Author Topic: Melody of the Unceasing Vajra - A Praise to Dorje Shugden by HH 14th Dalai Lama  (Read 7249 times)

honeydakini

Melody of the Unceasing Vajra
By the Supreme Victor, the Great 14th Dalai Lama
A Propitiation of Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden

HUM!
Glory of the wisdom, compassion and power of infinite Buddhas
Miraculously powerful Protector of Manjushri Tsongkhapa’s teachings
Arisen as a lord of all wrathful worldly hosts
Come from the abodes of Tushita, Kechara, and so forth!

Prostrating with devotion of body, speech, and mind
I confess all mistakes and faults in which
Out of delusion, I have contradicted your holy mind:
Accept with forbearance and show your smiling face!

Arising from the sport of non-dual bliss and void
Are offerings and torma of flesh and blood heaped like a mountain
First portions of milk, yogurt, beer and tea swirling like the ocean

Auspicious signs and substances and various animals
Peaceful and wrathful ornaments, enemy-destroying weapons and armour
Amassed samaya substances, outer, inner, and secret, without exception!

Having fulfilled your heart commitment and purified degeneration
By making these actually arranged and visualized offerings
Increase Lozang the Victorious One’s Teachings
And the life span and activities of the Teachings’ upholders!
Further the happiness of beings in the Gaden [Podrang] dominion!

Especially pacify all harm to us, the yogis and entourages
That arises because of previous karma and immediate conditions
And spontaneously accomplish, just as we wish
All good things, both spiritual and temporal!

Grind to dust without remainder
Enemy hordes that think and act perversely
Towards the teachings and lay and ordained people
With potent, accurate, powerful great vajra fire!

Especially, cause the saffron-clad community of Dungkar Monastery
Brightly beautiful in bonds of pure morality
To soar the path of immortal liberation
On unified wings of Sutra and Tantra!

In brief, we enthrone you, O Deity, as the supreme
Collected nature of all Gurus and Protective Deities!
From densely gathered clouds of the four activities
Pour down a cool rain of the two siddhis!

pgdharma

Melody of the Unceasing Vajra
By the Supreme Victor, the Great 14th Dalai Lama
A Propitiation of Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden

HUM!
Glory of the wisdom, compassion and power of infinite Buddhas
Miraculously powerful Protector of Manjushri Tsongkhapa’s teachings
Arisen as a lord of all wrathful worldly hosts
Come from the abodes of Tushita, Kechara, and so forth!

Prostrating with devotion of body, speech, and mind
I confess all mistakes and faults in which
Out of delusion, I have contradicted your holy mind:
Accept with forbearance and show your smiling face!

Arising from the sport of non-dual bliss and void
Are offerings and torma of flesh and blood heaped like a mountain
First portions of milk, yogurt, beer and tea swirling like the ocean

Auspicious signs and substances and various animals
Peaceful and wrathful ornaments, enemy-destroying weapons and armour
Amassed samaya substances, outer, inner, and secret, without exception!

Having fulfilled your heart commitment and purified degeneration
By making these actually arranged and visualized offerings
Increase Lozang the Victorious One’s Teachings
And the life span and activities of the Teachings’ upholders!
Further the happiness of beings in the Gaden [Podrang] dominion!

Especially pacify all harm to us, the yogis and entourages
That arises because of previous karma and immediate conditions
And spontaneously accomplish, just as we wish
All good things, both spiritual and temporal!

Grind to dust without remainder
Enemy hordes that think and act perversely
Towards the teachings and lay and ordained people
With potent, accurate, powerful great vajra fire!

Especially, cause the saffron-clad community of Dungkar Monastery
Brightly beautiful in bonds of pure morality
To soar the path of immortal liberation
On unified wings of Sutra and Tantra!

In brief, we enthrone you, O Deity, as the supreme
Collected nature of all Gurus and Protective Deities!
From densely gathered clouds of the four activities
Pour down a cool rain of the two siddhis!

MAY I NEVER BE SEPARATED FROM DORJE SHUGDEN IN THIS LIVE AND FUTURE LIVES.

Helena

• Email
Thank you, HD for this.

I just read the Prayer to DS written by the 5th Dalai Lama in the website - http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=4252. How interesting that these two Dalai Lamas were the only ones noted to have written praises or prayers to DS.

Prayer by the 5th Dalai Lama to Dorje Shugden

HUM

Though unmoving from the sphere of primordial spontaneity,
With wrathful turbulent power, swifter than lightning,
Endowed with heroic courage to judge good and bad,
I invite you with faith, please come to this place!

Robes of a monk, crown adorned with rhinoceros leather hat,
Right hand holds ornate club, left holds a human heart,
Riding various mounts such as nagas and garudas,
Who subdues the mamos of the charnel grounds, praise to you!

Samaya substances, offerings and torma, outer, inner and secret,
Favorite visual offerings and various objects are arranged.
Although, previously, my wishes were a bit dense,
Do not stop your powerful apparitions, I reveal and confess!

Now respectfully praising with body, speech, and mind,
For us, the masters, disciples, benefactors and entourages,
Provide the good and avert the bad!
Bring increase like the waxing moon in spiritual and temporal realms!

Moreover, swiftly accomplishing all wishes,
According to our prayers, bestow the supreme effortlessly!
And like the jewel that bestows all wishes,
Always protect us with the Three Jewels!
Helena

VS

Dear HD & Helena,

Thank you very much for the prayers / praises composed by the 5th & 14th Dalai Lama.

The 5th Dalai Lama also personally made a famous statue of Dorje Shugden with his own hands.
This statue was originally placed in Trode Khangsar but now can be seen to this day in
Gaden Phelgyeling Monastery in Kathmandu, Nepal

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/index.php?s=Gaden+Phelgyeling+Monastery+in+Kathmandu%2C+Nepal

It was in the original monastery in Tibet, but during the escape of the monks to Nepal in 1959, it was one of the treasured items taken out. When Pelgyeling was re-established in Nepal, this holy statue was re-installed in the protector chapel. It draws many pilgrims who have their wishes fulfilled upon prayer to this sacred image.

triesa

If both the 5th Dalai Lama and the 14th Dalai lama have both written parises to Dorje Shugden, and these are raeally beautiful prayers. It just doesn't make sense that the 14th Dalai Lama is creating all the rumours now that DS is a spirit and can harm practitioners and himself. I really hope more people will be able to see through this and stop talking badly on the 14th Dalai Lama. Instead, by keeping steadfast of our spiritual practice without adding more fire to the current situation will reflect that wer are mindful DS practitioners.

Triesa   

honeydakini

I really love the nice link between this prayer, Dalai Lama and Dungkar Monastery. I heard that it was during a trip to this monastery that the DL was very inspired to write this beautiful prayer. I was watching Kundun just a few weeks ago and saw a scene in Dungkar monastery (probably not the real one, but still evokes a very warm and wonderful feeling). Something intrigues me about this monastery, I don't know why...

Anyway, found this photo online: http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_BMH.A.85.1.html

splendid!

I heard a little about how this monastery used to be Nyingma monastery that then converted to Gelug - is this true? Does anyone have any more information about the history of this monastery? Would looooove to have more information. Thank you!

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
I heard a little about how this monastery used to be Nyingma monastery that then converted to Gelug - is this true? Does anyone have any more information about the history of this monastery? Would looooove to have more information. Thank you!

Hi HoneyD,

Sorry can't confirm whether it was Nyingma, but it is said here below that it belonged to a monastery in Sikkim before Domo Geshe Rinpoche Ngawang Kalsang (1866-1936) took care and rebuilt the gonpa.

Upon request by the people of Tromo to stay with them, Geshe Ngawang Kalsang rebuilt Dungkar Gonpa.

With a white conch manifestation (rang jön) just below the monastery and another one from which issued the sound of a conch when blown into, Dungkar Gonpa has borne that name since 1662. Even before that, there was a temple there.

Long before Domo Geshe Rinpoche took Dungkar Gonpa into his care, it belonged to a monastery in Sikkim. Being located not far from Rabtentse, the former summer palace of the Sikkimese kings in Tromo, there was a period in that country's history when the King of Sikkim visited Dungkar Gonpa annually.

Geshe Rinpoche enlarged the main Buddha statue of the monastery and built another great Maitreya Buddha. The axial pillar (sog shing) for the Maitreya statue is said to have come from a branch of the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya that fell down and landed next to Domo Geshe Rinpoche while he was giving teachings there.

Behind the monastery a spring issued forth through Geshe Rinpoche's presence and blessings. It dried up after the monastery was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. Recently, when some local people, with Geshe Rinpoche's help, started to rebuild Dungkar Gonpa, the water of the spring began to flow again.

After Domo Geshe Rinpoche enlarged Dungkar Gonpa, it attracted many more monks. Discipline was strict, and practice, in time, came to cover many more subjects than was common for a monastery its size (sixty to seventy monks then and about one hundred in the 1950s). Monks memorized many different kinds of texts and learned to perform ritual dances as well as ritual chanting with special melodies, to play many different kinds of musical instruments, to construct three-dimensional mandalas as well as the two-dimensional ones made from colored powder, to make elaborate butter sculptures, and to master many other art forms that relate to religious practice. Although small, Dungkar Gonpa had some of the best dancers and artists in Tibet. Some of the monks also learned about medicine and how to collect different ingredients of medicinal value.

Source: Biography sketch of Domo Geshe Rinpoche which was written by Ursula Bernis in 1995, initially for inclusion in a compendium of biographies of great Gelugpa masters, http://www.nyackbuddhism.org/rinpoche.html

P/s: On a side note, the Dungkar monastery in Kundun was recreated, shot in Morocco - in a studio at Ouarzazate and then later Imlil  8) but I know what you mean. I am sure the real Dungkar Monastery where His Holiness stayed during his escape from Lhasa in the 50s was really fabulous! After all, this was the place that inspired His Holiness to write the praise.

Gabby Potter

Everyone knows that His Holiness actually did composed this prayer to Dorje Shugden, an enlightened being like His Holiness definitely knows better. Mind streams do not just deteriorate like that, there's no way it can happen, especially to enlightened beings like His Holiness the Dalai Lama unless you do not see Him as one. I'm not against His Holiness because I'm a nobody to judge His actions or intentions, nor I'm against the practise of Dorje Shugden. I pray that may the ban be lifted soon.