking, how can one tell whether one practice Shugden or not???  It still doesn't make sense to me.  Does it mean if I happened to have one friend practicing Shugden then I am a suspect too?  All these discrimination issues are getting no where really...

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »
TGIE should just stay low profile and should concentrate on the plans for H.H.

The world is evolving in every aspect and countries and even government in exile just like Tibet should look into changing with times and accepting the change. I mean if you want to spread the dharma far and wide one should be skillful, after all it is not about you anymore but others.

A country cannot stay in exile forever. 

Helena

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
TGIE should just stay low profile and should concentrate on the plans for H.H.

The world is evolving in every aspect and countries and even government in exile just like Tibet should look into changing with times and accepting the change. I mean if you want to spread the dharma far and wide one should be skillful, after all it is not about you anymore but others.

A country cannot stay in exile forever. 

With all due respect, I do not think that it is Dharma that TGIE ever wanted to spread or cultivate.

In fact, there is no country in the real sense that TGIE rules over.

TGIE can't change and will not change with the TIMES.

This is why they are where they are now. They are so foolish to think that the world will 'dance' according to their tune or even 'care to dance' with them.

So much drama and not enough Dharma over the control of what little power they have left.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
I am just thinking, how can one tell whether one practice Shugden or not???  It still doesn't make sense to me.  Does it mean if I happened to have one friend practicing Shugden then I am a suspect too?  All these discrimination issues are getting no where really...

yes, people are persecuted even by association. and this ban is being supported by people living in the 21st century!

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »
There is not much headlines regarding discrimination against Shugden practitioners today. Sad to say though, it appears that it is still happening.

Shar Gaden Monastery reported today that on 9th, April, 8 teenagers who came from Chatring, Kham,Tibet, have been rejected the issuance of SEP (special entry permit) to enter India by Embassy of India in Nepal and as well as by the Reception Center for Tibetan Refugee which is under the Exile Tibetan Govt command.

It is well-known that Chatring is an area where Dorje Shugden practice is prevalent - do read Tibet in Exile (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1149) and HH Trijang Rinpoche's biography for more info. For Shar Gaden to report this implies that these teenagers were rejected because of possible links with Shugden. However, I would not have thought that the Embassy of India would pander to this discriminatory ban by the TGIE, although perhaps they take advice from the TGIE in cases like this. In either case, it is sad that these refugees are not permitted to enter India and perhaps join one of the monasteries there.

What do you think?

due to the political climate, i find that many become "extremist", and take on the stance to persecute practitioners who continues to practice.

what is the logic that one must persecute the other for being a practitioner? If the logic is that the practitioner is bringing harm , then what does this make of trijang rinpoche, pabongka rinpoche, zong rinpoche and so many other illustrious masters.

It would mean that these beings are not suitable objects for refuge. We know that this is NOT the case.

Therefore, where is the logic for one to persecute others for being practitioners? Where is the logic for supporting the ban?

So what do i think of lessening of headline news re discrimination against shugden practitioners?
- practitioners are not succumbed to being persecuted and has instead, fought back by manifesting new dorje shugden monasteries. Just look at this website alone as an example. The creativity that's put into it with the illustrated video, brochures, fresh new skin, content all... must obviously come from a fighting spirit and determination to stand strong on what is believed to be right.

- how can anything be long lasting if it is not right, upholds no human values nor any form of logic.

- perhaps the Dalai Lama is not speaking against shugden practitioners as much as before, therefore the puppets stopped dancing to the tune.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »
It's really appalling to know that it has come to a point that even religion is being used to discriminate people by people who supposedly practise religion.  It is obvious that this is pure politics used by TGIE to ostracize anyone who they suspect are not supportive of their ban on Dorje Shugden.  Everyone knows that the bottom of the ban is for the TGIE to consolidate their power. 

Many Dorje Shugden practising high Lamas has hundreds if not thousands of students who are totally devoted to them.  Their allegiance and loyalty to their Gurus who may have become reknown and famous became a treat to the political standing and power of the Dalai Lama and his administration.  Anyway, what's new.  It happen during the time of the 5th Dalai Lama where the jealousy of the followers of the Dalai Lama became so intense that they murdered Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen.  Today it is happening again only in different forms, in the form of ostracization and discrimination since murder is illegal and punishable by law.

Fortunately, all the "hard work" of the TGIE doesn't seem to be working.  Dorje Shugden practice and influence is growing stronger by the day.  Thanks to all who have been loyal to Dorje Shugden and their Lamas who gave them the practice.   

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
TGIE has no clout without the Dalai Lama, and the TGIE authority is not respected by India or the world.

The Dalai Lama relinquishing his role a political head of Tibetan Government in exile is the first of many steps for the ban of dorje shugden to be lifted. With no backing and facing problems from all sides, the ban will eventually be lifted as no one will want to enforce such draconian measures anymore as there is no point to do so and they have more problems such as holding on to the last vestiges of power that they still have over the Tibetans in exile.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »

What do you think?

Sadly, truth to be told is that many Indian officials are easily bribed and it could be that they have been bribed to do so by the CTA to reject the teenagers from Chatering, which is very sad indeed as they could have improved their credibility if they did not do so and fall prey to that. Whatever happened to doing their duties impartially? In any case, this is to be expected but I do hope that things like that end soon. After all, bribes can only work for so long and there is only so much money that the CTA has to bribe the indian officials to carry out their will. these tactics will not work for long.

vajrastorm

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
I sincerely hope that what was the case two years ago is no longer the case now. With HH Dalai Lama publicly saying that he will no longer talk about Shugden in public, it is to be hoped that the sentiments of CTA  regarding Dorje Shugden and practitioners are now no longer as negative or hostile.

Kham and Chatreng are where Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche hail from. It is unimaginable how such disrespect can be shown to Trijang Rinpoche(it's like  a slap in the face!) by CTA - to instigate the barring of Chatreng teenagers from entering India

Today, however, we are seeing less and less signs of the ban being used provocatively against Shugdenpas,and subsequently less news of atrocities. Also, signs are there that the Indian and Nepalese Government are no longer so keen to tow the line of CTA. It's all very political and China is now commanding more respect than the CTA.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:14:15 AM »
I sincerely hope that what was the case two years ago is no longer the case now. With HH Dalai Lama publicly saying that he will no longer talk about Shugden in public, it is to be hoped that the sentiments of CTA  regarding Dorje Shugden and practitioners are now no longer as negative or hostile.

Kham and Chatreng are where Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche hail from. It is unimaginable how such disrespect can be shown to Trijang Rinpoche(it's like  a slap in the face!) by CTA - to instigate the barring of Chatreng teenagers from entering India

Today, however, we are seeing less and less signs of the ban being used provocatively against Shugdenpas,and subsequently less news of atrocities. Also, signs are there that the Indian and Nepalese Government are no longer so keen to tow the line of CTA. It's all very political and China is now commanding more respect than the CTA.

Even if the Dalai Lama has stopped discriminating against Dorje Shugden practitioners, it will take time before the Tibetans themselves will stop doing so themselves. These things unfortunately take time and as long as the Dalai Lama has not ordered them to stop, they wont stop immediately unless the Dalai Lama says that the Dorje Shugden ban was a mistake and it is against the Tibetan Independence movement. That would really get the Tibetans to stop discriminating against Dorje Shugden practitioners. With that said, I dont think that the whole thing will dissolve in a short time period, but it will take at least 1-2 years before the Tibetans forget about the ban itself.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
It is true that with all the discrimination going on, it would definitely take many years before the ban would be down where everyone forget and not talk about it.

I do not think that with Dalai Lama just not talking about Shugden in public would help, as the rest of the people would still carry on with their discrimination as they might feel it is a way to show their respect to DL.

I really do believe that if DL wants people to stop talking negatively about DS, he should say something to tell everyone to not do that.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
It is true that with all the discrimination going on, it would definitely take many years before the ban would be down where everyone forget and not talk about it.

I do not think that with Dalai Lama just not talking about Shugden in public would help, as the rest of the people would still carry on with their discrimination as they might feel it is a way to show their respect to DL.

I really do believe that if DL wants people to stop talking negatively about DS, he should say something to tell everyone to not do that.

Things have to go in stages. I do highly wish for that to happen as well, but for now the Dalai Lama have to stop talking about it. It would gradually become that he will speak up against discriminating against Dorje Shugden practitioners and then say that it is unnecessary. It seems like a gradual lifting of the ban to me with all of these events transpiring if you ask me. The Tibetan public cannot accept sudden changes, but the effects from that has already been felt as there is shops are now selling items to Dorje Shugden practitioners now, as our correspondent from Shar Ganden, Losang_tenpa has reported.