Author Topic: Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche's Dilemma  (Read 24958 times)

Big Uncle

Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche's Dilemma
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
I was reading bits of the chronology from The Shugden Society Website and came across this entry that broke my heart and offer a glimmer of the enormous dilemma Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche faces. We are indeed so fortunate to be able to practice Dorje Shugden freely! Tulkus like him have to shoulder huge responsibilities beyond our fathoming - maintain the lineage of his predecessors, Dorje Shugden and yet still maintain a spiritual relationship with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. 

August 1998

Choktul Rinpoche, then lived in in western Europe and asked for audience each time, when H.H. Dalai Lama visited Europe. Choktul Rinpoche requested His Holiness' unconditioned, compassionate acceptance to allow him to continue his relation to Dorje Shugden, who has been closely linked with the last three predecessors of the line of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoches. This has been repeatedly refused.

In their last meeting in Europe, in Graz, Austria, in 2003, H.H. Dalai Lama stated his Final Judgement: "If you give up this deity, myself and all Tibetan people will appreciate it very much and our protector Nechung will take care of you and make you more successful and famous than ever. If you do not give up this deity, then your monastic career, like receiving the full monk's ordination and taking Geshe examinations will not be possible. So I leave it to your judgement." Then he concluded the conversation with the English words: "YES or NO?" Choktul Rinpoche, in great disappointment, neither wanting to give up the tradition of his own predecessors, nor wanting to stick out as opponent to His Holiness, chose to change his life-style totally and now lives freely, concentrated in his own Dharma-studies and practices in the USA.

thaimonk

Re: Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche's Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:31:26 AM »

Can you place a link or exact source please.
Thanks

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:59:09 AM »
The account was taken from this website. Click on it and go to the entry for August 1998:-

http://www.shugdensociety.info/historyEvents1998EN.html

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Big Uncle.

Of interest also is the para before what Big Uncle posted from http://www.shugdensociety.info/historyEvents1998EN.html:

The Secret Society of External and Internal Enemy Eliminators makes its death threats against the two young incarnations of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche (13), Tutor of H.H. the Dalai Lama, and Song Rinpoche (11). Trijang Choktul Rinpoche was forced to stop his traditional studies and leave India.

Sad to read of these threats to these attained beings.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Mana

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
I was reading bits of the chronology from The Shugden Society Website and came across this entry that broke my heart and offer a glimmer of the enormous dilemma Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche faces. We are indeed so fortunate to be able to practice Dorje Shugden freely! Tulkus like him have to shoulder huge responsibilities beyond our fathoming - maintain the lineage of his predecessors, Dorje Shugden and yet still maintain a spiritual relationship with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. 

August 1998

Choktul Rinpoche, then lived in in western Europe and asked for audience each time, when H.H. Dalai Lama visited Europe. Choktul Rinpoche requested His Holiness' unconditioned, compassionate acceptance to allow him to continue his relation to Dorje Shugden, who has been closely linked with the last three predecessors of the line of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoches. This has been repeatedly refused.

In their last meeting in Europe, in Graz, Austria, in 2003, H.H. Dalai Lama stated his Final Judgement: "If you give up this deity, myself and all Tibetan people will appreciate it very much and our protector Nechung will take care of you and make you more successful and famous than ever. If you do not give up this deity, then your monastic career, like receiving the full monk's ordination and taking Geshe examinations will not be possible. So I leave it to your judgement." Then he concluded the conversation with the English words: "YES or NO?" Choktul Rinpoche, in great disappointment, neither wanting to give up the tradition of his own predecessors, nor wanting to stick out as opponent to His Holiness, chose to change his life-style totally and now lives freely, concentrated in his own Dharma-studies and practices in the USA.

Very good post and good exploration into possibilities.

Mana

Mana

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Big Uncle.

Of interest also is the para before what Big Uncle posted from http://www.shugdensociety.info/historyEvents1998EN.html:

The Secret Society of External and Internal Enemy Eliminators makes its death threats against the two young incarnations of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche (13), Tutor of H.H. the Dalai Lama, and Song Rinpoche (11). Trijang Choktul Rinpoche was forced to stop his traditional studies and leave India.

Sad to read of these threats to these attained beings.

That is correct, The current Trijang Rinpoche while residing in Gaden received death threats due to the ban on Dorje Shugden implemented by Dalai Lama. Monk guards were deployed 24 hours a day in Gaden Trijang Ladrang the residence of Trijang Rinpoche.

Then there were some violent clashes as the lay Tibetans were incited within the grounds of Gaden Monastery by the Tibetan Govt representatives. It was decided it is safer for Trijang Rinpoche to leave. He departed to Switzerland and to the protective care of His Eminence Gonsar Rinpoche. Gonsar Rinpoche was instrumental for the protection and welfare of the current Trijang Rinpoche for many years.

Mana

beggar

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »
most ironic, i think, is that Trijang Rinpoche's predecessor wrote most extensively and clearly about this practice and this is the lineage upheld by almost all DS practitioners throughout the world now. The lamas really take on so much for our sakes and 'suffer' so many obstacles just so we can have the freedom to practice.

Seems fitting that I have just chanced upon this from Music Delighting. His Holiness Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche really writes with so much clarity on this subject. Perhaps this is the very reason why he manifests to be in this "dilemma" - a lesson for all of us to see how we can handle even the most seemingly dead-ended situations with compassion, clarity and most important of all, by never giving up.

So much to discuss with this extract below... so I open the floor!

##################

Some, who have fallen under the influence of the demon of the partisanship, think and say that this supreme Deity, the great emanated Dharmapala, is no different than an ordinary gyalpo or tsen spirit who has an inferior form as a result of being a monk or lay person who died with bad karma. Leave aside relying upon him as a Protector, they even deride others who do so. There are some, indeed, who echo such claims knowing nothing about it.

Yet all this talk is nothing but babbling speculation. Why? Because this great guardian of the teachings is well known to be the precious supreme emanation from Drepung Monastery’s upper house, Dragpa Gyaltsen, arising in a wrathful aspect. The proof is unmistaken. Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen, as is taught in the lineage, was the final birth in a reincarnation lineage that included the Mahasiddha Birwapa, the great Kashmiri Pandit Shakya Shri, the omniscient Buton, Duldzin Dragpa Gyaltsen, Panchen Sonam Drakpa, and so forth; this is proven by valid scriptural quotation and reasoning.
"These great beings, from a definitive point of view, were already fully enlightened, and even to common appearances, every one of them was a holy being that attained high states of realization. What worse karma could there be than denying this and asserting that he was born in the preta (spirit) realm?"

Therefore, for holy beings it is not at all far-fetched that they might show themselves in a wrathful form out of the power of compassion and prayer for the sake of a special purpose, and it should be recognized that they are emanations of Buddha’s inconceivable secret qualities. But for them to take birth as a sky-wandering preta through the force of negative throwing karma like an ordinary preta would be utterly impossible.

To say it were possible would be to deny the validity of the natural law of cause and effect. Why? From the definitive point of view those holy beings are fully enlightened. Moreover, even from the common point of view, they attained high states of realization in reliance upon guarding their moral disciplines as they would their eyes, from youth onwards throughout their lives.

To say that a causal factor of pure ethical discipline could result in rebirth in a lower realm of existence would be to assert that actions performed could be wasted; that one could experience the results of actions not performed by oneself; and that such scriptural statements as 'From generosity, wealth, from ethics, happiness' are invalid and so forth. As a consequence, one would be turning ones back on Buddha’s teachings as a whole.

Furthermore, from the definitive point of view, that these holy beings were already fully enlightened innumerable ages ago, is clear if one examines the accounts of their lives, and if one were to say that a fully enlightened being could take birth as an ordinary gyalpo or tsen spirit, then one would be asserting that degeneration is possible from the state of full Enlightenment or that someone could be both fully enlightened and an ordinary preta at the same time!

Or else, one would have to say that the accounts of those great beings lives are worthless. A mountain of absurd consequences, previously non-existent distorted ideas, would have to be accepted.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »

August 1998

Indeed it was a tough decision for Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche.  How does one choose between allegiance to one's Guru and the practices he gives us or allegiance to our "king".  It like asking us to choose between our father and mother.

Trijang Rinpoche steadfast stand on his allegiance to his Guru and his practices amid immense political pressure is indeed admirable. Highly attained masters like Trijang Rinpoche will always put spiritual importance above all and their conviction will always be unshakeable because they are attained.  How many people could have withstand such pressure?  How many people would have been disloyal and taken the easy way out?

This is in fact evidence that Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche is no ordinary being.   

Helena

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
his is indeed a very heart breaking post to read.

I can't imagine how difficult and heavy hearted Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche's dilemma was/is. To the point that he had to change his whole lifestyle so that he can continue with the practice of Dorje Shugden. This shows me how committed the young Trijang Rinpoche is and how far he is willing to shoulder this responsibility and commitment, despite the various death threats, accusations and adversities. This is how important and valuable Dorje Shugden is to Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche.

For me, the following words sums up the emotions of this most unfortunate situation. Although it is about the monks in Shartse but I feel it reflects how every Shugdenpa feels.

February 7, 2008

In the assembly hall of Shartse monastery, the disciplinarian with tears in his eyes announced: “Now Dhokhang Khamtsen will be separated from Shartse monastery.” Many monks burst into tears.

Source: http://www.shugdensociety.info/historyEvents1998EN.html:

Helena

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
It is very sad to hear such news.

In light of the suffering that great beings like Choktul Rinpoche endures for the benefit of others, we must do all that is within our power to make the best of the situation.

The fact that we are on this forum, we have been blessed by our Great Protector, Dorje Shugden. Therefore, what we can do to "repay" Chokrul Rinpoche and all other Shugdenpas who have directly suffered so that Dorje Shugden's practice can reach us is to practice sincerely and dillgently as well as continue to pass on this practice to as many other people as possible.

By spreading the practice of Dorje Shugden, who is said to be the perfect Protector during these degenerate time where distractions are many, we are making the best offering: to benefit others and protect the precious doctrine of Lama Tsongkapa.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »

August 1998

Indeed it was a tough decision for Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche.  How does one choose between allegiance to one's Guru and the practices he gives us or allegiance to our "king".  It like asking us to choose between our father and mother.

Trijang Rinpoche steadfast stand on his allegiance to his Guru and his practices amid immense political pressure is indeed admirable. Highly attained masters like Trijang Rinpoche will always put spiritual importance above all and their conviction will always be unshakeable because they are attained.  How many people could have withstand such pressure?  How many people would have been disloyal and taken the easy way out?

This is in fact evidence that Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche is no ordinary being.   

There is so much evidence that Trijang Rinpoche is no ordinary being. These attained Lamas are pure embodiments of the Dharma.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsiluvu

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
Sad is this news, but over the side of the coin it also has a positive side... which is Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche's stand.

I like the fact that eventhough Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche  was being tempted by HHDL, that buy giving up his DS practice and taking Nechug as his main protector, He would be more powerful, more successful, more wealthy, more famous, Trijang Rinpoche was not one bit interested with these possibilities. He in fact did not give up his real commitment and succumb to the 8 worldly concerns. Many of us "ordinary" people would have probably said YES.

By Trijang Rinpoche taking a new course through the hard decision he had to make, he gave many Dorje Shugden practitioners new hope, faith, strength and set the right example for us all to follow if we were put under the same circumstances.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
No matter where we go and what we do, nothing will speak for you more loudly and clearly than our actions over time.

So, if our actions have been consistently honourable, loyal and respectful, we will be regarded as all those things and even be respected for them.

Such is the case with Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche. Despite all that he has had to endure and is still burdened with, he displays deep respect to the Dalai Lama and a deep commitment to Dorje Shugden.

What more do we need to say?
Helena

beggar

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »
Such is the case with Choktrul Trijang Rinpoche. Despite all that he has had to endure and is still burdened with, he displays deep respect to the Dalai Lama and a deep commitment to Dorje Shugden.

What more do we need to say?

So well said!
You can see the same in all Dorje Shugden lamas - no disrespect towards the Dalai Lama or any of his supporters. They remain always patient, compassionate. They just work harder but very quietly and humbly in all their teachings and making the Dharma grow. Actions speak louder than words, you say? These lamas show us how it's done.

I always think this shows the true nature of Dorje Shugden. If DS was really so evil and harmful and out to kill the Dalai Lama, then why are his followers doing what is so opposite? If DS was going to be a threat on Dalai Lama's life, why do Dorje Shugden lamas always advice their students not to criticise, to have compassion and be patient, and always be respectful to the Dalai Lama and all dharma practitioners? If they are following a practice that is so evil, why are these lamas so kind? Why is it so clear that their whole lives are dedicated only towards bringing others happiness and relief? This wouldn't be the work of an evil spirit, would it?

On the other hand.... Followers of the Dalai Lama sadly, don't reflect well on the lama they are trying to protect and acting in the name of. Is breaking monks' windows, heckling monks, ostracising your fellow people, the behaviour of someone who is a devotee of the Buddha of Compassion? The Dalai Lama is a great being but sadly, of late, his students, the ones closest to him don't show the world his greatness in the way they act.

icy

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »

Then there were some violent clashes as the lay Tibetans were incited within the grounds of Gaden Monastery by the Tibetan Govt representatives. It was decided it is safer for Trijang Rinpoche to leave. He departed to Switzerland and to the protective care of His Eminence Gonsar Rinpoche. Gonsar Rinpoche was instrumental for the protection and welfare of the current Trijang Rinpoche for many years.

Mana[/color]

Yes, Gonsar Rinpoche was the main person for the protection and welfare of Trijang Rinpoche.  Apart from Gonsar Rinpoche was Dagpo Rinpoche who financially supported Trijang Rinpoche while he was in Switzerland.

I am very touched how Trijang Rinpoche has to go through this spiritual journey and not attaching to the 8 worldly concerns.  It clearly shows who he is.