Author Topic: NUCLEAR AGE MAHASIDDHAS  (Read 12771 times)

beggar

NUCLEAR AGE MAHASIDDHAS
« on: December 27, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »
Sometimes the very uncommon, (seemingly) untraditional, unconventional, unruly, unkempt, un-behaved, unshaved Drugpa Kunleys render the greatest service to the Dharma and clear the way for future generations by exposing the flaws of fossilized ritualism, scholarliness without practice and institutionalized sanctity, while inspiring to the core by their non-dual involvement with gutter, stars and everything in between, thus proving that transcendence truly transcends and that everyone is always welcome at the Buddha's gateless gate... I feel we need them more than ever!
Funny how 'crazy' unforgettable Lama Yeshe for example hooked spaced out tripsters into Dharma on Kopan hill while his own family thought he had gone insane, and how that same Lama Yeshe arranged for the Dalai Lama's first public appearance in the West, brought Kyabje Zong Rinpoche to America and Europe, and, and and...
To give courage to those of us who don't fit into the traditional scheme of things, and blessings to all, i would like to invite everyone to share about 'nuclear age mahasiddhas' they have met or heard about - kindred spirits of Lama Yeshe who are alive and teaching today, known or unknown, young or old, bald or bold... As they are crucial factors in keeping our (or any) lineage alive, let's share about and celebrate their existence! Thank you very much!!

Dave

Re: NUCLEAR AGE MAHASIDDHAS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:41:11 PM »
I don't know about Lama Yeshe's Disciples (though I know there are many powerful ones alive today) because I'm apart of Geshe Kelsang's lineage so I know many great and powerful teachers in the NKT who have been around for many years and who are obviously superior beings.
Ven. Losang Kelsang (still ordained and still active) for one,Geshe-la's first Disciple and still one of the key reasons our tradition in particular has stayed together.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, A Biographical Profile

Taken from the book, CHOD IN THE GANDEN TRADITION
from page 13-26

ZONGTRUL JETSUN LOSANG TSONDRU THUBTEN GYALTSEN-or Venerable Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, as he is known to countless ordained and lay disciples-was born in 1905 in the village of Nangsang in the Kham province of eastern Tibet. His father and both his grandfathers were ngakpa, tantric practitioners of the Nyingma tradition, and two previous incarnations of Kyabje Dorje Chang ("Vajradhara, Lord of Refuge," as Kyabje Zong Rinpoche was also known) had taken birth within the Zong-go family: Zongtrul Phuntsok Chopel and Zongtrul Tenpa Chopel (1836-1899).

It is said that when Zongtrul Tenpa Chopel was about to pass away, his niece's husband came to visit him and persuaded him to extend his life. Later, when Zongtrul Rinpoche was again about to end his earthly existence, his niece's husband made the same request. This time the master refused, but on being asked to take rebirth within the same family, he gave his relative three apricots. He told him to eat one himself, to give the second to his niece, and to plant the last one in front of their house. "When the tree first begins to bear fruit," Rinpoche said, "I will once again take rebirth in the Zong-go family!" Five years later, Zongtrul Rinpoche fulfilled his promise.

In 1916, following his recognition as the new incarnation of Zongtrul Tenpa Chopel, the eleven-year-old Zong Rinpoche made the long and arduous journey to central Tibet. He came to study at Ganden Monastery, one of Tibet's great monastic universities, forty kilometers (twentyfive miles) northeast of Lhasa. Upon his arrival, his appointed attendant offered the young tulku some sobering advice. "From now on," he said, "you need to study hard, because you will not be respected back at your home monastery if you don't do well. My duty is to earn whatever I can to support your Geshe ceremony." This was no small feat. The occasion of a student earning his Geshe degree was marked by a feast offering' and a personal donation to the entire population of monks, which at that time numbered around 2,500. Unfortunately, the attendant did not live to see Rinpoche complete his degree. When Zong Rinpoche entered Ganden's Shartse College, the fourteen-year-old Venerable Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche (who was to become one of the main tutors of His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama) guided the new student by taking him through his first lesson in elementary dialectics. He was later to become Zong Rinpoche's chief mentor.

Although recognized by everyone as a reincarnate lama, Zong Rinpoche did not enjoy the privileges accorded to modern-day tulkus. He had no benefactor to support him, nor was he interested in finding one. The young monk lived a spartan existence. Instead of a table from which to read the scriptures, he made do with an empty tea box supported by bricks. He was completely focused on his studies, which he pursued with unfailing courage and diligence. He seemed disinterested in food or drink, surviving on a very simple diet. With his humble lifestyle and shabby robes, often loose and torn from the physicality of the debate ground, he looked like any other boy from the remote province of Kham who had been fortunate enough to attend this prestigious monastic university.

Zong Rinpoche received his full ordination from the Thirteenth Dalai Lama at the Potala Palace, and soon after that, during even his first year at the monastery, his teachers began to see in the young lama the makings of a talented debater. During an all-night debating session on Pramana between Ganden's twin colleges of Shartse and Jangtse, he surprised the senior Jangtse scholars with the depth of his debating skills. During a similar session a year later, he advanced a debate on the opening verse of Pramanavarttika, the foremost dissertation on Buddhist logic by the famed seventh-century Indian logician Acharya Dharmakirti. Zong Rinpoche's performance led the famous Geshe "Amdo" Sherab Gyatso to remark, "There would not be a worthier debate on this subject even if Dharmakirti himself were here in person!" Along with his formidable skill in debate, Zong Rinpoche possessed a fertile intelligence and great powers of retention, and his name gradually became known throughout the three great Gelug monasteries of central Tibet: Ganden, Drepung, and Sera.

At the age of twenty-five, Zong Rinpoche was examined along with a group of elite students from Ganden, Sera, and Drepung to see who would qualify for the highest rank of Geshe Lharampa. The exams were held at the Norbulingka, the summer palace of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The Great Thirteenth Dalai Lama, who was present during one of the examinations, offered warm applause after Zong Rinpoche's performance and remarked, "Zong Lama has studied excellently. He deserves the first or second rank Geshe Lharampa this year!" Soon after qualifying with the highest honors of Lharampa Geshe, Zong Rinpoche enjoyed an equally successful examination at Gyuto Tantric College. These achievements firmly established his reputation as an accomplished scholar.

In 1930, Rinpoche participated in the final debate examinations of the Great Prayer Festival, Monlam Chenmo, at the Jokhang Cathedral in Lhasa. Here, the Geshe candidates engaged in three debate sessions a day for over a week. The topics were the five major Buddhist subjects: Pramana (Logic and Cognition), Paramita (Perfections), Madhyamaka (Middle Way Philosophy), Abhidharma (Phenomenology), and Vinaya (Ethical Codes and Conduct). Many years later, a number of former abbots reminisced about being young students at these debate sessions, seated behind rows of highly educated senior monks. They recalled overhearing the senior monks whispering among themselves that this Zong Rinpoche was a brilliant and gifted scholar who was bold enough to challenge anyone in debate. Some of them even decided to leave the debate ground altogether rather than risk the humiliation of losing to a junior monk.

In the mid-1930's Zong Rinpoche became deeply influenced by Madhyamaka. His analysis and meditation in this area perfected his understanding of the ultimate intent of the Buddha and enabled him to develop genuine insight into the relationship between emptiness and the interdependence of all phenomena. These convictions burned within him, finally leading him to make the decision to return to his home province and dedicate the rest of his life to the practice of Tantra in conjunction with the insights of Nagarjuna.

However, this was not to be. One day, Thepo Rinpoche called him to his quarters and told him, "Put aside thoughts of returning home or anywhere else. Stay comfortably here in the monastery!" A few months later Reteng Rinpoche, the Regent of Tibet, appointed the thirty-three year old Zong Rinpoche to the position of abbot of Ganden Shartse. The influence of Zong Rinpoche's term as abbot is still felt today. As well as reaching new heights of scholarship, Ganden Shartse became an outstanding example of monastic discipline, something that Zong Rinpoche held to be of vital importance. He also inspired a strong interest in Tantra, Chod, and monastic ritual, and significantly improved the monastery's administrative structure. Having personally experienced the difficulties faced by its poorer members, Zong Rinpoche introduced reforms that went a long way toward improving their situation.

After serving as the monastery's abbot for over nine years, Zong Rinpoche resigned from his seat in 1946 and went on a long pilgrimage to Tsari, southeastern Tibet. From that time onwards, intermittent reports were heard of Rinpoche's removing people's difficulties and obstacles through low-key demonstrations of tantric power. The well-known Geshe Rinpoche Tenzin Chopel, whose eyesight was so damaged that he was unable to walk unassisted, invited Zong Rinpoche for a visit in the hope of receiving a cure for his condition. After Zong Rinpoche had conducted several eye-cleansing rituals, he was able to dispense with his cane and walk on his own.

In many areas of Tibet, as well as at Ganden and its adjacent lower lands of Dechen, Lamdo, Cheka, and Zibuk, Zong Rinpoche quietly and successfully subdued the powerful local spirits so that they ceased causing harm and disturbances. Fields, plantations, and orchards were seen to increase their yields after he had visited and said the necessary prayers, and his ability to bring about and stop rain and hailstorms became legendary.

In the aftermath of the suppression of his homeland in 1959, and after repeated appeals from his disciples and students all over the country who were concerned for his safety, Zong Rinpoche left Tibet and sought asylum in India. In the remote settlement of Buxa in the Indian state of Assam on the Bhutanese border, he joined the surviving members of Ganden, Drepung, and Sera, as well as monks from other Tibetan monasteries. Although they were now safe from persecution, the monks found it difficult to adapt to the extreme tropical climate. The older monks especially suffered greatly in the heat, and many died of tuberculosis and other diseases, thus further decimating the population of learned Tibetan Buddhist practitioners.

Amidst all these hardships and challenges, Zong Rinpoche gave countless teachings, and in doing so, rekindled the flame of Buddha's doctrine in exile. For the refugee monks, Rinpoche's inspired commentaries on Buddhadharma offered a revitalizing hope and relief from complete despair. In 1965, acting upon a request from His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama, Zong Rinpoche took a position as the director of the newly formed Tibetan Schools Teachers Training Program in Mussoorie (north-west India), overseeing fifty-eight scholars from all the major traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. This educational nucleus proved crucial to the success of the fledgling Tibetan refugee settlements and had far-reaching benefits for all the Tibetan schools that were subsequently established.

Two years later, His Holiness the Dalai Lama appointed him to be the first principal of the new Central Institute of Tibetan Higher Studies at Sarnath, Varanasi, India. On a visit to Thubten Dhargye Ling Buddhist Center in California in December 1983, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche recalled the meeting with His Holiness in 1967:

In Buxa, the monastic community came to hear of a prophecy by the State Oracle that the life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama was in danger. Everyone became very alarmed, and I was asked by many to go to Dharamsala to request His Holiness' long life.

Zong Rinpoche arrived in Dharamsala at the time of Tibetan New Year and waited for His Holiness in the audience hall. When His Holiness arrived, he greeted Zong Rinpoche by fondly taking hold of his beard in the playful manner he often displays with those closest to him, and then took him aside.

His Holiness already knew why I had come to Dharamsala. He told me, "You became anxious, but I won't die, so just relax!" When he said this to me I was so moved that I suddenly burst into tears, and my happiness knew no bounds.

Zong Rinpoche went on to describe how His Holiness told him that he was happy that Rinpoche had accepted the position of principal. Zong Rinpoche replied that he had felt it his duty to take the position even though he wondered if he was up to the task due to his age and health problems that affected his feet and respiration. "His Holiness mentioned to me that age doesn't matter, that it can be minimized, but I didn't have the courage to ask him what he meant by this. When I returned to Buxa, however, it was exactly as His Holiness had said. I really became younger. I no longer needed my walking stick, nor did I have any more respiratory problems."

After retiring from public life in 1971, Zong Rinpoche took the opportunity to spend more of his time in deep spiritual practices. During these quiet years, he would occasionally give highly inspiring teachings, which often contained instructions on practical aspects of Vajrayana. In fact, whenever he taught, Rinpoche always placed great emphasis on the practical aspect of religious activity.

His humanity, scholarship, and spiritual realization were not to be confined to Tibetan society, however. As the years passed, his fame spread abroad, and invitations poured in requesting him to come to the West. Kyabje Zong Rinpoche took three trips outside of India. The first was in 1978, at the request of Lama Thubten Yeshe. During these tours, Rinpoche visited Dharma centers in Europe, the US., and Canada. He was always fascinated with how things worked, and was very skillful with his hands. A student recalled how, on a visit to the Tower of London, he "captivated a crowd of tourists with his detailed and accurate explanation of the workings of an ancient blunderbuss!" In response to requests by Western students, he lectured on the full range of Buddhist thought and practice, and gave many personal interviews. Those who came into contact with him were deeply moved and inspired by his warmth and wisdom. One of his Western students recalls him saying to her at their first meeting, "Do not think that I am anything special. Think that it is by the power of your karma that you have the good fortune to meet the Dharma."

In 1981, Zong Rinpoche's teacher, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, was taken seriously ill at his residence in Mundgod. Rinpoche describes their last meeting. "Just before I was about to leave for the United States we had lunch together. `In terms of our friendship, you are my oldest friend,' he told me, `and in terms of guru-disciple relationship, you are my most senior disciple."' Kyabje Zong Rinpoche often mentioned to his resident students, as an instruction on guru devotion, that he had never harbored a negative thought for his teacher, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, for even a single instant. "Again Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche remarked, `You are my most trusted and loved student' He took my hand and placed it on his forehead and I realized he had a fever. He asked me to look at his hands, and I saw that there was hardly any flesh on them. I was suddenly struck by a deep sorrow. We touched foreheads and his parting words were: `Anyway, we will meet again soon!' I was unable to speak any more and had to leave." Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche passed away that year at the age of eighty-onethe same age, Zong Rinpoche noted in one of his talks, that Shakyamuni Buddha had reached when he entered parinirvana.

Kyabje Zong Rinpoche's penetrating insights into everything he taught had a profound effect on all who heard them. His teachings, they observed, were not just intellectual, for he seemed to draw upon an inexhaustible fountain of direct personal experience. His listeners responded by introducing great positive changes in their lives. Zong Rinpoche will primarily be remembered in the West as one of the first Tibetan masters to introduce Western students to the most profound aspects of Tibetan Buddhism. His skill as a teacher revealed itself in his ability to adapt his teaching methods to the views and temperament of the modern mind. He was known for his unique narrative style that was simultaneously highly engaging and absolutely straightforward. Kyabje Zong Rinpoche retained these wonderful qualities until the very last days of his life. When he passed away, he left behind the legacy of an energetic, compelling, direct and highly accomplished spiritual master.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
Part 2:

KYABJE ZONG RINPOCHE'S PASSING

In 1983, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche made his third trip to the West and embarked on a teaching tour that took him to England, Canada, the U.S., Switzerland, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Austria. In June 1984, fervent and repeated requests by his students in India caused Rinpoche to cancel the remaining three months of his European schedule and return to his home at Ganden Monastery, by then reestablished in Mundgod in southern India. The following month, Zong Rinpoche gave pith instructions on the Hayagriva Tantra, followed by the Chittamani Tara initiation, and a long life empowerment for all the Tibetans in Mundgod's refugee community. Shortly after the last of these teachings, he arranged an elaborate offering ceremony for the Dharma Protectors. After a few days of rituals, the students at Zong Labrang, Rinpoche's residential compound, reported that Zong Rinpoche had fallen ill with a high fever. Although his doctors gave him the best medical care, his condition did not improve.

All of the twenty-one students who lived with him in his residence and everyone in the monastery offered numerous long life prayers, imploring Rinpoche to recover. The monastic Dharma Protector in particular begged him in the name of the Buddha's doctrine and all sentient beings to regain his health and live for many more years. In the event that this was not to be, the Protector added, Rinpoche should at least prolong his life until the reincarnation of Venerable Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche was legitimately determined.

As the news of Zong Rinpoche's ailing physical condition spread, delegates began to arrive to pay their respects and offer long life requests and ceremonies. Visitors from Drepung and Sera monasteries, including representatives of the two tantric colleges, Gyuto and Gyume, and all of the incarnate lamas of these great Buddhist institutions, came to offer long life prayers. Four months later, at the beginning of November 1984, Rinpoche suddenly declared, "I do not have any of my former illness." Once again, in apparently good health, he resumed his daily routine, and, upon requests from the monastery and other communities, presided over the ceremony to determine the new incarnation of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche.

Prior to his illness, and again during this time, some of his attendants noticed that Rinpoche engaged in the self-empowerment rituals of Heruka Chakrasamvara, Vajrayogini, and Chittamani Tara over long periods of time, and they observed him in "unusual states of absorption," as one of them later described it. Rinpoche became increasingly gentle as each day gave way to the next. He summoned his resident students in groups as well as individually and offered them profound and intimate advice. He made observations on a number of topics, including Dharma centers in the West. At one time, he remarked to his personal attendant, Tenzin Wangchuk, with his characteristic directness, "I cannot bear this hot weather. I would like to be in the cool. Let me see for a few days... I might get used to it. If I can bear it I will remain. If not I might leave." At another time, he said to his students, "You have been so kind to me. I thank you all for the services you have rendered me during my recent illness. How pleasant it is here, to be in this house. What could be more comfortable than to be surrounded by my own students?"

Rinpoche normally awoke at three o'clock in the morning and finished his daily meditation before dawn. In the early morning hours of November fifteenth, exactly two weeks after his recovery, Zong Rinpoche repeatedly asked a young resident, "Did the dawn break?" When the answer was negative, Rinpoche remarked, "It seems to be taking a long time for dawn to arrive today." Rinpoche touched the right side of his chest and complained of a minor pain, but his discomfort seemed to subside as the new day dawned beneath a clear sky.

The day, marking Buddha's descent into this world after returning from the Celestial Realm of Indra, would come to strike everyone with immense sadness and grief. But now, in the tranquil morning air, the newly risen sun bathed Rinpoche's eastern-facing residence in glory, and shafts of early morning light flooded his reception room. He ate a hearty breakfast, which made everyone very happy. As his attendant removed the tray he softly remarked, "This was appetizing, completely satisfying and excellent. You have been extremely kind."

At that time, someone delivered a large color photograph of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's stupa sent by one of Rinpoche's Italian students. Taking the picture in his hands, Rinpoche asked his attendant, Tenzin Wangchuk, if he understood the significance of the gift. "If you don't," he explained, "it implies that you should build such a stupa. Can you construct something like this? Even if you cannot build a traditional one, my students will build a stupa in the future with their wisdom and practice!"

Tenzin Wangchuk told Rinpoche that he had called a medical doctor from the Dueguling Tibetan Resettlement Hospital half a mile away to give Rinpoche a check-up. It was shortly after nine o'clock in the morning when the doctor arrived. Rinpoche stood up and walked from his bedroom into his sitting room, saying that he would like to sit in an upright posture. The sitting room was Rinpoche's favorite room. The door led to his garden, and he liked to watch the sun rise from its eastern window.

During his illness, Rinpoche had generally relied on someone to support him while he walked, but today he told his students emphatically, "Nobody needs to hold me. I can go on my own." He once again declared to those around him that he was no longer ill, and left the bedroom in his usual brisk manner. In the sitting room, Rinpoche stretched out his legs and let the doctor examine him. After the examination, the doctor told the students that he could detect no serious illness, only that Rinpoche was rather weak and could use some glucose. However, as the doctor didn't have any glucose with him, he sent his assistant back to his clinic to fetch some.

When the students entered the room a few minutes later, their beloved Teacher had left them for another realm. As he had prophesied, Rinpoche did not die in hospital, in pain, or from a serious illness. Those around him were amazed how Rinpoche's body remained as if in a deep sleep, without losing luster or color. It was clear that their teacher was in a most subtle state of mind, embracing the meditation of clear light. He was eighty years old.

As news of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche's passing spread through the monastery, the first reaction was one of shock and disbelief. Although his supreme spiritual accomplishment meant that he was not subject to death in the usual sense, Rinpoche's passing was completely unexpected, and rendered all the more devastating by its suddenness. The monastic community was plunged into anguish and despair. Amidst a sea of eyes glistening with tears, the news was officially declared in the main prayer halls, where the entire community of Shartse and Jangtse colleges had congregated to offer Ganachakra in Rinpoche's memory.

The Representative Officer of His Holiness the Dalai Lama came to offer his condolences, and was soon followed by delegates from Drepung Monastery and others who streamed into Rinpoche's residence compound. In his rooms, last rites began the same day, with Vajrayogini selfinitiation presided over by Venerable Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche, foremost among Zong Rinpoche's innumerable disciples; Khen Rinpoche Jhampa Yeshe, the abbot of Shartse; and Khensur Losang Tenpa, the former abbot of Gyuto Tantric College, along with other highly realized disciples.

As dusk fell, the whole area of Ganden Monastery was illuminated with butter lamps. For six hours, the night resounded with thousands of monks reciting the Essence of Eloquence, Lama Tsongkhapa's masterpiece of Sutrayana. To complete the cremation rites on the basis of the Vajrasattva Tantra, these recitations were followed the next day with the senior tulkus performing the complete self-empowerment of Heruka Chakrasamvara's Body Mandala. In the evening, all the monks of Ganden Shartse recited the root texts of Maitreya's Ornament of Realization and Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way. Meanwhile, the monks of Ganden Jangste also gathered at Zong Labrang and recited Guhyasamaja sadhanas.

On Saturday, the third day after Rinpoche's passing, Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche and other high lamas gathered to conduct a self-initiation of Chittamani Tara, and the monks of Ganden Shartse, who had completed a Yamantaka retreat, conducted the self-initiation of Yamantaka. From the day Rinpoche had passed away the air had remained so still that barely a single leaf had rustled in the garden, but around three o'clock the weather suddenly changed and a strong wind came up, violently blowing the dust from the ground into the sky. When the wind subsided, word spread that Zong Rinpoche had arisen from the Clear Light state and had ascended into the enlightened realm. Residents of Mundgod also reported feeling land tremors before and after Rinpoche's passing. Countless numbers of people, including abbots, high-ranking lamas, and geshes from all three monastic universities, came to pay their respects and take an active part in the rituals. Everyone recited the prayer for the swift arrival of Rinpoche's reincarnation that Zemey Rinpoche had composed two days after his passing.

That evening Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche led Rinpoche's close disciples in bathing and dressing Rinpoche's body in full initiation costume. Bell and vajra were placed in his hands, and his body was laid in a richly arrayed wooden casket, which had been made into a palanquin. One by one, monks from the great monasteries filed in to pay their respects. By this time, the eastern sitting room was open to the public so people could receive the final blessing from Rinpoche's sacred corporeal form.

Surrounding the eastern room of the Labrang, the monks of Ganden Shartse formed three groups. The first group began to recite the root text of Acharya Dharmakirti's Logic in Four Volumes. The second group recited the Abhidharma text composed by Acharya Vasubandhu, and the third group recited Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, by Acharya Shantideva. At the same time, the monks of Ganden Jangtse gathered to recite Maitreya's Ornament of Realization and Chandrakirti's Guide to the Middle Way as the Ganden Shartse monks had done the evening before. As the junior and senior monks surrounding Rinpoche's residence chanted these texts, the high lamas gathered inside to perform tantric rituals.

At eight o'clock on the morning of the fourth day, Sunday, the eighteenth of November, the palanquin slowly emerged from Rinpoche's residence. Held aloft by his close students under a revolving parasol, it wound its way ceremoniously toward the cremation hearth that had been especially prepared within the compound. Throngs of monks, nuns, and laypeople, including many schoolchildren bearing flowers, lined the path amidst flying banners and the sounds of cymbals and conch shells. Amongst the mourners were some of Rinpoche's disciples who had traveled from Europe and North America as soon as they had heard of his passing.

Those who were present during these days witnessed many unusual signs. On the third day, just before the cremation hearth was lit, seven Indian ascetics clad in new saffron robes and leading a loaded elephant walked into the compound. When asked what they were doing there, they replied that this day marked a very auspicious occasion, and asked for an offering. Tenzin Wangchuk offered them bananas and money, and they left, satisfied. It was an unprecedented event, and everyone remarked that it was a very auspicious sign. Later, when monks asked the local villagers about the elephant, they couldn't find anyone who had seen it. During the cremation, the community recited a multitude of prayers and texts, made tsog offerings, and performed rituals. Students of the monastery voluntarily spent entire nights before the cremation hearth reciting key sutras and tantras.

In Tibetan tradition, the elephant is often compared to a bull. When the reincarnation of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche was born on May 27, 1985, in the year of the Bull or the Ox, and the reincarnation of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche was confirmed by His Holiness the Dalai Lama that same year, it became clear that the appearance of the elephant and the ascetics had had a definite significance.

The twenty-fourth of November was the night of the full moon. It was one of the days that Rinpoche had circled in his diary before his death, and so it was on this morning that the members of Zong Labrang opened the cremation hearth. Lying among Rinpoche's ashes they found his skull unburned and completely intact. Zong Rinpoche's previous incarnation, Zongtrul Tenpa Chopel, who had died in 1899, had also left his skull intact. That relic, which bears the Tibetan syllable AH, is kept to this day at Zong Rinpoche's residence as a treasure of faith and honor.

Two hollow pans had been placed, one atop the other, in the lower part of the hearth. The rim of the upper pan was cemented to the inner walls of the hearth, while the lower pan was turned as a lid over the sand mandala beneath. When the cremation hearth was opened, a large quantity of relic pills were found between the two pans. Finally, when the lower pan was removed, everyone present, including some of Zong Rinpoche's Western disciples, saw in the sand mandala two unmistakable footprints of an infant, complete with heels and toes. The discovery of these extraordinary signs made everyone feel great peace, reaffirming their faith in their Teacher, and assuring them that his return would be swift.

A week before Rinpoche passed away, he had had a survey conducted around the compound of Zong Labrang and had asked his attendant, Tenzin Wangchuk, to remove a pile of dirt and concrete from a specific area in the yard. The supposed reason was that this area was to be used as a place for the monks to do physical exercise. However, in reality, Rinpoche meant for this place to become the site of the stupa-like hearth in which his body would be cremated, and this spot would remain a cremation site thereafter.

Also, some time before his passing, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche had circled three dates in his diary. The first was the date that he rose from the Clear Light state. The second was the day of the cremation. The third was the day the cremation hearth was opened. This made it very convenient for the disciples to plan and conduct the traditional arrangements, but the real message is, of course, that Rinpoche had gone beyond ordinary death and rebirth. His last extraordinary deeds demonstrated a fully controlled, fearless death. They teach us that one day, everything must come to an end. Those present were indelibly impressed with the knowledge that practice and effort can enable one to completely transcend death. Thus, the life of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche became a teaching on how to live meaningfully and die well.

Zong Rinpoche's reincarnation was born in India, in the Kullu Valley, revered by Hindus as a sacred site of Lord Shiva and his consort, Parvati. The Kullu Valley is also revered by Tibetan lamas as one of the twentyfour sites sacred to Heruka Chakrasamvara.

Zong Rinpoche's "precious tomb stupa," or dung-ten, was completed in 1986 by members of Zong Labrang, with contributions from a number of Rinpoche's disciples. It stands five feet high, is covered with precious stones and metals, and is filled with relics and holy objects. Today, it stands in a place of honor in the center of the Zong Labrang prayer room.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »
LAMA GANGCHEN

Lama Gangchen was born in Western Tibet in 1941. He was recognised at an early age to be a reincarnate lama healer and was enthroned at Gangchen Choepeling monastery at the age of five. When he reached the age of twelve he received the 'Kachen" degree which is usually conferred after twenty years of study. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, he studied medicine, astrology, meditation and philosophy in two of the major monastic universities of Tibet: Sera and Tashi Lhumpo. He also studied in Gangchen Compa, Tropu Gompa, and Neytsong Monastery. His root guru was HH Trijang Dorje Chang, the junior tutor to HH, the Dalai Lama. Other main teachers were HH Ling Rinpoche, the senior tutor of the Dalai Lama as well as HH Zong Rinpoche, who was one of his major gurus for healing and astrology.

In 1963 he went into exile to India where he continued his studies for the next seven years at the Varanasi Sanskrit University (Bishwa Vhidhyiana) in Benares. In 1970 he received the Geshe Rigram diploma from Sera Monastic University situated in South India. After his graduation, he worked as a reincarnate lama healer among the Tibetan communities in Nepal, India and Sikkim, during which time he saved the lives of many people and was named private physician to the Royal family.

In 1981, Lama Gangchen visited Europe for the first time. In the same year he also established his first European centre: Karuna Choetsok in Lesbos, Greece, where he is known to have planted a bodhi tree in the 'Buddha Garden', and in the centre of which he consecrated what was to become the first of a long line of World Peace Buddha statues, thankas and images.
Since coming to the West in 1982, and later becoming both a resident in Italy and and eventually an Italian citizen, Lama Gangchen's activities have taken on an ever increasing worldwide scope towards the achievement of World Peace. Mainly, it began with the founding of: The Kunpen Lama Gangchen Institute for the propagation and preservation of the Tibetan Medical Tradition in Milan, Italy in 1989. Here Lama Gangchen has initiated the first extensive programmes of Himalayan medical and astrological studies for Western students. Also concerned with the preservation of the Himalayan culture, the centre holds courses in Buddhist philosophy, thanka painting and other arts.

The Lama Gangchen World Peace Foundation (L.G.W.P.F.), International Friendship for the Support of Tibetan Medicine, Vajrayana Buddhist Philosophy and Self Healing to Develop World Peace, established in 1992 following an International conference of doctors, healers and therapists held in Milan, Italy. The Foundation has its main seat in Spain and was officially recognised by the Spanish government in November 1993. Each year the L.G.W.P.F. holds an International congress m Madrid, Spain, which provides a forum for discussion between scientists, doctors, therapists and philosophers. One of the major aims of the Foundation is to provide documented scientific evidence about the benefits of ancient Tibetan Himalayan healing methods, other natural healing methods and the energetic qualities of spiritual healing. The Foundation also gives a base for constructive dialogue between different cultures in order to create and promote educational methods to develop Inner Peace and World Peace.

The Himalayan Healing Centre in Kathmandu, Nepal which provides minimal cost Western medical care alongside traditional Tibetan and Ayurvedic medical care for local inhabitants. The Healing Centre offers many different facilities enabling the use of many therapeutic systems, space to hold residential courses in Tibetan medicine, lectures, conferences and so on, with the aim to create a base for the exchange of verbal information and clinics for the actual medical practice between the Eastern and Western medical sciences.
Lama Gangchen financially supports the construction and upkeep of schools, clinics and monasteries in India, Nepal and Tibet/China, supplying them with different therapeutic systems, trained Western doctors and facilities, materials and medicines.

thor

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
KYABJE DOMO GESHE RINPOCHE NGAWANG JIGME

Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche Ngawang Jigme was born on January 22, 1937, near Gangtok, Sikkim, His father, Enchey Kazi Rabten Phuntsog of the Barphungpa family, knew the previous Domo Geshe Rinpoche who had stayed in Gangtok on his frequent pilgrimages to India. Kazi Rabten Phuntsog was an influential, well-educated man, and the family hosted many famous Western scholars and explorers. Among these were Lama Anagarika Govinda and later, his wife, Li Gotami; Madame Alexandra David-Neel; Marco Pallis; Professor Tucci and the Italian explorers who accompanied him; and Dr. Schafer and his German expedition.

At three years of age Ngawang Jigme was recognized by Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche and Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang as the reincarnation of Domo Geshe Rinpoche Ngawang Kalsang.  In 1941, before the first monks of the search party arrived to meet the child, the little Rinpoche announced to his father that his monks were coming to take him to his monastery, and when the monks reached Enchey House Rinpoche called them by name.  The following year Rinpoche was taken to the Dungkar Gonpa (White Conch Monastery) in Chumbi (also called Tomo, Domo or Tromo) Valley in southern Tibet. In 1942 he began his studies at Sera Je College in Lhasa. At Sera Monastery, Domo Geshe Rinpoche was known for his quick intelligence, perfect behavior, and unwavering Guru devotion. No matter how strict his teacher Geshe Jampa Chömbe was with him, Rinpoche never complained, but was cheerful and calm. It was said that there was no one as gentle as Domo Geshe Rinpoche, but at the same time it was his nature not to be controlled by anyone. Often the famous and influential people who came to see him were afraid of him even when he was a child because of his exceptionally composed and serious demeanor. Rinpoche always acted as a simple, humble monk, never showing off his knowledge or accomplishments. During the political controversies that divided Tibet in the 1950s Geshe Rinpoche did not take sides, but consistently maintained a religious perspective and kept good connections with both parties.

While at Sera Monastery Domo Geshe Rinpoche was selected to enter the Lharam class in preparation for his Geshe degree, but in 1958 he requested to graduate a year early. Although this disappointed his teacher, his request was granted by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Consequently, Domo Geshe Rinpoche received his Lingsä Geshe degree just before the Chinese Communists put an end to the religious system in Tibet. By that time he had received an unusually large number of rare and precious teachings, transmissions, and empowerments from Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, Tagri Dorje Chang, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and Gonsar (Dema) Rinpoche.

In March of 1959, during the Tibetan uprising, Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche was taken prisoner by the Chinese Communists. For the first few months of his imprisonment he was forced to perform the dirtiest jobs, such as cleaning out pig sties or sewers, and the heaviest work, such as carrying water or concrete slabs. Later he was compelled to undergo “re-education,” and when he refused to change, he was sent to Trapchi prison and kept in solitary confinement in total darkness for several months.

Finally, in early 1961 Domo Geshe Rinpoche was released from prison after repeated petitions from the government of India on his behalf. Three days after he was released, in very poor health and at the risk of his life, he began traveling by bicycle all over Lhasa and its outskirts secretly collecting texts and holy objects, which he arranged to be smuggled out of Tibet. Geshe Rinpoche gathered texts too rare to exist anywhere outside of Tibet, including a number of very precious manuscript collections. He also collected the sets of textbooks used by the different colleges of Sera, Drepung, and Ganden. Without these textbooks it would have been nearly impossible to continue the tradition of the great monastic universities in exile.

In the summer of 1961 Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche was exiled from Tibet. In extremely poor health, from which he never fully recovered, he took up residence at Tharpa Chöling Monastery, in Kalimpong, West Bengal, which was one of the monasteries the previous Domo Geshe Rinpoche had established in northern India.

In the early 1960s Tharpa Chöling was involved in a long standing dispute with Dungkar Gonpa in Tibet, a dispute which neither the Indian nor the Tibetan courts had been able to resolve. Only Domo Geshe Rinpoche, after his arrival in India, was able to solve the crisis; he did this by means of his non-partisanship and fairness, his equal treatment of all, and his uncompromising attention to all the details of monastic discipline.

In 1962, while Domo Geshe Rinpoche was in Bodh Gaya, His Holiness the Dalai Lama requested him to start Tibet House in New Delhi. An artist himself, Domo Geshe Rinpoche was an expert on Tibetan and other Buddhist art. Through his connections and because of the trust and respect Tibetans had for him, Geshe Rinpoche was able to collect many precious, holy, and ancient works of art. These were exhibited at Tibet House, New Delhi, which was inaugurated in 1965.

During his tenure as head of Tibet House, Domo Geshe Rinpoche took a Tibetan art exhibition to Japan as a cultural ambassador for His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government. In this capacity he also visited countries in Asia, Europe, and North America.

In 1966 Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche and Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche instituted an annual Ganden Ngamchö procession in Kalimpong and Darjeeling on the anniversary of the passing away of Je Tsong Khapa, during which a statue of Je Rinpoche was carried through the towns. Also, Geshe Rinpoche and the people in his immediate circle founded the Ü/Tsang Association in Kalimpong, whose headquarters only much later were transferred to Dharamsala. This association helped many of the Tibetans escaping from Tibet and also took care of the poorest in Kalimpong.

In India Domo Geshe Rinpoche was known for his extraordinary kindness, power and knowledge. He healed the sick, provided education for children and aid for the destitute. He paid equal attention to rich and poor, never favoring anyone because of their wealth or position. In his quiet self-effacing way he worked constantly to benefit others.

In 1976 Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche established the Dungkar Gonpa Society, a not-for-profit organization, in the United States. After searching for a property which would be the home of the Society, he found the land he was looking for in the Catskill Mountains of New York State. This property was offered to Rinpoche by Alexander and Sheila Hixon, and Rinpoche named the land Gangjong Namgyal, the All Victorious Snow Land.            

For the first few years Geshe Rinpoche helped take care of this land with his own hands, caring for the wildlife and plants, repairing buildings, and running machines. In addition, by the power and purity of his intent, he effected a spiritual transformation of the Snow Land. For the next twenty-five years people came to Gangjong Namgyal from all over the world to receive Rinpoche’s advice, oral transmissions and explanations, and to do retreats under Rinpoche’s guidance.

In the summer of 1981 Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche hosted His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, who spent a quiet and restful week at Gangjong Namgyal. His Holiness enjoyed the beautiful and peaceful surroundings and mentioned that the place was of great inspiration and that Dharma understanding came easily there.

Domo Geshe Rinpoche taught in the same way as his predecessor. Like him, he always acted in the manner of the perfect Kadampa, hiding his good deeds while working ceaselessly to safeguard the Buddha’s teachings.

Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche passed away on September 10, 2001, at his residence in Gangjong Namgyal.

All quoted material has been extracted from His Holiness Domo Geshe Rinpoche, A Biographical Sketch, by Dr. Ursula Bernis, copyright ©2002 by the Dungkar Gonpa Society.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen

Ven. Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen was the founder and spiritual director of Thubten Dhargye Ling. He was born in 1924 in the Kham province of eastern Tibet. His parents named him Jamphel Yeshe and at a young age he was inspired by the example of his uncle who was a monk at the local monastery. When the boy was only seven, he and his family decided that he would enter monastic life. For nine years he studied sutra and tantra and received teachings on dialectics under the tutelgae of Geshe Jampa Thaye, a highly respected teacher from Sera Monastery.

When he was sixteen, Geshe Gyeltsen decided to continue his studies and left for Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, to study for his Geshe degree at Sera Monastery. The Geshe degree in the Gelug school is comparable to a western doctorate in Buddhist philosophy. The difference is that it usually takes more than twenty years to complete.

Geshe-la set out on the thirty-three day trek across twenty-five mountain passes, the only monk in a party of fifteen merchants and pilgrims. Near Lhasa, they stopped near Gaden Monastery where some monks invited Geshe-la for tea the following day. The next morning as he climbed the hill toward Gaden, he saw the great monastery for the first time looking as though it would touch the sky. He wept tears of joy and knew without question that it was here, and not Sera, where he would continue his studies. That day was the anniversary of Lama Tsong Khapa's enlightenment. In the evening the light offerings of butter lamps and the sound of chanting filled every room in the monastery and Geshe-la felt deeply moved by its spiritual atmosphere.

He joined Shartse College, one of Gaden's two main colleges. The abbot at that time was the late Kyabje Zong Rinpoche who took a special interest in the young monk's progress. Geshe Gyeltsen studied logic, wisdom, compassion, ethics, phenomenology and mind training at Gaden for twenty years and later became a teacher of junior monks.

After the Tibetan Uprising of March 10th, 1959, word reached Gaden that the Dalai Lama had left Tibet. Geshe-la and a group of six other monks left the monastery after evening prayers and made their way to india across the Himalayas; members of a mass exodus fleeing the oppression of the Chinese Communist occupation. Geshe-la was one of the few senior monks who managed to escape out of the twenty thousand monks that had lived at Gaden, Sera and Drepung, Tibet's three largest monasteries.

Geshe Gyeltsen, with fifty of the most highly regarded monks from each monastery, resettled at Dalhousie in northern India where he studied for two more years before taking his final Geshe examinations. These were attended by masters from all schools of Tibetan Buddhism. The last week of his exams took place in Dharamsala where Geshe-la engaged in rigorous debates under the scrutiny of the Dalai Lama and his two senior tutors, the late Ling Rinpoche and the late Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. He passed with honors and was awarded the highest degree of Lharampa Geshe.

In 1963 Geshe-la traveled to Sussex, England to teach at the Pestalozzi International Children's Village. He arrived with twenty-two Tibetan children who were mostly orphans or the children of parents still living in Tibet. For seven years Geshe-la instructed these children in Tibetan writing, grammar, culture and Buddhist philosophy.

Geshe Gyeltsen came to the United States in 1976 and briefly held positions at USC, UC Santa Barbara, and at UCLA where he taught meditation and Tibetan language. His university students requested that he start a teaching center and in 1978 Geshe-la founded a center for the study of Buddhism in Los Angeles.

Geshe-la requested His Holiness the Dalai Lama to name the center and His Holiness gave the name of Thubten Dhargye Ling, which means Land of Flourishing Dharma. Thubten Dhargye Ling is now based in Long Beach where Geshe Gyeltsen's teaching tradition continues through classes in meditation, retreats, celebrations of religious holidays and the regular weekly teachings of traditional Buddhist texts.

Geshe Gyeltsen was the author of "Compassion: The Key to Great Awakening," a commentary on the Eight Verses of Mind Training and the Thirty-seven Practices of a Bodhisattva, and a free book on emptiness "Mirror of Wisdom." He founded centers in both Colorado and Texas and has students based in Mexico, Alaska, Omaha and England. Geshe-la was involved in the Buddhist Sangha Council of Southern California, a group of representatives from various Buddhist countries dedicated to further understanding between Buddhist cultures. He actively worked for human rights and true autonomy for the Tibetan people. One of his goals was to further education and religious study in Tibetan communities throughout India.

Geshe Gyeltsen was known for his great compassion and personal warmth; yet he retained a very traditional and uncompromising approach to teaching the Dharma. His strength of vision and devotion to his practice transcended time and culture, and he continues to inspire his students with the legacy he brought from Tibet.

Geshela passed away on February 13, 2009 and is greatly missed by all his students and friends. For more details on his passing please read the winter 2008 newsletter and the funeral ceremony page.

http://www.tdling.org/teacher

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »
Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen's passing

We were told many things by many Lamas about the significance of the many events surrounding Ven. Geshela’s passing, but here is an incomplete list of some of the things that stand out as evidences that Ven. Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen was a very realized and accomplished being.

1. The great rainbow that formed just as Geshela left his clear light meditation.
2. Geshela’s holy body remained perfectly for 3 days 3 hours during his clear light meditation.
3. Staying in clear light for relatively shorter time indicates a quicker rebirth.
4. Geshela’s holy body was preserved throughout the long flight to India despite everything.
5. The monks who prepared the holy body discovered that it had become smaller and it was pliable to set in the lotus posture. This they found very remarkable considering the long period of transportation.
6. There were very few obstacles, mistakes, or problems arising to interfere with the funeral proceedings. It all went almost perfectly.
7. The first smoke went to the West and slightly North, and will be considered one clue to the direction in which to find Geshela’s next incarnation.
8. When the “Fire House” was opened we witnessed that Geshela had left what was described to us as an extremely rare and exceptional type of relic. Among the fragments that were left was a formation that the ritual expert who conducted the ceremony explained to us was the “eye, tongue, and heart”; an impression or formation associated with the body, speech, and mind. Again, this is considered a sign of very high spiritual accomplishment.
9. Upon the sand mandala at the base of the Fire House the ritual master discerned a small footprint formation that also faced in the North West direction. He interpreted this to mean that Ven. Geshela would be reborn soon and in a direction North West of Gaden Monastery.
10. A few days later, Ven. Kyabje Lati Rinpoche mentioned, in a humorous way, that this might mean Geshela could be born in America.

Here is my favorite picture of Geshe-la. He had the most amazing smile. We miss you Geshe-la!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:00:03 PM by Tenzin Sungrab »

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
Tenzin Sungrab,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt sharing about Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen. Could you please share how long you have been with Geshe-la? Also, do you have pics of the time when HH Zong Rinpoche visited TDL in the '80s?

Hoping,

love
Kate
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
My favorite anecdote about Geshe-la is when he went to the local diner with some of his students after the Sunday Teachings. Geshe-la sat in back with some of the others from TDL, rather close to a group of rowdy teenagers. The teens were very noisy and at one point came up to Geshe-la and in a rather rude tone asked "what's up with the robes?" Geshe-la very patiently explained that he was a monk and the robes were an outward expression of his inner faith. Many who were with Geshe-la were very upset and embarrassed that their precious Teacher was talked to so rudely and with such little respect. However, as Geshe-la and the entire group was leaving the diner, Geshe-la joyfully remarked how pleasant and respectful the boys were. Wow, what a teaching that was. 
Geshe-la, everything you did was a Teaching for us. We love you and are waiting for your swift return to help guide us migrators to fields of bliss.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:10:56 PM by Tenzin Sungrab »

honeydakini

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:30 AM »
whhooooot!

Thanks to the great people in admin who are adding lots of new articles about the lamas!

Have you all noticed the nice new articles in the "very interesting reads" section? There's a nice uplifting positive vibe going here, where a little balance is starting to create waves. Thanks to WEBSITE ADMIN!!!

The stories about these great Lamas serve to remind us of why we are in Dharma in the first place. If there are beings like that - with such clear minds and incredible actions - then that state of mind IS possible to work towards. I believe in the dharma when I read about or meet these lamas.

I was reading a few of these bios (and also what has been posted here - thank you to all who have posted) and was reminded yet again that while Dorje Shugden is an important part of our practice, what he really wants is for us to really put the Dharma teachings into practice and embody them... this is what biographies of these great lamas and of course, our very own Gurus, show us. They are remembered and renowned for their ardent practice, study and teachings of the Lamrim, the tantras of the many deities, their charitable works, their courage in preserving and bringing the teachings to the world (thus preserving the entire lineage and traditions of tibetan Buddhism). That, to me, is the true heart of Dorje Shugden - propitiation to him, among other things, makes the accomplishment for all these things possible as he constantly strives to remove obstacles on our path of gaining results and attainments for the benefit of others. In reading these bios, you see in an instant how consistent and compassionate all the Lamas are - no matter where they are, where they've come from or who they're teaching. Their actions, strength, practice and care for their students is exactly what my own Guru has shown us over the years; it is incredibly humbling.

I'm super stoked now after reading all those articles. i'm going to be enlightened by tomorrow. Just you watch!

Geronimo

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »
Before Enlightenment,
Chop firewood,
carry water.
After Enlightenment,
chop firewood,
carry water!

Protecting the Dharma
Is What We Do!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:18:30 PM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Big Uncle

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:40:07 AM »
I heard a true story from a dear friend on the Internet and he heard this from Gaden. He told me that there was a humble and simple old monk who tended to the water pump. He did not reveal himself as a great scholar nor a great practitioner so he was not really noticed very much in Gaden except his great service of providing water for everyday use. However when he passed away, he stayed in clear light meditation for three whole days. His body was upright and in full meditation posture when he passed away. In the monastery, whether Gaden Shatse or Shar Gaden, many of the Sangha members are living Bodhisattvas, always humble and never revealing their attainments. We too, should follow in their hallowed footsteps.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
My favorite anecdote about Geshe-la is when he went to the local diner with some of his students after the Sunday Teachings. Geshe-la sat in back with some of the others from TDL, rather close to a group of rowdy teenagers. The teens were very noisy and at one point came up to Geshe-la and in a rather rude tone asked "what's up with the robes?" Geshe-la very patiently explained that he was a monk and the robes were an outward expression of his inner faith. Many who were with Geshe-la were very upset and embarrassed that their precious Teacher was talked to so rudely and with such little respect. However, as Geshe-la and the entire group was leaving the diner, Geshe-la joyfully remarked how pleasant and respectful the boys were. Wow, what a teaching that was. 
Geshe-la, everything you did was a Teaching for us. We love you and are waiting for your swift return to help guide us migrators to fields of bliss.

Dear Tenzin Sungrab,

Thank you for sharing this anecdote. This is a wonderful lesson from an excellent Master like Geshe-la. Please can you share more.. with pictures?

Love
Kate

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being