Author Topic: Statement of Pomra Kamtsen  (Read 9701 times)

DharmaSpace

Statement of Pomra Kamtsen
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
A nice find from the team. Back in 2008 it probably seems like a good thing to do in 2008 for them and a very civilized way too to make known what they don't agree to.

The monks in Sera in the pomra khamtsen really protested in such an elegant manner. Good for them to finally breakaway into Serpom Monastery.

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=7621

1. This community of the Sera-Mey College has remained in peace and harmony, without ever having any conflict or schism, since the founding of the Sera monastery by Jamchen Choeche Shakya Yeshe in the year 1419 in Tibet, until now.

2. After coming to India we have shared spiritual and material experiences, with all the other monasteries mutually and in particular within our own college. The community has lived together harmoniously without any problems or discord, sharing good and bad times together.

3. The deity Dorje Shugden has been worshipped in Tibet for the last 350 years. This Pomra department of Sera-Mey monastery has been relying on this deity as its special protector for the last 236 years. This is for us purely a practice of Dharma without any political implications.

4. This Sera-Mey college is a community which is registered under the laws of the government of India. In its by-laws it is stated, that anybody who wishes to enter this college has the equal right to do so, without any discrimination regarding race, country, province, or whatever. However, last year, 28 Tibetans did not receive the right to enter into this monastery on the bases of being devotees of Dorje Shugden.

5. Since the worship of this deity was banned in 1996 up until now the monastery gradually has prevented those people who worship the deity from obtaining higher positions in the monastic administration. However, we remained without complaint, concentrating on the study of the Dharma, and have thus sacrificed all monastic statuses.

6. In this monastery Sera-Mey, the monks of our department have until now, and continually are, fulfilling diligently and wholeheartedly the various branches of activities for the service of the monastery. According to the rules of this monastery for the appointment of functionaries, suitable candidates are selected, and then the final decision is brought in front of the Dharmapala Ta-ok (the protector of the college).

There, by throwing dough-balls with name (a kind of lottery) the functionaries are assigned. It is not permitted to refuse an appointment. Whoever does not want to take the responsibility after appointment has to be expelled. This being the rule for appointing monastic functionaries, it is obvious, that what has been mentioned before totally contradicts the principles of this monastery.

7. Now we face the condition, that without any reason of contravening rules or regulations of the monastery, those who rely on the deity Dorje Shugden, are expelled from the monastery, from school, and from offices. Therefore we have made up our mind to oppose this injustice in accordance with the law.

8. The procedures of the compulsory oath the monks had to take “not to share any spiritual or material relation with anybody who is worshipping Dorje Shugden”, as well as the signature-campaigns to this effect, are not only in contradiction with the Dharma, but also in contradiction with any law. This problem is not created by us. So who has created it? Such behaviour is not in harmony with Buddhist view and conduct, and it contradicts the rules of the peace-loving world. If there is no internal peace, then how can one speak about universal peace and harmony?

9. From Dec. 20th 2007 until the 6th of this month, due to this emergency situation, there have been six meetings trying to deal with this situation in the monastery. But since the whole problem has not been created by the monastery, and also exists on an intercollege level, it is agreed unanimously that there is nothing we can do about it. There are two committees responsible for these new rules of swearing and voting, so they are fully responsible for the situation. We would therefore like to bring these committees to court and hopefully come to a final decision there.

10. From the so-called Geden-committee a postponement has been given until the 9th of February 2008. Nevertheless, on the 26th of January, the republic day of India, the general kitchen of the monastery was closed, followed by a closing of the school and the medical clinic and all other branches.

11. With regards to this trouble we make our request with great hope to the government of India and the human rights committee, to act as witness, and in accordance to the convenience of time, we want both sides to meet in court to have this issue decided there.

12. Until now, thanks to the government and the people of India and thanks to the democratic constitution of this great country, we received a place to live, all the sustenance for our living, and have all the chance to enjoy all our religious activities.

We can never forget this kindness of the government and the people of India. And also in future we have no-one else to go for help. We have clear proof of the points we are appealing for the be facts, so we request the government of this great nation as witness of truth.

beggar

Re: Statement of Pomra Kamtsen
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Thank you for posting this. it definitely gives us strength to see how devoted and stable the Sangha of Pomra Khangtsen are towards their practice and lineage. What they have stated here is very clear and very logical. It is very insightful to also see how they have pointed out decisions and rules within the monasteries are being so openly flouted in the name of this ban. It seems the only thing illogical about this whole situation and this practice is the ban itself - it goes against the logic of Dharma AND the basic secular logic of the way the monasteries are being run.

most importantly... what impresses upon me is the way this statement is written. How very gentle the monks are! While they are the ones being most suppressed and openly attacked, they show what a true Dharma practitioner is by responding with so much respect, humility and gentleness. They never speak badly of the Dalai Lama, nor directly criticise anyone. They just state clearly what is already known by everyone in their community and express their sincere wish to practise. When we compare this to the brutal attacks, ostracism and witchhunts, it is very clear which which "practice" is the more beneficial, and much more Buddhist one.

They reflect their Lamas and their Protector very well. Unfortunately, the ones on the other side of the fence, do not reflect the Dalai Lama, nor their lamas and practice well at all.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
Thank you, Dharma Defender for sharing this.

The monks held their dignity from the very beginning to the end, i.e leaving Sera.

When we can no longer find a place of refuge, we will build our own.

This is what happened and this is why we have Serpom and Shar Gaden today.

In fact, if things did not turn out the way they did, these DS monasteries cannot come to be.

Now, whether it is a good thing or a necessary chain of events, these are debatable.

However, one cannot deny that it is the DS monasteries which are growing and thriving on their own. They are independent and they are flourishing. They may not be able to do what they do now, with such liberty if they were still attached within their ex-monasteries.

When I look at how things have transpired, on one hand, it is very tragic but on the other, it may be the necessary first leap into something bigger. No different than how China invaded Tibet 50 odd years ago. Without China doing that, Tibetan Buddhism cannot achieve its current state of recognition and acceptability.

Can you imagine how many millions of people who would not have otherwise got to know or even be interested in Dharma if China had not invaded Tibet?

Sometimes, some very harsh things have to be endured for the sake of Dharma. Isn't it all worth it?

This is the question I ask myself every day.

Whether we see it as a purification or not, whether we like it or not, let the results prove themselves.

So far, many people will agree that without the Chinese's invasion, Tibetan Buddhism may not even step out of the closet of Tibet's snow mountains.

A period of pain and suffering endured for the greater good of many more, is that not worth it? Is that not what Dharma is really all about? I mean, real life practising Dharma.

I see the DS monasteries grow and new ones coming up as a very good thing. I see this as a real sign that bigger things will come, because certain causes have already been planted and set in motion.

For this, I do sincerely rejoice.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
Monastery houses beings who have taken vows to not harm, to cultivate qualities to be of benefit to others. And that's what this great monastery did since 1419.

Who would have guessed that today, this monastery split over a deity who have been worshiped for the past 350 years.

It breaks my heart reading this statement by monks of Pomra Kamtsen….at the same time, their heroic courage, and stoic faith shines through so brightly, from which i draw much inspiration.

Many of these monks exiled into India, risking their lives in hopes to be close to the Dalai Lama, and to continue their religious practices with freedom. It did not turn out this way for many. Ordained and lay people are subjected to the same persecutions.

In the end, the monks thank the kind Indian government for upholding the democratic constitution and providing for their bare necessities of sustenance and religious freedom. This is all the monks who dedicates their lives to practice asks for.

I am so proud of these monks who so happened to be Dorje Shugden practitioners.  This only goes to show that practitioners of Dorje Shugden are incredible beings who hold their vows all the way!

beggar

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
I learned something interesting recently about why Ganden and Sera have had colleges that "broke away" from them to start up their own monasteries (Shar Gaden and Serpom, respectively), but Drepung doesnt. May be something useful for forum readers to know.

Each monastery has their own Dharma Protector; also each college within the monastery (such as Ganden Shartse / Ganden Jangtse) and each khamtsen.

In this case, Dokhang Khamtsen of Ganden and Pomra Khamtsen of Sera had (has) Dorje Shugden as their protector, so the situation become very difficult when the ban was imposed. How would an entire Khamtsen renounce their whole protector practice? In Drepung, there is no khamtsen which holds Dorje Shugden specifically as their khamtsen protector, which is why they have no college or khamtsen that has split off (whether they may be practising quietly and secretly as individuals is a different matter of course!)

This is what I have heard, which was a very nice clarification to receive. If anyone has any further information, please do add on.

triesa

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
I learned something interesting recently about why Ganden and Sera have had colleges that "broke away" from them to start up their own monasteries (Shar Gaden and Serpom, respectively), but Drepung doesnt. May be something useful for forum readers to know.

Each monastery has their own Dharma Protector; also each college within the monastery (such as Ganden Shartse / Ganden Jangtse) and each khamtsen.

In this case, Dokhang Khamtsen of Ganden and Pomra Khamtsen of Sera had (has) Dorje Shugden as their protector, so the situation become very difficult when the ban was imposed. How would an entire Khamtsen renounce their whole protector practice? In Drepung, there is no khamtsen which holds Dorje Shugden specifically as their khamtsen protector, which is why they have no college or khamtsen that has split off (whether they may be practising quietly and secretly as individuals is a different matter of course!)

This is what I have heard, which was a very nice clarification to receive. If anyone has any further information, please do add on.

Thanks Beggar for pointing this out. It makes a lot of sense. With no Khamtsen in Drepung that hold Dorje Shogden as their protector, outwardly there is no need for any split. But I am quite sure many monks there may be practising quitely.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:05:07 AM »
Just to clarify:

The special protector of Dokhang was Namse.
The special protector of Pomra was Taok.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »
Just to clarify:

The special protector of Dokhang was Namse.
The special protector of Pomra was Taok.

The special protector of Pomra Khamtsen when it was part of Sera Mey was Pelden Hlamo and Dorje Shugden simultaneous. Yes they have two protectors.
The special protector of Sera Mey is Thaok and still is. Every khamtsen in Sera Mey would do Thaok together with their khamtsen protector monthly.

So Pomra did monthly pujas to Thaok, Pelden Hlamo and Dorje Shugden for hundreds of years. Every khamtsen would do their monthly pujas to their khamtsen protector as well as the monastic protector monthly.

tk

Drepung Gomang-6 armed Mahakala
Drepung Loseling-4 faced Mahakala

Gaden Jangtze-Pelden Hlamo
Gaden Shartse-Setrap Chen

Sera Je-Thamthing Yangsang
Sera Me-Thaok or Taok (either spelling ok)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:49:21 AM »

Thanks Beggar for pointing this out. It makes a lot of sense. With no Khamtsen in Drepung that hold Dorje Shogden as their protector, outwardly there is no need for any split. But I am quite sure many monks there may be practising quitely.

For hundreds of years DREPUNG GOMANG MONASTERY- NGARI KHAMTSEN'S principal protector was DORJE SHUGDEN. The Dalai Lama's brother (Ngari Rinpoche) belonged to this khamtsen till he disrobed and didn't continue any pronounced dharma work till now. Interesting to note that Ngari Rinpoche is considered one of the incarnations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen.

Ngari Khamtsen did their monthly Dorje Shugden pujas within Drepung Gomang. These days, I am not sure, perhaps removed. But historically it was their protector for hundreds of years.

TK

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
Hmmm this is very intriguing! Every monastery and khamtsen have their very own Protector. I think even secular departments and organizations would have their very own Protector too! Wouldn't it be great if a nation like China would adopt Dorje Shugden as their main Protector and every year, the government would commission the great monasteries in the Tibetan region to perform large pujas to Dorje Shugden.

Then, every city in China would have a large cathedral dedicated to Lama Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden. That would be very nice and beneficial for the Chinese people! Love that idea. Just to add to this, the Chinese government spend huge amount of money from their coffers to spread Dorje Shugden all over the world. This would surely bring the last renaissance of Buddhism on earth before the dark ages sets in.