Author Topic: Through 20 Years of Prayers, Buddhist Monk Makes Footprints  (Read 5421 times)

icy

Some people think going to the gym three times a week is dedication but Hua Chi, the Chinese monk makes footprints on the floorboard out of devotion and faith everyday over 20 years. 

Hua Chi, a 70-year-old monk has been praying in the same exact spot for over 20 years creating an exact footprint into the centuries old wood of a monastery.

The Chinese monk arrives every day at the steps of the temple and prostrates himself thousands of times every day and has done so for two decades.

Along with 3cm deep footprints, there are two grooves indented in the wood by his arms.

cookie

• Email
Re: Through 20 Years of Prayers, Buddhist Monk Makes Footprints
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:39:30 AM »
Wow ! This immediately brings back memories of me reading about a similar result from Je Tsongkhapa who undertook many long retreats. During one intensive four-year tantric retreat, he performed 3,500,000 prostrations and 1,800,000 mandala offerings, underlining the importance of the preliminary practices. There were also marks on the area where Lama Tsongkhapa performed his prostrations. Plus his hands bled from the constant rubbing of the mandala offering retreat. Such inspirations from this great Buddha !
Its very heartwarming to read about Hua Chi too, as his results is attained in this era despite he is 70 years old. Wonderful !

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
Unbelievable strength in determination, I am still overwhelmed by how much this monk had committed himself to doing these daily postrations. Not only his precision on his consistent devotion but also the fact that he had prayed the exact same spot for 20 years and not an inch apart. I'm now so curious of what goes on in his mind as he executes those thousands of postrations, it would seem as though it had become routined. For a normal layman, our minds would turn numb; often forgetting the main reason to our postrations if we were to be put in the same routined position.  Such powerful mind and body control, amazing.

Klein

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
This is proof that at this day and age, it is still possible to go all the way with our Buddhist practice. The choice is ours to make. Consistency is also key to our practice. Making such indentations on the wooden floor with one's feet is not easy.

There are also other accounts of foot prints made by monks such as the following one made on to a rock. Amazing!

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
This attests to the strength and determination in the monks practice. I rejoice for this monk who has performed so much practice that indents are left. Yes, just like the founder of the Gelugpa tradition Je Rinpoche, he is an example to us all in a world in which people 'simply don't have the time' to practice. This is not something one comes across regularly in this day and age. I rejoice.

RedLantern

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »

Monks are well known for their dedication to prayers. This picture paints a thousand words! Hua Chi is a rare devoted and determined monk. As a Buddhist,he wants to ensure he have a smooth transition to the next life.
His follower is inspired by his incredible determination and devotion.