Author Topic: Is Buddhism bewitched with superstition?  (Read 10087 times)

RedLantern

Is Buddhism bewitched with superstition?
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
Buddhism as a religion can seem like a double-sided coin.On one side,we see it as this ancient philosophy rooted in the mind and practical pursuits,devoid of omnipresent gods.
On the other side,we see that there is a myriad of rituals and ceremonies,vivid supernatural imaginary and prayer to various beings.What's going on?Is Buddhism truly "superstitious"?
"The dharma is a great ocean which we enter by faith and cross by the power of wisdom" from the
Mahaprajnaparamita Shastra.

OMB

Re: Is Buddhism bewitched with superstition?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its adherents and it's far from superstitions. Buddha urge us to pursue wisdom and teaches us to cultivate the strength of will-power, wisdom, understanding of Mind and self-nature.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
In which faith, religion or belief system do you not find some form of action, performance or stories that some people can class as superstition? In this case as we are on a forum dedicate to Dorje Shugden, as such i assume that you refer to the the myriad rituals and ceremonies existent in Tibetan Buddhism. Please correct me if I am wrong. In any case since I practice Tibetan Buddhism, (and even that not well), I will try to answer this question from my own opinion, please bear in mind that I am not well versed in any ritual, ceremonies or prayers.

All of these things that  have been mentioned have existed in cultures from time immemorial. They are ways in which people seek a connection with the divine, be it within or outside of once self. It creates a sense of identity, that distinguishes the practitioner from others who have differing views.

But more than that, reminds or inspires a practitioner of what needs to be done, how to act, and how to progress in one's spiritual path. For arguments sake let us take the stance that the Buddha taught purely one technique on transforming the mind and nothing else. For this to enter the mindstreams of those present may have been an easy task (there are many stories in the Sutras that tell of various people gaining high realisations and attaining meditative states merely upon hearing the Buddha speak the Dharma). But do you really think that the Buddha in his omniscience, as his title implies, would limit the way he taught and the methods that his Dharma to be taught to simply one way.

We all know that people are of differing mental intelligences and each of us have our own interests, so wouldn't the Buddhadharma be more appropriately spread in various forms than just one that tries to reach the subtle levels of a persons mind through a single technique?

In the case of Tibetan Buddhism, it is historically evident that the Dharma appropriated elements from the religion of Bon, the native religion of Tibet at the time that the great Santarakshita and the tantric adept Guru Rinpoche came to Tibet to establish the order of the Sangha within its borders. Why is this negative? They adapted the Dharma to suit the needs of the people living in that country as they were already seeped in a faith that relied heavily on what Redlantern, labels as superstition. But is that a bad thing?

Outer rituals, outlandish stories, vivid imagery and prayers to various beings is external but I'm sure most of this could be translated internally into our own practice. A Tibetan Buddhist centre I visited when I was a teenager, talked about 2 methods that they used for higher practices pertaining to achieving a level of meditative absorption necessary to reach the precipice of enlightenment. One was the tradition of Mahamudra, in which one works directly on the level of the mind - how it works, how to see it clearly, methods to calm it, how to understand it completely so that one can achieve enlightenment. On the other hand there was the Highest Yoga Practice of Vajrayogini and the way it was practiced at this centre involved much ritual, prayers and ceremonies at the beginning and ended with intense visualizations that changed the subtle makeup of a person's existence.

I asked the Lama why they didn't practice just one method. He laughed and told me, not all people have the same intelligence and not all people have the same karma. Some people are drawn to the practice of Mahamudra, others to Vajrayogini, others to a mixture of both and others to different techniques not taught at the centre. It depends of the practitioner. It can even be used as a method to draw people to the Dharma, such as myself. There is however the danger of Buddhism falling in to the crevasse of mere superstitious practices, but if there are people who know the meaning behind such practices and can elucidate clearly so that they are practiced correctly, sincerely and with a good motivation these practices can be of benefit to people along the path.

This is my belief anyway.

brian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
I personally do not think Buddhism is being superstitious... in fact Buddhism gave me logic. I found answers in questions that i couldn't answer before. Understanding the whole fact in Buddhism gave me a concrete believe in the nature of samsara and the Four Noble Truths. It gives me a lot of understanding about how things happened and the existence of other beings in this world. If believing in ghost is superstitious then it is simply silly. By simply believing in the existence of God and ghost (which actually exists in this world of samsara) does not mean that we are being superstitious. Making offerings to the Buddhas is not superstitious at all if we understand why we are making it and when we see oracle taking trance.

Positive Change

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »
Superstition in my opinion seems to always stem from lack of knowledge and often relying on the unknown "forces" to explain the extraordinary or what seems mystical.

Here is an example of what seems like superstition based upon someone who may not know:
extracted from brilliant writings of http://www.alanpeto.com/buddhism/buddhist-superstition/

Bathing the Buddha

When it comes to the Buddha himself, some scoff at Buddhists praying to statues or pictures of him. But that’s not what’s really going on. To non-Buddhists, it may seem that bowing or prostration to an image or statue of the Buddha is treating the Buddha as a god or supernatural figure. Actually, when a Buddhist bows or prostrates to the Buddha, this is how we show our humility, appreciation, and respect, for the Buddha as our teacher.

The Buddha is a teacher because he understood the true nature of things and taught others

He became a respected person because he vowed to liberate all sentient beings from suffering

He showed humanity how to better themselves by teaching love, kindness, and compassion

When a Buddhist bows before the Buddha, they are doing the following:

Reminding themselves of their own Buddha nature

Examining their own mind

Renewing their vow to remove any obstacles from their mind and life that prevent them from becoming enlightened

Manifesting kindness and compassion

Vowing to benefit all sentient beings

Letting go of their own ego

There are those who do not see it this way, and are taught to “pray” to the Buddha (as if he is a supernatural being) for health, wealth, or other things the person wants.  This, of course, has nothing to do with Buddhism.

What about bathing the Buddha?  When I first saw this a long time ago, I initially thought “oh there is yet another pointless ritual”.  But in fact, this is a highly symbolic way for a practitioner to symbolize these concepts:

Purifying the body

Purifying the speech

Purifying the mind

So, you’re not really “cleaning” the Buddha (he had his shower today, thank you very much), but instead you are showing that you aspire to “cleanse” you mind of greed, hatred, and delusion.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
To me, I do not think Buddhism have any trait of superstition within it. Most of the superstitions linked to Buddhist practice are merely man-made or started by some clueless people. Very true, in Tibetan Buddhism, there are lots of rituals and restrictions to be adhered to, but these must not be confused with baseless superstitious beliefs. I reckon the best way to avoid these confusions is to follow the advice of one's teacher.

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Superstition can be defined as a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.

If we look into Buddhism, there is simply no element of superstition or blind faith! Why is it so? Buddha had advised his followers to personally  investigate, experience, and conclude for themselves what he had taught before accepting and practising Dharma. We can apply logic and  reasoning to prove the validity of a phenomenon before accepting the phenomenon.

Faith in Buddhist practices comes from understanding, wisdom and realising that Buddha had only taught us the truths and is only interested to benefit us 100%.

Tenzin K

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
All ailments have cures but not superstitions. And if for some reason or other, any superstition crystallizes into a religion, it easily becomes an almost incurable malady. In the performance of certain religious functions, even educated people of today forget their human dignity to accept the most ridiculous, superstitious beliefs.

Superstitious beliefs and rituals were adopted to decorate a religion in order to attract the multitude. But after sometime, the creeper which is planted to decorate the shrine as it were, outgrows and outshines the shrine, with the result that religious tenets are relegated to the background and superstitious beliefs and rituals become predominant?the creeper eclipsing the shrine.

Before the development of scientific knowledge, ignorant people had many superstitious beliefs. For example a lot of people believed that the eclipse of the sun and moon brought bad luck and pestilence. Today we know that such beliefs are not true. Again some unscrupulous religionists encourage people to believe in superstitions so that they can make use of their followers for their own 'benefit'. When people have truly purified their minds of ignorance, they will see the universe as it really is and they will not suffer from superstition and dogmatism. This is the 'salvation' that Buddhists aspire to.

It is extremely difficult for us to break up the emotional feeling that is attached to superstition or dogmatic belief. Even the light of scientific knowledge is often not strong enough to cause us to give up the misconceptions. For example, we have noticed for generations that the earth moves round the sun; but experientially we still behold the sun rising, moving across the sky, and setting in the evening. We still have to make an intellectual leap to imagine that we are, in fact, hurtling at great speed around the sun.

We must understand that the dangers of dogmatism and superstition go hand-in-hand with religion. The time has come for wise people to separate religion from dogmatism and superstition. Otherwise, the good name of religion will be polluted and the number of non-believers will be increased, as they have already.

Matibhadra

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
On the other side,we see that there is a myriad of rituals and ceremonies,vivid supernatural imaginary and prayer to various beings.What's going on?Is Buddhism truly "superstitious"?

You did not manage to make your point. Why do you believe that ”myriad rituals and ceremonies and vivid supernatural imaginary and prayers to various beings” have something to do with superstition?

Such practices are millenia-old methods, whose effectiveness is certified by extensive experience to bring happiness to their practitioners and to others. Not only they are logical and supported by experience, but also there is absolutely nothing in such methods which contradicts logic or direct experience.

Therefore, it is hard to figure out where is the ”superstition” you claim to see. Maybe you are seeing to much, or maybe you are just belching some preconceived ideas based on religious fanaticism or pseudo-scientific dogmas.

For instance, one can say for sure that the monotheistic idea of a ”God” is a superstition, because it flatly contradicts reason. Also, one can say that much of modern pseudo-scientific dogmas, such as the relativity theory, is as much superstitious, because of directly contradicting experience.

Nevertheless, with so much superstition around to keep one busy, some people start to look for ”superstition” where there is not even a hint of such, such as in Buddhist teachings, which are so logical, and so much grounded on experience.

Of course there are many topics in Buddhist teachings which cannot be shown by logic alone. However, they were explained by the Buddha who, as opposed to other teachers, was never defeated on the topics which can be demonstrated by logic, and therefore is alone reliable on those other topics.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:48:48 AM »
Superstition is when someone believe something that has no basis and is basically not true. Some superstition when followed does no harm but give the followers some good feeling. Like the western superstition of "Something new, something old, something borrowed, something blue" during a wedding. This is what the bride is supposed to have.
Some superstition increase the hope of the followers and can cause harm either by ignoring the correct remedy or by advocating ignorance. Some cult believe that when one is sick, God will take care of the patient and does not see medical help.
Buddhism does not condone superstition and the Buddha's teaching itself is not based on superstition. Everything in Buddhism that people think is superstition can be explained logically. But because we have limited intellectual capacity, sometime we think we should just have faith and believe but at the same time some other people call these not understood teachings/events superstitions.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »
Many of these so called superstitious acts or rituals were brought down from centuries of practice. They were developed to suit the situation at that time. They were practiced in a different era, different geographical environment, in different cultures etc. However they were proven to be effective in bringing people to the Dharma, which makes it the most important point. Hence, I don't see any negativity in adopting it if the motivation is pure.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
I personally think that Buddhism is not bewitched with superstitions. In fact all the rituals that comes with the practice of Buddhism actually has symbolic meanings. Buddhism teaches us to be compassion and also to have wisdom whereas superstitious is merely a belief. A belief when there is no faith in one's teacher.

kris

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
just my opinions about buddhism in this era...

1) if we focus on the philosophical aspect of buddhism, it is a way of life, and most people can accept it. Some of the aspects most people can accept are: be kind, karma (cause & effect), meditation, etc.

2) certain teachings which normal people can't see, most may perceive it as superstitious.. for example, many people think that believing in the existence of ghosts (which most people cannot see) is superstitious; many people think that believing in puja will help people is superstitious. etc. My lama told me that in monastery, when there is a problem, they will engage in puja and things will be OK; but many people will think it is superstitious..

3) from my own experience, i think certain level of blind faith is required when we are in more advanced level buddhism. for exmaple Guru Devotion, after we have checked out the Guru's quality, we submit ourselves fully to the Guru, but at times, Guru may do something which we cannot comprehend but we just follow blindly. another example is: for higher trainings and teachings, we may not have the wisdom to understand them and therefore, we just need to believe and do it...

so, imho, certain aspects of buddhism will fall under the superstitious category :)

diablo1974

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 07:04:08 AM »
Buddhism is not superstitious. Different people understand Buddhism differently. Most important to me is whichever benefits the person. A highly educated Buddhist might see another uneducated Buddhist doing things that are considered superstitious to him/her. It doesn't mean that its superstitious. If there is a need to justify if its a superstitious act or not, we need to justify it with dharma and/or consult a qualified person such as your spiritual guide or Guru.

Matibhadra

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
2) certain teachings which normal people can't see, most may perceive it as superstitious.. for example, many people think that believing in the existence of ghosts (which most people cannot see) is superstitious; many people think that believing in puja will help people is superstitious. etc. My lama told me that in monastery, when there is a problem, they will engage in puja and things will be OK; but many people will think it is superstitious..

”Many people” is no source of valid knowledge. According to Buddhism, there are two sources of valid knowledge, which are direct perception and inference. Caring too much about the unwarranted opinions of ”many people”, as you obviously do, is itself a case of superstition.

3) from my own experience, i think certain level of blind faith is required when we are in more advanced level buddhism. for exmaple Guru Devotion, after we have checked out the Guru's quality, we submit ourselves fully to the Guru, but at times, Guru may do something which we cannot comprehend but we just follow blindly.

Maybe you do it, but this is not Buddhism. Buddhism never requires blind faith. If it requires blind faith, it is not Buddhism.

another example is: for higher trainings and teachings, we may not have the wisdom to understand them and therefore, we just need to believe and do it...

Again, this is just your own misunderstanding, not Buddhism. Everything in Buddhism is based on understanding.

so, imho, certain aspects of buddhism will fall under the superstitious category

Rather, only your own misconceptions fall under the category of superstition. They have zero to do with Buddhism.