Author Topic: Can anybody help  (Read 9352 times)

Anthony

• Email
Can anybody help
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
Ive been studying and trying to practice Gesh la's teachings on and off for over 10 years. My ability to find and hold my object in meditation has developed and has came to the stage were I find meditations on love and compassion can make a real impression on my mind and so on. The thing is after I chant the prayers in heart jewel and so on after the med. I find it difficult to hold my object. Surly banging drums and chanting in that way isnt conducive with holding the object. Most people cant  find the object I just cant understand. Maybe if you were to get wired up before the meditation with chanting and stuff but after?

Lineageholder

Re: Can anybody help
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
Hello Anthony,

The purpose of the prayers is to purifying negativity, accumulate merit and receive the blessings of Guru Buddha so that our meditation will be successful.  Although it might feel as if these preliminaries are distractions from the actual job of holding the object, they actually provide supporting conditions so that, over time, we will find that the objects of lamrim are easier to hold and have a greater impact on our mind.

My advice would be to continue doing your meditation within the context of 'Heart Jewel' as these are the conditions that Geshe-la has taught will produce the best and swiftest results.  All the best for your practice, I rejoice in all your experiences and meditations!  :)

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Thanks very much for the contribution, I must say that I understand preliminary prayers, but the chanting and so on start after the meditation, this doesnt help with holding your object? Some  objects can be very subtle and need sensitivity to hold onto?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:36 PM »
Welcome newcomer!!!

It is always nice to see new people join in the discussions.

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Thanyou :), I dont think my query has been answered though :(

DharmaSpace

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
You mean after your meditation on a dharma object, then you do the chanting and so forth, and after the chanting that object is not very clear to your mind anymore? So you are doing placement meditation again after the chanting.

I always thought one should be mixing our mind with the object of meditation so that when the condition arises , we act out of that mind that has mixed with the dharma. Sorry if I have gotten all mixed up.

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
One hasnt answered my question, Is it right to bang drums and crash symbol's right after a med I dont think it can be good for carrying the object? Please fogive me Im a bit thick?....)

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
 :) ;) :)

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »
Erm????? sheep comes to mind for some reason. If you get benefit from your practice then good on you) respect! I like....But please explain why you drum and get erratic after a meditation? Buddha didn't teach that?......Love and peace.....x

Lineageholder

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »
Hello Anthony,

I don't bang drums and crash cymbals, but I do chant prayers concentrating on their meaning as I believe it helps us to develop a strength of mind that enables us to hold the meditation object.

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.  :)

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »
Good on you :) For me medtation is about holding your object with out distraction Buddha is cool but dont understand, heart jewel and stuff?

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
Contradiction it seems to me? Dont let it go?....I dont know?.... :-\

beggar

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 04:23:50 AM »
Hi Anthony,
If not mistaken, I think you're referring to the use of all ritual instruments in the Protector kangsol yes? drums, cymbals, gyaling (traditional clarinets etc?)

Firstly, the ritual instruments are also a part of the meditation and visualisation so they are not separate from our meditations and prayers. So if you can learn the corresponding meditations on those, they are also very helpful for your practice. (at the most basic level, the instruments are a very powerful offering of sound. All offerings collect merit for our practice. At a higher level, offering sound / music is also symbolic offerings of emptiness).

Secondly, it is natural that as we begin our practice, we can't hold the object of our meditation for long or extended periods of time. This is normal because we have lived our lives for hundreds and thousands of years with a monkey mind that is very easily and quickly distracted. You don't have to worry too much about what happens after your prayer sessions and meditations at this point of time. Yes, it is normal that your mind will drift FOR NOW. What is helpful is to just be aware that your mind is drifting and to keep bringing it back as much as you can. Also, even if you are doing your meditations for only 5 - 10 minutes, make those minutes real quality time. Then, you gradually extend that meditation session to 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour and so on until you are able to hold your object of meditation for very long periods of time, and then eventually, you will be able to hold it spontaneously, without requiring concentration.

I hope this helps.

And welcome to the forum. Always great to have new people, questions and healthy debate. Keep asking!   

Anthony

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »
So what your saying its ok to bang drums and so on after a meditation? Love and peace....x

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »
Dear Anthony,

if you have been following Geshela's teachings for the past 10 years and he teaches that you should bang drums and so on after meditation, then you should :) if you're not comfortable with it, perhaps you can ask him to explain also? All of us here in the forum can help to an extent by sharing our individual points of view but for a question about one's own practice, i would think that going to one's own teacher is best, especially if you're fortunate enough to have one.

Beggar has eloquently explained re the purpose of ritual instruments (thanks Beggar - i learned something from there too! I like the sound is an offering of emptiness - the sound of one hand clapping?) which i hope helps you too!

And yes, welcome to the forum!

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being